Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spiderette
Msg: 142
Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just MetPage 3 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
at least half to two thirds of the men i've met on various services don't look as good as their photos. the rest look pretty close to their photos with one guy looking a notch or 2 above his photo a couple of yrs ago. most of those men have said their experiences are pretty similar (lol i'm nosy - i usually ask about their experiences)
 Brooklynz own
Msg: 149
hahah
Posted: 7/3/2008 9:52:06 AM
man that happened to me once...thats y im skeptical to these kinda sites....but wat idid in that situation was straight up ask them y the pic was dfferent and if it sounded like an honest answer id try and work with it and if there was no sparks then there was no sparks...wat more can ya do?
 robinl1
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 7/7/2008 10:48:56 PM
Funny you should bring up this subject. I just had it happen to me this weekend. This woman must have had a pic at least 10 or more years younger as she did not look even close to her real life self. As she invited me to her place and we were going to spend the day together , i knew right off the git go that we were in no way compatable. I'm normally a very considerate person but after about a half hour i told her i had to go. There was no connection there what so ever. People who put up either old pics or pics of someone else are just setting themselves up for a big fall when their date shows up and then realizes that the pic was so far off and bails on them. By her reaction to me saying i was leaving i could tell that she probably had been through this before.
 chickalina
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 4:54:37 PM
It actually did happen to me. I was waiting at this bar\restaurant for this guy I met on line. I saw his pic but the great thing was he never saw mine. As this guy approached and asked if I was "so and so" I said no I am sorry I am waiting for my husband. He stayed around for a while and was asking other women who they were. I left right after that and laughed all the way home.
 Vannili
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 12:10:33 AM
My photos has a different personality,One guy comment on my pictures that I posted in another dating site,>"if they are same woman ? I scrutinize my pictures and sure I look different in every pose and I thought my late father-law 96 is senile when he ask me the album of pictures of beautiful women ,my album pictures of myself.....
 kurdboy
Msg: 173
Posted: 7/25/2008 7:16:45 AM
I met lady she has worng age and , worng Pic in profile , guess what she was 69 year old the profile sayes, she is only 39, ,,, iwa nice to her, but i text my friend said call me and tell me , he needs see me , so i eat n 7 minutes, and i left her, but told her on the phone, please dont , keep those pics, online,( put right pics of your self> but she is Not i dont say who is she, but she is right there hhhhhh,,,,,,,, so Guys be careful of some shiny profile with hot pics,

Hey girl dont worry i dont say your name hehehhehehe, iam nice always,
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 178
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:22:23 AM
I think a body shot is nice to have as well...unfortunately, when you have little tiny squares to put your photos in...one tends to choose the ones which highlight the best...and those happen to be face or upper torso shots.

It's pretty simple...keep your photos current...and no photo shop! LOL

I recently had a friend tell me how he went to meet a woman who showed up at their first meet at least (not exaggerrating!) 100 pounds heavier, oxygen tank in tow! Dude is only 35...so I could empathize with his shock of getting a grandmotherly date!
 SmartSassyBBWinLA
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:50:48 AM
"I have to admit that I'm guilty of posting an old photo, as well as a recent one. I clearly state in the captions which is which. I've been asked why I post the old photo at all. In my case, it's because I believe the shot most clearly captures my personality. Yes, it's great to know what someone looks like, but I also enjoy seeing a photo that tells me something about who the person is inside"

Well as far as I am concerned what we looked like years ago is irrelevant to who we are today. Who needs to be reminded of what time has done? Certainly not the potential date. I am glad to see that you have switched your profile pic to your current photo--you look great now--guys like to see the whole package so another pic of the rest of you instead of the "old" you would probably be more beneficial. If you like having a "professional" looking photograph--slurge and get a photo shoot done of you now. It is very liberating to have great shots on hand.

Good luck in your search--
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 182
Posted: 9/16/2008 1:19:34 PM
True...they may not be awful people, but as most have said...it is misrepresenting yourself and that alone, is dishonest. It is like people think they can just "capture" you with something else, such as their charming personality alone! LOL

And VeryGreenEyez...I empathize! I cannot tell you how many times I have sat waiting to meet someone, and it seems like I find myself saying, "Well...that COULD be them??" Ick. Crappy feeling!
 blackbird76
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2008 1:47:22 PM
That's sweet indehills :-)
Did your date look better than the pictures then? Or different, but not in a way that bothered you much?

I once met a guy whose photo was only a year older (so he said!) but he had changed a lot from the picture on his profile. It's nothing to do with the appearance of the person, it's just that when you've only ever had one picture to go on and then they appear different, especially as some people have met people who turned out to be a lot older, it's just freaky!!!

I mean, if you meet someone at work, or in a pub, and they're nice and kind, then you accept someone for who they are, not what they look like, but the fact that some people hide their face out of embarrassment is what makes it freaky, not the appearance of whatever it is they're embarrassed about.
If you're embarrassed about your appearance for whatever reason you can't hide it from people, other people might not be as bothered about it as you are, but if you're just plain old dishonest then you'll get busted - I don't know what you think you'll achieve - it's easier to be honest. It's beyond my realms of understanding why some people hide their true appearance.

And the guy I met - I explained that he was different from his photos, he explained that it was a year old, and he was a friendly enough chap, but I couldn't date him after that, it just put me off!
 amaze me
Msg: 192
Posted: 9/17/2008 10:58:19 AM
Funny...a friend and I were just talking about this last night. My reaction is *exactly* the same as the OP. If you're lying about something as obvious as that--what else are you lying about??

This is a pretty small city, with one or two big malls. In the last couple of months I've recognized a half dozen women from this site in those malls. At least, it looked like them, only noticeably older and heavier versions of the pics they have on their profile.
 TheCreativeGuy
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2008 2:32:42 PM
I figure that if you've got to lie to get a date, then you're not worth dating.

Conversely, and In my case, the whole point of being here is to find someone who is a match to me. And, if I lie about myself, then what's the point? Am I here to find someone here who is honest and truthful AND funny AND a good conversationlist?

You bet! ;)

Maybe people who feel they need to fabricate their current existence need to think on that a little, si?
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:57:13 PM
TygerLaw...actually, your main photo is against POF rules...main images must clearly show the users face. :)

jhgough4....I agree that body type and weight images are an issue at times....and I honestly see it more with women, than men! (when hosting parties) However, to be fair....having "a few extra pounds" and then "BBW" as choices...with nothing in between, makes it where you HAVE to choose one or the other. Me...I am NOT BBW, but I am more than a "few" pounds overweight....but I feel the latter more accurately describes me. (This is also why I keep pics showing full body, as much as I can)
 WanderingRain
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 7:02:09 PM
It's fairly common practice. But just like buying any product: let the buyer beware.
Good luck to everyone!
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 7:50:50 PM
just about 6 months ago i met some guy from singlesnet. comparing his profile including his picture and what he looked like the day i met him was completely off base. not everyone is going to look identical with their pics..moods change, change of lighting, sitting or standing still vs moving, and the dreaded fact that for some people pictures add weight to the person. this guy was shorter than me (his profile said he was taller), had gray hair (his picture has red hair), he was also a lot heavier then what his profile said (average). oh, there was also the fact that other than his hair being gray he must have aged 15 years in a matter of a few short months since he said his picture was recent. i can understand a slight change between a photo and in person but not a drastic change. it would be nice if people would keep a current photo in their profiles. it's okay to have some older ones but more recent would be better, nothing older than a year.
 sunbabieal
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:15:25 PM
I too got burned when I first started meeting ppl online. He didn't look anything like his pics, I didn't even know him. When he came up and introduced himself, I responded by saying "Pardon me, but you are mistaken because you look nothing like the guy I have seen pics of." I turned and walked out!
 designer3d712
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 9:21:18 PM
I've experience this many years ago. I was chatting with this one girl online for a few weeks. She had a picture and she was pretty. We exchanged phone numbers, and a few nights later I gave her a call. This might sound stupid, but I felt that her voice did not match her Picture. I questioned her on this, and I ended up being right. The picture that she had up was of her Cousin. She sent me a picture of herself through email, and she looked totally different. I told her sorry, but I was interested in her cousin.

I think I look different for the better in person then I do in pictures. Pictures can trick the eye. There should be a pic requirement to show at least 2. One face shot, and 1 full body shot. I don't think most people know what average is. Just be honest. If you are only showing the famous " Take a picture of yourself from the neck up", then you are hiding something. I see this too often and I try to avoid them. Just say so if you have a few extra pounds.

I'm only trying this now after many years because my friend had success on a different site. I'm not quite impressed with the emails I've been getting so far, but I'm going to hold on for a little longer to see what happens.
 GreenEyesGoldenLocks
Msg: 218
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:08:54 AM
I just had this happen not only was the photo not him he was only about 5 foot tall and not the 5'7 he claimed. His chances were over the second I saw him because he lied. I did not confront him I just told him that it was not going to work out and that I needed to get home. Now I have had dates where the guy has gained weight, lost hair or whatever and not held it againsth them, not everyone takes pics all the time. Only once or twice has the guy looked much better in person.
 designer3d712
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:35:22 PM
I was just talking to my friend at work today about this, and she told me that the " Average " size is a 14 for women. ( I don't have facts, I'm just going by what she heard, or read) I guess they go by the average population. You should list your body type by calculating your BMI. I'm not discriminating against anyone. I just want them to be honest. Take multiple pictures of yourself. You can't hide your looks if you're going to want to meet someone in person. It will save you from getting hurt.
 okielady4u
Msg: 220
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:47:27 PM
Yes I have...I like u corresponded for quite a while when we decided to meet...in the picture he was drop dead gorgeous . In person he looked nothing like the pic...more like Quaisimoto....He was also about a foot shorter and about 10 years older than he said. .He said he hoped I didn't mine his "little joke"....a I was poliet but left soon after meeting and never responded again. It wasn't just an old pic...it wasn't him at all...I was pissed...I had driven 130 miles to meet. He still has the profile posted ...so ladies beware of anyone u talk to from Comanche, Oklahoma
 professora
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:52:37 PM
I am 62 and this happened to me recently. A successful, well known dentist in town saw my profile and we began to correspond. I called my personal dentist, and he said he knew this fellow. I never thought to verify the age. I assumed the now infamous date would be his stated age of 65 b/c he has a reputation to protect. When we met, I said to myself "oh...my he sent his dad". The man looked 80 plus yrs old. We had a nice evening but his skin told his age and this kept bothering me. I thanked him and when I got home googled the ole' gent.....sure enough the lying dentist is 76 yrs old.

How did I handle this? Very simply...no drama, no lectures. I sent him an email which said "googled you.......76 yrs old"

He wrote me saying that he had not read my profile about truthfulness and credibility; thus he was not aware how important this is to me. LOL

I never responded! Silence is the best treatment.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:36:10 PM
Maybe I am retreading over ground that has already been covered in this thread, but is there such a thing as not being able to have a decent photo taken of yourself, even professionally? Someone who might look perfectly normal in real life, but cannot photography well? (I did do a forum search for this topic, and didn't find one.)
 singlex002
Msg: 231
Posted: 12/15/2008 8:51:47 PM
I don't usually show my pic on the profile, but will send one out if the interrest is there....
Have learned the hard way, not to meet up if I do not see a pic first...
5'1" and 180 pounds is not petete in my opinion.....
If you lie about what you look like, you will lie about other things as well....
Every person in attracted to differant things and types of people.. So why not take a chance and be honest....
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 235
Posted: 12/18/2008 2:57:30 PM
What's reallllly scary is, when you look at multiple pics on a person's profile and you find yourself thinking, "Hmmm....ok, if he looks like this one, but ick if he looks like this one!"

Seriously....I am all for updating pics...but I am kinda leerie on the whole showing pics with and without facial hair....showing pics bald and not bald. I mean, are these years apart, or do you really change that frequently?? LOL
 ceaser_73
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2009 3:18:04 PM
I think this happens alot nowdays. Myself I always ask if thier photos are current or recent, and if them can send one either e mail of pic im. If anyone has a picture from glamour shots from the mall, it is a sure dead give away, or some photos that are scanned and have photo processing dates on them would suggest they don't even own a digital camera.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >