Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Piav
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just MetPage 4 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Well this is a sad but a very typical thing some do. I recently went & met someone who altered their pic plus it was old and I tried to look past that but its tuff when I felt decieved. ( webcams may have to be used to verify dern shame it has to come to that) I think if they can do that what else are they altering about their life to impress another etc. Oh as far as the guy I did not say anything to the guy but it was on my mind and was a little bit of a let down, so of course no 2nd date will ever happen.

If you can not love yourself enough to be yourself and proud of it then how can you expect anyone else too? It always starts from within.

For all the ones who think but, but, but then older chics message me or I like this or that hey man or women maybe a they are just not for you. Eventually you will get what you like as long as your Honest.
Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 1/8/2009 8:05:21 AM
so are you still talking or what
 kenfla38
Msg: 246
Posted: 1/8/2009 1:37:48 PM
Obviously this is a VERY COMMON PROBLEM... I often wonder what someone is thinking when they post a 10-15 year old picture, or a picture of themselves when they weighed 120 when they're not 200.... Or a "Glamour Shots" photo which looks NOTHING like the way they normally look.

...While no one is going to post a picture of themselves they don't like... IT'S REASONABLE TO EXPECT those pictures to look like them, be relatively recent, and be recognizable as the person you're going to meet...

While pictures of your DOG, CAT, FAVORITE VACATION SPOTS, FRIENDS... you as a REDHEAD, then a BURNETTE, then a BLONDE may each be "good pictures"... THIS IS A DATING SITE. Few on here are here to see "good pictures"... WE WANT TO SEE WHO WILL BE COMING TO MEET US AT THE RESTAURANT.

...If you're a blonde with short hair, post a picture to that effect. If you're 200 lbs, don't post an old high school picture of when you were 120lbs... If the you look very different in several pictures, or post grainy, hard to see pictures, it's reasonable to expect to be asked (courteously) for a few recent, clear pictures... If you courteously ask for some pictures, and the other person is unwilling, or makes a "big issue" out of your request... YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER and your suspicious have been confirmed (or so I've found to almost always be the case).

SOME PEOPLE on dating sites are of the MISTAKEN impression that if they post a good picture (of someone else or of when they were 80 pound lighter) that when they finally meet their "victim", their personality will so overwhelm the other person that the other person will ignore the extra 80 lbs, extra 10 years, or the fact that they look nothing like how they represented themself to look.... I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THIS WORKING... Start with a lie and/or misrepresentation, and so goes the other person's belief in your credibility.
 evrybdy
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2009 4:26:53 PM
this is why I created a whole website with nothing but pictures of me! LOL I do admit to having some glamorous pics, though those were done by a friend for his photography website, and then I have some ones of me, when I weighed a bit more that I like (I am too skinny right now and need to get a doc to get this fixed), but if someone wants recent shots, I won't have a problem giving them! And I had a few from xmas and new year's up, but took them down as it' not xmas nor new years anymore. I actually get people emailing me saying how much they like how often I change my shots! I mostly do that cause I get bored with myself.lol

It has happened to me a few times, where they didn't look like the pic they gave. I was more surprised and didn't know who I was hanging out with. Embrace pictures, folks!

M
 Msh90
Msg: 252
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:43:47 PM
I worry that my profile picture doesn't look like me but to be honest the both photos I have up are recent it's just I change apperance quite easily. A new haircut, a few days in the sun and a week of intense gym workouts and i'm a different looking person. I think I acturally look better in person that the photos but I just have a thing where I get bored of the way I look so I change my hair colour often and clothes style. Both photos I have up are taklen only three months apart and to be honest neither of them really look like me.

I just added another photo to make sure i'm not decieving anyone.
 Msh90
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/26/2009 4:00:44 PM
I was messaging a guy from here who had photos of an actor (Kevin Zegers) as his profile picture. Now this Kevin Zegers isn't a very famous actor here in Australia so I bought it well I was skepical as if you look like Kevin you don't really need to be on POF now do you? So anyway we chatted for hours on msn and then one day I watched that movie Transamerica and low and behold there was the guy from POF as the main actor.... I felt so stupid and I totally let him have it the next time I messaged him. What seriosuly was the point of that? Other than wasting both our times?
 Msh90
Msg: 256
Posted: 1/26/2009 6:42:19 PM
I don't really understand lying about your weight I mean surely it is more hurtful to get rejected after you've met someone because you lied to them rather than just being honest in the beginning and maybe not getting as many initial contacts?
 bigdinwks
Msg: 262
Posted: 2/1/2009 6:38:19 PM
I've had it happen a few times. The last one the gal had obiously put on a LOT of weight from her picture. But we went and had a few drinks and she was a pretty neat person, i still took her to the motel room and we had a GREAT time. We still communicate but her shift changed and it's a little hard to get back together. I was just like you know what, screw it. A lay is a lay.
 cfb62
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2009 7:08:06 AM
Just had a date with a guy who said he was 51, upon meeting in person, he had to be at least early 60s, and his picture was clearly 15-20 years old.
If they're going to lie about that stuff, there's no way I'd consider spending more than one hour with them.
I didn't bother saying anything to him about it. I figured why bother, I really felt sorry for him, living in his pretend world.
 Redlance71
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:54:00 AM
I dislike dihonsety in profiles. People who do not post pictures get no views from me. I'm not prince charming but I am picky about certain appearances. If I met a woman from PoF and she did not at all resemble her picture(s) I personally would not have any real desire to keep contact. But, admit it, if the person you were meeting looked like joe the plumber or Whoopi Goldberg and he/she shows up looking like Brad Pitt or Salma Hayek - you would not be kicking that to the curb based on profile error. You'd be like "Error? What error?" or "Pass go, collect 200 dollars!".
 FTWFella
Msg: 277
Posted: 2/14/2009 3:38:33 PM
I find it very common that photos are old and even older than the woman admits... I met a nice (early 50's) woman just recently on POF - she posted a youngish looking photo - blond hair ... later on after asking for another photo - she sent one - where she was heavier and looked a fair bit older (but not bad) and she had totally dark hair (ethnic variety). She took offense when I ask where the blond hair went (as she had blond also listed in her profile)... Oh well!

POF's photo format often results in undersized photos where one cannot make out any detail, long shots - distance shots are often posted - hey they look like a speck on the landscape, or just facial shots (dead give away for way too many lbs) ...

Photos on POF cannot be enlarged and leave a lot to guess work.

Suggestions:

- Exchange photos by regular email (free - nearly anonymous web mail is available all over the net - Yahoo, GMail, etc.) -- then ask for several more shots to be sent or ask for the originals of what has been posted - if not big or clear enough to view on POF.

- OR - do as I do - provide a web link in the POF profile to a whole album of photos - that can be enlarged on screen...

- Maintain a whole set of photos on one of the Social Network sites.

Asking for more photos often results in a fained insult and sputterings 'What - you don't believe I look like the photos I posted... My answer - you could but the POF photo postings are so small - I wouldn't know...

FTWfella
 Gaddflye
Msg: 286
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:08:04 PM
I once met a woman who had used a friend's photo. Naturally the friend was a knockout whereas this woman looked like something the cat dragged in.
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 11:57:00 PM
Sure - Hasn't everyone who has met a few people from dating sites?

I've had mostly good experiences with people who often looked better in person than in their pics. I did have one flirtation over a period of months though with a gal who seemed extremely compatible, but kept coming up with some excuse not to meet. When we finally did, she was probably 40 lbs heavier than any of the dozens of pictures she had sent me over that time. I honestly wouldn't have recognized her, if she wasn't getting out of her car in my driveway.
Then the next day she sent another pic, this time of "the real her".

As others have pondered - What was she thinking?
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2009 12:16:35 AM

I was just thinking about this. I just put up a new picture & worried that I may look better in my photos & would end up disappointing the guys who actually see me in person.

If you are easy to recognize from your photo when you meet someone for the first time, don't worry about it. That's all I ask, at least. We know that you pick a photo that shows you off to the best advantage - It only makes sense!
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 297
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2009 4:09:12 PM

Now how the hell could someone gain 10 dress size in 3-4 months beats me.

She ate her last boyfriend?

Actually, I have the opposite thing going on -- I have lost quite a bit of weight since my profile pics were taken (excpet for my main pic which is only a month old), but I haven't had any really good recent photos taken, so I'm stuck with those for now. My last date even commented how I really need to update my profile pics because I look a lot better now than they let on.
 oneofgods
Msg: 303
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 5:26:18 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes. I met this guy after talking on the internet and then the phone. Then finally we decided to meet. He told me to wear some thing very nice. And I did. I drove an hour and a half to meet this guy. I didn't notice him because I was lookin for what I had been relating to. He recongnized me. He said oh wow you look just like your photo and I said oh my god you dont. I asked god to for give me and I took off and jumped back on the freeway. I cant explain to you what he looked like. This has happend three times. And I think people that do this make it hard for the ones that are real. What do one do. lol
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 307
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 8:09:55 PM

A couple of times, I have been pleasantly surprised, as the person looked BETTER in person than in the photo.

That happened to me on my last date. I got to the place and asked the hostess if a single woman had shown up, she said someone had and pointed her out to me. I actually said that wasn't her -- she looked an order of magnitude better in person than she had in her pics.

It wasn't until I walked back outside and called her cell that I realized it had been her after all.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 310
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2009 10:15:57 PM
I hear ya...
I always try to keep my photos up to date. It shows all my deficiencies, but what the heck.
 Applette
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2009 11:40:35 PM
One of men's greatest complaints ... trust me I know this because I ask .......... IS .......... so what is your biggest complaint about online dating ....... response is ...........THE LADIES DO NOT LOOOK LIKE THEIR PICTURES ........ hahaha ..... MEN do the very same thing that ladies do ...... only it is so much more apparent. Bless them .. they are trying ............. and more trying and trying ...... lol oh yes .....

Must also tell u ......... they lie about their age as well ......... ummmm who would of thought such a thing! And I thought only we ladies did that ...... bad bad ladies .. how dare u even image u could look like that considering u had four babies ... supported your home financially ..... and still look like Madonna ..... opps .... bad me .. MADONNA looks like hell warmed over!
 Applette
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2009 11:58:32 PM
Actually the one thing that hurts the most is the person (man) who is drop dead ugly who responds to my profile and assumes that I would even be a little bit interested ....... hahahaa ..... omg .. that really hurts .. like would I be that desperate!!!!? Come on people use a little common sense .. or did that die when the U. S.A. ecomony went down the toilet ... I am so sick of it all! Rush L. I have to agree with u on one point .. (even thou I think u suck slew water) ... THE AVERAGE " DOEDOE BIRD" DOES NOT GET IT!
 evrybdy
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2009 11:37:12 PM
I just redid my profile and put up all photos from this last year or so. For me, it's sometimes hard to realize how much weight I have lost. Yes, that's right, lot and I have to show my progress and I am gaining weight again, but though I do have one of my own "glamour" shots (though it was taken by a friend, not at some place, and it was for his photo portfolio, so I did it more as a favor for him.lol) and an older photo of me and mom cause I love and miss her so much, everything else is recent, including one shot from yesterday! I want people to know that in my quest for friends and whatever else might blow my way, that this is how I really look. I am 90 ish pounds, and am trying very hard to get back to what I was, and I won't misrepresent at all! =)

M
 singlebookgeek
Msg: 326
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:57:19 AM
I've met women, who have horrible photos of themselves up. Just awful,
How can they think that anybody would do anything but run away?
Isn't the point of this site to be truthful?
 Rockymtnguy07
Msg: 336
re: Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 3/30/2009 9:20:43 PM
..Just to chime in, I also find it very misleading and no way to start a potential relationship by being misled by a profile photo. This just happened to me a week ago. Upon meeting, it came to light that the profile pics were from several years and more than several pounds ago. It was somewhat of a letdown. Still stayed and conversed and had dinner, but upon leaving, no words were needed to convey that there wouldn't be a second or subsequent meeting.

I don't know how folks can think that they can get away with something like that. Maybe she was just after a free meal heh.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 339
re: Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:31:31 PM
That's actually happened to me a number of times. I think often it's because when peeps look at themselves in the mirror, they're looking straight ahead. And if a little something is hanging or wagging, they sort of adjust facial expression until they look a tad better. And that's what we fix in our minds as how we look. When we're selecting pics, those are the ones we choose.

What most don't realize is that *others* very seldom see us straight on after we've adjusted our faces. . . . Odd noses are particularly deceptive: they may look absolutely normal in a straight on head shot, and be very very different and very commanding when seen in profile or 3/4.

That said, no, I don't believe anyone has ever been deliberately deceptive. And no, it's never been a deal breaker, though other things have been. Maybe I've just been lucky. . . .

krys315
Msg: 343
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 5:37:35 PM
wow. that is crazy. thats why i dont mneet anyone here
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >