Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Do you remember yourself before 1 year old?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Trouble with 'sixth sense' stuff and tiny children is, that we accept what ever happens as entirely normal. So if we WERE talking to people who others failed to see, we wouldn't necessarily remember that that happened, since we would accept ALL that happened as being normal.
 JustDukky
Msg: 58
Do you remember yourself before 1 year old?
Posted: 8/6/2011 2:00:41 AM
if you are remembering things before the age of two years, it is your spirit/soul that is remembering because the brain is not wired to remember anything until age two. nice to read how so many spirits remember.

That's a nice notion, but I would say it isn't entirely accurate. From birth, the neurons start growing and making connections, so putting an arbitrary age for development of what is really a gradual wiring process can lead to erroneous conclusions.

Case in point... I have another memory, this one from about age 12-18 months (probably about 14 months based on average development... I could stand and walk, but not reliably and often wound up on my ass...sorta like now after a trip to the bar). The base of my crib had a label of a bunny on it. I remember seeing it on one of my climbing "excursions" out of my crib (yes I was a climber...drove my mother nuts!). One day I went to look at it and found that all that was left was a torn paper remnant still stuck to the crib. I remember wondering where the bunny went, not realizing it had been me that tore it off the crib bit by bit on a few other "excursions." This was (many years) later confirmed by my mother.

Here we have a situation where my memory circuits were wired enough to remember the bunny, but not sufficiently developed to remember what I had done to it.
 koncrete
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/9/2011 1:44:24 AM
I know with certainty when I was 10 to 11 months old I have a 3 second memory of crawling up the stairs and everyone cheering me on at the top as I crawled.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/9/2011 3:20:43 PM
I remember being asked where I wanted to be born.

I said " Earth ! "

Then I was asked where on Earth.

I said " As long as the society is relatively sane and it's free of natural disasters "

..... should've asked for less rain and a hockey team that could win the cup too....

But I can't complain !

joemac356
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2011 4:43:30 PM
We remember what we make important enough to recall.
Sometimes, that importance is temporary, but the memory remains.
Memory can be reinforced, as in something as simple as thinking about the remembered incident/object/feeling, whatever.

I remember things that my father used to say I couldn't, because I was too young at the time.
I can vividly recall the smell of wet plaster and wallpaper from my dad and an uncle removing the wall that separated the dining room from the living room. I would have been only a few weeks old, as this was when the work was done.
I also recall being in my crib in my parents' room one night. It was dark and there was a flashing red light against the window, and a constant loud humming that droned on for hours. I remember being bothered by the noise, wanting it to stop so I could sleep.
I found out years later when describing that night that it was in late March that there was a major fire a couple of blocks away and they had a 1938 International pumping from the hydrant just outside. I know this because they still have the truck. I later joined the same fire company and even rode and drove that International.
I was born on the 29th of February (yeah, I know...), so I was only a few weeks old.

I remember odd little things from before I could walk, feelings and sounds. Smells are especially memorable and can instantly jar trivial things in my mind.

I can clearly picture a small glowing orange light in the kitchen at night.
It turns out that it was an indicator on an electric freezer that my dad swore had been moved to the basement before I was born. He said it was only in the kitchen for a very short time, going into the basement when my mum wanted more space in the kitchen. Mum doesn't even remember the freezer ever being in the kitchen, but my older sister does, and she corroborates my recollection.

Speaking of my older sister, she remembers an incredible number of things from early childhood. We love to get together and talk about things from way-back-when. Reminiscing in our old age...
 Molly Maude
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2011 8:24:07 PM
my first memory is from maybe 8 months of age when I was sitting on my Grandpa's lap in the back seat and Daddy was driving ... I was letting my duckies fly in the wind out the window ... it was a wooden painted mama duck and 2 baby duckies tied together that I pulled on the floor and they quacked and waddled as they walked ... anyway, I was flying them out the window and they flew out of my hand and my Daddy started to pull the car over to go back and get them but Mama yelled at Daddy and said something along the lines of it was all my fault and I could learn to live without the duckies ... I cried for a very long time and my baby mind reinforced that memory so I could remember to be mad at Mama ... and I was for a very long time ...

my next memory was walking out the front door of our house and climbing down the steps from our porch, walking next door to my cousin Neva's house, climbing up on her porch and going inside the house which was very dark, seeing Neva sleeping on the sofa and throwing myself on her tummy, shrieking with delight ... she was napping because she was 8 months pregnant ... and I surprised her ... so I would have been 9 months old at that time ... I can clearly remember the expression on Neva's face when I woke her ... I loved Neva ... she was my favorite person ...

next memory is someone holding me by the tummy which hurt and I was squealing and trying to make them put me down ... they held me over Neva's newborn baby ... and said probably, "this is your new cousin and you'll be best friends" or something like that ... I'm guessing ... I don't remember what they said ... but I stopped squirming and just looked and looked at that baby, sleeping in her buggy ... I clearly remember every detail of how that baby looked ... and ... in baby language, I thought something along the lines of, "I think I don't LIKE this at all!" I was 10 months old for that one ...

in order to form a memory, I think the thoughts have to have a strong emotion associated with them and need to be encouraged to stay around ... incidentally, my parents didn't tell me the above memories, I told THEM and they confirmed ...

from that last memory to the next one ... there was a huge gap when, apparently, everything went well!
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/11/2011 8:49:03 PM
I have a grand total of 12 memories before the age of 18. All else has been repressed.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/11/2011 9:14:53 PM
I have this one, but i can't tell if maybe it was a dream and I've convinced myself it's a memory. But who dreams of themself as a baby? I don't know, maybe it is, but i always remembered it. It was before i was 2 because that's when we moved from the house i was born in. I was of the age where i was in a crib still, don't know what age babies are in cribs. but my bedroom was at the top of the house, i had a crib in the middle of the room, and i remember the two pictures by a window of these velvet clowns. I "remember" standing at the window. That's it.
 trinity818
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/13/2011 3:11:09 PM

I have a grand total of 12 memories before the age of 18. All else has been repressed

lol. Now this I can relate to. I only saved a couple of the best ones. My first memory though, is from about age 2. Just sitting on the floor looking up a steep set of stairs in the old farmhouse we lived in.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2011 3:52:11 PM
I remember at the age of about 2 ... my sister laying on a blanket on the rug to my left ... I was "riding" the back of the sofa, pretending it was a horse ... knowing full well that my mother was going to come pull me off any second and yell at me for being up there ... there were curtains to my right ... my mother came into the room and said, apparently to some adult, "I have some awful news!" ... the other adult (don't remember who) asked what it was ... before she answered, I hoped it wasn't that my uncle (who was serving in the Army) had been hurt ... I worried about him a lot ... my mother said that my best friend, another 2-year-old named Diane, had died ... I remember the entire scene very clearly ... the words she used exactly ... sadly, she was quite explicit, probably thinking I didn't understand ...

when I asked about it later, my mother said she hadn't remembered Diane dying until I reminded her ...
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/13/2011 5:25:23 PM
Trust me, Trinity, the ones I DO have ain't that good either.

Systematic emotional and physical abuse will do that.
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/13/2011 6:06:46 PM
My Mom told me i wouldn't let my Dad hold me before i turned 1 year old (even back then I was Mom's girl ). I do however have 3 solid (if a bit vague) memories to share... 1.) I remember being very little (under 6 months) and Mom would try to go out and do some food shopping.....I'd cry hysterically until she returned,in my playpen. (My poor Dad TRIED to soothe me,but I wouldn't let him!) 2.) I remember laying in my crib,sucking my toes,and watching my mobile dance for me....I loved that mobile...... (I was about 10 or 11 months). 3.)I remember my big sister (we're 14 months apart....how did my Mom DO it???) and being in our living room; SHE was being really silly for me, ( I was in a walker;maybe 9 or 10 months old) She kept running in,making silly faces and silly sounds at our Christmas Tree,and dropping things ALL over,and I started laughing then quickly became absolutely HYSTERICAL she had me laughing SO hard!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >