Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 agentm83
Msg: 32
Would you date a guy or girl who didn't drink?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Actually, does anyone actually not drink since they find the taste of alcohol unpleasant?

I know at least one girl that doesn't drink for that reason.
 prurire
Msg: 33
Would you date a guy or girl who didn't drink?
Posted: 7/2/2008 3:12:54 PM
Of course I would. Why should it matter?

I wouldn't date an alcoholic.. but someone that doesn't drink doesn't bother me a bit.

I'm rarely drink, but I have my moments.
 sarasotagal76
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/2/2008 3:20:18 PM
With the exeption of one friend who is allergic the rest who totally do not drink are recovering alchoholics (spell check). Recovering alhoholics usually while drinking develop some very irrational thinking and behavioral patterns. But when they stop their patterns do not completely dissapear. They improve but it still can be pretty impressive.....
 Georgia_blue_eyes
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/2/2008 7:33:03 PM
cookie, I agree with you the profiles can be misleading without enough multiple choices. I might have several drinks during a years time, and then none at all the next year or so, but I would not feel that I am being truthful if I say I don't drink at all, so I picked "socially."

I drive when I am out during my normal day to day activities or even meeting friends, so I do not drink while driving, and even though my alcohol consumption is light, I were on a date I wouldn't pass up a good Margarita as long as someone else was driving .
 JamesP166
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 8:06:23 PM
hum

Seems that the concept of social drinker varies as much as when women say a few extra lb's

Some Social means when I go out to a bar and have quite a few.

To others it means just a drink once in a while. - - - -

Some light means - had wine at Christmas and others means a glass every night. - -
to really hang out and have quite a few, but only once a week.

I am truly a light drinker - - and do not like to be around those that partake to excess.
With excess meaning to the point of really feeling it. - - To the point that they could be risking a DUI. - - - - This means spending the night drinking in a bar or having a group of guys over for a barbecue on Sunday with a cooler full of beer.

but then I am not against a glass of a wine at a get together. or sharing a glass with my lady friend on a night out or romantic dinner. - - - -

and tend to want this type of person as my partner. - - - - not a person that needs to drink at a party or a night out to make sure that they feel good or have a good time.

I have seen too many people - - effected by drink and drugs that I want to make sure that does not happen to me - - - and besides I do not like the feeling of excess.
and the fact that I tend and have never tended to like to be around that type of person. - - just not me.

I find that women like this aspect about me. If she is a drinker, wants to have enough so that she could risk a DUI, she is not my type of woman. Her problem and not mine.

But many women complain about the amount their men drink and love their beers with their buddies and are in effect looking for a really light to non-drinker.

Jim P.
 Odessateach
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/6/2008 12:54:51 PM
I'm a non drinker and I've come across this before. It really does depend on how strong you feel about drinking. If you are okay with people drinking around you, let them know. However if you are on the other end of the spectrum you need to let them know that also.
 girlwillbegirl
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/6/2008 3:22:53 PM
I have been sober for many years so I'm very happy to date someone who doesn't drink.
 simplelady66
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/6/2008 4:13:24 PM
I don't drink and neither does my guy. But he is in the minority. Every other man I have ever been with has drank at least a little.

Didn't bother me in the least, unless they were extremely stupid about it. I do not enjoy being a designated driver every where we go. Once in awhile is ok, but not all the time.

It is your choice as to what you will accept and what you won't in a partner. We can't tell you what is best for you.

Actually, does anyone actually not drink since they find the taste of alcohol unpleasant?

That would be me *raising hand*. Can't stand the taste or smell of it. Hate kissing someone who has been drinking, especially beer. I also can't handle the migraines I get from even one drink. Not worth it.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 6:38:12 PM
It's funny....I drink very little, because I LOVE the taste of alcohol. Give me a pint of Tequila, a lemon and salt shaker, and I can go to town. That's the problem....

When I do drink, I have a two drink limit, and choose my two drinks very carefully.

Friends will ask what kind of liqueur I want after dinner....I say give me a bit of everything...they look at me like I'm nuts...then they try it, and like it...and you get a different drink every time.
 mystery2me
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/6/2008 6:51:30 PM
It seems that I have dated many non drinkers. As long as they are comfortable with my drinking, I am more than happy with their choice. I am way more uncomfortable with heavy drinkers, and would not be compatible with someone who does drink heavily.
 zopz
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 6:56:38 PM
I prefer someone that doesn't drink at all, but as long as it's not heavy drinking I'm good. If someone does drink, the best thing to me would be someone that doesn't get drunk, but as long as it's not a big thing I really don't have issues with it.

I've never been even remotely drunk or anything and am not a drinker, so it kind of goes without saying what I'd prefer. I'm no stick in the mud or buzz kill or anything though (why do people assume a non drinker is no fun anyway).
 WaterDoggin
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:00:05 PM
Chill out Fly! Who cares? James, you hit it pretty good. Who judges themself to the point of blah, blah, blah? In getting back to the question, Yes. I do drink, but would not in public with someone that didn't. Not at home either, if she were living with me. I would be a DD any time I'm asked and have just as nice of a time. Liquor creates escape. I you have a problem returning, then things become a situation.
 Pink Rose Lady
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:10:43 PM
Yes, I would. I drink once in a while, but it's usually on a special occasion. I've known some men who take a drink every day. There are those who can handle it well and there are those who don't, unfortunately. I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't around, there are plenty of other things that are far more important to me.

Pink
 I purr
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:27:39 PM
Why not. I don't drink and yet do not care if the man does. Designated driver always available. If you turned into a mad man I would object.

The older we get the more I hope we learn to not try and change people. A drink or two does not hurt. In excess is quite another issue.
 vivaciousvixen2
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/6/2008 7:44:10 PM
i don't drink, smoke or do drugs
 dynamel
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/6/2008 8:32:39 PM
personally I prefer a guy who doesn't drink. I've been through the bar scene, and done my share of drinking in my day, and don't drink much now, if ever.

I'd rather have someone who can get up at the crack of dawn & enjoy the day with me vs. someone who's propped on the couch hung over! :)
 AdventerousMike
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 11:17:57 PM
My opinion ... I would prefer that someone was a pure social drinker or not drink at all. I don't drink at all myself, I just don't care for it.

I've had friends who drank, on occasion in excess too, but it never bothered me.

For myself, as far as dating someone, I'm not sure if I would date a regular drinker, meaning someone who got home in the evening and had to have a beer every night. I could deal with that person having 1 maybe 2 glasses of wine on a Friday as a way to relax ... But I would not like being around someone who did more than that.
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/6/2008 11:49:30 PM
It depends on his attitude toward me when I want a drink.

If he has no problem, neither do I with his teetotalling. I wouldn't tolerate a judgemental priss who tried to dictate how I live.

However, if I were dealing with a recovering alcoholic, I'd be very careful about subjecting him to a possible trigger. He'd have to be pretty solid in his sobriety and honestly not mind or I just wouldn't imbibe around him.
 kathyrae
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2008 11:58:10 PM
I don't drink!!!!! So there are some women out there that don't. Where are the decent men out there that don't drink?
 scorpiomusician25
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/7/2008 12:23:50 AM
It doesn't matter to me. I don't drink that much anyways, so I'd feel fine with dating someone who didn't, either.
 Helen1967
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/17/2008 7:45:42 AM
Gosh, there are a lot of topics on this!

I don't see what the big deal is either way, myself. I'm a light drinker, and have dated people who both did and did not drink. Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as I can tell. It's all about who's in there.
 FloridaGal00
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/17/2008 7:57:46 AM
I would certainly date someone who didnt drink....someone who drinks like a fish all the time is a turn off for me
 *Sassy Redhead*
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/19/2008 12:41:39 PM
I would date a guy that didn't drink...as a matter of fact would prefer that in a long term partner. I drink socially but don't need too so if I couldn't drink around my partner then I wouldn't out of respect for them. If they didn't mind if I drank on occassion....well I am guarenteed a designated driver now wouldn't I be. Drinking is not the be all end all in life....
 Kimasaurus
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2008 2:58:52 PM
I don't drink myself, but I'll date social drinkers...why not?....as long as socially means to the other person what it means to me....so he stops at a few and doesn't get wasted while out with me....
 firegurl61-17
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/19/2008 9:47:02 PM
sure why not...its not the drink that makes a person....it just makes an ass of the person if they drink too much.Personally I don't drink..and I want to be awake and alert when I see the man of my dreams!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >