Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Person puts first name at end of email?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Honey*Bear
Msg: 26
Person puts first name at end of email?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Personally, i don't ante up the name game. However; if I've been talking to him for a while and he offers his name, out of the benefit of respect i will respond with my first name (only) . Ive been contacted for the first time with home , cell, & work #'s all in one email. Major turn off, i.e. 2 needy!! I have kids, don't need more dependents. Its important to remember those forums about stalkers, on the net...anyone can find you ANYWHERE. Sometimes a surname will serve you well :-)
 Lady Waresa
Msg: 27
Person puts first name at end of email?
Posted: 7/3/2008 5:22:43 AM
OP- I don't think it's about showing interest or trust. It's just the polite things to do, IMO. I don't get all this worrying about privacy in giving out a first name. It's a first name for Pete's sake - smacks more of an exaggerated sense of self worth...get over yourselves already
 eazk
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/3/2008 5:30:07 AM
Intro emails I typically receive (about 90% of the time) have a first name signature line.

I reply to every email I receive. If I'm interested in the person, I'll reply in kind to the inroads they've taken and seek a few new ones of my own (about 5-10% of the emails) and I will sign with a fist name. If I'm not, it's typically a "Thanks, but you're not in my dating range" reply and I don't add a first name nor invite further dialogue although usually I'll get a "Thanks for writing back" email.

If I'm initiating a conversation, I'll always include a first name sig line.

packagedealx3
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2008 5:39:42 AM
I'm usually the opposite, I send one or two with my name signed and then dispense with the formality. A good reader can figure out my name by looking at my profile. With some folks I expect it is the caution that the Internet promotes, i.e. refrain from providing too much information. I wouldn't perceive it as an uber green light, just an indication that they now have a small level of trust.
 Catinka2008
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/3/2008 6:18:18 AM
I usually do this - why not?
 L.D.
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/3/2008 6:33:21 AM
I usually put my first name (not the initials on the profile) at the end of the first email, then if I don't hear from them on the next one I'll put a credit card number, so then they'll want to know more about me. (Actually that would be kind of funny to do that...)
 Miss Angele
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/3/2008 6:36:47 AM
I agree with msflis there is a bigger risk to a woman to casually give out our names to complete strangers.
On the internet we have no way to verify who they are. Imagine giving your name in your first reply and the next letter contains for you a lovely picture of his gentiles. Now imagine this person who knows what you look like and your first name encountering you in public, perhaps out on a 1st date with another POFer, how about in the mall with your kids, or with your boss. How many women here have encountered these creeps on POF, we all have and we know it. Giving your name should be a sign of trust. Those who go to events know the sign in book specifies POF name.
 plebayo
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/3/2008 6:39:29 AM
I usually sign my e-mails if I'm serious about getting to know the person...

If some dork randomly e-mails me and I respond then I won't use my name 'cause they don't need to know it. But if someone genuinely e-mails me I will usually sign it.
 Georgia_blue_eyes
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/3/2008 9:12:27 AM
L.D. that was hilarious. Yep, the credit card number should definitely get them !
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/3/2008 10:46:41 AM
Just letting you know the name of the person who writes to you in a friendly way. That's all my friend!
 girlwillbegirl
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/3/2008 12:19:51 PM
I always put my first name at the end of an email, it's kind of down to earth and hospitable. It's not like I'm giving out my social security number.

Deb
 MeereKat
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/3/2008 1:56:41 PM
I learned to end my letters with my name....
True....after a couple[or just One].. .. they Know who's sending it...
Manners should Never be Criticized..!!
What kills Me, is .. : People that sign ALL their Forum-posts...!!!
 FluffyBrain
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/3/2008 4:21:21 PM
It's probably a somewhat more effective way of generating more positive responses.
 HereAgainFromJersey
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/3/2008 7:08:34 PM
I always put my first and last name, and social security #, and mother's maiden name to every email. I don't know call me crazy, but I just have a trust in people, thanks for reading :)
 supernovastunnah
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/3/2008 8:50:21 PM
i tend to if the persons name is somewhere in their profile or i want to know it...kinda sparatic though....seems nice to include it though and a good way to close out
 stnkrbelle
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/3/2008 10:04:09 PM
Every email I send is signed with a simple j*
and thats cause Im too damn lazy to write out my whole name and Im often called j*

j*
 afishcalledjack
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2008 10:05:09 PM
OP, it can be a sign of attraction, yes, definitely.

People can reveal themselves slowly or quickly.

Sometimes the circumstances call for a slow reveal.
Slow down, have some fun, let your name be earned.

afishcalledjack
 Blue Eyed Vegas Guy
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/4/2008 12:18:40 AM
I would say that I almost always sign my first name at the end of first contact emails. They are seeing your pics and can see your name and it makes for a nice way to introduce yourself and makes you seem more like a genuine person hopefully.

If someone contacts me, even if I send a rejection, I will also sign my first name too.
 Willsfriend
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/4/2008 3:29:59 AM
actually it just means maybe that they're introducing themselves as a person rather than a username - but who knows - i could be wrong - there could be all KINDS of hidden sexual connotations in someone putting their first name at the end of a note.

come on, man!

cheers, sue (p.s. i'm not coming on to you ha ha ha ha!)
 Liana K
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/4/2008 10:04:02 AM
I respond to a first email with my name; I feel it is common courtesy to do so, but it shouldn't be confused with an implied signal of attraction or perceived intimacy. It's just an extension and a friendliness of the person behind the profile, so to speak. I think it is refreshing to others and allows them to see that, yes, there is someone genuine at the other end.
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2008 4:00:33 PM
For me signing "Brat" is just how I do things here on-line. My on-line friends just know me as that. Now friends and family off-line know me by my given name. I think once I become comfortable with someone I am e-mailing with then yes, I would probably say Oh, by the way my name is... but then still sign my e-mails as "Brat" just because it is habit and because it's my nickname.
And yes, I have truly earned that nickname over the years...

Brat
 hemingway234
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2018 10:16:37 AM
I want to bump this thread.

Does anybody have to ask for a person's name in a message on a dating site?

Does anybody wait for a person to ask for your name before giving it out?
 CBGB77
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2018 7:03:46 AM

Posted By: hemingway234 on 9/8/2018 1237 PM
Subject: Person puts first name at end of email?

Does anybody have to ask for a person's name in a message on a dating site?

Does anybody wait for a person to ask for your name before giving it out?

When I was dating I would always give my name in the first message I sent.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2018 7:09:40 AM
well my name and location are right there in my screen name. every message I ever sent started with hello, my name is john……. most respond back with their name in first message. surely anyone hesitant to give their name to someone their messaging has bigger secrets to hide.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2018 7:43:50 AM
LOL Hello John, Where are you from?

In POF, from the 'Edit Profile' page, there is the option to provide :First Name

Whether or not a first name appears on the profile, is a choice given to the person behind the profile.
I choose not to do so, however as a matter of respect or a friendly gesture, most often I include my first name in a message.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Person puts first name at end of email?