Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 56
Moving to Calgary...any advice?Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Ladies, she has no car!! Suggest personal stuff for sure, some of the keepsakes, other than that, take the oppourtunity to purge your belongings. I have travelled cross country in several moves, bare essentials were perfect.

Cab fare on the night of the wrecker will have to have a safer place than the bra or the thongs!! Drinks always seem to be more important when you are having fun!!

Remember to keep your cell phone handy tho, the "vibe" setting will do wonders if you end up not liking the male attendees attitudes (but papbear and I will do our best to impress)!!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 58
Moving to Calgary...any advice?
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:53:38 PM

.....ESPECIALLY my massage table......

Pappabear, did you read that, she has a massage table.......are we getting in lne yet??
 papabear316
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:07:43 PM
???Whaddyamean GET in line? I was at the front as soon as she pressed "POST"

lonelydavid77
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:17:48 AM

.....I think multiple parties would be super! But that's just me ...

You animal you!!! You'll fit right in out here!!
 male.1957
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:34:09 PM
Try to stay away from the N. E. area if possible. transportation routes are always busy because the city decided t build houses instead of putting in the roads first. But with $6.00 a gallon gas the traffic has eased off abit.Other wise it is a beautiful city.
 foxtrox
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2008 9:19:03 PM
Salsa dancing is becoming popular in Calgaary If you already know how to salsa dance make sure to go to some places where you can dance. If you want to learn there are lots of dancing school that you can go.

A place called La Pachanga in downtown is very polpular for playing salsa music. Every thursday, friday and sat are pack of people to display their salsa dancing skill.If you go there, lots of man will ask you for a dance, if you can't dance its ok, they will teach you.

In the summer there are lots of salsa festival going on the city, you already miss 3 of them. But there is one coming on Aug 22 - 24. called expo latino.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2008 1:52:39 AM
Well, it's kind of late to offer any advice on good parts of town to live in, since you've got yourself a place... but I'll throw in my two bits as well.

I'm also a transplanted Vancouverite but have been here since 2000. This city has changed A LOT since I got here eight years ago. I used to think it was friendly and had that small town mentality ( which I loved ) but that disappeared in the last three years or so.

After commuting from Mallairdville to Grouse Mountain 90 minutes or so each way, and seeing all kinds of crazy driving habits on the West Coast I thought I was prepared for anything. What I've noticed here is that people tailgate like crazy. Forget about leaving yourself the "two-car" space between yourself and the next guy, because if you do, five cars will cut you off and go for that space. Expect to have vehicular hemmoroids ( sp?) pretty much all the time. The other posters are all correct in that avoiding Deerfoot during rush hour is a good plan if at all possible.

Snow is good.. normally it's easy to shovel if you get to it within a few hours, otherwise if it's given an opportunity to melt at all you will have lots of ice to chip. The snow here is usually light and fluffy and not that nasty wet heavy snow that can be dumped out West. The poster that suggested snow tires is dead on... all-seasons just don't cut it here. You'll be thankful for extra traction after you've done a couple of spinaramas trying to take a corner.

Also invest in a good pair of winter boots with a -30 or better rating and a parka -- and some thermal long johns, especially if you plan to take part in some of the many, many recreational activities available here. Be prepared to see snow in any month except July. It is rare after the May long and up until the end of September, but does happen sometimes. Of course, the opposite is also true-- it can be +10, even +15 in January or February.

As for what is an "undesirable" part of town, there are crappy neighborhoods in every quadrant, and good ones in every quadrant. Forest Lawn and Dover in the SE have bad reps but are no scarier than parts of East Van are. I was WAY more scared when I lived at Fraser/ E Broadway in Vancouver than when I lived in Forest Lawn and in Dover. Bowness out in the NW isn't great but again there are worse hoods in Vancouver. The NE quadrant has a lot of immigrants and IMHO has most of the Asian and East Indian populations living there, but I don't think that makes it worse than other parts of town. About the only negative thing I can say about the SW quadrant is that getting in and out of some of those communities is a nightmare because of the crappy infrastructure.

I live in the Beltline area of "downtown" Calgary and am walking distance from the Red Mile ( which is where the Ship and Anchor is ), the Calgary Tower, the Stampede Grounds/Saddledome, and the Mission district. I can also walk to the Beltline Aquatic and Fitness Centre and the Memorial park library, and there are three tennis courts across the street-- all pluses. It's like any other inner city community and there are going to be undesirable elements such as traffic, construction, drugs and hookers, but all in all I think it's decent, as far as inner city goes. It's NOWHERE close to being as scary as Main/Hastings or even Broadway/Fraser or Broadway/Knight St.

The transit system sucks here, so be prepared to get squashed like a sardine or wait a long time for a bus if you plan to take transit. Probably a good plan to avoid the c-train platforms, especially downtown, at night. You can ride your bike almost year round, so take advantage of the bike paths if you can, to get around.

I personally have found Calgary to be an EXTREMELY hard place to meet people and make new friends, and have found it to be quite "cliquey". The "old boys club" is still closed to women in the business world. It's about WHO you know here that will make you or break you. LOL Apparently I don't know the right people!!

AUTHENTIC Chinese food is nearly impossible to find as is AUTHENTIC Greek food ( Hello!!!!-- Greek Salad does NOT have lettuce in it!). Good seafood is a rarity here but can be found... there are some great fish markets in the South near Willow Park.

You will love the wealth of recreational opportunities and activities you can do here, year-round, and the proximity to the mountains. My Man and I camp year-round and ride our motorcycles year-round ( although on a limited basis in winter ). The best trout fishing in North America is in the Bow River. K-country is amazing for backwoods camping... hell, K-country is amazing, period. Drumheller and Dinosaur Prov. Park-- both about two hours away-- will blow your mind. And of course there's snow sports at Nakiska, Sunshine Village, Mt. Norquay, and Lake Louise just to name a few. Nakiska is less than an hour from Calgary and has challenging runs. I personally don't care for COP ( it's like Grouse Mountain, short runs and a solid sheet of ice ) but like Grouse it offers Night skiing/riding if you have to have a fix.

That's my two bits worth on some aspects of life in Calgary.. I was in Vancouver for eighteen years and have been here for eight-- and I prefer Calgary by far!

Good luck with your move and welcome to Calgary!
 Taurid1
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:59:59 AM

Alluria: Now...the only question left unanswered is the actual DATE

Well, PoF is the right place to come to find that date.

(I just love stuff out of context.)

Looking: Make sure you get a car that is built for winter driving

The battery is a big issue. My metro has no plug in, but the battery can crank and crank and crank. Let it rest a bit, then crank another twenty seconds. On the third try, you've warmed up the cylinder enough to actually fire. My Metro never let me down in the cold. If the car you buy has a battery older than five years, replace the battery with a new heavy duty one.
 proseandcons
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2008 7:35:43 PM
Versa? Nice. I'd think about getting some good tires - the city doesn't really plow the streets on the occasions it does snow. I've been fine with all seasons my whole life, but I got some nice Nokian All-Weathers (winter rated tires you don't have to swap when the snow melts) and they're great for snowy city driving, IMO.
 Northern Lights
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/7/2008 4:38:41 PM
I think it's just a sign of the times, 'big city syndrome'.

I've lived here most of my life and I remember times where I've left my house unlocked, windows wide open, both in the house and vehicle, and never had any problems.

You just can't do that nowadays, just over the weekend, I left my vehicle unlocked for the first time in forever, and it got ransacked and a few things stolen. What are the odds?? My own fault, just absentmindedness on my part, but it just goes to show that all it takes is once.

I think Calgary grew too big, too fast. Yes, we had issues before, but nothing like what we're facing now. We're on our what, 21st murder of the year?? Thats unheard of here!

All one can really do is be vigilant and do everything they can to keep themselves and their property safe, even then though sometimes, if someone wants something bad enough, it's not always enough.
 proseandcons
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2008 6:37:58 PM
Sell it all! Fresh start! : )
 foxtrox
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2008 11:10:10 PM
Talking about aggresive driver, Toronto drivers are 10 times more aggressive than Calgary. Last May my company sent me to Toronto thru air and have a rental car at the airport. Oh man, express way is the only way to get to my hotel. Express way 401 is used by dam aggressive drivers you could ever seen. All car speeding real fast. Cars on my left and right and back on a 5 lane highway. I have to go with the flow of the speed or they run you over.
Calgary are more safter drivers. except for those too slow drivers.
 Taurid1
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:11:28 PM
I have driven in both Calgary and Toronto. Toronto's expressways are a complex dance at high speed and you are expected to know your steps. If you flub a movement, then confusion spreads out and people are upset.

But Calgary is just a crowd moving. Nobody expects much of you, and an agressive driver expects the meek to get out of his way.

I found the traffic flow in Toronto to be much safer than Calgary's, after a few days to learn the music for myself. But I wouldn't want to drive it every day. Even when everyone knows their parts, daily rush hours wear you down.
 Northern Lights
Msg: 76
Posted: 8/8/2008 8:27:15 PM
Going to the Calgary Zoo, take in point;
1. SERIOUS sun screen
2. Hoards of people who will not let you even pass by them
3. MANY minutes of walking through nothing but brush (hence the sunscreen).
4. Every tourist from all parts hogging the little shade given in that park (hence the sunscreen).
5. Dealing with Park Staff that could give a flying yoohoo about what you want to see.
6.On a hot day...... what a waste of money.

Oh give me a break.

We go to the zoo at least twice a year, and every time we've gone, it's been a nice time. We're planning on going in the next week or so again.

Yes, it can be crowded at times, but shit, it's the only decent zoo in this province, world renowned actually. The park staff are awesome, always have been in my experience, everything from finding my lost son (years ago), to directing us to a certain attraction we want to see. I love the zoo here, my son loves it and when we go, we make a day of it, we always have a lot of fun.

But hey, if you want to turn this into a pissing match... lets take Edmonton. I went to West Ed. Mall a couple of years ago, I took my son there for his birthday, and thank the f*cking lord I drive a 4wd, because your roads are atrocious. If I had a small car, I'd have been engulfed by one of the many craters in your roads..... WEM is a disgrace all in itself, dirty, disgusting, not a place I'd like to visit again anytime soon. It was a complete dive. I found Edmonton to be extremely 'industrial' and dirty in the parts I drove, main roads, because I was lost. I circled Edmonton at least twice, and all I could think was "yuck".

But... I was a "tourist", with no idea where I was going, much as you were when you came to Calgary I assume??? I was frustrated because I was lost, and believe me, there are lots of a$$hole drivers in Edmonton as well. I'm sure there are parts of Edmonton which are awesome, but as a 'lost tourist', I didn't get to see those, as I was more concerned about finding my way then sightseeing.

Lets leave the city bashing to another thread ok?? Anyone who does not live in this city cannot give an accurate description of what this city is like, just as I can't describe Edmonton accurately because I don't live there. I'm sure the both of us were frustrated as all hell when we were visiting each others cities (I know I sure the hell was when I was in Edmonton), so how about we save our comments and let people who do know these cities and who do live here to comment ok?
 Northern Lights
Msg: 77
Posted: 8/8/2008 9:29:08 PM
I found the drivers in Edmonton to be NO different then the drivers in Calgary in all honestly.

yeah, we may have a lot of construction going on, but in all honesty, I'd rather that then driving on Edmonton's pot hole/crater filled roads!!

Again, it can always be a bit stressful when one is driving in a city they don't know, every little thing can piss someone off, from construction signs to potholes. You get pissed driving in Calgary, I get pissed driving in Edmonton. Neither one of us know the other city very well, so I think thats a big frustration factor, no?

I'm not about to get into an Edmonton vs. Calgary pissing match, all I'm saying is it's what one is used to. I'm used to the road conditions here, and for the most part, they don't really faze me that much, just as I'm sure you're used to the road conditions in Edmonton and you don't blink an eye... It's all about what one is used to IMO. I know the city pretty much like the back of my hand, but I get totally lost when I enter the Edmonton city limits.

*It is perfectly acceptable to express your opinion - even a negative one - about another city and expect to be able to do it without being personally attacked on these forums. Someone knowingly doing it again will find their posting privileges severely curtailed.

ADDRESS the topics not each other.

Flaming posts deleted, some posts edited and at least one person who couldn't control them self sent to the "pokey" to cool down.

Let's not start a city vs. city "pissing match" please(that would be off-topic anyway). Ratchet down the town, and continue the conversation...don't make me come back, or like Dad used to say, "Next time I come in here, I'm crackin' skulls."* - TheMadFiddler - PoF Forum Moderator
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/9/2008 12:49:52 PM

...I"m very open to suggestions...

If you are taking the Coco hollic!!, take a right at Merrit and head over to the "fruit belt" (Kelowna), nice beaches, if it is warm enough, might even espy a half naked man worthy of picking up to help you unload in Calgary !! Water is warmer that time of year, and the fruit you buy will be fresh, and bigger than what you can get at most markets here in Calgary.

Then take the highway north back to # 1 and at Sycamouse, veer right and head on in to Revelstoke. Only 5-6 hours at normal highway speed to Calgary froom there.

As indicated above, the Mountains are not a long drive from Calgary, and they are a bit higher in elevations than in the Vancouver area.

Make sure you mail pappabear upon your arrival so he can set up a Red neck welcome at the Roads!!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:20:01 PM
Actually, it's an uphill drive to Calgary from Edmonton, but yes, if not for Red Deer at the half-way spot, one would easily fall asleep!!

Edmonton Elevation: 668 M
Calgary Elevation: 1048 M

and each of those 14 820 inches sometimes makes a big difference!!
 Northern Lights
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/11/2008 10:07:46 AM
Goodwill!

Or, go dump it all on Hastings... I'm sure the folk there could make fine use of your stuff!

The days will fly by for you now, before you know it, you'll be on your way!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/17/2008 4:22:59 PM

.... can anyone recommend a good place to buy some home furniture ?
I am NOT talking about Ikea or The Brick - I actually want my stuff to LAST and be of good quality ...

Some of that type of stores just recently closed down, due to lack of business!!

United Furniture Wharehouse is a subsidiary of the Brick, so stay clear from there.

Lots of places to look, depending on the quality you are after, if you have the time, there are several stores along 9th Ave. S.E that have some unique on off's, (pricy antiques), but fun to look through there.

Come for brunch on tSept 7th at Kane's, and then you can stroll the area.

Deerfoot Meadows has a few high end stores, but quality is not that great for the most part. Near there is Leon's and a few other furniture stores north of the Meadows and south of Leon's.

Always willing to window shop, if you need a trailer, can get one quick, just need some muscle to go with it!!
 Stationary_Movement
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/20/2008 12:12:20 AM
Just for the record. I met her before any of you did Hope you have a great couple of weeks left before you move. Had a good time tonight.
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:50:18 AM
There is this place:
Kaldi House Fitness & Lifestyle Studios
#18, 11625 Elbow Dr SW
"Small, friendly fitness facility nestled in the neighbourhood of Canyon Meadows. We offer a full compliment of yoga, Dance for Fitness; personal training and much, much more. We believe fitness needs to be fun to be effective."

Also you would not be too far from the Talisman Center, where you can align a membership to your needs

Some of the City Pools have gyms, and classes, so you could check out calgary.ca/City Living/Recreation and Liesure to see if they may have what you are looking for. The Southland Liesure Center is the largest that would be close to your residence.

But once here, a few familiarization drives around town, you may find a small venue that is close to your residence (like Probodies Gym at 2123-33rd Avenue S.W.). There are probably several in the Loop area.

The best feature of your is new abode area is that you will be close to one of the best produce markets in town!! Over in the old barracks.
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:01:35 PM
Careful there, I could have interior , um, ulterior motives!!

Just a part of being the Friendly Neighbourhood Knowit all!!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/29/2008 1:41:11 PM
Drive safe and take it easy.
 easyguy71
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:30:44 PM
It's a nighmare going through the city, and tourists end up missing the views because of it.
Someone wrote that and someone else agreed to it.

Shouldn't they be paying attention to the road instead of gasping in awe at the views? Especially if they are tourists who are unfamiliar with the area, shouldn't they be paying attention? Especially in a city setting where drivers are a tad more agressive in their attempt to live life on a schedule or to be first in the car lines?
 3808Test
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2008 6:44:31 PM
Breakfast? I *love* breakfast. It's one of my favourite meals.

Alluria,

Welcome to Calgary and Marda Loop. I live in the Loop, and I love it.

You mentioned that you were looking for a gym. ProBodies is a decent gym, and the price is right. If you want to go a little farther afield, there's Gold's Gym and Mount Royal college close by.

Speaking of breakfast... There's a decent place in the area. The name is pronounced Fantasic Pancake House, but the spelling is some alphabet soup jumple. I'm not even going to try to spell it. It's just off Crowchild at 54th.

Garrison Pub has a pretty good brunch, and Original Joe's does too. There are a couple other restaurants in the neighbourhood that I've been dying to try.

Geez, I'm hungry now...

S.

PS: The name of the pancake place is Pfanntastic Pannenkoek House. I can be forgiven for not being able to spell it.

PPS: Now I have a craving...
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  >