Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 7
COMMUNICATON, CELL PHONES, ETCPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Why would it be a problem for someone to use a service that requires them to only pay for the minutes they use? I could afford (and so can most people) to have a cell phone with some plan, but I don't choose to. I'm not a fan of cellphones--the use of them has become a rude habit and sometimes a hazard. I use mine only for emergencies or for my child to contact me when I'm not at home or at work, so I see no reason for his choice to be suspicious.

Nutt
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 9
COMMUNICATON, CELL PHONES, ETC
Posted: 7/5/2008 10:32:25 PM
That's what I'm saying lady. Cell phone usage is something everyone feels differently about.

Nutt
 Adam 4 Coffee
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/6/2008 4:31:42 AM
Maybe he does not use his phone that much or needs an expensive plan. Who cares about how much his cell phone costs or if he buys pre-paid or pay as you go. Not everyone needs a smart phone, blackberry, or iphone. I don;t even own a cell phone for crying out loud beucase I don;t like them and enjoy being temporarily unavailable otherwise people would bother me. All you care abouit is the status symbol represented by what cell phone he has and the plan. Why get involved with a single parent anyway? Ge someone withoutt he drama. And why even invade his privacy by checking what kind of phone and phone service he has?

my problem ius women who only text or don't return calls. or play cell phone game and pick up only to click the phone close witht he slapping sound. i dump women like this on a regular basis. I have no need for a cell phone. I use a land line when I want to make a call. if I want to text I have aim and yahoo and its free. Some people are crazy and you are one of them honey!
 ncdamsel
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/6/2008 8:35:46 AM
I am wondering what a bad experience with another lady has to do with him sending you a picture, ,,,,.. that is a crock of crap... and a very strange excuse, if it were me i would move on ... keep fishing, to many red flags, on this one
 veloise
Msg: 16
view profile
History
COMMUNICATION, CELL PHONES, ETC
Posted: 7/6/2008 8:45:21 AM
A few ideas on this (from someone with a connection to the wireless industry):

Switching phones is common. There are sooo many bells and whistles these days, and if you upgrade to something that you end up hating a week later (the button layout is not to your liking? wrong color?), the provider will exchange it. Not a red flag, IMHO.

A pre-pay or pay-as-you-go makes much sense for e-dating. I happen to have one issued by my company, along with one that's mine. It's much easier to keep personal and business calls separate. A special dating phone? Why not? Again, I don't see this as a red flag.

Carriers are eager to help customers make calls (i.e. spend money) so it's not strange that the tech would check OP's gentleman caller's line, just to make sure it was functional. As to how many calls he made to which numbers, they wouldn't release that info. (FWIW, my business phone went dead when someone -- who closely resembles Dilbert's pointy-haired boss -- failed to pay the bill.)

The first guy to ever contact me on here vanished for a while. Upon his return, he described a stalker who tracked him down and showed up, uninvited, at his workplace. Stuff happens, and someone swapping out their technology is not a big deal.

Now, the lack of a photo...that one is. (Tell him to get a camera phone next time.)

HTH
 opnmydm
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/6/2008 9:39:36 AM
trust your gut, get out while you still have not had a real bad experiance with this player. think, why whould you have to buy a phone that you only pay for each minute used? hmmm, non trackable, hmm, getting deeper here....light come on yet? run from this
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:57:40 PM
Hi lady,

I agree with some other posters who've said it's good to trust your instincts, although the phone would not be an issue for me for the reason stated in my first post.

One thing I do wonder though, why you cancelled at the last minute. It, hopefully, is a meeting in a public, populated place or meet where you knew someone.

After all, to me, you were in contact with this guy for 6 weeks, but when you finally get a to have a look at him and take your measure of him in person, you run? I think there's another thread discussing why people refuse to meet or say they will meet and then back out at the last minute.

Seems to me after all that effort, you might have at least met the guy and formed an opinion of the real guy.

Nutt
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:03:50 PM
Maybe he has a fancy phone for work and people close to him.
Maybe he has a pay as you go for the women he meets on the internet.
Maybe he was talking to someone else when you started talking to him and they went psycho so he had to get a different phone.
Now that you've gone psycho I guess he's on to phone #3.
 Coach Andrew
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:33:31 PM
My "Spidey sense" tells me he is married.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >