Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 u_and_me_
Msg: 164
The Science of Global WarmingPage 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
lol.thats a great view on things!i never thought of that.thats probably y every1 is fightin over ownership of the north pole.
 kevinnem2
Msg: 167
Climate disruption, re. The Science of Global Warming
Posted: 8/29/2009 11:35:48 AM

To me, here's my way of looking at it:

Cause and effect:

there's two results for the people who believe Global warming exists :

1) If they are correct, people take steps to prevent it (mostly control man's consumption and excess). Planet is saved.
2) if they turn out to be wrong, you will still have cleaner air, better water and a more robust environment because efforts have been made to curb excesses.

Let's look at people who don't believe, do nothing and refuse to acknowledge man's responsibility to nature:

1) if they are correct that global warming does not exist, we will still have dirty air, less water, and a poorer environment since we're doing nothing but keep the status quo.
2) if they turn out to be wrong, humanity is screwed big time. (there is no do-over) There will be wars for water resources, more sickness, more death. If the world tips into a terrible imbalance, you will lose massive numbers of people to starvation.

the worest piece of logic I have ever ween in my life!

Useing this argument I would like to form an army to defend agenst the evil unicorn spaghetti monster invasion that is coming...... now you may think this is not a real issue however...

there's two results for the people who believe spaghetti monster invasion exists :

1) If they are correct, people take steps to prevent it Planet is saved.
2) if they turn out to be wrong, you will still have a great army to protect from other things, and people that are heatlyier,

......... see quote....
 stargazer1000
Msg: 168
The Science of Global Warming
Posted: 10/20/2009 5:14:56 PM
Um, Paul....wha?! Was that diatribe for or against?

Oh jeez. So let's just keep on burning those fossil fuels. Woo hoo! Pump that carbon into our atmosphere with no fear of consequence. Oil is forever! In fact, it reproduces itself magically on its own, just like Titan, even though Titan has nothing to do with Earth.

We don't need to find new, better and longer lasting forms of energy. That's just stupid. If you believe that, well you're just a left-wing, toadie of the big business model that is pulling one over our eyes with the aim of taking more money from us. I don't have to take any responsibility for my energy useage. I'm going to turn on all the lights in my apartment right now! And not those energy-efficient fluorescents, no way. Incandescents for me, baby!

Yup. Certainly makes sense to me. Of course, only if I suspend my common sense.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 169
Posted: 10/20/2009 7:19:25 PM

There is NO common sense to those who push the global warming nonsense on us, as in the past 10 years, temperatures have gone.........DOWN.

Ooooppppss!!!!

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/Fig1.gif

What about the dire predcitions of how many more Katrina like storms would happen as a result of the "warming trends" Just the OPPOSITE has happened.

Oh, you mean not every prediction has come to fruition right away? Hmm. Well, let's toss out the whole thing.

As far as your energy efficient bulbs, if you break one, you are advised to call the haz-mat team, because they contain MERCURY................

Broke one. I'm still alive. Still, it's fun to panic, isn't it?

The only effect Kyoto will have is to force the US to the level of 3rd world developing nations.

Um...yeah. Okay. If you say so.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 170
Posted: 10/20/2009 9:10:28 PM

Lets see, even the site you referred to shows that the temperatures have gone DOWN. Have you even looked at it?

Did you? Or were you looking at it while standing on your head. Because it showed an overall trend of temperatures going UP.

I guess that is one more thing that you either haven't read or are ignorant about.

I always find it interesting that, just because someone disagrees with someone elses' position, they go to the ad hominem attack. "You don't agree with this? You must be ignorant." Ooooorrrrr....I don't agree with you. You know, that's not actually illegal. People are allowed to disagree with other people and not be considered less intelligent for it.
 60to70
Msg: 171
Posted: 10/20/2009 10:08:47 PM
O.K. So Science proved the trajectories of the planets. Our Sun. etc. Then Science propelled the Industrial Revolution. Then Science changed course and said that what it propelled is contributing to Global Warming. I do not think that Science is what will save us. I think what could possibly save all would be taking one day at a time and paying attention to the facts. Also, Science and scientists are not "God", whatsoever, and will never be able to predict with any kind of acute accuracy the breadth and width of this Universe we live in. At any rate do not throw your trash on the road and be willing to suspend all judgement. Do not be a witless consumer. Do not trust the arrogant, the power mongers and those who salivate over money. Keep your eyes and ears open.
 gamin
Msg: 172
Posted: 11/12/2009 8:57:31 PM
There is no global warming.

And even if there was we aren't causing it.

And maybe it's a good thing anyway. It would be nice if Ottawa didn't get so cold every winter.

The earth goes through these cycles all the time so why worry?

It's just a scam for a bunch of industry pressure groups to make more money and gain political power.

Scientists enjoy scaring people.

The earth is flat.

All is well.

Keep running your SUV.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 5:22:36 PM
Here is a new article about atmospheric carbon levels versus global warming. Looks like a legitimate study:

http://www.dailytech.com/Carbon+Levels+are+Soaring+But+Temperature+Isnt+Necessarily+Keeping+Pace/article16861.htm
 ForeverLong
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2009 8:05:36 PM
It's more about politics than anything else. Ice ages have occurred several times, and much warmer periods when there were hardly any people on the earth. It's pretty arrogant to think we can control the climate. All it takes is a big volcanic eruption, activity of the sun, or an asteroid impact to change the climate immediately. Whatever we can do is too little, it's like throwing stones into the ocean and expect it to have a measurable effect on the waves.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:01:14 AM
Another article about "the science of global warming":

http://www.dailytech.com/Climategate+Stunning+Deception+and+Misconduct+at+UK+Warming+Research+Center+Revealed/article16889.htm
 JustDukky
Msg: 176
Posted: 11/29/2009 10:10:26 PM
@ Thorb

I see the carbon footprint as a way of trying to pass the blame onto the individual and take it off the corporate machines.

BINGO!!
 A1_GOLD
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2010 7:09:17 PM
The IPCC is in trouble again on multiple fronts.

Their declaration that the glaciers in the Himalayas are going to melt away by 2035 was based on a non scientific news story.

Other reports indicate that Arctic summer sea ice has increased 409,000 sq miles, 26% since 2007.

Professor Mojib Latif is predicting mild global cooling over the next few decades.

Al Gore and the IPCC might have got the science wrong on Global Warming.
 Island home
Msg: 178
Posted: 1/23/2010 7:37:07 PM
I think it is all a big conspiracy
To set us up for when a real emergency emerges
We will confidently sit back and allow it to over take us
 eye4light
Msg: 179
Posted: 1/24/2010 10:16:51 AM
Here’s how I see it -

A man begins driving from Los Angeles to Toronto. Two hours later, the oil pressure light comes on. He continues driving.

Three hours later, the light is still on but he remembers that the oil level was checked sometime in the past couple of months so he probably doesn’t need to check it again. That would waste of time that could be spent driving.

An hour later, he hears a radio report about a mechanic who was caught fraudulently charging people for unneeded repair service. This convinces him that all mechanics are not to be believed.

Four hours later he hears a talk show host ranting about an automobile recall order for a faulty design. This convinces him that the oil light is probably only on because it’s faulty.

Two hours later, a radio preacher passionately quotes Exodus 14:25, “He made the wheels of their chariots come off so that they had difficulty driving”. This convinces the driver that if the oil pressure warning light is right, something could go wrong with the engine that might make driving difficult - but not stop him from reaching Toronto.

He hears many more things on his radio: the Mayan calendar ends soon and so does the Universe; generation upon generation of evangelists have seen the positive signs that they would see the end of the Earth as we know it and so it must be about to happen...eventually; sometimes cars run perfectly and sometimes they break down - it’s just a natural cycle, no big deal; there are spots on the sun that can disturb television and cell phone reception.

He is convinced that the oil light is not really important and besides, the world will come to an end someday so, ”why worry?”

A few hours later, there’s a loud knocking sound coming from the engine. White smoke starts billowing from the exhaust and the engine is losing power.

He drives on. No worries.

Island home
Msg: 180
Posted: 1/24/2010 4:17:54 PM
coolnomad
Its not the government
its the anti government
Thems the brainy ones
 A1_GOLD
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 6:00:04 PM

what reports and by who .... site a quote or two for this preposterous claim.
[did you bother to even check google's latest reports from major news papers?

I'm sorry, they have been lying, please read this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1242011/DAVID-ROSE-The-mini-ice-age-starts-here.html

The IPCC reports you have heard aren't based on real observations.
 Island home
Msg: 182
Posted: 1/25/2010 12:37:05 AM

Who is the anti government?[.quote]
With my tongue still firmly in my check
The conspiracy theorists!
 A1_GOLD
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2010 8:10:50 PM
You understand that the IPCC report states that the Himalayas glaciers will melt by 2035 was based on hearsay and had misrepresented the news article as scientific research when it was just word of mouth?

The scientists suggest that the changes in global cooling and warming is based on changes in ocean currents and these fluctuations cycle over decades?

Weather scientists have trouble predicting weather a week ahead of time much less decades at a time.

Lies are not being told as much as data interpretation is still in progress.
don't jump to any stupid conclusions too quickly .... the Innuit are rarely wrong about the Arctic.

I would love to see a scientific journals report by Innuit scientists. Are there any Innuit climatologists that you can cite? Or are you too working on Innuit hearsay?

Just because you believe that something as simple as burning fossil fuels may be changing the global environment doesn't make it so. It sounds easy but when the weatherman can't predict the local weather this coming weekend or the coming season, I find it hard to accept that it can be predicted for the next year or for the coming decade. Who can you trust with your plans for the next week and be as absolutly certain of their predictions as you seem to0 be of their prediction of the weather 20 years from now.

I am still of the generation that had the fear of global cooling drilled into us. Too much rainfall spoiling the harvests. Summers to cold for plants and frosts destroying citrus in the southern states. Winter snow storms, blizzards, that buried cites for weeks at a time, snow drifts higher than homes. Rising fresh water lakes due to rainfall and snow. Hurricanes that hit the east coast up to Manhattan in the fall. We were frightened that glaciation might start again and there was nothing we could do about it. No one ever mentioned global WARMING.

Oh yeah, please moderate your use of certain adjectives, they are insulting, please be civil.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 184
Posted: 7/9/2010 1:05:26 AM
This headline should liven things up a tad...

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/8/headlines#9

British Probe Clears "Climategate" Scientists

A British university probe has cleared a team of scientists linked to the so-called "Climategate" controversy last year. The University of East Anglia launched the investigation after over 1,000 emails were stolen from its Climatic Research Unit and publicly released. Deniers of global warming had claimed the stolen emails provided evidence of an effort to silence academics who have questioned or downplayed human-driven climate change. But in the latest of several probes to clear the scientists involved, panelists found no proof of the charges. University of East Anglia vice chancellor Edward Acton said he hopes the so-called controversy can be put to rest.

Edward Acton: "Today for the third and hopefully the final time, an exhaustive independent review has exposed as unfounded the whole thrust of allegations against our science. We hope the commentators will accurately reflect what this highly detailed independent report says and finally lay to rest the conspiracy theories, untruths and misunderstandings that have circulated."

The British probe comes one week after a Penn State panel exonerated one if its top scientists whose emails were among those released.

Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 185
Posted: 12/18/2013 10:45:24 AM
I live in Ontario. With all this freezing weather this fall, I do wonder what is going on with global warming. If the arctic is indeed warming up, then where is all this @%*#^*(& freezing cold weather coming from?? I do wish someone would turn up the heat.
 Coma_White
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2013 1:37:31 PM

I live in Ontario. With all this freezing weather this fall, I do wonder what is going on with global warming. If the arctic is indeed warming up, then where is all this @%*#^*(& freezing cold weather coming from?? I do wish someone would turn up the heat.

That's a common misconception. I also live in Ontario, but increasing the heat energy in atmosphere doesn't always equal "hot". Just like feeding more electricity into your computer won't make it faster. It'll just start making the system go haywire. A lot of people don't understand that you don't just look at the temperatures, you look at products of heat energy.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 187
Posted: 12/20/2013 3:41:08 PM
Peacethx- Increased CO2 is just one cause of climate change.
The dynamics of the phenomenon are much more complex.
I found an article that is long, but explains it well:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/cause-ice-age.html
Do not declare yourself knowledgeable of anything, especially science, without doing your research first.
There have been periods of the earth warming and cooling long before humans were even on the earth.
 DameWrite
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2013 8:53:20 PM
http://davidsuzuki.org/issues/climate-change/science/climate-change-basics/climate-change-deniers/
 forumiteinca
Msg: 189
Posted: 12/25/2013 10:43:12 AM
I'm having trouble with the concept of Global Warming right now. The temperature outside is hovering around -16 C; it went down to -23 C last night. My gas furnace has not shut off for the past two weeks. And people still talk about Global Warming and the Arctic warming up. Where is all this cold weather coming from?? The Antarctic?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >