Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bimmerknut
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Why do Babes dig ugly guys?Page 4 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
Kudo's to you Pepsi on this one. Someone who "gets it". A lot of it has to do with a persons age. The younger lady of course wants to be the center of a man's world who's maybe successful early in his life, has the "things" that are associated with that and not bad on the eye either. I think a lot of it has to do with the dating habits of a girls girlfriends too. There's a peer code there when even a little bit of competition lies. A good number of these guys ARE jerks and self-centered rodents. But for some reason how many of you ladies have unburdened yourself with one of these types only to replace him with another? Then comes a time as Pepsi mentioned where she realized her security in her relationships were dead in the water pretty much before they even get started and she started looking at the "other" aspects of the man she really wanted. Someone who genuinely would put himself for her. Not because he had to? But because he loved her enough to. Someone who's inner charm and patience and integrity were waaaay more valuable than the values off any jet-set, GQ, arrogant poser could compete with.

I myself was married to a BBW for 25 years. It wasn't her outside that ended the marriage. It was who was inside. I've not raised my standards but I have promised myself to be more careful who I choose not as a FWB, or FB or even girlfriend, but as a partner. Partners share everything totally. A lady will either be open to communication and total honesty or it's hasta la vista!. Yes looks ARE important. They are! But that doesn't mean that I find the Barbie types attractive. I can see the sexiness in average women, voluptuous women, slender types and even BBW but the key is to seeing how the woman carries herself. Does she walk with poise and confidence? Or does she kinda just move in one direction or another without much thought to her movement. Does she dress like she's attractive? Or does she dress to attract anything that might resemble a male hormone exists somewhere. All these things fit and have a purpose.

And to the person who began this thread, it may have been something to the effect that the man was willing to do anything to catch this lady and then let himself go. And the lady having commitment and a genuine love for this man couldn't bring herself to leave him just because of HIS looks. I'm no prize. I spent countless years with a woman who couldn't love herself so she couldn't therefore love me. The rest is an even more involved and lengthy story that I won't get into but I want a woman to love me for who I am, what I represent and the fact that if I allow myself to love her? That means she knows that I love her unconditionally and with respect and it's my desire to let her know each and every day how much I adore her in my life.

Thanks for letting me vent,

~Bimmer
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Why do Babes dig ugly guys?
Posted: 7/16/2008 3:35:53 PM
Who deemed this guy with the babe ugly? The OP.
That's his opinion. It's also quite apparent that he thinks of himself as good looking... Therefore, I don't trust his judgement! lol.
Oh wait, he also said he can get babes... and his theory is babes dig ugly guys!

What do you not get OP? Maybe the girl simply thought the guy she was with was attractive. Period. End of story.
 xeot
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 4:24:58 PM

Most of the women in here who have replied to this post have said that looks aren't that important to them and that the personality, honesty, humour of a man are far more important.If thats the case then why have I sent about 25 messages to ladies in here in the last 6 months or so and yet not had ONE reply from anyone who was just even curous about finding out more about me, let alone anything else?

There is one thing I've learned. There is what women say they want and what they actually go for. Many hope that they will find a guy that they will go for who will turn out to be what they say they want. But since many the traits are mutually exclusive, that is very unlikely.

Online dating has created a number of ways to experiment with different things and to be able to disconnect one's personality from one's body. The idea that personality goes first is probably quite rare given my experience. It would take some situation in person where the woman gets to know the man without there being any dating aspect what-so-ever. This would allow his personality to become known, to actually be in play.

Men value looks. Women don't, no matter what they say.

How about actions then? As I stated above online allows one to hide their appearance. I think the usual experience is to have women that are interested up until they see a guy's picture. If they didn't value looks the exchanges wouldn't go silent the moment they saw a picture.

Msg 186:
If you knew more about those men you listed you would noticed that they don't apply to the area of corporate promotions. Gates was his own employer and was from a family with money. He used rather ruthless business practices. Kissinger, where do I start with him and the conditions he's caused? But I digress... he came 'up' through a system where people are chosen because of their ideas and how they serve certain agendas. Greenspan... an attractive wife is easy when you create money from thin air. Greenspan is largely responsible for the present economic conditions because of the bubbles he made by creating money. In reality he was a sell out for money and power. Read his essay about gold backed money from 1968. He knew what he was doing harmed the middle class and did it anyway. My point is none of these guys rose up through a corporate system that was being spoken of, they overcame their looks with different traits to move up without being from within any sort of typical corporate structure. I don't know where Albright came from, but it is likely much the same.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 170
Posted: 7/16/2008 4:40:47 PM
Zeotide --

OK. Let's try these, Forbes 25 most powerful people in business.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fortune/0711/gallery.power_25.fortune/index.html

Is even one of these guys a dreamboat? Only a few even qualify as attractive (although they may have been more "dreamy" when younger). Most are plain, and a few are downright scarey looking. Only one is a woman, and she's middle aged and dumpy. Don't bother coming up with more rationalizations as to why, these ugly people are exceptions to the rule. So much for that theory.
 Lily0923
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 5:11:43 PM
This thread is turning into brain surgery... or building a rocket.

Men, if you b*tch and say "Why doesn't this woman or that woman or those women like me" it's cuz your attitude sucks. That shows in your body language, and the words you use, and the approach you take.

Ladies- If you b*tch and say "Why doesn't this guy like me, or those guys like me?" It's because your attitude sucks, and that shows in your body language and the words you use, and the way you react to attention.

Men- If you want a woman act like she is the most incredible thing on the face of the earth...but make sure you mean it, and follow through.

Ladies- If you want a man, act like you couldn't care less about him...

This isn't rocket science guys.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 173
Posted: 7/16/2008 5:41:27 PM
Um Dance, we said we were more forgiving in the looks department. That DOESN'T include bad hygiene or dressing like a bum!
 alwaysme2
Msg: 174
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:38:47 PM
Men- If you want a woman act like she is the most incredible thing on the face of the earth...but make sure you mean it, and follow through.

I didn't read through all of the posts but this one stuck out to me. HUH???????

Maybe I have missed a few posts up until this point. Maybe I am missing sarcasm some where along the line that was posted in this thread...please let me know if I am.....but this one I just don't get.

Sorry, I believe in treating others as I want to be treated.

Back to the original post. What I find attractive physically someone else may not. Who really cares? Why even worry about it? It's called personal preferences. We all have them whether they are looks, income, age, height, weight, profession etc. etc. So maybe the babe you saw doesn't base her decision on physical looks alone or considers other things more important to her when dating. Or even worse maybe even though YOU don't see it.... she finds the guy attractive. Imagine that!

I actually had a situation with a guy friend of mine in a bar a few years back that I thought of after reading this topic. My friend thinks he is the hottest thing on earth. He is a good looking guy and has a great personality but he was always use to attention and a flock of girls flirting with him. He couldn't get the attention of one girl in a bar and it drove him crazy all night and he just couldn't let it ok. Why is the cute girl with "HIM?"

He was all bent out of shape because he saw some hot chic (in his words) talking to what he called an "average to wussy" looking guy. He had been trying to get her attention all night and failed miserably. All the while he had all these other young pretty girls talking to him and he was only focused on the one girl. Then it hit me .....and I told him flat out. You are just jealous. You can't figure out why she is not talking to you or buying into your crap.

He never could admit he was jealous but he kept saying over and over ..." I just don't get it". Because I love him like a brother I told him to get over it.

She was probably with a great guy and was done with guys who think their good looks will get them every where in life. Thank God he has a wonderful and beautiful girlfriend now who knows how to put him in his place lol.

celts123
Msg: 175
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:43:45 PM

Um Dance, we said we were more forgiving in the looks department.

Not necessary. As stated before, many women ( especially on dating sites ) will not date men under a certain height. Men in generally are less picky about height.
 Lily0923
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 7:49:08 PM
alwaysme- what's not to get about it? You restated my statement in your post.... SHE IGNORED HIM AND HE COULDN'T TAKE HIS EYES OFF OF HER....

Again this isn't rocket science here.
 alwaysme2
Msg: 177
Posted: 7/16/2008 8:13:02 PM
That is true. She ignored him and HE wanted her....but SHE didn't want him.

What you said in your quote to me sounds like your advice on how to get a guys attention if you are interested. She wasn't intersted in my friend. She wasn't ignoring him because she wanted him to "not take his eyes off of her."She was interested in the man that she was with plain and simple.

Even so, she really wouldn't have had to ignore my friend in order to get his attention......she already had it from the moment she walked through the door.

She wasn't acting as if she could care less in order to get him......she really didn't care.
 Lily0923
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 9:46:31 PM
alwaysme- you just keep proving my point.... Love is war. Use what you have in your arsenal.... It's like a job interview, if you go in showing all your cards, you're not getting the job, if you go in like they NEED you, or you have other options they then WANT you. If you go in like "Well I can do that I guess, but I'm not very good" they say "NEXT" Men aren't complicated.... We tend to complicate it.

And OP have you even thought that she was looking at you, because you were looking at her??? I've done that when someone is looking at me, I look back to see if I know them.
 Dceeeee
Msg: 180
Posted: 7/16/2008 9:50:47 PM
She probably met him through a friend first...or he was a friend of her brother, and the more she got to know him and his humor, or his great personality, the more she liked him...

~OR......~

it was a first meet from POF and she was too polite to turn him down when he wanted to extend the evening.......he may never see her again.....

~DC~
 xeot
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2008 10:58:29 PM
re: flyonthewall! on 7/16/2008 647 PM

Do I have to go through the histories of the ones I know?

#1 started Apple computer in a garage he didn't work his way up through corporate promotions.

I could go on, I'm sure. But I don't think it would help get the point across. The argument wasn't that looks put you behind in business, the argument was they are part of getting promotions in the corporate environment and they are.

I worked at a major US corporation for 6 years. Promotions were not rewards for technical competence they were for those who played the political games. Those that spent their time playing the games got promoted. Those of us who thought the way was in saving and making the company millions of dollars through our technical skills did not.

Looks is a big part of that game. To say it isn't is to ignore the obvious. Could some one play them with a looks handicap? Sure. He'll be at a disadvantage though. Maybe he'll still win. Just because some people have doesn't negate the point of promotions favoring the good looking.

From there I went to another company where the CEO, well lets just say he had perfect hair all the time. But I actually would see him now and then because of the company's small size.

Looks are very important to promotion and politics. The social side of things. You can be ugly and succeed on your true abilities but its not likely going to happen through the corporate ladder. You're going to have to either be born with some advantage, get a sponsor, or start your own business and just be able to beat the other guy.

As the US moves more and more into a system where success in business is determined by the government's political process you'll see a lot less 'Steve Jobs' types.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 182
Posted: 7/16/2008 11:14:33 PM

If that premise were true, wouldn't PoF just be a couple of girls online going "Hello? Anybody here?" with little cyber tumbleweeds blowing across and electronic crickets chirping off in the distance?

****Snort**** Hilarious mental picture.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 183
Posted: 7/17/2008 4:24:26 AM
Zeotide --

Apparently you are only willing to see the world through your experience and not the vast evidence to the contrary.

Fact is that in business, even in the corporate world, few of the CEOs are very attractive. And getting back to "why do babes dig ugly guys", there are a great number of reasons -- including they don't think the guy is ugly.
 gypsywoman777
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2008 9:45:35 AM
I used to make the statement that the 'ugly' guy could lick his eyebrows. Altho it turned a few people off to say it - I found it funny - could be true, who knows. It is a matter of chemistry and possible interests of the same kind. It may be someone who hooked up with a date on plenty of fish that thought he was different than the phony picture he posted and you just happened to see them. haha Could also be one of them was vulnerable and just settled. Like most have been saying you can not judge a book by its' cover and it is really what is inside that counts. No one wants to sit around and hear people brag themselves up -it gets real old fast. And the real good looking ones are conceited and think no one is good enough for them and think you should do nothing but try to please them. They will be lonely old bald men with no teeth--we all do age, no one is exempt.
 celts123
Msg: 186
Posted: 7/17/2008 9:46:43 AM
I have dated an over-weight man before and although his body was not what I would consider sexy by any counts, he had the best personality of any guy that I have ever dated so far. And he was not wealthy I might add. He just had personality and charm that would make a person's head spin. Why is that so hard for many people to accept? Does there have to be an ulterior motive for dating someone less attractive, or unattractive?

In order for a woman to date a man that she thinks is physically ugly because of his personality, that would mean that she spent some time getting to know him to figure out his personality. Based on what I have seen / read / heard on POF and other places, many women would quickly reject a man if there isn't instant chemistry, at least SOME physical attraction, and / or he doesn't match her entire list of requirements. Maybe a few women would date someone that they think is unattractive because of his personality. But IMO most women ( and men as well ) wouldn't.
 celts123
Msg: 188
Posted: 7/17/2008 10:35:36 AM
Well I'm certainly glad most aren't like you celt123. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that it takes all kinds, to make this world go 'round and 'round.

How would you know that most people aren't like me? I said that many people ( not necessary myself ) would quickly reject a person because of the things I mentioned. I didn't state ( in my previous post ) what I would do in that situation.
 Minau
Msg: 189
Posted: 7/17/2008 1:22:14 PM
Hmm...maybe it's because he's insanely good to her and treats her with a lot of love and respect...what woman would not want and fall for a guy like that. BTW...many a times I've come across good looking guys who are terrible people...sorry but their looks alone is not gonna cut it...no thank you.
 asianace10
Msg: 191
Posted: 7/17/2008 4:27:37 PM
When the "hot guys" are concerned about beautiful women dating supposedly ugly men, it definitely proves the point that the majority of hot guys are self centered and immature and need to work on other aspects of their hotness, like trying to be less boring and showing concern for the world around them, though they may be disappointed that the world's appearance doesn't meet their high expectations. Gee what a strange thread, but somewhat entertaining.
 Coliuke23
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2008 4:39:18 PM
i think all good looking guys want to date only models, coz they know his price...n they never will look at simple girls....n its easier 4 man coz they can choose, they can pick any girl they like- n girls need to wait to b choosed
 Lily0923
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2008 5:51:46 PM

its easier 4 man coz they can choose, they can pick any girl they like- n girls need to wait to b choosed

Uhm, what century do you live in? I don't ask men out, but if he thinks he chose me...he's dead wrong....
 _Icon_
Msg: 194
Posted: 7/17/2008 6:00:56 PM
Dont mind me, Im just sittin here thinking about all the hot guys I know who are super-cool.

I know a bunch of not-so-hot guys that are super-cool too.

I have come to the conclusion that super-cool wins.
 kenny1979
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2008 6:59:34 PM
Well there could be a few reason why, she would date someone that you thought was ugly, But my question is if you seen her walking with someone, why would you try and flirt with her to begin with that was bogus as hell, in my book. and apparently you have quite abit of money and you're not useeing that, well learn some humility bud, not everyone is after looks and money... I say give that one point to all of us ugly guys...
 borntoski683
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2008 7:03:12 PM
because the so called "ugly" guys you are talking about must have more guts then you to approach them. Simple as that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >