Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moonchild51
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?Page 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Whitefeather? I totally agree with what you say. Then again, and the proof is in this thread? Many expect things before the date even happens. To me, that puts way way too much pressure on things. My belief is to just go for it and see what transpires. Why place undue pressures on ourselves?
 Nao_Namorado
Msg: 52
Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?
Posted: 7/27/2008 1:54:55 PM
^^^^ Y'all ain't never heard "don't touch the third rule!"?
 Argentum Crinis Philogus
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:36:28 PM

Feminist skilled Cupid. Okay! Give me a break! We ARE the ones who burned our bras

The feminists never burned their bras ... they just threatened to do so.

Best,

ACP
 Argentum Crinis Philogus
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/27/2008 4:51:32 PM
46 actually, the age is wrong. It is documented history, on film. I am only 46 and thank you. I also remember the events.

Feminist Theory actually more of a movement than a theory is an interesting study.

I prefer Humanist Theory--in this way there is no polarization.

Best,

ACP
 Moonchild51
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:37:23 PM

What the hell is third date rule? Now I have to know rules!? lol

Mr. Happy? You are not aware of the so called "third date rule"? No sex before at the very least the third date darlin!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:07:05 PM
Oh my dear Mr. Happy! How very uniformed you are darlin! Perhaps you would like to come, sit on my lap, and Miss Moonie shall read you that chapter in the wide world of dating. After that? You can teach or read to me the book on horsie husbandry?
 clasact
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:20:41 PM

Who the hell puts timelines on when to have sex?
Well, I know about this "rule" only from reading here on the forums the last few months since I began posting. Before that I didn't know a whit about it, I wasn't single then. But you learn somethin' new every day here. (lol)
 Moonchild51
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:30:03 PM
Mr. Happy? The general consencus is no sex until the third date. I never wrote the rules, have only heard of it being that way! Don't feel too bad by not knowing, as I didn't till reading here in the forums!!!

Btw? You are a texan so I simply must ask? Ever heard of that song, save a horse, ride a cowboy???
 Singlemale1962
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:38:23 PM
I dont get it because romance is the art of making someone else feel special. Its not about items or behavior but the sincere and honest effort to make your significant other feel important.

I have dated several woman and for each woman its always something different that makes them feel special. Sometimes its a romantic setting, sometimes its a special gift, and other times its just a effort to step up and do something ordinary and everyday so that it give your significant other a chance to have time either together or alone.

For example once I did some errands I knew my S/O needed to have done. Was a day I wasnt busy and she had a lot of things she needed to take care of. So I did her laundry, Did her shopping and picked up her kids and took them to their grandma's house.

So when my s/o got home from work she had the entire night off. I offered to cook her dinner or even just to give her a massage. She just wanted to relax and read a little and take a nap. While it didnt start off as a romantic night after she woke from her nap she was relaxed and we had a terrific night. She had been so busy she hadnt had time for herself and my gift to her while not some great gift or romantic plan it ended up being just what she needed to recharge her batteries and enjoy the rest of the night with me.

And it became romantic because she knew why I did it and she had alot of her worries for that day gone and could relax and spend a special night with me.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:49:58 PM
Nothing simple with your thinking Mr. Happy! I like to think/believe that when dating we take things in our own sweet time. Never mind the third date rule. I have never applied that. Just have learned it here since being online. Sex happens when and if both parties are agreeable! Of course, there is nothing like some romance/courting to get you to that point. Third date rule or not.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 9:04:53 PM
Nosey? No need to get those knickers of yours in a twist as you are so famous for doing. I was simply posting what I have read here in the forums. Nowhere did I say that I wrote them or even acted on them. Take yourself a chill pill. Was all in good fun!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 9:29:02 PM
Mr. Happy, I totally agree with what you say. Whilst it has been said that there is this 3rd date rule, a couple who meets must surely play it by ear. Some can go there on the first date, without all the romance and courtship. Others take much longer than that. In actual fact, I truly believe that there is no hard and fast rule. The couple takes it as it comes, plain and simple. Whatever they are most comfortable with. And by no means is there anything wrong with "courting". I think it can most definately build up to something worth keepin!
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:16:27 AM
I think 'courtin' is being done right here on this thread. A few of you are doing the 'fussin' ' and feudin' thing like couples do when they are doing the 'back n forth' insults - when in actual fact, they are attracted to one another.

Am glad I'm outta the loop and can come on the forums for the fun, kick back and watch these type of scenarios play out.

Thing is I found my dude ... right here ... and am in the logistics of the 'move' taking place soon.

And.....guess what. Sex can wait till a couple are in love. It can wait until the mind has been totally seduced and the mental love comes before the physical act of it.

Okeydoke... now that I got my thoughts posted, I shall go grab the popcorn/soda and watch this thread continue to play out on the movie screen. It's very entertaining with all the subtle undertones of a 'true romance' novel amongst some of you. Gotta luv it!

And, I truly mean that in a good way!
 clasact
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2008 4:43:06 AM
I'm thinking if people would just stop trying to put a timeline on sex, or trying to figure out when it should happen and get to know the other, relax more, everything would happen when/if it's time........in due time, when the moment is right for both parties and be a special thing. Seems to me like it should be special, with special feelings, but what the heck do I know........

Being in someone's company 3 times doesn't seem to me like a whole lotta time to get to know another person, but that's just me, again, what the heck do I know anyway? I only know myself and before intimacy happens, I'm darn sure gonna know him.....
 Fifi47
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/28/2008 6:54:10 AM
I wonder if the forum posters all were in a room together if romance/courtship and/or sex would happen with any of them?
 Indigo rose
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/28/2008 8:16:40 AM

It's hard to want to pet a porcupine
never pet against the grain.

I think in order to get the romance and courtship you desire, you must stay true to your expectations. Sometimes people don't know what they themselves want ...it stands to reason that they won't know how to tell people what they need.
 Lewis Clox
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/16/2009 9:12:21 AM
I have been thinking about this dilemma for a while. I have tried to compare computer meeting with how meeting was accomplished prior to online services. I have noticed one big change. Prior to mass marketed profile hunting, many folks met (and still do, I'm sure) while participating in an activity that they came to out of a deeper personal interest. So, there already was some kind of common bond. Now, we are faced with a commonality of owning a computer and having internet access. Sure, we can read a profile and get a very shallow idea of the heart of another stranger, but they remain strangers unless we are willing to really put it out there and take a somewhat less-than-calculated risk. At a certain age, we can become risk averse.
Plus the whole title of "Plenty 'o Fish" gives the illusion that we can press our search just a little harder and find a more "perfect" partner. This has never been true in the past and might be even less true now. So ... hmmmm ...
Lew
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:28:33 AM

Plus the whole title of "Plenty 'o Fish" gives the illusion that we can press our search just a little harder and find a more "perfect" partner. This has never been true in the past and might be even less true now.

Yup, you are right. It's just an illusuion. Looking for a more "perfect" partner does not work in my world. In fact, I don't think I have ever looked for a partner nor would I. I am happy with my current status and to seek something for the sake of seeking something has never appealed to me. Having said that, should someone cross my path or I cross someone's path that makes each of us stop and say "wow" then that would likely be the partner for me and I for him.

Yes, I realize that I have just spoken out of both sides of my mouth but that's just how I view this whole romance/courtship/pairing up or whatever name you want to attach to it. I'm a believer that good things happen when you least expect it.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/16/2009 12:44:36 PM
At the bottom of my profile (nearly said Resume, lol!), it says: What am I looking for? An interesting man, a passionate man, a loving man. (That's just one man, peeps!) Do I really think he exists? You bet. And I am a patient woman.

You? I suspect you'll know who you are.

He said he did. And I certainly felt it likely as soon's his first letter. We did manage the long slow pavane of Courtship and Romance, and I believe we were both correct. . . . And it's been more than lovely getting to where we are right now.

Keep the faith, kiddles!

Brownlady1953
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/16/2009 2:14:46 PM
Cupid is dead, deceased, no more, an antiquity, gone,
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 2:46:13 PM

Cupid is dead, deceased, no more, an antiquity, gone.

Okay, I can accept that Cupid is dead but can we collect on the insurance policy? I mean after all, isn't this misrepresentation i.e. dying without leaving us anything i.e. romance / courtship / happily ever after?
 ringo17
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 3:21:42 PM
[in his best Pepe LePeuw french accent] Oh... My leetle turtledoves, romance is not dead. Come with me to Algiers, the city of white, and we will dine on the rooftop in the gentle Mediterranean breeze. We weel fly through the desert at night under the golden light of the moon on the wings of love. "Rooow...Rooow... Le Rooow,Rooow".
 ringo17
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 3:30:02 PM
I'm such a hopeless cartoon romantic.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 9:32:14 PM
There is ONE girl for me still out there who believes in the exact same thing.
I am determined to find her or bust.

verygreeneyez
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/16/2009 11:14:01 PM

There is ONE girl for me still out there who believes in the exact same thing.
I am determined to find her or bust.

~OT~ I recently met someone and he's living proof that romance/courtship are definitely alive and well. It isn't so much what he did/does, it's just who he is. He's not over-the-top on mushiness or showy things ~ but he just emulates "gentleman." It so nice to be around someone like that. I feel really lucky.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?