Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bamagrl68
Msg: 230
Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?Page 9 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
oluben- Winne sounds like just what I need.
Seriously, thank you. :)
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 231
Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?
Posted: 8/5/2015 11:01:41 PM
Every time I've bought a dinner or flowers, it was for me, not her.

I like how I feel about myself when I give and am generous :)

Even if I don't get...laid...
 SLAFFA
Msg: 232
Posted: 8/9/2015 11:44:09 AM
What's happened? Millions upon millions of people realizing they ARE so much cooler Online or on their phones when they are doing nothing more than pushing buttons thousands of times and wondering WHY they are having such "poor luck" and endless whining about OLD. A Dating site Forum is an excellent place for that as well as taking out one's frustrations on other Forum members.

It's not Rocket Science. Talk to people and/or just meet them F2F. There IS a reason that method has worked for thousands of years for billions of people.
 spot4username
Msg: 233
Posted: 8/9/2015 12:58:04 PM
I have never had a man "romance or court" me. I am pretty sure I would like it ... as long as he didn't expect to be in touch every 5 mins.
I'm not dead yet and stranger things have happened so I do hold out a small fraction of hope.
 Maleman999
Msg: 234
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:28:53 PM
^^^Your lack of luck might have something to do with the fact that in your profile, you typed out:
"I am only here to participate in the forums.", a whole bunch of times.
 antirepublican
Msg: 235
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:42:48 PM
Every time I've bought a dinner or flowers, it was for me, not her.

Yeah, I do it for me too. Every Saturday or Sunday, I get a mixed bouquet from the grocery store and put them in a vase in my living room. The flowers really cheer up the whole place and I never get laid for it.
 tallish3243
Msg: 236
Posted: 8/9/2015 2:45:03 PM
Spot, you really need to stop with these self-deprecating posts. Nobody believes you. . . I don't. You are certainly attractive enough to have had more than your fair share of relationships if you wanted them.

And given republican's post, and just viewing your profile . . . I guess we have an answer don't we.

Are you trying to play with the guys here?
 BLonde^J^AngeL
Msg: 237
Posted: 8/9/2015 3:24:45 PM
Remember the old movie Field of Dreams?

IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME!
 spot4username
Msg: 238
Posted: 8/9/2015 4:46:00 PM

Spot, you really need to stop with these self-deprecating posts. Nobody believes you. . . I don't. You are certainly attractive enough to have had more than your fair share of relationships if you wanted them.

And given republican's post, and just viewing your profile . . . I guess we have an answer don't we.

Are you trying to play with the guys here?

I don't care what you believe. I have never had a man do anything that is typically considered romantic. No flowers, fancy dinners, or overnights, love letters, etc. There are lots of people in the same boat as myself and the level of attractiveness is moot. Why don't you toss my zip code in a search for men who are age appropriate and a reasonable distance and see what you come up with? I am not (and don't foresee ever being) in a financial position to move. Not every person has had a great love affair or been lucky enough to even have a string of relationships. Sometimes life puts roadblocks up that just can't be gotten around. I am certainly not the only person that is true for.

I just changed my profile to "forums only" the other day. I also deactivated my OKC profile. Prior to that both profiles were active and I have sent a large number of first contact messages. My match profile is still active. I didn't meet anyone in the 6 mos that I had paid for so they gave me a free 6 mos. I will leave it active until that runs out. I have already stated that I stay active in real life as far as going out. volunteering, etc. Things where hopefully one would cross paths with a person of interest. I did have an offer earlier today while I was at work. He had to come back while his wife was in another shop to make the offer but that's just a tiny detail *eyeroll*

Play with the guys here? I don't even know what that means. If I post a comment it is because I am interested in the topic. Now I recall why I took a break from these forums for the OKC forums.
 daynadaze
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 5:48:56 PM
Feminism and PC did not kill romance, you are allowed to be romantic if you want, or not if you don't, just like at every other time in history. What feminism does is give women equal human rights, that everyone should have, what PC does is require one to be respectful of others, and it one doesn't like being respectful they can take it somewhere away from others. Repeating some drudge dug up by whiners does not make something true.
 pinedrop
Msg: 240
Posted: 8/9/2015 11:06:51 PM
One of my most favorite movies is called,A Bronx Tale. Robert DeNiro is raising his son, Calugo, C, during the sixties in the Bronx. There is a scene where Sonny, the local Mob kingpin explains to C as he is about to go out on his first date with his new girl in Sonny.s car. She is a young African American girl. It is called the door test.

"When you get out of the car make sure the doors are locked. When you walk her to the car you open and close the door for her. As you go around the back of the car look to see if she reaches over to unlock the door for you. Gee Sonny what for? Cause, if she did reach over to unlock your door you gotta dump her. Dump her? Why Sonny? Cause she's a selfish women. That's why"

So as a lady who likes to be treated as a lady what would you have done had you been C's date.
 pinedrop
Msg: 241
Posted: 8/9/2015 11:19:15 PM
Sorry but i have to correct myself

In that scene, Sonny says if she does not reach over to unlock your door then you gotta dump her. So C, does what Sonny said and he looks to see her reach over to unlock his door. She passed the door test. Yes
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 242
Posted: 8/9/2015 11:56:18 PM
Thanks pinedrop, for clarifying the above. I read the first post and as I was about to post a "HUH?", you came thru with the correction.
Now I have to add/admit this. My Bf is very romantic. He opens the car door for me getting in and out of his car.
I don't unlock the door for my BF. LOL I actually don't know where it is. He has the key fob and I believe his door lock unlocks/opens when he unlocks/opens my door?
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 243
Posted: 8/10/2015 12:00:43 AM
I had heard of the doorlock thing before-some guys really use it. I was just being nice that day ><
 CrookCatcher
Msg: 244
Posted: 8/10/2015 12:14:12 AM

I had heard of the doorlock thing before-some guys really use it.

I would'nt worry about the door lock, but when I'm done going through the gears, having her place her hand on my forearm is a nice touch. It's the little things that make the difference.

The hand at the small of her back when walking through a crowded area, etc.

ETA...

I think it would be more telling, if as a couple we approached a door just ahead of a few other people and when I opened the door for her to walk through, does she step to the side to wait for me as the others walk through the door as I hold it or does she proceed on towards wherever we're headed?
 PassionateSunnyGal
Msg: 245
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:21:29 AM
I recently went out with a guy and we got to the door and I just stood there waiting for him to open it--I was getting embarrassed and some people came out-and then all at once it struck him what was suppose to have happen and he apologized--I was like it's ok I understand!

The one thing I am not sure I like is when a guy gets up everytime a woman gets up--went to dinner with a group of girls (4) and 2 guys and one of the guys kept getting up when a girl did to go to the restroom and then when she came back--evil women would wait until he had his food almost to his mouth and then stand up quickly just to see if he took the bite or put it back on his plate. The other guy just said -yall are nuts Im not doing that-go for it bro!
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 246
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:35:29 AM
Romance and courtship has actually played a very small part throughout history. If you look back through history you will find that many people got married just because they were expected to produce offspring and they had little or no romantic life. The notion of romantic love as we know it today started in medieval France.
 halcyon_skies
Msg: 247
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:39:00 AM

I recently went out with a guy and we got to the door and I just stood there waiting for him to open it--I was getting embarrassed and some people came out-and then all at once it struck him what was suppose to have happen and he apologized--I was like it's ok I understand

This custom where the man is expected to open the door for the woman has never made any sense to me. Whomever gets to the door first should open it and hold it open for the next person---it shouldn't matter whether it's the male or the female. Exceptions would be children, the elderly, or the disabled.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 248
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:46:59 AM
^^^ I agree, it's common courtesy. Letting the door slam in somebody's face- how rude is that?
 Peas_
Msg: 249
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:58:57 AM

I would'nt worry about the door lock, but when I'm done going through the gears, having her place her hand on my forearm is a nice touch. It's the little things that make the difference.

The hand at the small of her back when walking through a crowded area, etc.

ETA...

I think it would be more telling, if as a couple we approached a door just ahead of a few other people and when I opened the door for her to walk through, does she step to the side to wait for me as the others walk through the door as I hold it or does she proceed on towards wherever we're headed?

I really miss this about being in a loving relationship with a courteous man. I do need help with heavy doors, and balancing while walking across icy paths and things like that. I really miss someone who is thoughtful with manners.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2015 3:08:39 PM
I have a book of ancient Chinese poetry that would prove this concept wrong.

Romance and courtship has actually played a very small part throughout history. If you look back through history you will find that many people got married just because they were expected to produce offspring and they had little or no romantic life. The notion of romantic love as we know it today started in medieval France.
 pinedrop
Msg: 251
Posted: 8/10/2015 3:26:38 PM
I agree with Crook Catcher,.... most times it is the little things that are the most telling about a person.

When i read some profiles i often come up to the statement " I want to treated like a lady." I have to stop at times and think ok as opposed to what. (actually i assume she means the more traditional manner of courtship souther gentlemen style). Are we to treat a lady one way and a women another. Perhaps a lady is treated differently than say a progressive feminist, not sure. To be treated as a lady does require a certain pedestal outlook which is not exactly in line with feminist equality. Perhaps just saying "I am a romantic person who loves romance" or some such statement is less confusing.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 252
Posted: 8/10/2015 3:53:20 PM

I have a book of ancient Chinese poetry that would prove this concept wrong.

Usually poetry was written by the nobility. They would have lived different from the peasant farmers who were concerned with day to day survival.
 07songsungblue
Msg: 253
Posted: 8/10/2015 4:47:24 PM
I think Pinddrop nailed it regarding "I want to be treated like a lady". Who writes that? I've yet to see a profile that says "I want to be treated like a gentleman". I like romance and romantic words and gestures and I'm quite capable of being romantic as well. You get what you give.
 daynadaze
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2015 5:14:55 PM
Some people are romantic and some aren't and most people didn't really get together to make babies, so much as when you get together many do make babies. But sure romance has been around forever, there have always been people who are romantic. But yes, marriage used to be more of religious/property kind of a thing where the feelings of many were not considered, depending on the harshness of the rules over people, but that did not stop romance and finding someone and having affairs, etc. Many humans have romantic type feelings/behaviors, they didn't just suddenly show up in medieval France.

Look at being gay, there have always been people who are gay, there always will be. The rules can force people to hide, to sneak around, to pretend to be something they are not, but you can never force it out of existence. Governments have tried forever to force people to be what a few want, but you can't take away how the people feel because it's part of being human.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >