Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oddandy
Msg: 237
The Hillraisers just won't foldPage 8 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)

I feel that I'm forced to make a choice between the two major parties
because by not doing so, I'm putting Barack Obama in office with my
vote. This election is possibly going to be so close that every vote may
count. Voting for a third party candidate takes votes away from McCain
and will put Obama in office and I do not, under any circumstances,
want Barack Obama elected to the presidency.

Well, that's the damn thing about it. You are corrrect in that anyone who would vote for say, Ron Paul or (shudder) Bob Barr is likely a vote that otherwise would have gone "anywhere but Obama." That said, this is the reason why neither party EVER lives up to it's promises or actually DOES anything of real substance or makes any real "change."

Most conservatives, for example, are disgusted with McCain getting the nomination. Does the party care? Of course not, they already KNOW you're going to vote for who you're told to vote for (GET THAT) because, well, "at least it's not the Democrat."

I say suck it up and let the Obama win. Hopefully a large showing of Barr votes and Ron Paul write-in's will smart the Republicans into realizing just why their own base didn't garner them enough votes. That's what needs to happen, IMO, otherwise neither party will EVER change. Why should they when they can count on your vote based on the above logic?

Like I said, it's a damn shame, but this is the reality of the situation.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 238
view profile
History
The Hillraisers just won't fold
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:04:51 AM

That said, this is the reason why neither party EVER lives up to it's promises or actually DOES anything of real substance or makes any real "change."

Gee, I remember a guy saying "it's the economy stupid" Then they put him in office and he left us with a huge surplus.

but as usual, what does any of this have to do with the hillraisers?

I've seen many fanatics trying to push their simple minded agendas in attempts to hijack a party but it's just ad dumb to think someone will do better because it's a woman or some one is white or someone hasn't come from a wealthy background.
 faith2565
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 2:56:20 PM
No matter how you want to spin this. You can flip/flop even. The Clinton era will becoming to an end. The Hillraisers have helped her end a career.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 241
Posted: 8/15/2008 3:12:12 PM
I wouldn't count Hillary out. She'll be back to run in 2012 after McCain serves his term.

McCain will probably only serve one term, and there are stories indicating he may
commit to a one-term pledge anyway. He probably couldn't convince Cindy to live
in DC for eight years. He sold his house in Old Town Alexandria years ago because
Cindy wanted to raise the kids in Arizona, and McCain now lives in a condo during the
week.

McCain Camp Hints at One Term Pledge
http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/08/12/mccain-camp-hints-at-one-term-pledge/
 faith2565
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 3:15:53 PM
In 2012 (due to you all's behavior) she will not be in the top 5. I would re-elect McCain before many people will even vote for her. She looks bad. Her career is coming to an end. She has bullied her last person. So, just vote for McCain and move over.

Obama 08
 Strongdad
Msg: 243
Posted: 8/15/2008 3:49:31 PM
I love it. Liberals are cannibalizing themselves! Between this and the abortions, they may become extinct, afterall. Right on! Power to the people!

McCain 08
 Strongdad
Msg: 244
Posted: 8/15/2008 4:20:04 PM
"Wow. You are an a-hole. Do you have anything nice to say about people that disagree with you....ever?? Or do you just revel in your immaturity and ROFL trying to make other people feel thtoop-id? I'm thinking it's not working. It's just making you look really undateable."

Funny stuff. Call me an "a-hole" then ask if I have anything nice to say. That is just so rich. I have to think back to the smarmy posts about republicans. Hmmm. Yes, I am sure I saw that name there. Gee, was I trying to date you??? Bummer.

I am enjoying the cannibalism I am witnessing, no less than anyone on the left does when the gop falls down. Get over it.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a mutiny to get back to.

SD
 Strongdad
Msg: 245
Posted: 8/15/2008 4:37:27 PM
My sons can actually pronouce the entire word. I'm very proud of them.
 exodusi1
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 5:51:38 PM
Again, it is all blown out of proportion by the right wing. I don't see any Democrats on here railing against Obama and for Hillary. I voted for her, but fell firmly behind Obama the second her candidacy became a moot point. Democrats aren't divided, it si mostly a lot of republican operatives TRYING, but won't be successful, at stirring up trouble.

Obama is going to win in a LANDSLIDE!!!
 Strongdad
Msg: 247
Posted: 8/15/2008 6:21:46 PM
"Obama is going to win in a LANDSLIDE!!!"

Funny. Where did I hear that before?

Maybe I should ask Dukakis........or Gore.......or Kerry.

It's deja vu all over again, baby!
 exodusi1
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 6:28:54 PM
Or FDR or Truman???

When your party messes things up, we come in and fix it. We keep power until they forget why they elected us in the first place, then the Greedy old Party returns, to ruin it again. . . "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to relive it !" ~ NB
 Strongdad
Msg: 249
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:04:02 PM
Well then you are not being very loyal to your candidate or the party she represents. If you are going to allow comments and attitudes by other people who do not matter in the grand scheme and are not running for this office sway your own opinions, they must not be very strong in the first place. Where is the conviction? Just blowing away in the breeze like so much garbage?

Not mine.

Perhaps SHE had an open mind.
 exodusi1
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:05:15 PM
It's all dust in the wind. . . I don't know ANY democrats who aren't behind Obama. . .

I don't hear anyone BUT republicans talking about the rift.

Hmmm,

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. . .
 Strongdad
Msg: 251
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:11:29 PM
You may not personally know them....but they are out there.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/26/gallup-poll-shows-many-democratic-voters-ready-to-vote-mccain-if-their-first-choice-doesnt-make-it-to-november/
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 252
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:11:29 PM

Or FDR or Truman???

I'm sure you read in your history books that Truman DID NOT win by a landslide. The
race was so close that a Chicago paper had the headline "Dewey defeats Truman".

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/25/dewey_wins.jpg

However, when the papers read "McCain defeats Obama" on November 5, it will
be the truth.
 Strongdad
Msg: 253
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:12:38 PM
What are the odds that we will have Dan Rather around to call the election for Obama.....hours before the polls close.........again?
 Strongdad
Msg: 254
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:25:34 PM
democrats have this idea that anyone who runs on their ticket should be who every democrat wants... isn't true, with the world like it is, I don't feel that I am blindly going to go with my party just cuz....

Careful dear! They might call you a sellout......or worse.....an Uncle Tom. We are all supposed to think the same. Perhaps we need a big gulp of kool aid.
 Strongdad
Msg: 255
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:45:25 PM
I think Hillary would have been 20 points or more ahead of McCain at this point.

I bet, secretly, Obama supporters know it. That is where the talk of her as veep comes from.

He can't do it without her or her supporters. Shows what an empty suit he really is.
 faith2565
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:50:05 PM
Brandi stated earlier. CNN did a report on it. The secret word RACE. I know we do not want to admit we still have racism in America and that in this election the racist are ONLY black people, but we must look at the facts.
======================
Race as a factor in the U.S. election
Reuters - Friday, August 15
- The issue of race has been at the centre of a series of disputes during this year's U.S. presidential election because Democratic candidate Barack Obama is black and would be the first African American president.

-- Obama told an audience in July his rival, Republican candidate John McCain, was trying to scare voters by pointing out he had "a funny name and he doesn't look like all the presidents on the dollar bills and the five-dollar bills."

McCain said that by falsely presenting him as racist, Obama was shamelessly employing an underhand tactic to appeal for votes. McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said Obama had "played the race card."

-- A July cover of the New Yorker magazine showed a cartoon of Obama wearing a turban and his wife, Michelle, holding a gun. Obama said the cover could encourage misconceptions about him. The magazine said the cover was intended as satire.

-- Then-Democratic contender Hillary Clinton referred in May to Bobby Kennedy's assassination in June 1968 as an example of how Democratic nomination campaigns sometimes stretch into June. Critics said she was implying Obama might be assassinated, an interpretation that Clinton rejected.

-- In May, Clinton cited a poll she said showed her appeal among white voters would be crucial to defeating the Republican Party in November's election. She said Obama's support was weakening "among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans." She denied the remark was divisive.

-- Sermons by Obama's former pastor Jeremiah Wright in which he said "God damn America" and castigated the country for its racial policies rocked Obama's campaign when they were repeatedly played on television in March.

Many voters said Obama's long association with Wright put his judgment and trustworthiness in doubt. Obama gave a wide-ranging speech on race in a bid to dispel concerns.

-- Former President Bill Clinton compared Obama's win in South Carolina's primary in January to the victories of black civil rights leader Jesse Jackson in the state in 1984 and 1988. Critics said Clinton was playing down Obama's victory and belittling black voters. Clinton said that interpretation was unfair.

-- Hillary Clinton said in January that the civil rights movement would not have had the successes it had if Lyndon Johnson, president from 1963 to 1969, had not pushed crucial legislation. Prominent blacks said the remark was dismissive of Rev. Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement.

-- Prominent businessman Robert Johnson, a Clinton supporter, made an apparent reference to Obama using drugs as a youth. Obama has said he used drugs but Johnson was criticized for highlighting a divisive issue.

-- In February 2007, then-Democratic hopeful Joseph Biden described Obama as "articulate and bright and clean." Critics said his words were patronizing and suggested he was surprised a black man could be articulate and clean. Biden apologized.

=============================
Maybe we need to stop and face ourselves.
 Strongdad
Msg: 257
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:55:44 PM
-- Obama told an audience in July his rival, Republican candidate John McCain, was trying to scare voters by pointing out he had "a funny name and he doesn't look like all the presidents on the dollar bills and the five-dollar bills."

How odd. I can't find anywhere where McCain said anything remotely close to that about Obama.

Fear tactics, indeed.

Or is it more victocrat hype???

Only the dumbest amongst American citizens will buy into the mentality, "If you don't vote Obama you are a racist." I can, however, understand why Obama would employ the tactic.

SD
 faith2565
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:14:23 PM
Where would Clinton rank Frank Sinatra. Obama and McCain rank him in their top ten.
==============================
Obama, McCain Find Sinatra 'So Easy To Love'

Frank Sinatra gets votes of approval from both John McCain and Barack Obama.

Weekend Edition Saturday, August 16, 2008 - The latest issue of Blender magazine includes a piece titled "White House DJ," which features lists of the top 10 favorite songs of presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama. Jonathan Schwartz talks about the candidates' selections, as well as their only commonality: Frank Sinatra. Among other picks, Obama chose Sinatra's "You'd Be So Easy to Love," while McCain selected "I've Got You Under My Skin."

Music the universal language
 Strongdad
Msg: 259
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:19:12 PM
Strongdad, you have stated that you don't care about the honesty of things written about Obama, why would anybody take somebodies opinions on a man seriously when the person has stated they don't care if people are lying, as long as they're lies you like?

Jeepers. You would have to show me where I said that. It is funny that one would post such a lie, while decrying lying.

Hey! I just made a rhyme! Maybe Obama can use me on his campaign!

Democrats are gonna "make it rain for McCain." Remember that one? Obama fans said it, when they were whining about the possibility Hillary would win the primaries. How soon they forget.

SD
 Strongdad
Msg: 260
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:45:02 PM
Obama turned out to be just another war mongering liar.

Change. Pffft.
 faith2565
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 3:42:27 PM
Here is the latest article I could find on this topic.
Hillary Clinton Supporters: Are You Happy Now?
August 15, 2008 05:45 PM ET | Morgan E. Felchner | Permanent Link

So she's in. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama announced that Clinton's name will indeed be on the nomination ballot at the Democratic National Convention in Denver. Obama supports this for the sake of unity, saying he hopes it will help bring the party together. This is historic, but will it do anything to satisfy Clinton's supporters?

Clinton joins Margaret Chase Smith, whose name was considered for the Republican nomination in 1964, and Shirley Chisholm, who won 151.5 votes at the Democratic convention in 1972. The National Organization for Women and other groups across the country are touting her accomplishment. "Hillary Clinton's campaign made history this year, with 18 million women and men across the country voting for her in the primaries," NOW President Kim Gandy said in a statement. "And she will make history yet again when delegates from nearly every state in the nation will be able to take the floor and proudly say Clinton's name in the roll call vote."

These groups are right: Clinton is making history. But she is still supporting Obama. Her latest statements show no indication that she expects to win the nomination or join the fight against the "flawed" primary process that groups like PUMA (Party Unity My A—) and The Denver Group are making noise about. When delegates take to the floor and get to vote for Clinton, the woman who got closer to winning the presidency than any woman in history, it will be historic. But for advocates of women in politics, like me, the true example of success is when delegates can vote for a woman who has a chance of winning the nomination. That will be the point in history when we can truly say we've come far enough. Right now, there is still a lot of work to do for women in politics. Allowing delegates to vote for Clinton at the convention isn't the end of the fight for women or, likely, for PUMA supporters.

So my question to all of you Hillraisers is: Are you happy now.............
===========================
 exodusi1
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2008 3:29:03 PM
That is the ticket I wanted all along, just thought it would be with Hillary as the headliner.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >