Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Does good looks triumph every time?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 qriosity
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Does good looks triumph every time?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"Does having an excellent body (male or female), make up for less than comparable facial features?"

heck no! face trumps body. body, one can work on (usually) to get it better....face, nope. Unless you wanna look plastic with surgery.

"If a person is physically a "10", will the good looks give the person (male or female) a "pass", re: not being able to keep a job; minimal education; anger issues; questionable character, bad credit, etc.?"

Depends, how bad is their character to how goooooooood is that 10. So, yes & no. Or...maybe.

*I like diving in the shallow end of the pool....hit head every time.
 windloverr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Does good looks triumph every time?
Posted: 7/18/2008 8:12:28 PM
I think we've all met some ugly people who were drop dead gorgeous until they opend their mouth. On the flip side there are those who were average to unattractive, who became beautiful once you got to know them. Being physically beautiful will get them a lot more introductions; they're on their own after that. As far as a good body compensating for an average face; as far as I'm concerned, it's a package deal. Personally, I'm an eyes and smile guy anyway, the rest is packaging.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 12:04:16 AM
Very few 10's are all that good in relationships or even with sex because they don't have to be. They have never had to be in order to attract members of the opposite sex. It really depends on how they were raised. I would take a country 10 over a city 10 any day. Many 10's are really into themselves more than anyone else. I have dated a couple of really nice looking women in my life and they were really great at looking good and saying all the right things at parties and such. But they weren't all that great in private when nobody was looking at them.

On the other hand, I have known a couple of women who were 10's and were absolutely the sweetest people you would ever want to meet. But they were both country girls from down south. I am not sure I would want an urban 10, too materialistic and into themselves for my taste. Give me one who grew up on a farm and knows what work and sacrifice are. THAT is a real 10.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:34:09 AM
A 10 is a physically attractive person who doesn't NEED a pass on character flaws. I've never met a person that deserved a 10 rating based solely on thier looks. And NO... Looks do not trump personality. Personality can make someone more attractive than you first thought they were; but, it doesn't trump complete physical disinterest.
 Cynderella
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:35:55 AM
The whole package or nothing...looks ain't everything!
 platypus_man
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:38:18 AM
Good looks gets you a first date, but that's it. There has to be something else there to keep the interest. Now, good looks AND great sex will keep someone around much longer, even if their personality is less than stellar.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/19/2008 9:02:49 AM

Posted By: chemistryiseverything on 7/19/2008 1149 AM

I'm a package deal kinda person. But I've often wondered if men would chose a woman with a "model" type body and plain face over a woman with a beautiful face and less than perfect body?????

Depends on how plain the face is, and how imperfect the body, doesn't it? Everyone has different ideas of whats attractive. Even I have a couple of fans.
 milyn15
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2008 11:27:53 PM
Now, good looks AND great sex will keep someone around much longer, even if their personality is less than stellar.

People involved in this type of "relationship" eventually realize that all the good looks and great sex does NOT fix glaring character / relationship flaws. By the time this realization comes to fruition...there are usually children borne of such a relationship. Now the child(ren) are [often] cursed with a useless "parent" (parent in name only).
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/19/2008 11:44:52 PM
I think looks play a bigger role than most people would want to believe. It's biological and natural for looks to compensate for other flaws one may have. With that said, it's not everything, even though for some, it pulls them in like it is.

A guy who could at best land a "6", would date with a lady with massive emotional issues and other huge personality flaws if she were a "10". You see that happening ALL the time. In the end, they rarely ever work out.

For myself, looks is a pass/fail thing. Not a 1-10 thing. When it comes to a relationship and intimacy, one's persona carries the weight, with attractive looks having to pass the test.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:02 AM

Posted By: ron385 on 7/20/2008 833 AM

Message: First of all. What the hell is a "10"? What everybody likes is what they like. So I digress, WTF is a "10"?

A 10 is anyone you find attractive, that feels the same way about you.
 Nighthawk.
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:15:55 AM
The definition of a perfect ten depends on the opinion of who you are talking to. but From society s point of view of a ten, then no. Whats the point of being with somebody because they look good and only for that reason? I'd rather take somebody with imperfections, and a great personality that I can talk to on a regular basis. If there was one thing that I look for it's a pretty face. Because everything else you can work on, but the face is something that more or less stays the same.

And I don't think it's shallow to ask for a picture when you first meet somebody. Lets be honest, you DO need to have some sort of sexual chemistry when your dating somebody, otherwise what exactly are you doing? The personality can overrule the looks. But everything plays a factor when you're looking for somebody. Hence why I try not to prejudge people before I get to know them first. With some women I may not initially be attracted to. Once I start talking to them, I start overlooking things that I may not have initially.
 abelian
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:48:27 PM

If a person is physically a "10", will the good looks give the person (male or female) a "pass", re: not being able to keep a job; minimal education; anger issues; questionable character, bad credit, etc.?

You can find plenty of studies that support that idea. I can tell you for certain that in the legal profession, larger firms have what a lawyer friend of mine called ``wind up toys'' that are the lawyers they send to argue their cases before juries. They won't send in someone whose appearance might be a negative influence on the jurors. He gets prepped by the attorneys who have researched the case right before going in to present the arguments. Similarly, you'll find that the vast majority of pharmaceutical reps are very good looking women. Regardless of what anyone would like to believe, looks matter anytime influencing others is important and there is room for subjectivity in deciding something.
 milyn15
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:34:37 PM
[q]hmm i have noticed when theres like a group of three girls , whoever is the most best looking is the oen that gets approached by guys, i 've seen this countless of times is this what ur talking bout? [/q]

What I am referring to is people (male and female) who are what society / mass media would deem "attractive". Are these "attractive" people given a "pass" to act anyway they want, because they are deemed "attractive"? For instance, a man who treats women like dirt, can't keep a job, a liar, bad credit, etc. get a "pass" from women because he is handsome?

Does a woman who can put a supermodel to shame get a "pass" to do anything she wants without consequences and repercussions?
 windloverr
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2008 2:31:38 AM
If she is sexually attracted to a thin, middle aged, grey headed, balding guy, as far as I'm concerned, she's HOT.
 JustMary65
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:43:16 AM
That's what they make brown bags for!! ( hefty bags for us bigger gals lol)
 abelian
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/23/2008 11:01:37 PM

What I am referring to is people (male and female) who are what society / mass media would deem "attractive". Are these "attractive" people given a "pass" to act anyway they want, because they are deemed "attractive"? For instance, a man who treats women like dirt, can't keep a job, a liar, bad credit, etc. get a "pass" from women because he is handsome?

Sure. Look at studies done on criminal defendants. Juries are much more sympathetic to attractive defendants than unattractive defendants.
 JWork25
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/24/2008 12:24:02 AM
Unfortunately, yes. A good looking person will always have more opportunities, regardless of their past or current transgressions. It's a sick world, baby.
 STH III
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 8:37:39 PM
it may not give you a permanent pass but it can open a few doors.
 isoU
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/25/2008 9:22:05 AM
It is all about looks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Character means nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If U do not have the looks ... U better have the money !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any questions ?
 TheOneWho_
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:44:05 AM
Great physical attractiveness is very... attractive.
However, other issues like you list would certainly trump good looks.

One of the first things I notice in a woman is her shape (body) and how she moves & holds herself.
Never in my life have I seen a woman with good body structure, who holds herself well, and who also had an "ugly" face. Even with "less than comparable" features, the attractive aspects of a woman still show in her face.

...don't forget that the opposite also holds!
 fancynanci
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:27:40 PM
No. There needs to be a mutual attraction. Also, both of you need to bring similar things to the table for it to really work.
 OutMind
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:39:07 PM
It has been proven that when people have good looks, the courts go easier on them, they get better jobs, people think that they are better persons, they even become politicians, sales people and make more money. Face it, society IS that shallow. Even go to some other country and notice that their politicians are kind of ugly, with a beard, bolding or fat, yet here they are all relatively good looking, and very symmetrical.
 UR 2 girls away from 3sum
Msg: 25
Do good looks triumph every time?
Posted: 7/25/2008 2:46:45 PM
^^^ Yes! OutMind
society IS that shallow ... go to some other country and notice that their politicians are kind of ugly, with a beard, bolding or fat, yet here they are all relatively good looking, and very symmetrical
When I lived in Sweden, even the billboard fashion models displayed a far wider range of aesthetics than our narrow little laser beam of attractiveness in USA.
 bigsexyteddybear
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2008 4:07:16 AM
Oh heck yes, the average person who can't even get a date with a "10" doesn't even have a clue. People that are that attractive both men and women are placed above everyone else by society. Wealthy men and women will date and take care of very beautiful people since they can afford them. To them its another possession and status symbol. To the person that is a "10" they often don't even know anything but what life is like for the rest of us since they have been gifted with beautiful looks and body. They get most of what they want paid for them. It all goes to crap later in life when the looks fade, but early on and if they marry right they are set.

Hang out a bit in South Florida and you will see what being a real "10" gets you.
 Blondecharmthe3rd
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/20/2008 4:44:24 AM
I personally would take a compatible guy over a drop dead hottie any day of the week (if the aforesaid hottie was dumb as a post or had other social issues).

The body yet ugly face... all dependent on personality.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Does good looks triumph every time?