Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fancynanci
Msg: 68
view profile
History
The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
To each their. I won't judge....but I don't date guys with pics with drinks in their hands.
 SaintlyExpression
Msg: 70
The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....
Posted: 8/10/2008 12:14:51 AM
To each their own, really. For me, when viewing a pic like that, it depends on the circumstances. Being a light social drinker myself, I would probably not post a pic where an alcoholic beverage becomes the focus of the story. However, if it's simply a prop of circumstance in, say, a tropical resort and that's the only pic I had, providing the imagery was focused on the excitement of that moment and not necessarily the 'drink', then I wouldn't have a problem posting it. Nor would I take issue with someone posting such an image on their profile.

Consequently, if a person chooses to post imagery of beer drinking, smoking, or whatever, it is their choice and no one else's. It's a part of them, for better or worse. And those not interested in such vices will steer away. Better for that in a profile than grow closer to someone only to find out later that they do actually drink or smoke while having fun when something like that is not desirable.
 justinakrfc
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/10/2008 3:22:41 PM
If a girl is holding a pint of Guinness, then I might message her, because not too many people drink Guinness, and it shows she has taste. Now, if she has a funnel, well, I don't know, probably not. But what does it matter?
 mthomjmark
Msg: 77
Posted: 8/17/2008 4:44:52 PM
I think what cracks me up are all the women that have photos in clubs, kissing other girls, or grabbing them, and they always look toasty drunk and they they tell you they are good girls and never go out to clubs or bars. LoL And I was born yesterday too.
 duckling
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:56:34 AM
It is especially a red flag when the profile states "drinks > 3 times / week". I've always wondered if these are the same ones posting that "all the men I meet here are losers"!
 kow626
Msg: 84
Posted: 10/8/2012 4:17:00 PM
This thread might be old but after browsing profiles and seeing chicks in bars, clubs, and posing with drinks, I wondered what the community thought so I hit the forums. I don't date girls that drink and use the advanced search settings to filter them out but I click around from time to time. Some things I look for to spot the party girls and alcoholics are the background of the pictures. If most of them are at what are obviously bars and clubs, then I move on to the next profile. Then I see the "girl's night out" pics of chicks with groups of female friends...in bars and clubs. Then there's the pic with the random guy, no caption explaining who he is...in bars and clubs.

The most common one is what's been talked about in this thread: a chick holding up some sort of alcoholic beverage. The last pic I looked at was a chick drinking an entire pitcher of beer as if it was cool. Mirror pics abound. Dressed like a skank. In her mid 30's. And looking for long term? I'm sure there are plenty of guys who share her lifestyle and they'd make a great match but a relationship where alcohol is the common bond would never last. Pics which are mostly alcohol related (bar or club in background, holding up beer bottle, etc) and the Interests, About Me, and First Date sections also mentioning alcohol are a red flag for me. Oh yeah, I've seen profiles like that. It tells me alcohol is a very important part of their life.

You'd think filtering out these types of results would stop those profiles from showing up but some chicks either weren't thorough when filling out their profile and made a legit mistake or they're straight out lying to increase the amount of emails they get by choosing 'no' to answer their drinking frequency (one would think 'socially' would generate the most email). Sometimes I email them to let them know about their "mistake." Some correct the error, some disappear completely, others ignore me and remain walking contradictions. You can't answer that you don't drink yet your main pic is of you holding up an alcoholic beverage and acknowledging in the caption that it's alcohol. Yep, saw a profile like that so I'm not making it up. Then for a first date you wanna get dinner and drinks. But I thought you didn't drink?

When I'm clicking around, it's mostly to check out the pics but I immediately know that's a chick I wouldn't be interested in anyway when I see certain pic and profile red flags. If drinking is her idea of fun (and I know it is for a lot of people) and if that's the best she's got for a pic (ditto), more power to her in finding a suitable partner. Just be honest in the profile. An obvious party girl looking for long term...that ain't honest! One thing shouldn't contradict the other.
 legendary418
Msg: 85
Posted: 10/8/2012 5:04:31 PM
Damn...a lil self righteous aren't we? I thought when you view a profile you don't like you move on. Didn't realize you start a post complaining about it. SMH
 Debisusanne
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/8/2012 6:01:13 PM
lol.. i seen this subject and quick checked my profile. :)).. I enjoy alcoholic beverages occasionally.. and sometimes people take pics of me doing so.

but.. ahhhh.. not an alcohol pic on my profile at all.. ( this time)..

I go to the POF parties.. and thats usually the type of drinking pic i post(always recent). ... I will drink one beer.. then one water.. then a beer.. then a water.. (then go home)... Lucky me.. they POf party pic has water in front of me.. :))

while i do not want to date a drunk... i would like to date a man who drinks a beer or a glass of wine with me. And to a poster back a ways.. I LOVE guinness.. mm.. good beer!
 kow626
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/8/2012 6:05:31 PM
Damn...a lil self righteous aren't we? I thought when you view a profile you don't like you move on. Didn't realize you start a post complaining about it. SMH

I do move on but if she's hot, I'll stick around for a little while :P
 ro1970
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/8/2012 6:05:45 PM
If I see 10 photos out of 10 on a profile with the individual holding up a can of beer - and the majority of those are in bars.....then it screams the "party boy" image.

While I am not against anyone blowing off a little steam and having a good time once in a while but if it is every single night/weekend then.......sorry.....I'll move on to the next profile.......

I refuse to date a party boy.......... been there and done that....have the Tshirt, hat, and coffee mug......no longer interested.
 grove_22
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/9/2012 6:55:13 AM
Many photos are taken at events that involve drinking. Sporting events, weddings, cookouts, birthday parties etc. This doesn't necessarily mean someone is a heavy drinker, party animal, alcoholic etc. It is possible that a person doesn't drink that often and these events were among the relatively few times (s)he does drink. Or perhaps (s)he likes to have 1-2 drinks at these events. Then stops drinking.
 abmccray
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2012 7:36:41 AM
List of places where I have been randomly holding a drink and have had pics taken of me, just going through my images folder on my hard drive:

- Party
- Bar
- Sporting Event
- Concert
- Art show
- Museum
- Winery
- Wedding Reception
- Group Dinner
- Softball Game (that I'm playing in)
- Bowling
- Work event
- Festival
- Pool Hall
- Work Christmas party
- Ski lodge
- Beach

It doesn't show "alcoholic" as much as it shows "actually goes out and does social things" in general. Even when I switched my profile around to "not dating" and then only mostly included pictures of myself and other women so people would stop messaging me anyway, I found that a few happened to have alcohol in them simply because i was, you know, "out."
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/9/2012 10:47:56 AM

any photos are taken at events that involve drinking. Sporting events, weddings, cookouts, birthday parties etc. This doesn't necessarily mean someone is a heavy drinker, party animal, alcoholic etc. It is possible that a person doesn't drink that often and these events were among the relatively few times (s)he does drink. Or perhaps (s)he likes to have 1-2 drinks at these events. Then stops drinking.

What's to prevent a person from setting DOWN the drink while a picture gets taken?

Some people don't touch the stuff all week and then go out on Friday night and get blitzed. Binge drinking once a week means they have a drinking problem, right?

Some people have wine with dinner 2-3 times a week, beer during the football game, and pass-the-flask around the bonfire on Saturday night. They may still be able to drive themselves home at night, but is it REALLY any better to consume alcohol several times a week?

I'm sorry, but eight pics with drinks means eight drinking pics. My experience is that very few drinkers will stop at a few drinks, and those people (like myself) that tend to nurse our alcohol or stick to sodas, don't feel compelled to show off our beverages in photos. Besides, most of the time the sober ones are the ones taking the pictures, not IN them - better to blackmail our friends with shots that are clear and in-focus!

Everything in moderation is good - for BOTH photo albums AND for those judging them by their pics.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2012 11:01:43 AM
what about the people holding up coffee or milk, they are the real freaks!
 pescando75
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/9/2012 2:57:06 PM
[societal observations]

I am a fan or irony, and when those whose drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and love coffee, on top of potential pharmaceuticals and over the counter drugs, have "must not do drugs" in their profile, I must admit it makes me chuckle a little. America is a nation of people who like their substances for certain. Many don't realize it, however. Mainly depends what is deemed "acceptable."

[/societal observations.]
 abmccray
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2012 3:15:28 PM

Some people have wine with dinner 2-3 times a week, beer during the football game, and pass-the-flask around the bonfire on Saturday night. They may still be able to drive themselves home at night, but is it REALLY any better to consume alcohol several times a week?

Red wine? Yes it is, actually.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/9/2012 5:43:56 PM
a glass of red wine daily is recommended.. good for your health..

YET.. if you drink daily.. you are an alcoholic..

We cant win can we?
 cabanaboy65
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2012 6:50:48 PM
In the Bible, Paul tells Timothy "drink a little wine for your stomach sake." who are we to judge?
 grove_22
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/10/2012 6:58:11 AM
What's to prevent a person from setting DOWN the drink while a picture gets taken?

Perhaps there was no place to put the drink at. Unless there is a nearby table, I would hold on to my drink when my photo is taken.

I'm sorry, but eight pics with drinks means eight drinking pics. My experience is that very few drinkers will stop at a few drinks

The bold part is an assumption that's not always true. I know plenty of people that would have 1-2 beers or a glass of wine at various social events. Then they stop drinking because they aren't heavy drinkers, they are driving etc. Yes there are other people that will sometimes drink more than 1-2 beers at a social event. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are heavy drinkers / party animals that get hammered every weekend or at every social event they attend.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/10/2012 7:52:53 AM

these dont really bother me as much as the topless man taking a photo of himself.....
1) why topless and 2) havent you got someone who can take a photo of you??

Have I got someone who can take a photo of me?
Yeah - my OTHER girlfriend - who just happened to be in the bathroom when I was getting out of the shower. Geez, think about what you're asking sometimes - there's no good way to do a self-portrait without extra photo equipment or a LOT of arm-length guessing, so give it a rest. Topless pics are supposed to be blocked on this site anyway.

The bold part is an assumption that's not always true. I know plenty of people that would have 1-2 beers or a glass of wine at various social events. Then they stop drinking because they aren't heavy drinkers, they are driving etc...

I know that. I'm one of them. But how many 'sober' drinkers do you know that hold up their plastic Solo cup like it's a trophy?

If you're gonna complain about bathroom pics or behind-the-wheel pics because they are boring, I'm still going to maintain that multiple pics of you holding a drink are JUST as pathetic. People do bathroom and car pics because it's convenient and they don't need to borrow a friend to do it. If you've got a friend willing to do a group shot at a bar table somewhere, why the heck can't they take photos of you bowling, shooting pool, riding a horse, motorcycle or holding something OTHER than a drink?
 kow626
Msg: 101
Posted: 10/10/2012 8:36:17 AM
As the OP's headline/subject suggests, the problem isn't just HOLDING an alcoholic beverage. The real problem is HOLDING UP an alcoholic beverage. Holding it up to make sure it's the true subject of the picture. As if it was a trophy to be shown off. To let people know, "Hey, I'm drinking and this drink is as important as me." Any pic of me with a beverage, any pic of me with others with a beverage, the beverage isn't the subject. The beverage is being HELD, not HELD UP. I tend not to associate with people whose lives revolve around alcohol to that degree. Claim to be social drinkers but they're social every night, every weekend, or everywhere they go, they can't have fun without alcohol. One friend of mine owns a nightclub, his business is to serve up drinks, but none of his club pics that I've ever seen him in show him holding up a drink. They show him having fun with friends and patrons. They're the subject, not the drink.

On the flip side, I've seen chick pics where they're not holding up their drink but every pic has them either holding one or their table is full of them. Speaking for myself, I think that's alcoholism. They can justify it by saying they're a social drinker, as most drinkers will do, but if they chose to upload those particular photos over ones where alcohol isn't in them, alcohol pics are the best pics that they have to show them in their best light, then that's a red flag not to be ignored. That's her (or his) subtle way of telling you that alcohol is a very big part of their life and if you get with them, you can't complain about it later.
 abmccray
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2012 8:50:44 AM

If you've got a friend willing to do a group shot at a bar table somewhere, why the heck can't they take photos of you bowling, shooting pool, riding a horse, motorcycle or holding something OTHER than a drink?

Most of those pictures come from being tagged in them on Facebook/social media. I only "hand someone a camera" during events that can't be duplicated often, ie. me climbing a rock or something, but the vast majority of my 'action shots" come from friends taking pics and putting them on Facebook or something. Those are the pics a lot of people use, as it is the easiest way to find pics of you actually DOING something.
 five-marie
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2012 10:13:54 AM
For the second time I had a random stranger message me commenting on the beer in my photo. First one called me a drunkard, second one said I looked like a drunk. The one today was a man in his thirties, why does he even care what my picture looks like?
I am not a drunk. I used to drink a couple times a week, last year or so hardly at all. I never thought it would be an issue having a picture like this.
There are so many things people bash on these forums I can't keep track of them all anymore. If you're sitting around looking at pictures and judging strangers you really need to find a hobby.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/10/2012 10:38:37 AM

Most of those pictures come from being tagged in them on Facebook/social media... Those are the pics a lot of people use, as it is the easiest way to find pics of you actually DOING something.

YES - There's no crime in using pics from Facebook in a Dating profile - and people do it ALL the time.

For the second time I had a random stranger message me commenting on the beer in my photo.

Unfortunately there ARE people so shallow that they judge you by just your main profile pic, and probably don't even look at much else. Best you can do is look for a less 'anal' personality.

I have plenty of pictures of myself, but I only use maybe 3-4 different ones for the primary pic - because the others have 'something' in them that annoys people. Right now I'm using the bathroom pic for my primary because I don't really give a damn about looking my 'best', and I want to leave it up to annoy some critics who took the time to b1tch at me in a message.

One other annoying point about the bar photos - most of the time they are group shots with 3-4-5-6-7 people in them. Which one is YOU? You HAVE to take the time and put something in the caption, folks - it takes so little effort, and it's terribly annoying to look at a room of people partying trying to figure out who is who.

It's just like using 7 pics of you and your best friend, and the eighth pic is you walking on a beach from a quarter mile away. Am I reading about the cute blonde, or the slightly uglier redhead with the heavy coke-bottle glasses? CAPTION IT!
 RaleighRedChick
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/10/2012 11:17:11 AM
You're straight-edge. No need to knock or insult those who aren't. If I'm having a drink with a group of friends & feel like holding up my beveridge to the photo-taker ... so be it. YOU or anyone else shouldn't be JUDGING and assuming I'm an alcoholic.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >