Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abmccray
Msg: 107
view profile
History
The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The reason why bathroom photos and self-holding-camera photos are 'bad' are that they play on subconscious negatives that will probably effect a majority of people, even if they don't realize it. Every picture shows "you" - but location, lighting, etc. play on the subconscious relation to "you"; having an effect on people without realizing it. Bathroom pics are big because of a mixture of the location being, well, a bathroom, dimmed lighting in bathrooms throwing a general "negative" feel on those pics, and seeing someone taking a picture of themselves.

It's not a "don't do it"; it's more of a "it's not a good idea to do this because it can give many/most people a negative 'feel' about you without even realizing that it's happening." That's why it's good to have outdoor/sunny/bright pictures of you smiling and actually doing things - mental association. Among almost everyone, this will have a positive effect.

The issue with "holding a drink" pics is that this association basically isn't as universal. Boring, friendless people that sit around doing nothing, or people that have had bad experiences with alcohol with CONSCIOUSLY dislike those types of pictures; but since the subconscious association with bars and groups of people and drinks are so mixed, there is no set "rule" about using them. Generally, people that go out in similar social situations aren't bothered, those that don't, are, so it can be rather self selecting and not have any effect on the person posting the picture.

/art + marketing guy that messes with imaging for this reason for a living
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 108
The Holding up a Beer/Cheers Photos....
Posted: 10/10/2012 12:21:07 PM

The issue with "holding a drink" pics is that this association basically isn't as universal. Boring, friendless people that sit around doing nothing, or people that have had bad experiences with alcohol with CONSCIOUSLY dislike those types of pictures; but since the subconscious association with bars and groups of people and drinks are so mixed, there is no set "rule" about using them. Generally, people that go out in similar social situations aren't bothered, those that don't, are, so it can be rather self selecting and not have any effect on the person posting the picture.

Having a single drink picture does not bother me in the least; as far as a moral standpoint - it's the profiles with SEVERAL drink photos <=== that distinguishes a pattern, which makes the alcohol association a much stronger argument. People may like going to happy hour once a week, and maybe they don't even drink very much - but if your social life is so devoid of other social situations that you cannot replace a couple Bar pics with a couple odd activities, that IS a social flag to be raised when looking at an online dating profile.

I'll admit I don't have a lot of great photos doing other things - it is difficult - action pics are not posed, and therefore not very flattering for the most part. I stuck in a baby photo to make mine unique. A lot of guys make the mistake of showing off their 'toys' in photos - but they are standing NEXT to it, not USING it - which can be just as annoying.

/art + marketing guy that messes with imaging for this reason for a living

/advertising + theater design artist who can easily Photoshop stuff in, or out of a picture
 grove_22
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/10/2012 7:49:35 PM
I know that. I'm one of them. But how many 'sober' drinkers do you know that hold up their plastic Solo cup like it's a trophy?

I have been in multiple photos holding a beer when I was sober. These photos are taken at various settings.

If you're gonna complain about bathroom pics or behind-the-wheel pics because they are boring, I'm still going to maintain that multiple pics of you holding a drink are JUST as pathetic. People do bathroom and car pics because it's convenient and they don't need to borrow a friend to do it.

I don't have a problem with cell phone / mirror photos. I disagree with the generalizations that people have made about these photos and other types of photos.
 KneadyOne
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/14/2012 9:52:51 PM
Oh c'mon now, who really cares about how a picture is taken? If someone has a problem with a picture taken in a bathroom, then steer clear of them. They'll find a whole host of other things wrong with you as well.
Myself, I usually stay away from women who say they don't drink or smoke, and half their pictures are in a bar with an ashtray at their elbow.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >