Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Define "Classic Rock"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DJMac
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Define "Classic Rock"Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
How would yall define classic rock?

Like if you had to explain it to a martian that just landed on eath. Seems many people have different definitions as to what classic rock really is. Some people I know think its not what they play on "classic rock" radio.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 2
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:12:23 PM
If I go by the radio... it seems to be anything that's 10 years old or more.
 untamed one
Msg: 3
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:35:10 PM
My definition is AOR music from 1968 to 1978 . From the Doors to Boston .
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 4
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:44:21 PM
^

I've heard pearl jam referred to as classic rock.

My definition is AOR music from 1968 to 1978

See.. now.. when I was listening to this type of stuff in the 80's it was already called classic rock. But now it's 2008 and at some point... tunes from 1988 and and 1998 have got to become "classic" too? No?
 untamed one
Msg: 5
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:52:00 PM
Lol no , IMO music from the 80's , 90's and now is advertised as such on some stations and that's what it is , so it can be pearl jam , flock of seagulls, nirvana , STP or any such group from that time period .
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:54:59 PM

My definition is AOR music from 1968 to 1978 . From the Doors to Boston .

I'd move the start year to 1963, and the Beatle/British invasion part of that 63-68 period. I might even relax a bit from, being O/C and extend that period into a later period, on a good day - for certain bands.

Although I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, some of their songs don't feel out of place with that "classic rock " definition, in that they are kind of "rock anthems". So that's on a band by band example.

Also it's a local thing. Artists like Chris De Burgh/ELP were huge here, as was Genesis in the early days. That's all after '68, but still a "classic rock" period , at least here.

Peter Gabriel, another one where he gets that special pass.

As with AC/DC there's the "special rock guitar anthem" clause, and it's an exclusive club to be a member of. Stevie Ray's another of those "classic rock" musicians, who (in an O/C way) don't qualify by any strict standards.

We have a "classic rock" station in Montreal, CHOM, and they've played JONAS ? I mean he IS a home town boy, but still.....classic rockand........JONAS ?
 untamed one
Msg: 7
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 5:01:55 PM
Yup , I'd put the Beatles in there , for their late 60's output , but I'd feel the British Invasion was too poppy as a whole . You make a good case for individual performers and groups , though ,especially Gabriel . Deburgh fits in too , as I remember having Spanish Trains and singers like Chris Rea too .
 untamed one
Msg: 8
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/21/2008 5:16:41 PM

CLASSIC ROCK:
The Beatles
Cream
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
Santana
The Rolling Stones
The Who
WOODSTOCK

Nope , I don't see Hawkwind anywhere there ...
 untamed one
Msg: 9
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/22/2008 3:09:06 AM
Hi Oscar, i think msg 6 is being misunderstood , as a reply to mariachi ,classic rock isn't nirvana , pearl jam , STP et al , but simply music from the 80's , 90's and now , and stations advertise it as just being music from the 80's , 90's and now
 Thatguy67
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/22/2008 3:44:16 AM
Good question.

For me, its anything that's good that has been played to death.

Recently I was listening to a local classic rock station and they were playing something from the Smashing Pumpkins from 1993. Kinda made me feel old.

But I think of classic as anything from the start of the 1964 British invasion until the early 1980s.

Wookie50
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:56:47 AM
Yeah, its all of that stuff mentioned above. Mostly 70's hard rock with some 60's and 80's thrown in. Its too restrictive though. They will play the most well known stuff from bands like Styx, Journey and Genesis but they should really dig in to the lesser known tracks. And I would be a happy man if I never heard Life in the Fast Lane again.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/22/2008 10:19:40 AM
Any music that is 25 years old or more.

2findU
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/22/2008 1:46:46 PM
Most of the rock that I consider to be "classic" predates 1977, basically predates Disco. But I do have some exceptions from bands I like in the classic rock style that are from the 80's and even some from the 90's. Such as Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Steve Vai and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
 DJMac
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/22/2008 3:54:05 PM
I'll go one further. I think true "classic rock" is the founding fathers:

Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly.

That also includes several 60's bands: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Who, Animals, Dave Clark Five

It never goes on the list but 70's punk like the Ramones would be true classic rock to me.

What they play on "classic rock" radio wouldn't have been if it weren't for the 50's and 60's stuff. Thats just my take.

Another thing: Notice how classic rock radio plays the same Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd,
Lynryd Skynrd, Boston songs over and over and over?

My town here our classic rock radio now includes 90's bands like Nirvan, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and more recent bands like Creed, Nickelback, Korn and the like. I dont think that really counts as classic rock, but thats just my opinion.
 electrifying84
Msg: 15
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/25/2008 12:46:20 AM
Probably songs that are ten years or older.
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:04:30 AM
First of all, I think the definition of classic rock is very much a matter of personal taste, and what feels classic to an individual probably has a lot to do with what he/she was listening to in their teenage years. Rock music is kind of synonymous with youth.

I judge the mid sixties as being the time when Rock 'n' roll mutated into what became known as Rock. Influenced by Jazz and by Pop Art, the music took on a more experimental and artsier direction, due to the efforts of guys like Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. Bands like the Beatles picked up on the Zeitgeist shift and produced work that inhabited this new area. An early indication from these venerable pioneers of some splendid Rock riffery would be songs like I Feel Fine, and a bit later on, Day Tripper and Paperback writer. For me this is the time in rock history when the movie alters, Wizard Of Oz style from monochrome to technicolour. On some days, Paperback Writer is my favourite Beatles record ever, and encapsulates this artsy new direction of pop music by dropping the traditional boy/girl romance formula and becoming about anything you want it to be about, subject matter-wise, coupled with a new rock sensibility. Listen to the adroit little riff that punctuates the verses of Paperback Writer and be astonished at the lush multitracked vocal assualt of the chorus. I believe the song was too complex to produce convincingly live due to the vocal overdubs but I'm really glad they took the time to create such a gem in the studio.

Anyway, I'm going off on one here. To summarize; for me personally Classic rock is the strain of musical experimentation that followed traditional 50's Rock 'n' Roll and sustained its creative drive through the 60's and 70's, mutating along the way into new variants like Progressive and Psychedelic Rock. There are lots of artists and bands that I could reference, but for me most of them would come from this 60's - 70's period. I see this as a golden era, but it might just be due to the fact that I'm an old bast@rd.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/25/2008 8:36:04 PM
Classic rock is a just another genre specification created by radio stations (mostly now owned by suits) to let listeners older than 25 who don't like Lincoln Park and gangsta rap know that it isn't going to be folk, Neil Sedaka and Anne Murray records putting them to sleep, but it also isn't going to be Slayer, Napalm Death & Rotting Christ pulverizing their eardrums either. It's a catch all term that means music you are familiar with that are more rock than pop (classic rock radio rarely deals with anything new unless it's a group or group related to one that it already plays). Somehow AC/DC and Metallica and more than a few hair metal bands wormed their way into the classic rock spectrum. But those are exceptions, not norms.

Before radio started all the genre specs to get advertising and also guide those not intelligent enough to find their own way, we called it rock n roll. The lighter stuff was called pop. The heavier called metal (or acid rock back in early 70's). The other stuff didn't matter.
 untamed one
Msg: 18
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:36:06 AM
ok , everyone calm down and play Live is Life by Opus ...LALA_LALALA , everybody , LALA LALALA , LIFE !
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/26/2008 11:30:27 AM
But, please list these bands, as to further define this movement. Sometimes people need visuals to convince them.Rock On~David Essex...

Sixties Classic Rock artists include:
Beatles ~ Kinks ~ Small Faces ~ Who ~ Beach Boys ~ Byrds ~ Hendrix ~ Dylan ~ Badfinger ~ Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green ~ Pink Floyd (especially with Syd Barrett) ~ Rolling Stones ~ Simon and Garfunkel.

Seventies artists include:
Fleetwood Mac without Peter Green but with the also superb Danny Kirwan (at least for a few years), then with the lovely vocal additions of Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie ~ Steely Dan ~ Free (British band featuring Paul Rodgers who later became big in America with Bad Company and also featuring the unique wailing soulful guitar sound of Paul Kossoff) David Bowie ~ Crosby Stills & Nash

Exceptional Singer songwriters abounded in the Classic era including:

Neil Young ~ Joni Mitchell ~ James Taylor ~ Carole King ~ Van Morrison

I'm sure there's plenty more to be remembered but I'm short of time now.

I watched Beatles movie, Help with my 12 year old niece the other day and she was pretty unmoved by their music. She likes Green Day and Evanescence. No doubt in 40 years time her idea of classic rock will be completely different to mine.
 fetish4u
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 7/27/2008 6:47:34 PM
I think of my favorite music.I'm the biggest fan of the mid-60's-80's.That what I think when I think of Classic Rock.
 MadMax_1
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Define Classic Rock
Posted: 8/20/2008 4:21:01 AM
Now here's a pointless and subjective discussion if ever there was one.
Why are people obsessed with putting labels and tags on everything, creating maps then ultimately confusing the map with the territory? Who cares what classic rock is?
This is guaranteed to degenerate into bickering since there's no state or culturally-approved definitions and everyone thinks their own is the law!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Define "Classic Rock"