Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His Lead      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 southernlass
Msg: 28
Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His LeadPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

As opposed to the man spending you into the poorhouse now, the same one who INITIATED the base (and lead the fight for) that Global Poverty Act ?

As discussed over and over again, the GPA isn't "Obama's" act, it's Bush's. It's exactly what he negotiated with other countries, and "Obama's" bill is simply following his mandate.

Oh no. Not that. You're telling me that Obama is following a Bush mandate?!!

I thought only McCain had the-follow-Bush-disorder. lol. But it would seem that Obama has the same problem, hmm? Seems Bush isn't as stupid as everyone makes him out to be if both men desire to continue his mandates and plans -- However in terms of this one, we just can't afford it, MG, and you know it.

ManeRider
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His Lead
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:02:52 PM
Talk about Grasping At Straws.

As opposed to the man spending you into the poorhouse now, the same one who INITIATED the base (and lead the fight for) that Global Poverty Act ?

Seems Bush isn't as stupid as everyone makes him out to be if both men desire to continue his mandates and plans -- However in terms of this one, we just can't afford it, MG, and you know it.

Actually you're right, Bush is hands down, much more stupid than I ever thought a person could be.
And you're right. 2 trillion dollars for the war is crippling our economy.
And Mccains backed-by-Bush stance, that 100 years in Iraq blooper he made, pretty much sums it up. We CAN'T afford it, and you know it.
The GPA isn't worth a damn if we're sending our monies overseas to the tune of 10 billion a month.

Someone...... ANYONE......... is it 2008 yet?
 southernlass
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:30:54 PM
Obama has every intention of redeploying all of our troops from Iraq to Afghanistan. We'll not save a dollar. Obama will continue all of the Bush mandates and initiatives in Iraq and Afghanistan. He will not bring the troops home. He flip flops around every which way on this only to return to sounding exactly like Bush and doing the same things that Bush would do.

We cannot afford the Global Poverty Act. We need to do something about the deficit. You won't have any social security/medicare/ or any other social program when our economy is in a state of collapse. Oh, but let's do it Barry's way, huh? Spend us into the poor house paying for the world while we ignore the hungry and homeless in our own country and the ever more overwhelming, growing deficit. What a brilliant plan!
Not.
 exodusi1
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 9:36:42 PM
First of all, Obama is a well educated individual. He was the ONE with the foresight to speak out AGAINST invading the WRONG country in the first place. Second, now that the idiot in chief has MESSED things up so badly in the Middle East and Persia, we CAN'T just pull everyone out. That he is demostrating CAUTION, is a GOOD thing, not STATUS QUO.

So, yes, he is moving around a bit as he analyzes the situation better. If you clearly cared about anything but the RHETORIC, you would see that this is a PHENOMINAL change from what has gotten us into the mess.

It feels GREAT to have a candidate I can truly believe in. . . I wish I could describe the feeling, but I can't. There is no common frame of reference. The last great Republican President was in office before I was born. So, if you can remember Ike, you can explain how it feel for me!
 flyguy51
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/24/2008 10:50:49 PM
Some critics of Obama sound like this: "I don't care if he is intelligent, well-educated, well-spoken, well-travelled, charismatic, inspires masses of listeners both foreign and domestic and builds an effective campaign staff... I want a person who can be the president of the United States, not an empty suit!"
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 11:12:03 PM

Obama: Favorable/Unfavorable
RCP Average Fav/Unfav +22.7

Rasmussen Fav/Unfav +11.0
CBS News/NY Times Fav/Unfav +8.0
Quinnipiac Fav/Unfav +26.0
Newsweek Fav/Unfav +24.0
CNN Fav/Unfav +31.0
FOX News Fav/Unfav +26.0
USA Today/Gallup Fav/Unfav +33.0

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/
obama_favorableunfavorable-643.html

McCain: Favorable/Unfavorable
RCP Average Fav/Unfav +18.6

Rasmussen Fav/Unfav +17.0
CBS News/NY Times Fav/Unfav -1.0
Quinnipiac Fav/Unfav +19.0
Newsweek Fav/Unfav +23.0
CNN Fav/Unfav +22.0
FOX News Fav/Unfav +26.0
USA Today/Gallup Fav/Unfav +24.0

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/
mccain_favorableunfavorable-642.html

Based on those spreads, on multiple independent polls, I think we can safely say the "voter unease" factor may be one thing that McCain leads in, actually.

His campaign is in tatters, his major platform stances are fading against the cold light of reality (economy, Iraq) , and he's got rid of his advisers. That's all going to play against him quite strongly, as the months progress.

Obama will be seen as the new, McCain the old, on multiple levels. McCain's tie in with Bush, with the "Bush doctrine" , will tie him into the last eight years - and make his campaign seem like a continuation of the current direction.

That's something that more and more Americans are realizing as a bad thing. Every headline, every news story that's a negative.....costs McCain votes.

McCain's a "snail mail" type of guy, in a Facebook age. The chances of him attracting any of the youth vote , in any substantial numbers, is slim to none.

McCain's website, the last time I checked, doesn't even feature ANY references that touch on the youth vote.

This flood of new voters, young voters, doesn't seem to have the same fear of Obama as other demographics might have. This may be a record year for their involvement, and that "surge" will quite possibly overpower any other single voting block.

The 18-29 demographic in 2004 was seventeen percent. That group was split (with a slight advantage to Bush), but McCain probably won't get anywhere near the same advantage against Obama.

Add to that the African-America vote, which McCain will lose to Obama, and it's a double whammy. That demographic may turn out in record numbers, historically record numbers, and add to tipping the scales. In 2004 , African-American votes accounted for eleven percent of Bush's total.

McCain, running against Obama, won't equal that.

McCain's anti-Roe vs Wade stance, a quite public one, may cost him serious losses with the female demographic.

In 2004, Bush's female vote was forty eight percent. I doubt McCain will equal that too.

His pro-war stance may also inflict more damage, in a nation tired of war, and set against the Iraqi people's desire for American force withdrawal.

And finally, as the economy worsens under a unpopular Republican president, that will make the America voter reflect quite strongly on the direction America is going. If it's hitting other people, it's not as important as when it hits YOU, your friends, and your family.

Twenty three percent of the 2004 voters made under $ 30,000, and that demographic is going to be quite heavily affected by rising costs of living and gas prices.

If they see themselves losing ground, they will not be likely to wish to continue the present course, and commit themselves to another four years of possibly continuing to suffer the same fate.

So, in the end, it seems that the final victor here may win due to demographic factors that all favor Obama.

Source for those demographics :

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/elections/how_groups_voted/voted_04.html

Those factors will all combine together, and overcome any "fear factor" that one may argue is impacting on Obama's potential for election.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:52:59 AM
Couldn't even find where you came up with the unfavorables from McCain on RCP, but the one trend that counts is McCain closing the gap, as you can see from the graph at:

vhttp://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

BTW, the link you gave above came up as 403 Forbidden.
 jcrew617
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/28/2008 6:41:11 PM
I think Nanny State and Nanny city is code word for poor black people.

I don't know too many Americans who live off the system or the ones that are happy about it. I don't think anyone can really live on food stamps. I think that is why gangs and drug dealing is appealing because low barriers to market entry and no red tape. It beats getting a SBL from the bank.
 jcrew617
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/29/2008 6:27:23 PM
If you live on a farm, the you can free yourself of all govt interaction.

But there are so basic things that the govt is invovled in our daily lives unfortunately. We have public schools, transportation, roads, fda, social security, disability, employee benefits, etc that are affected by govt control and regulations. A lot of small businesses won't provide health care to their employees, now is that really fair? If state or local govts can create a plan for the uninsured to get coverage, isn't that better than no coverage at all?

I don't know about the numbers and budget for welfare and other social needs programs. I imagine that if these programs didn't exist something like the storming of the bastille would happen.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/29/2008 7:41:44 PM
A 'nanny' state is just a common term used for a state or nation which is seeped in government support of a lot...lot... of social programs. Making the people more and more dependent on the government for it's basic needs. At least that's the way I've seen it used mostly in context.

As to Voter unease with Obama... it appears the polls are reflecting this. He and McCain are neck n neck in a race which most - meaning.. the media - were reporting that Obama would take a double digit lead soon and maintain it. This hasn't happened. Plus, it's very very difficult to get a handle on what true Middle America will do since, for the most part, they don't frequent internet forums/blogs, etc. Yet, they turn out en mass for actual voting during elections.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Voter Unease With Obama Lingers Despite His Lead