Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LoverFighterWriter
Msg: 50
He brought his Fanny with him...Page 2 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
At first glance, rejecting someone because he wears a fanny pack may seem shallow, but really there's more to it than that. Think about it like this: what does the fact that he wore a fanny pack tell you about his personality? It shows he lacks basic social skills - specifically, he doesn't understand and therefore can't conform to simple rules of fashion. He's totally out of touch with the world around him. It would be different if he understood that wearing a fanny pack was uncool and he did it anyway because he's a rebel and he doesn't care what other people think of him, but from what you've said it's obvious that he's just plain oblivious to what other people think. He just doesn't "get it". Wearing a fanny pack is surely just the tip of the iceberg.

I think it's completely reasonable to want to be with someone who understands his own culture and the people around him, someone who's socially aware, someone who notices what's going on around him. A person who fails to understand how he relates to the rest of the world is unlikely to be able to relate well to you. Rejecting him was not too shallow. It was good common sense.
 lateef7842
Msg: 54
view profile
History
He brought his Fanny with him...
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:18:23 PM
Wow, what is this, high school? I understand wanting to have someone who dresses to a certain standard. I make sure I look good and dress appropriate for every occasion. And, I expect the same out of any woman I date. However, if I met a woman I connected with (as you say you connected with him), and she dressed a little odd, I wouldn't stop dating her.

From what you say, he seemed open to direction in regards to his fashion sense. Why not go shopping with him and teach him how to dress? If I meet someone and they don't measure up fashion wise, but everything else is cool, I'll show her what looks good and how to dress. It actually makes for a great date. A lot of people don't know how to dress. But, they are great people who are honest, hardworking and very interesting. Often, these people make better companions because they have taken the time to develop the things that truly matter. Like character.

I go places two or three times a year where wearing the right clothes and projecting the right image is essential. Having someone ill "put together" on my arm would reflect badly on me. However, I'm mature enough to know that having a good woman, who is fashion backwards, is better than having a trendy girl who dresses nice but is anything but that. A person's clothes can always be made over. But, a bad attitude is often permanent.

I think calling you shallow is an understatement. Juvenile is a better description.

Lateef
 Wildman46
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:39:25 PM
" I had one of those fanny packers too... didn't do much for me either LOL"

Maybe he was just inexperienced at fanny packing, I bet if you found a more experienced fanny packer, you would get so much more out of it.

Now I am sure your e-mail box is going to be flooded with guys think they are expert fanny packers.
 Wildman46
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:12:51 PM
To all the posters that keep saying the Op isn't shallow.... If dumping a guy over a "fanny pack" isn't shallow then what the hell is?. Calling the Op shallow is really being kind. I could think of a few other words that fit much better, But I would get sent off to banned camp by the keeper on my conscience Trapper.

Also the Op kept insulting the guy about the "fanny pack" she now comes in and says that was done in fun... NO IT WAS NOT. The Op was offended by the "fanny pack" so any insults directed at this guy was NOT in fun but intended to show her displeasure.

With all due respect,The Op was acting like an overly pretentious bore, I doubt she is not that way all the time, But on that date she was. It's her right to not date this guy for whatever reason she sees fit. But rubbing salt in his wound by insulting him all night was going way over the top. I would take a woman wearing a fanny pack anyday and twice on sundays before I am caught dead with a woman who thinks way too highly of herself.
 Wildman46
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:54:31 PM
"Wildman...such strong opinions...hmmm what have you been through? I hear you though. fair enough."

Nothing personal Op, After reading my post again may be I am being abit harsh. My intent is not to offend you but to show my displeasure at how you acted on that date( sort of the same way you kept insulting that poor guy to show your displeasue).

You're a very attractive woman Op, So it's so much easier for you to toss guys aside for any little reason. Look you already have another date lined up for tonight. I look forward to your new thread tomorrow on why he didn't measure up to your lofty standards.

"The Op was acting like an overly pretentious bore, I doubt she is that way all the time,But on that date she was"

That's how my statement should have read by the way Op..... NOT " I doubt she is NOT that way all the time" I have no idea how that NOT got in there.
 be thankful
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 1:28:56 PM
the only thing worse than a fanny pack...is the dreaded rainbow afro!...well maybe they are the same?
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 2:04:16 PM

The best thing about this thread is that I have fanny packs AND bright red canvas sneakers! And I love them. I ain't giving them up for any man either. C'mon people, name some other hideous accessories that you wouldn't be caught dead with. I bet I have them and love them. I love retro, btw, and saw plenty of fanny packs and Converse sneakers at the music fest I went to last weekend. The guys and girls that had them were HOT.

Oh yah, and I like irritating emoticons too
 76fly
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/2/2008 3:14:45 PM
I'm with you, shallow or not. If you can't dress yourself up any more that that, well, you may not get alot of second dates. A fanny pack is on par with sandals with white socks. Not garb for a first date. If the person is that out of touch with fashion, and so rigid as to be unaccomodating, moving on becomes a good bet. That's not to mention what's IN the fanny pack. What could be THAT important to have on one's person at all times that could not be carried in a pocket or small/discreet belt holster? (or that has to be CONCEALED on one's person, read between the lines on this one)
 geeleebee
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/2/2008 5:05:32 PM
Shallow: yep.
Rude to make continued comments about the fanny pack: yep.

A fanny pack (or red sneakers) can be phased out--rudeness often goes to the bone.
 CLASSIELAD777
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 10:08:27 PM
Duh!!!!! I haven't time to read all the replys... But I suspect that "FANNY PACK" might have contained more than MONEY!!!!! The bluge in my shirt pocket or in my pants pocket is not because I am glad to see you!!!! He might just doesn't think about it... I never do... I just know its there if needed.... Yes I tell the ladies if they ask "YES I AM!!!!" So maybe second thoughts are in order for you all.... Bob
 Ignoble
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2008 7:52:33 PM
RE: First post.

He seriously didn't appreciate that joke? Cause it was pretty funny hun. Sitcom worthy. Is he slow? Hmmm weird.

Although this has to be said. It's not the clothing that matters.... it's what's UNDER the clothing that matters. ^_^
 UgaGuy78
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/3/2008 7:58:04 PM
Hulk Hogan wears a fanny pack everywhere he goes....I dunno.
 rebel777
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/3/2008 8:10:49 PM
I once had a fanny pack.. ...once ..my roomate and I were going out to the beach,I went to put it on,he saw that and was like dude.. ..then explained it to me... yup in the garbage it went.I do not think the OP was shallow,she has every right to not want to be with someone she doesn't feel comfortable with..doesn't matter if they got along well on the phone,its when you meet the person...first impressions always matter.
 rebel777
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/3/2008 10:04:13 PM
Maybe he had a whole bunch of condoms in there...ya know,you have to be ready and safe...
 FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/3/2008 10:16:04 PM

I mean would you date someone with a Captain Hook mustache and Fourth of July pants?

Personally, I find Cap'n Hook and his stache dayum SEX-AY! But then I do dress up like a pirate for several weeks a couple times a year.

If the only reason you weren't attracted to this man, who up till this point had "passed the screening process", was due to his fanny pack maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities. As another poster said, it would be equivalent to you being dumped for your purse. I can just imagine your post if THAT had happened.
 rider6400
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2008 6:11:52 AM
yup, you're shallow.
 justinakrfc
Msg: 76
Posted: 8/4/2008 2:38:57 PM
Its never cool to wear a fanny pack. I'm sorry, but that is what pockets are for.

No, you aren't shallow, come on, it's a date, people have to know better.
 fiestywmn2
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2008 5:48:24 PM
This thread has reminded me of a time when I was a young girl and had a huge crush on an older guy. I dreamt for years of how lucky I would be if I were his girlfriend but he never noticed me. Then one day, a few years later, I saw him walking through the mall. He had a fanny pack on! I thought to myself, oh my, what were you thinking? I really dodged a bullet there!!!
 FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 78
Posted: 8/4/2008 10:19:29 PM

God help you if your next date is a Scotsman...and comes in formal traditional dress...you would faint!!!!

Kilt & sporran YUMMY!
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2008 6:37:52 PM
Lol you are so funny! U sound just like me! I would of said the same thing. I think a person needs to take pride in their appearance and the fanny pack is part of your appearance. People that saw u out with him I'm sure made some comments. Who wants to be the butt of a joke. I have done that over junker cars! A guy I started dating I broke up with because he wore dress pants and a polo shirt with old generic k mart athletic shoes. Come on generic? lol and u don't wear athletic shoes when u are dressed up and goin to a nice place for dinner. It bothered me so much I dumped him and drove and hour and a half back home cause I felt he had no sense of self respect and it would reflect on me. I also broke up with another guy for wearing 8 year old athletic shoes that were green from cutting the yard for 8 years. He picked me up and we were going bar hopping. I think u have to have some fashion sense.
 A_s_s_hole
Msg: 80
Posted: 8/9/2008 3:39:26 PM
Maybe he had accessories for packin' fanny in his fanny pack. You know, some ky, condumbs, disco biscuits and a bottle of Zima.
 Seas_the_Day
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/9/2008 6:02:47 PM
I'm wondering what was in his fanny pack that was so important he couldn't carry in a wallet? hmmmmm

OP.. you did the right thing.. he's not your type.. he wouldn't be mine either.
 Forbidden12
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/9/2008 8:06:36 PM
I think most of us seem to agree that the “fanny pack” is definitely out and I am sure it didn’t help that you were going to a trendy restaurant for the evening BUT to continue to make remarks all evening was a bit rude IMO.

I am sure it has happened too many of us here; go on a date with someone that has a very different style then your own (some being more stylish then others) but I would never insult someone for it.

You never said how the rest of his attire was – Was it all bad or was it just the fanny pack that was the issue?
 FrozenFishsticks
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 12:52:49 AM
I take my fanny with me everywhere I go. Even though it is cracked,old and smelly, I take my fanny with me. It follows me everhwhere. Pray tell, other than the chair what was the man suppose to sit on? Most people sit on their fannies and drag their ass around town. If you find a man without a fanny then he's the one for you-- good luck hunting the fannyless man.
 veloise
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 8:37:17 AM

I think it's an incredibly shallow and could be regretable to judge and reject someone on something as silly as a piece of clothing or an accessory.

Such as sunglasses that fit over Rx glasses? Or crew socks worn with casual clothing on a casual date? Or "dirty" jeans worn on a wood chip collection/yard work?

Good thing some folks release their inner shallowness early on.

"I don't like your sunglasses."
I don't like you. Good-bye.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >