Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quazi 100
Msg: 146
view profile
History
He brought his Fanny with him...Page 5 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)

I didn't realize that this post was still alive and kicking... but what the heck. Might as well for old time sake.

I guess the level of scrutiny we use when looking for a mate is relative. Nothing wrong with the women who called me shallow. All the more men for you to choose from once we superficial women have weeded out those we deem as unacceptable. Joking.

Really, you'll never hear me complain about there not being enough good men out there. Plenty of good men. I just have to find the one who best suits me.

And as to the suggestion that my shallowness is the reason that I'm still on this website/single... well the majority of those posting are single as well. What's your excuse?

Believe it or not, in all my single days, I've not looked back with regret at letting this Fanny fall by the wayside.

Sorry if this is a repeat, I'm not reading all 15 pages of drivel....

OP did you ever consider that there might be a specific reason for the fanny? A good reason?

Like maybe a severe food allergy....that would require using an "epi-pen" immediately, if he even got a hint of the food he is allergic to?

Would it have been better for him to call the Chef out from the kitchen, and interrogate him about the ingredients of every dish on the menu, to ensure that he wouldn't eat the "wrong" thing?

If the fanny had a "red cross" on it, indicating that it was a medical fanny, would that have made any difference to you?

I really would like to hear your response to this.....
 Lianzo83
Msg: 147
He brought his Fanny with him...
Posted: 7/11/2009 9:03:57 AM
The Captain Hook mustache and Fourth of July pants sounds a bit more appealing actually! hahaha
If you're shallow, than I'm shallow too because I'd have make a joke about it too...
Cheers to being shallow! Or maybe we're not shallow-maybe we're just appreciative of fashion!
 MACKY83
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/12/2009 5:39:42 AM
[For the purposes of British readers could someone explain this 'fanny pack' you speak of?]

The Yanks call them fanny packs, if you Poms are anything like us Aussies you might call them "bumbags."
It's essentially a pouch worn like a belt.
Apparently in some parts of the states you can be segregated and shot for wearing them!
 rockondon
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 10:37:53 PM

I asked him whether he had a special permit to carry one of those after 1993. Surely they've been outlawed.
BWAHAHAHAHA....please marry me, you're awesome!
 sunseeker09
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:07:50 AM
Body:
Now that's funny about the fanny pak. A guy actually showed up for a date and he was wearing sweats and a fanny pak? The only place I wear sweats is maybe traveling cause you got to sit so long( that is if I'm by myself ,than probably only around the house).
And I get the impression that you've seen some of Seinfeld comedy caffeineaddict2009 or you like Seinfeld, I could watch repeats of Seinfeld everyday!
 evrybdy
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2009 10:59:29 AM
Actually the fanny pack would make me want to date him more! But then, I like people who don't care what other people think. I miss people who are interesting and not doing what "trends" say to do.

M
 OnTheM0ve
Msg: 152
Posted: 7/14/2009 12:43:44 PM

Okay, here's a funny one. Met a guy online. Beautiful in his pictures even if slightly balding (okay a bit more than slightly but who cares). We exchanged a few emails, moved to a phone call or two and then of course the first date. I was so excited. I don't make it to many first date (due to the weeding out process). I wanted to look my best. Eyebrows arched, hair combed, deodorant. I went to meet him and he shows up wearing.... a fanny pack. Now, I'm not as shallow as I'm going to be called but come one. A fanny pack? We went to an extremely trendy restuarant. Me with an embarrassed smile. Him with a pack named Fanny on the front of his belt. I'm not one to beat around the bush so I broached the subject. I asked him whether he had a special permit to carry one of those after 1993. Surely they've been outlawed. He didn't find the humor in my comment or the subsequent comments that I made all night. He then admitted that his bag was a bit beat up and asked would I like to help him find a new fanny pack. Maybe this coming Friday. Make it a second date. He didn't understand that the problem wasn't with this particular bag but Fanny packs worldwide.

I know it seems shallow, superficial, maybe a bit mean but, is it not alright to look for someone who takes the same pride in their appearance. I mean would you date someone with a Captain Hook mustache and Fourth of July pants?

In the end we agreed that we wouldn't be a great match despite the awesome rapport over the phone. He said that he couldn't change who he was. And then hoped I would see the light by asking me how I would feel if he wanted me to remove my "blackness". Somehow the two didn't balance out in my eyes.

Was I too shallow? Has anyone else met up with someone who had some sort of oddity that seemed small but was a total dealbreaker?

He showed up...wearing...a fanny...pack...
He showed up...wearing...a fanny...pack...

NO! you were not too shallow. WHO in the world wears a FANNY PACK to a trendy restaurant? or anywhere?!? there's a time and a place for everything. I think he was a racist prick for making the statement about removing your "blackness". Does a fanny pack represent whiteness? evidently so to this clown.... "small oddities" like that normally mean there are bigger oddities to be seen later. i.e. no sense of fashion or style (can't dress..etc) I have stories for days about this from others...
 tbuddha
Msg: 153
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:37:53 PM
It's a little wimpy looking to wear a fanny pack, but I wouldn't stop dating someone over it.
 Blakkardaberry
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 1:41:12 PM
if you gotta ask the question ROFL
of all the reasons to rule a person out this seems the most shallow of all.

I hope you remember this when your older and can appreciate the humor in it or lack of it in my case.
 Perigee123
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 6:54:56 PM
No - I don't own one.

But I do have a question.

Modern life has started to pile on the gizmos and gadgets that people use to get through the hours away from home. Men started out with wallets and keys; now we have cell phones (which you should keep away from the cards), an extra battery for the cellphone (yeah-laugh: those Instincts eat battery charge like a fat man eats cake), some headphones for the MP3 player - and, if your phone can't hack it, a separate MP3 player - sunglasses, regular glasses, and, depending on the situ, I might want to drag along a paperback or the PSP to while away some time.

Obviously, fanny packs are out...

So - where do we go from here?

We could go with an Indiana Jones style murse, but I'm not sure that doesn't have an inherent dork factor of its own.

I'm lying - of course it does.

I'm pretty sure utility belts are out of the question, and a jacket in August won't hack it. Juggling is creative, but difficult over the long term, and carrying a plastic bag from Wal-mart full of junk is likely to set off the fashion police. So - since the arbiters of fashion are here in force, clue me in: what Can I carry all my crap in, or do I have to hire a caddy to be acceptably unencumbered?
 cw35
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 9:38:20 AM
I agree with you Flame. The guy with the fanny pack probably thought she was really nice from her emails then found out what a complete as*hole she was in person. It happens all the time in the online dating world but you just have to keep looking.
 coveredinpaint
Msg: 159
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:08:59 AM
He must not have been rocking it the right way. I remember when I was a skater kid in the late 80s and fanny packs were all the rage. But only a LOSER would where them with the pouch centered over your groin. You had to have it slightly off center to one side.

But if I was hoping to hook up with a beautiful black woman in the 2000's, I probably wouldn't be wearing a fanny pack at all.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 160
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:33:49 AM
You guys are freaking hilarious.
Talking about someone being shallow because they were freaked at a fanny pack.
The fish pond is FULL of PREFERENCES that people perceive as being SHALLOW.
Everytime someone posts something about someone being too tall, too short, too
fat, too thin, too old, too young, the old shallow vs preference debate ensues.

So apparently when someone shows up too fat or too old and we don't like them...we
are entitled to our preferences.
When someone shows up with a fanny pack and obviously is living a different
lifestyle than yourself and you don't like them, you're being shallow.
Where do we draw the line in what is acceptable to accept as shallow or a preference?

Oh I get it...we come to the POF PHD PP club to get the definition.

Jaysus Kerist.

cw35
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 1:39:34 PM
Let's see. How can I put this? If someone thinks someone is perfect in every way for them but that person happens to have an article of clothing they don't like, or handbag or whatever, being arrogant & shallow is the least of your worries because it makes you a MORON. It's something that can be taken off or changed. It seems as if some of the genius comments in this thread are trying to say that fanny packs sprout from your body as some kind of permanent growth. You can't compare an article of clothing to obesity or smoking or any other physical trait. Are people really this stupid? I'm not sure why anyone cares so much. If people want to die alone and bitter or become a crazy old cat lady, let them. Meanwhile, those of us that aren't 100% perfect in every way will be in happy relationships at some point with our imperfect partners.
 privat33r
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 7:54:41 PM
I thought dressing like a git was part of the charm.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:33:53 PM

But the fanny pack is just not a piece of clothing or an accessory, it is an indication of a life style. I do not want to be part of the fanny pack life style.

The fanny pack is not necessarily an indication of a lifestyle per se.

If the fanny is used for medical reasons, or as a place for an off duty weapon, the stereotypical lifestyle may not apply.

OP may have had herself a great guy that had to give himself insulin shots on a regular schedule.

Would that fall into the "fanny pack lifestyle?"
 Quazi 100
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2009 8:44:09 AM
Ooooohhhh....bamboo....it's been sooooo long......
 Quazi 100
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2009 9:53:49 AM
Forget the spelling and the monkey.....we were talking about bamboo, weren't we?....NO?.....fanny packs?.....tsk tsk....what a waste......
 tbuddha
Msg: 168
Posted: 8/6/2009 1:14:34 PM
I think the point that needs to be made here is that fashion sense, especially with a guy, should not be used as a measure of someone's character.

Let me make this clear to the less mature folks on here. When I date, deal breakers are things related to how the person lives, what their abilities are, and their integrity. A girl could come to a date with me in a trash bag if she was an active person, could teach me things, and treated people nice.

To act as if you know a guy is wrong for you because he has on a certain fashion faux pas, is pretty damn lame when you think about it. Like one of the posters said - What if he wore it because he couldn't fit his huge wad of cash in his wallet? He wouldn't be so dorky then now would he?

Sorry guys, making fun of a fanny pack just seems pretty high school to me.
 cw35
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2009 3:17:05 PM
Greg: I don't "savvy" because you're wrong. I think differently. A jerk is a jerk. Just because it's a woman, doesn't make it any different. It's pathetic when guys use the forums as a means to score brownie points with women by defending them no matter how stupid it is. I doubt you would be so defensive with regards to a complete stranger if they were male. You're transparent as glass I'm afraid. You savvy? According to your logic it would be totally reasonable for me to laugh at someone then dump her if she were completely perfect in every way but I didn't care for the color purse she may have decided to use that day. That wouldn't just make me insane, I'd be an arrogant moron. There's more to people than what fashion accessory they may have chosen on one particular day. You can bet money if that had happened to the OP, it would be a different story.
 Monkey_brains
Msg: 170
Posted: 8/6/2009 3:25:46 PM

Did you at least pinch it....?
I prefer a man with a fanny.....a nice big brawny one to be specific...
 cw35
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2009 4:20:01 PM
I'm not sure if I'm more disturbed that you think you're a psychologist or that you've been stalking my posts. If you ARE stalking my posts then why are you acting like my comments surprise you? You have me all figured out so why not just ignore me? Why are you allowed to think what you want about people but I'm not? I have my opinion. End of story. If you don't like what I say then you'd better stuff your head up your as* because I don't plan to shut up anytime soon. Funny how you didn't bring up any of the positive comments I've made.
 jmim
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2009 2:46:34 AM
This is why people should go to dates naked.
That way they can't be judged for what they wear.

On a serious note, yes... It is very superficial.
But... Dating is all about physical attraction.
And physical attraction is... superficial.
 cw35
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2009 6:13:00 AM
Greg: It gets thrown at me whether I give it out or not and I don't really care to be honest. Water off a duck's back. If you're so sensitive to my comments (which have NOTHING to do with you) don't pay attention to them. Pretty simple solution.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >