Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
High Maintenance, In or Out?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Op, insufficient information provided.

What are they getting ready to do when they get up in the morning? Mow the lawn, go to a job interview, or go sit and watch cartoons?

~ds~
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 3
High Maintenance, In or Out?
Posted: 7/25/2008 4:35:11 PM
He can be metro (I'm all for it) ~ I'm not however.
 phule
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 5:55:17 PM
I always thought that the difference between a High Maintenance person and a Low Maintenance person had to do with how much attention had to be paid to them in order for them to operate optimally. You can have High Maintenance slobs and Low Maintenance models.

How much time a person puts into their appearance could be ego related, or fitness related, or OCD related.. who knows? Regardless of their hygiene habits, if you have to pour an inordinate amount of your time into your partner's needs and desires, that individual is High Maintenance. Of course, "inordinate" is a relative term, and it's quantification depends on the beholder of the moment. By extension, this would make the term "High Maintenance" also relative to a particular beholder. Not every Tom, Richard, and Harry think alike. Tom might absolutely hate having to get up in the morning and deal with Jane. Harry on the other hand, might love cooking her breakfast, taking her shopping, seeing shows with her, etc. To Tom, Jane might be High Maintenance for a plethora of reasons. To Harry, she might be perfect because she needs all the things he already wants to do for her.

Dick... well, at least for a time, he'd be into Jane regardless of the specifics of Tom and Harry.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:27:27 PM
^^^ "The power stuff and the eyestick thing"

Dude, I just KNEW when I looked at your profile you'd be around 20....omg....that's funny. No seriously, consider yourself lucky, man.

*Edit to add....I'm still freeking laughing....omg.

~ds~
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 10:32:38 PM
^^^ "I wonder if women ever know that men are built to like them just as they are."

They are, and they do. However, they have the control of, the ability to, the ownership of....femininity. And without that, we may as well be gay. They are all beautiful creatures....awaiting that man who recognizes and appreciates that beauty....which they have and control.

~ds~
 TheLimey
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2008 11:58:14 PM
I'll take the low (ish) maintenance, lifes too short to deal with high maintenance women. I want the gal who walks out of the bathroom to be at least reconisable as the one who walked in there....
 phule
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 7:37:10 AM
High Maintenance = they're never satisfied, no matter what you do.

I can't believe that only Sterlingheart, Janet4Ever and myself actually understand what High maintenance/Low maintenance is all about.

Let me see if I can explain this better.

A woman spends a hour getting ready. She then has to ask you and everyone around her if she looks good, about every 10 minutes for the next 4 hours. You go to a movie, but she has you getting up to get her something every 30 minutes. You go to dinner, but she has the waiter at your table maybe 6 or 8 times, because things are not just right (spot on the glass, midge on the fork, doesn't like the napkin, food is too hot, then it is too cold, "Does this have saffron in it? I just hate saffron. Can you have the chef remake this without saffron?")
This would be a High Maintenance person.

A woman spends an hour getting ready. The evening with her goes smoothly, and she is a joy to have in the room, as she is entertaining, funny, and makes everyone she encounters smile. She looks like a million bucks, and carries it as if she knows it but isn't concerned. At the movie, you know she is there from the hand squeezes, and the occasional head on your shoulder, but that it all. At dinner, even the waiter enjoys her presence. She not only looks like she enjoys the entire experience, but when she tells you so, you believe her.
This would be a Low Maintenance person.

Note, both women took the same amount of time (which for the sake of argument assumes the same steps) to get ready.

I'll put it another way.
A British MG automobile that has to have it's dual single-barrel carburetors tuned after each time you use the car, is a High Maintenance Vehicle. A Toyota Camry that you can weld the hood shut for the first 100 thousand miles is a Low Maintenance Vehicle.

Both cars can look great. You can spend hours waxing, buffing, polishing.

It is about how much Maintenance YOU have to put into someone or something... how much they demand, that decides if they High or Low. Not how much Maintenance they put into themselves.

Hobbies can and are often described as High and Low Maintenance. Hobbies don't have hygiene. Pets can and are often described in terms of High and Low Maintenance. Now, they do have different levels of hygiene, however a pet that makes you continually stroke it and cuddle it while it is scrambling to stay in your lap, would be a higher maintenance pet, than a goldfish.
 phule
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 2:21:34 PM
You must have missed the three posts in here that agree with you.
 SueCat51
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 2:59:07 PM
High maintenance can go right out the door as far as I'm concerned. I dated a fella who spent 45 minutes in the shower. While he really smelled good, I cringed when the water bill came rolling around.
 Challenge
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/2/2008 5:34:13 PM
I have no issues with a woman who is high maintenance....in fact.....I prefer it.
 Miss W
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/2/2008 5:36:13 PM
I'm one of those who considers herself "medium" maintenance. I dress appropriately for the occasion and can be ready within 1/2 hour in the morning, but sometimes like to take longer for dates and special occasions. I do comb my hair a couple of times per day and reapply lipstick when needed to avoid looking anemic. I prefer men who take care of themselves, and are clean and smell good. However, I'm not into super vain ones, that is a turn off.

When I think of high maintenance people, I think of those who live and breathe drama 24/7 and suck the life out of you. This applies to both men and women.
 daynadaze
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 8:59:17 PM
I don't care, as long as they take care of themselves and don't expect me to help them get ready. I'm low maintenance but it still takes me 30 mins to take a shower alone, I don't know why, never have figured out what people wash in 5 min. but it makes me wonder how clean they are. I'm not doing anything special, I don't come out of the bathroom all ready and dolled up, just washed and drying off. I don't do fancy hair-dos I don't do my nails or put on make up (that would take a lot longer), I just take about 30 mins. to shower. So does that make me high maintenance? LOL Lots of men would think so, especially if they are paying the water bill. I never dress up, in fact I don't own a dress or heels or even hose for that matter. If a guy is into decking himself out and he can afford it and he doesn't care if I don't do it, no problem for me, but I prefer the guy who took a shower and put on clean sweats.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 3:21:56 PM
I used to think a high maintenance woman needed
A weekly hair touch up/re styling/nails done,/waxing/tanning/expensive meals and you better have a great car.

UNTIL I packed for 3 weeks..OMG the crap I need/want.
Even my dog is high maintenance.

You have your special this and that at home and never think much of it. My coffee is "specially mixed"
Its things you could go 4-7 days without and not flip, but 3 weeks?

I dont care depending on the definition.

Just being fit can be called high maintenance ...
Not going 3 weeks with out my fitness things/ special foods?
Not happening unless the trip is about being active and moving about every day.
 Amwayman13642
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/1/2012 3:41:25 PM
How about no labels. High or low,but then again I am not to brite so pay attention to nothing I say.
 oskiesmom
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 5:39:55 PM
High maintenance is out for me. If the man is prettier and smells better than me, I'm out. Middle maintenance is more of my speed.

I like to look good, but I won't spend more than 5 or 6 minutes on my makeup; I prefer the natural look rather than looking like a totally different person with no makeup. And light perfume or body spray. There is nothing worse than smelling someone from 3 feet away or for an hour after they left your presence; it makes me wonder if they have a natural stank going on or are allergic to water and soap.
 oskiesmom
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 7:30:46 AM

I love well groomed people who smell good. I think each and every person should get up and get
well groomed in the morning and make the very best of who they are. When we are well groomed
we feel so much better about life and ourselves.

I don't think anyone wants someone who smells bad or doesn't care about their appearance. Grooming is a form of self-love and self respect. You're right; it makes us feel better about ourselves which is never a bad thing.

High maintenance people are those who take it to extremes and sometimes we discover that these folks have inner issues they have yet to deal with. Of course there are those who are impeccably groomed and choose that to attract jobs or potential mates which "requires" that level of appearance; that scenario is not high maintenance, IMO, it's a lifestyle choice. I get frustrated with people who choose to date or marry a high maintenance person and then complain about them; reminds me of "buyer's remorse."
 DragonBits
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/2/2012 9:00:51 AM
95% of these posts show people have no idea what a high maintenace person is really like.

And it's not about how long someone uses the bathroom.
 oskiesmom
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 9:59:27 AM

95% of these posts show people have no idea what a high maintenace person is really like.

Yes, there is THAT kind of high maintenance, too. My nephew's wife is like that; love her to death, but I don't know how he puts up with her demands, her whining, her criticism, and her neediness. He is always trying to keep her happy and content. It seems like he puts out all the effort and she puts forth none.

It's not only about receiving; it's also about giving and treating people the way you want to be treated. If you're not willing to give the same to someone, don't expect if from another. But of course, that is not how all people's minds work.

One thing I have never understood is the need to make a person chase after you. I don't read these articles about how to get a man to like you or "making him earn you". It's a two-way street. The last person I dated was freaked out when we went to dinner and I picked up the tab; it was an LDR, so it was important to me that we split the costs down the middle. When he wanted to go to the Keys, I picked up the room and he picked up the food. He said that in all of his years of dating, he's never had a girl open her wallet for trips to Vegas or dinner or anything.
 webmdtech
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 3:05:49 PM
I like "girly" girls, i think its cute when it takes them an hour to pick an outfit, or that they have to shave their legs every day and it takes them forever, all the tanning, shopping, make up, cute shoes, cute hats. All that stuff is adorable. Maybe its "opposites attract" kind of a thing. Personally i am very low maintenance - i never tanned, i don't own a lot of clothes, i hate shaving and i am heavily tattooed.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >