Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Childless men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sharperchick
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Childless menPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
"Selfish?"

"Guilt?"

Why? All the admonitions about being fruitful and multiplying were at a time when we didn't have millions of hungry and neglected children all over the world.

I'm with the poster who says there are a bunch of boys (most likely in the OP's own town or county) who really, really need a good older male to talk to and do stuff with...

Check out being a Big Brother.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 77
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:23:09 PM
Just as selfish to have children. We choose what we choose because that is what we really love. I really loved raising my children.. Still do it at my age but they are not human ones..
I show Persian cats and breed one litter a year to keep me in the show ring.. Up every 2 hours for the first 3 weeks to feed the babies to make sure they are getting enough..

thecatsmeoww
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:39:01 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, but if you want children, OP, why don't you find a woman who does, too? You're not too old to father them at 46, you know?
 daffie
Msg: 79
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 6:08:02 PM
...if this really tears at you it's not too late to father a child...

...in the meantime why don't you enquire about helping any one of the millions of homeless, parentless, disadvantaged children of this wonderful world?...
 Miss W
Msg: 80
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:28:49 PM
^^^What she said. There are way too many children in the world who were the product of lackadaisical, cultural and other circumstances...and we are obscenely overpopulated. Biological does not always make a family.
 whzcheatinwho
Msg: 81
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:39:13 PM
Biology is just biology... it doesn't make you a father, it makes you a sperm donor. It's what's in your HEART that makes you a FATHER.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:40:14 PM

Biological does not always make a family.

Holy carp Miss M! My ex is a living proof of that! I would laugh except it is really sad.

OP? We cannot define ourselves because we have had children or we have not. We are what we are. I was just sitting here thinking tonite that I have spent 22 years of my life caring for my children and still keep caring for them. Yet? When they have plans, I sit here alone if not for a date. The road of raising has been long, tough, yet loving and rewarding. Not sure what to tell you really. Except please, do not define yourself by having kids or not.
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 83
Childless men
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:46:35 PM
On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

For you, Moonchild. The kids not being around means you did your job properly.
 DR_RUTHLESS
Msg: 84
Childless men
Posted: 1/6/2010 12:56:41 AM
want mine?
a lot of women don't want the luggage

The challenges will put you in therapy and by the time they will accept some one in your life you would be too old and near a grandfather

... would you prefer this?

Mine eat like horses, never do dishes or laundry, party and spend like drunken sailors, crash cars learning with exorbitant insurance premiums and tuition fees, they can brave talking back when frustrated or if you deny them liberties, and if you are not sharp and stable enough with the patience of Jobe, they can put you in therapy. please take them, I will pay you! careful what you pray for, I am having second doubts and may post them on Buy and Sell
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 85
Childless men
Posted: 1/6/2010 1:19:05 AM
Dr Ruthless, you don't know horror until you live with a 15-year-old girl.
She hung up twice in my ear today. I don't think she appreciates my parenting skills at the moment..
OP, the good doc has a point. All that money you've saved, all that time you spend devoting yourself to kids and there are no guarantees they'll want to speak to you once they reach adulthood.
One more point - remember the Phillip Larkin poem.It's inevitable we fvck up our kids to some extent. This way, you can always remain blameless.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 86
Childless men
Posted: 1/6/2010 2:52:47 AM

The challenges will put you in therapy and by the time they will accept some one in your life you would be too old and near a grandfather

In the case of death of their father certainly understandable. If one is sensitive one might well choose to wait until your children are out on their own.. Besides you avoid a whole lot of problems that could arise by trying to mesh two families..

thecatsmeoww
 daffie
Msg: 87
Childless men
Posted: 1/6/2010 7:03:50 AM
...i always encouraged my "little darling" to bring all his friends home, so i wouldn't have to worry about him being on the streets...
...i thought i was doing a mavellous parenting job until i discovered the bong...

...at least i knew where he was...lol...
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 88
Childless men
Posted: 1/6/2010 9:08:31 AM

i always encouraged my "little darling" to bring all his friends home, so i wouldn't have to worry about him being on the streets...
...i thought i was doing a mavellous parenting job until i discovered the bong...
.at least i knew where he was...lol.

Like you I always encouraged my darlings to bring their friends home.. But with all the giggling and lauging that was going on I had to resort to staying out for hours in the barn..

thecatsmeoww
 WasabiGal
Msg: 89
Childless men
Posted: 1/6/2010 10:38:01 AM
OP, if you have to stop with the "regrets" and "what-ifs". It's normal for people at mid-life to examine their lives. But you can't waste time bellyachin' about the past. And to think that you'd be happy and content today if only your ex-gf hadn't had an abortion is rather misguided.

So, you can't change the past, but what about your future? You have had the realization that you want to contribute to a child's life. There are lots of opportunities to do so, as have been mentioned. And there are lots of single mothers looking for dating partners and organizations looking for volunteers

and finally...you need to value what you do have in your life
 jeep1956
Msg: 90
OP, you are having a mid life crisis
Posted: 1/6/2010 4:20:43 PM
Most guys want a sports car when they hit your age and you want a kid??

Are you CRAZY?

Anyone who has a kid in their 40's will likely be on social security when the kid graduates from high school.

Having grown up with NO father, having a kid at a late age is not fair to the kid.

And yo will be too old to be of use to the kid as far as teaching him lessions of life. All you are good for is being a wallet.
 TheNewDeal
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/6/2010 8:26:24 PM
I don't have any kids and never wanted any. I realize I don't have the patience to raise them. I am not a nurturer, although I'm an instructor, a trainer, a mentor, a guide. I just don't NURTURE.

I will point to the answers all day, but I don't care if people follow the directions and succeed. It's up to them.

I got the sports car and it's enough of a burden. Kids? I'm not that crazy.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/7/2010 2:31:35 AM

I am not a nurturer, although I'm an instructor, a trainer, a mentor, a guide. I just don't NURTURE.

By the description above I do see you as being someone that does nurture. You just a different version of it..

thecatsmeoww
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/7/2010 8:39:16 AM
Alas, to be an instructor, a trainer, a mentor, a guide with the added features of caring and love makes one a nurturer!

Many of us may, in this little quest of information, forget what we were like when we were children! I can recall my parents on many occasions not being too pleased with what I had done, and I can also remember the feelings when my own kids did similar things, perhaps it is our latent childhood memeories that many call upon to not want children. And in the same context, it is the love and caring that we want to administer to those that we didn't have some reason or another.

If we as adults still feel the need to nurture, there are many volunteering things that can be done, Big Brother, Boy Scouts, YMCA leader for groups of kids, then there are the other aspects as described by rearing and tending to animals, the one thing the animals do not do is talk back!! Oh they have their way of showing displeasure, but not quite as abrupt as a child.

If I could have another I think I would like to skip the ages of 13 -17 and 22-30 for hands on being a parent, those were the tough years, but I have to admit I learned the same amount as they did, and for that I am grateful.

It is kind of ironical, listening to my children conplain about what their kids are doing, how they deal with it and remember what we as parents did for them. The similarities are phenominal, so if you did things the right way, you will be imprinted upon your grandchilds memory, it may be as a mean ole' Ogre, but they will love you just the same or even more.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 94
Childless men
Posted: 1/7/2010 9:48:41 AM

Amazing how many women think that the end purpose to any relationship is kids. It is a sign, for me it is the exit sign out.

That is an overly broad assumption. (And a bunch of crap!)

Biology is just biology... it doesn't make you a father, it makes you a sperm donor. It's what's in your HEART that makes you a FATHER.

milt_n_bradley
Msg: 95
Childless men
Posted: 1/7/2010 12:50:58 PM
OP...go have a kid.
That's one that almost any male can do at almost any age.
Be prepared for the consequences of your actions.
 XBarbarian
Msg: 96
Childless men
Posted: 1/9/2010 8:24:19 AM
I too, 47, never had a child. Married twice, again, childless.

Honestly, never really wanted one, although lately, have re considered this. And odd piece psychologically is that I am the last Turner for 2 generations, so the name of this branch, does die with me. Never really cared that much, but lately, it has crossed the mind.

I am pretty good about Acceptance though, and generally able to stay mindful that My Life is as I create it, and this is what I have created, if I want something else, I need to work in a new direction.
 karma1160
Msg: 97
Childless men
Posted: 1/9/2010 5:53:31 PM
Have you ever thought of adopting a child that is in the system?
In Minneapolis alone we have 400-500 children alone, without families waiting for someone to want them.
Maybe start by volunteering for a shelter or child refuge, this will give you a better idea if that is what you truly want.
I am sorry that you are feeling the loss of what could have been, but the best way to counteract this is by making plan B.
 mynameispaul
Msg: 98
Childless men
Posted: 1/10/2010 1:09:40 PM
Do you have any nieces or nephews?
 valenciacityx
Msg: 99
Childless men
Posted: 1/10/2010 2:18:31 PM
[qoute] Amazing how many women think that the end purpose to any relationship is kids. It is a sign, for me it is the exit sign out.

That is an overly broad assumption. (And a bunch of crap!)

Nope its not an overly broad assumption. Its an absolute. If we were dating, and you wanted kids, we would no longer be dating. Its the way it is. I had it snipped when I was 18. I aint having kids. If they are important to you, wonderful; move along. If you have them and they are still at home, wonderful; move along. If you had them and they are on their own, well then lets see where it goes from there.

Its the same as smoking for me. If you smoke, its an instant no-go. Thanks for playing. Go fish.
 fullmoondancer
Msg: 100
Childless men
Posted: 1/10/2010 4:56:38 PM
lt's not too late for you to have a family..A friend of mine who is 50 had a one nighter and the woman became pregnant. He now has a lovely one year old daughter..He helps the mother and has become a better person for it..He was a hard man very down on himself for being an alcoholic and treating people bad in the past. He has stopped drinking and started to forgive himself..lm not saying go out and get someone pregnant just accept that you can still be a dad,,
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Childless men