Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 43
Who is that person in the mirror?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I hope I didn't sound too 'goody two-shoes' ... I look in the mirror and realize one thing I've learnt is that Life (the process) is a continual 'giving up' of things and people. Some we give up willingly, some we renounce, and some are taken from us even tho' we want them to stay. We. Have. No. Say. Another 'Lesson Learnt' is that Life. Is. Random. People spend excessive amounts of time trying to 'understand' or 'comprehend' the 'WHY' about 'WHY did THAT happen to ME?' or 'WHY isn't MY life BETTER?' or 'WHY didn't THAT happen to THEM?' ... the answer's always the same: Because. No mystery. One of Life's lessons for us is that one about 'Acceptance'. Took me a long time to master that chapter.

The chapter I'm still arguing with is the one about Physical Frailty. The Knee That Locks, the Eyes That Blur, the Ear That Hears Not, the Back That Fails ... there's a laundry list of starters. All of 'em will, I know, get progressively less good (note I didn't say 'worse'). As long as I can play the game in public so I don't look like 'prey', it's all good. These, tho', are things I USED to worry about - no longer. I've accepted they happen (maybe in a different order and degree) to everyone sooner or later. Doesn't mean I like it, it just means I've accepted it and no longer fight it. Now I look for 'workarounds'.

There's another chapter, 'Forgetting'. Some things that are in that one have been forgotten so completely I'll never dredge 'em up again in this lifetime; others are shadowy blurs of their former selves, and others still haven't begun to fade. Over time, tho', all will. Following this chapter is one known as 'Things I Wish I Hadn't Done', and that's pretty damned full by now.

My favorite chapter is the one called 'Bright Shinies', which is where I keep my 'Magpie Moments' ... these are all the things that make up the bright highlights and best memories of events I've been lucky enough to have happen to me or to be part of while I'm here. This chapter is where all the 'Things I'll Never Forget' are stored ...

Put the chapters together in any order and, if I pay attention when reading the book, the 'Pattern That Connects' the events in My Life Since Birth, whether good, bad, or neutral, are displayed in high relief. It's up to me to be able to read this book and learn from it ... my footsteps along the trail become easy to see in hindsight - interpreting the meaning of the things that happened on the path is always the harder of the lessons to be learnt ...

Everything listed here, and more, is what looks back at me from the mirror ... and it's a good feeling.
 AngelTango
Msg: 44
Who is that person in the mirror?
Posted: 2/2/2012 8:07:37 AM
Thank you for posting this. It does shed some reflection on how we view ourselves!
 therdtymesachrm
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:29:08 PM
Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder who that person is? Where did she come from, where is she going and how on earth did I get where I am now. That I am eternally grateful every single time someone thinks my 16 year old granddaughter is my child. That I make a new best friend when people are shocked when I say I am 55 and they say I thought you were in your early 40's. Then I think how silly I am... I don't want to ever be old and crotchety. I don't want to be grouchy and not want to listen to loud music anymore. I want to always drive fast, be silly and act like a kid. I mentioned in another post that I still refer to myself as a girl... But those days when I look in the mirror and see a new wrinkle or less shine in my skin, that my joints ache and I realize that as much as I try to fight it, father time will eventually win, well those days just s*ck. I try to live by the motto" I may get older but I will never BE old. " It's a mindset, maybe an illusion. But you have to work with what you have, you have to still love you no matter what, you have to be the best "you" that you can be. I'm with Peter Pan..I'm never growing up!!
 summer333
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/2/2012 7:30:47 PM
What a sad but nice story. I'm glad she's once again with her true love.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:36:41 PM
Sounds like true love..they had a beautiful gift they shared with each other..thanks for sharing..
 amlookingup
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/3/2012 9:30:05 AM
I never ask were the years went..Because i know i was there.. I hate the young and old thing...Alot of people have trouble with age...Why.. you can't stop it just take care of yourself & be good to yourself...And when you look in the mirror smile!
 twilitesprite
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/9/2012 8:03:55 AM
I look better at 50ish than I did in my 30s. I color my hair to cover the grays. I have been going on dates with younger men and it feels good.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >