Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Wine...........      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Grumpy Barbie
Msg: 1
Wine...........Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Hey Folks.

I was just wondering. Does everyone really like wine as much as they say they do? Every first date includes it, why? Do we say we would like to have some wine together because of a social status thing? I, I hate wine. I've tried all kinds, old, new, really old, boxed, flash frozen, foot stomped, toe jammed, fresh off the vine, fresh off the gruond, with cheese, with chips, with wings, with steak........
Can you imagine?! People think I'm weird! So, does that make me "uncool" if I don't drink wine with the "click"? Is it a social status thing? Is it a first date thing? What's the deal with this unspoken rule for the love of wine?
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 8/2/2008 7:04:57 AM
I for one love wine. Any wine. I'll drink cheap wine from screw-top bottles.

But I don't like beer. I learned to drink it socially so if I'm out with friends and everybody else wants to order a pitcher I can join in.
 RSwindol
Msg: 3
Wine...........
Posted: 8/2/2008 2:05:08 PM
I much prefer red wine over white. And yes...it is an aquired taste.
 junipermoon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 8/2/2008 2:13:39 PM
you don't have to like it. but sometime, you might try a bit of white wine with sparkling water or ginger ale. you might like that a bit more. it's called a spritzer and tastes quite mild. you can add a few strawberries as well.

maywine consists of a rhine wine steeped overnight with an herb called 'sweet woodruff.' then you mix that with a splash of champagne, soda water and white grape juice. i generally add some strawberries and violet leaves. pour it over ice. it has a pleasant, mild vanilla flavor.

don't feel compelled to drink something you don't like, but you can experience wine in a variety of ways that can broaden your tastes.
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:31:25 AM
Mmmmm.... meade....

You know it's easy to make ersatz mead. Take a liter of really cheap white wine and pour it into a big pot. Add a pound of honey. Cook it over low heat until a really ugly froth forms on the top. Skim off the froth and throw it away. The resulting brew will fit back in the original bottle, since the volume of the froth is equal to the volume of the honey.

Cork it and let it sit undisturbed for at least two weeks. The longer you let it sit the stronger it gets.

And it can pack quite a whallop.
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:38:51 AM

Personally, I don't like beer or coffee. You should see the looks I get for that!

And how! You'd think you'd just told people you hate puppies or something!

I learned to drink beer socially (finding I prefer the cheap beer to the "better" beers, go figure) because I wanted to enjoy the "share a pitcher of beer" experience with friends. But I can not stomach coffee in any way, shape, or form.

Though one time when I was hiking in Korea, I got separated from my group. I quickly went through the two liters of water I had brought and finally asked a passing Korean for water. (I didn't speak much Korean but could manage "Mul?" with a pathetic look on my face.) The Korean handed me a clear plastic bottle half-full of what looked like diluted tea. I was so thirsty didn't even care that a stranger's mouth had been on it (and living in Korea lowers your standards about that sort of thing anyway). I chugged it and about three glugs into my drink the taste hit me. It was diluted cold coffee. I drank it anyway, the first time I'd actually drunk any kind of coffee since I'd tried to learn to like it as a child. It was nasty but I was so dehydrated I'd have chug-a-lugged a squid, liver, and lima-bean smoothie just to get some fluid into me.
 Grumpy Barbie
Msg: 7
Wine...........
Posted: 8/3/2008 10:52:53 AM
I'm going to try all the suggestions and see if I can't find some kind of "like" for this stuff. Not because I feel some kind of need to fit in, I couldn't fit in if I tried! But I'd really like to know what all the hot fuss is about. I'm really looking forward to trying the meade.............HEADS UP. If a post comes in, around say, oh 3:00 am-ish and it doesn't make sence, I've had the meade!
But what's with the heavey head that wine gives you in the morning. I can certainly do wtihout that as well. Does meade do the same, I'd imagine so. ON that, if you take two evening primrose pills before you hit the sack, your over hang is reduced to almost nothing, I swear it!!!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 9/2/2008 11:06:27 AM
I much prefer red over white wine.
 H2OLuvCoco
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:14:19 PM
Why "try" to like something that you don't like?
 A.star
Msg: 10
Wine...........
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:35:06 PM
Wine is fermented ass and red wine is the devil's vomit.
 A.star
Msg: 11
Wine...........
Posted: 9/3/2008 2:37:25 PM

Can you imagine?! People think I'm weird! So, does that make me "uncool" if I don't drink wine with the "click"? Is it a social status thing? Is it a first date thing? What's the deal with this unspoken rule for the love of wine?

Break the "rule" and tell all the snobby wine drinkers to eff the freak off.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Wine...........
Posted: 9/5/2008 11:40:16 PM
Actually, I prefer a chilled dry white wine to the reds, but if white isn't available I prefer burgundy, properly served at room temperature, of course.

I hardly ever turn down beer. Porter is my favorite; cool, not cold.

Don't care for Budweiser, or any other rice beer.

Gin and tonic in the summer if it's mixed drinks, with a twist of lime; Rum and cola in the fall/winter. Vin Chaud is another cold-weather favorite.

Plain tonic water with a lime twist and a swizzle stick if I'm the designated driver.

I've slugged down a few Boilermakers in my time. Not something to do in sophisticated company, but a good way to get hammered fast.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Wine...........