Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ontario_woman
Msg: 172
view profile
History
percentage lying about agePage 12 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I've had my share of men lying about their ages along with other things.

I wish that people would just be honest on their profiles. The truth is going to come out anyways and lying about something as basic as age doesn't bode well for a future together.

Personally, I'm completely honest about everything on my profile including my age. I have limited time available for dating and don't want to waste it on someone who will find my unattractive or has an issue with my age.
 Paderic
Msg: 173
percentage lying about age
Posted: 3/26/2012 6:31:44 AM
I've never dated a woman I met online long enough to determine if they lied about their age. I have, however, found that most stretch the truth when they say they are in shape and lead an active life. Many of the women I have met also posted very old or misleading pictures of themselves.

One woman I met said she was a nonsmoker, but when I heard her voice I knew instantly that she was a lifelong smoker. Turned out she had "quit" about a month prior to that.

Lying is definitely not restricted to either gender.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 174
Posted: 3/26/2012 5:28:34 PM
The age range of women I typically date runs from the mid forties into the early fifties. When I review profiles in any dating site within that age range I find about 80% of the women whose profiles I review and possibly contact are lying about their ages by 4 to 8 years. Of course that does it for me. If they lie about their age they are capable of lying about anything. Sadly, I encounter women I already know lying about their ages which seriously erodes my opinions of them.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 175
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:08:26 PM
I am sure the following happens a lot:

Person 'A' says he is 35 years old and doesn't have kids. Person 'B' says she is 26 years old. Person 'A' reveals on the date that he must come clean that he is 40 years old and has three kids. Here he is thinking to himself he is on a date with a woman 14 years his junior. Person 'B' giggles and reveals she is 33 years old and shatters person 'A' because now his date is only seven years younger than he originally thought - not the chunk of fourteen years he was hoping for. Both continue with the date and walk away from the experience with a sour taste in their mouths and never look back.
 fall-blossom
Msg: 176
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:22:45 PM

The reality is that if a woman is attracted to the man, she will overlook things
that she claimed would be a deal breaker! Seen it happen a million times! lol

I agree to a point. I met a very attractive man last week. His profile said he was 28, had no kids, was European, and was in a relationship for over one year. As I gazed at his face it occurred to me that he looked around 36 years old (his profile images were web cam images and not very detailed).

It turned out my date was 39 years old, had two young children, was a different ethnicity, and had a 12 year marriage. One lie I could have handled (hey, I hate to admit I have a weakness for fit handsome guys like most women do), but four was too much. I lost interest...
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 177
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:34:17 PM
I had a guy msg me last week. His profile stated he was 20 and a lawyer. I questioned him on it, then he said he was 40 - ish. I questioned him again, he said he was 50 - ish.

I declined his suggestion to meet given the fact he cannot get his age straight. He replied with a nasty letter saying *I* was the one not being straight ( on what, I don't know )

Block and delete.

Simple.
 damsel19
Msg: 178
Posted: 3/28/2012 6:09:49 PM
The rock man

We all do it for sure, one way or another . Women always have due to the prejudice and the youth oriented society that we live in but men seem to do it too now. at lease online. . Used to be a "gentleman never asked a lady's age."
 damsel19
Msg: 179
Posted: 3/28/2012 6:14:00 PM
Irish eyes

Maybe he didnt have his glasses on and hit the wrong number button on the keyboard because "20 and a lawyer" is just not feasible. But to lie again after you quizzed him I agree is a bit off. . If you met he would look around that age I am sure. Was he targetting the much younger woman? I bet.

Know a guy who changed his age from 60 to 56 on the one profile and it hasnt made much difference to his success I am sure. It is no big deal really, if that is all they lie about.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 180
Posted: 3/28/2012 6:23:41 PM

One lie I could have handled (hey, I hate to admit I have a weakness for fit handsome guys like most women do),

For all of those who ask the question "Why do people lie about their age" (or anything else), there is your answer.

That_girl*
Msg: 181
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:53:08 AM
@ Irish Eyez

thats funny ive talked to older guys who played that number game 1 minute thier 30 ish what is an ish anyways on the end of a number what does it mean??

an the next when you ask agian thier in thier early 40's later on you find out its late 50's early 60's..

its like every month it's a new age for some or each year they start shaving years off magically becoming younger..also the ones who play the number game can never come up with recent pics or claim not to have any but they always can say i promise you wont be dissapointed if you just meet me mmm hmm how funny...
 hen
Msg: 182
Posted: 3/29/2012 8:51:48 PM
It happen a lot to me. I younger guy would email me confessing he is my age or older. Then go on bagging, making a fool out of them self how young he look. I am not sure why these dumb people waste my time. I also have met many guys who say they are athletic while they are morbidly obese and then when they meet me they try to convince me its holiday fat. I sometime feel like this idiot exist to convince me that I should give up on finding a proper life partner.
 damsel19
Msg: 183
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:19:47 PM
LJB89178

You are right. Women in particular are not viewed as desirable or attractive over a certain age whereas men are, but again less so these days I think. The tables are turning as women are more financially independent, look better and can attract younger men who dont want a family, necessarily.
You are going out with guys 20 years younger wow! I had that opportunity with a fit and handsome guy who obviously does not want more children. But I felt he was just too immature and we had little in common. I would be comparing myself to him and feeling inferior I think. Okay the sex may be great but we are not in bed 24/7. However horses for courses and after all we are not looking to marry these guys.
 damsel19
Msg: 184
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:25:41 PM
hen

Yes the "athletic and fit" guy, with the gut!!! Why not at least say a few extra pounds?? Yes "holiday fat" and the "I am losing it, going to the gym" etc. . It is all over when you meet, so who are they kidding?? They also look 15 years younger in their mirrors than ours. I dont think you will find Mr Hot on a dating site and you should leave your options open. I would webcam before meeting and get them to stand up and turn around. Then see if they want to meet up!!!
 fall-blossom
Msg: 185
Posted: 3/30/2012 7:23:30 AM
You are going out with guys 20 years younger wow! I had that opportunity with a fit and handsome guy who obviously does not want more children. But I felt he was just too immature and we had little in common.

One forumite stated that people who date others much younger (20+ years) than themselves have psychological problems. I wonder if this holds any merit?

Most older women on POF get hit on by much younger men. It is commonplace.
 Blueyes4youbabe
Msg: 186
Posted: 3/30/2012 1:48:44 PM
I have had the same experience with women. I believe it is a small percentage. However if you come across this two or three times in a row I see how you may think it is happening in a larger percentage. Its a roll of the dice baby.
 lacalli
Msg: 187
Posted: 3/30/2012 2:20:24 PM
I don't know, it wasn't an issue with me but I'll turn 50 in two months and my mother keeps ragging on me about it. She says she can't believe her kids are almost senior citizens, she thinks it's hilarious. I tell her at least I'm not as old as she is. I inherited her oily skin luckily, she's always looked 10-15 years younger and nobody believes she's in her 70's.
I want to date men my own age so there's no point lying about my age. Where I live the men date women their age so it's not a problem.
 JDinMN
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2012 2:49:06 PM
Interesting topic.

I remember when I was filling out the profile stuff and the age came up. I didn't think twice about putting my birthdate in there.

But a couple of seconds later. I was like, holy crud. Am I getting that old? It was almost like being presented and made to think about something that I haven't thought about in a long time.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 189
Posted: 3/31/2012 4:07:02 PM

I don't know why someone would lie to me - I have posted looking for someone from mid-30s to mid-50s

You're not the only person on the site, that's why. You can't set your age for ONE person. :)

Additionally, I know why someone would lie. And it CAN be for their benefit, as far as short-term gains are concerned. Secondly, for the long run, they may miss out on chances altogether if they put their real age. At least they have a CHANCE if they're only a few years older than the other person thinks, and it ends up coming up.

I mean, once you're well past college age, how often does the age thing come up if you look the age you say, and it's not far off anyway, but just a psychological affect that's greater than the number? I know, it sounds like I'm advocating lying about the age... I'm just pointing out that I know WHY people would. They're not trying to lie to YOU directly, they're lying in their advertisement to get potentials -- and they have to stick to it.

If someone says they're 49, and they could pass for 47, but are really 53, they are probably optimizing their chances for a chance, where they wouldn't before. There's obviously negatives either way. They ruin things for themselves if & when they run across a gal who honestly likes guys in their early 50s just as much as mid 40s, and him wanting a relationship with her. It's a game of statistical probability I guess.
 genuinegirly10
Msg: 190
Posted: 4/1/2012 1:03:50 AM
My guess is 1 in 3 men on here over the age of 35 Lie and shave off a few years on their profile. Funny story to share regarding that, chatted with a guy for quite sometime agreed to meet, his profile said 31. I was abit nervous as he was younger than me etc... So we meet, he looks like pictures and his age, We have great convo, personalities clicked, later in the evening I guess he was feeling pretty comfortable with me and chatty at a local pub. He then decides to share he is actually 38 and I was abit stunned he then went on in great detail where he is so phobic of getting older that even his family when he has introduced a girl to them lie for him! I then ask ok...so every year what happens on your birthday?! He says friends dont usually ask his exact year so he has been using 31 for atleast a few years in his head atleast! HAHA I found it quite funny but yes the part that stuck out in my mind was the dishonesty and nope I didnt want to go out again for that reason.
A few other guys I have met waited to tell me they were older than their age listed on here til we met. ALL use same lame excuse they cant change age once profile is created?! omg delete it make a new one thats accurate is my reply lol I did ask one guy why he lied on here (he was 44 claiming to be 38) he replied "I don't look my age and you like alot of women have 40 and under in your profile preferences" "So to have a chance with you girls I change my age to under 40"
The deception in that kills it for me everytime...Just be honest and darn proud to look good for your age is my view.
 Jen510
Msg: 191
Posted: 4/30/2012 10:08:51 AM
I really despise liars. And especially ones who lie about age, because 99% of the time we can tell! Sure some of your friends say you look soooo young for your age or what great shape you're in, but reality is you JUST look like a healthy 50 year old. Lets not kid ourselves!
 LongTallSally49
Msg: 192
Posted: 4/30/2012 1:51:52 PM
Not only do they lye about their ages, they lye about their height.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 193
Posted: 4/30/2012 2:11:12 PM
Mutton trying to pass itself off a lamb.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 194
Posted: 4/30/2012 2:46:35 PM

charlie_girl_2: No clue about the percentage, but think it is probably quite high! Frankly, I have never met a man yet, who is really 58, 59, 60... he is always older!

As a follow-up to my previous post on this, I did a search of 50miles from my location for men ages 58-59 and came up with page after page after page! There just can't be that many out there in that age group within 50miles. So, I did the same search with the same radius from other cities. Same results. And so many of these men really DO LOOK older... much older!

Well I guess I really screwed myself as I listed my real age and I'm 58 right now. It sucks to be truthful and get lumped in with all the liars.
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 195
Posted: 4/30/2012 6:35:05 PM
If I list my age as 40, will I be thought to really be 50 or more? lol

Well, I am always ready to prove my age with my drivers license. :)
 Lionesse19
Msg: 196
Posted: 4/30/2012 7:13:26 PM
Men lie about all sorts of things and taking a few years off is not necessarily a dealbreaker to me but lying about height, weight and marital status, is. If they put younger pics on the sites then the inevitable meet is a disappointment anyway. But women do it too. They want to hook in as many as possible and then hope to get a date and that their personality, charisma etc will win you over.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age