Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 phishkev
Msg: 51
view profile
History
percentage lying about agePage 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Ha! I was accused of being younger than my picture-and thinner! WTF?! Go figure...
 Miss W
Msg: 52
percentage lying about age
Posted: 2/20/2009 11:46:25 AM

A man who had emailed me off and on for some time suddenly "disappeared." He has a new profile and his age went from 67 to 70 . . . hmm . . . then for over a year, he was three years younger. At least he finally 'fessed up.

I recently noticed a guy who used to write me 2 years ago and he was 50 back then. He's back online and he's now "47". Ahhh...age regression. Gotta love it....not. I refuse to lie about my age, so what if I'm 49? I'm finally happy with who I am and I'm not ashamed.
 forum101
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 9:51:39 AM
I do not lie. Ever. Cant stand to be lied to either, about anything, no matter how small. Chalk it up to an ex who was an habitual liar.
I am 47, I act 47, I feel 47, I look 47. POF updates my age yearly, isnt that nice?
I have met up with quite a few guys from online, and I try to weed out prior to meeting them, because I bring up the "LYING" issue. I wont be with someone I cant trust or respect. And I dont trust or respect liars. Give me the truth, no matter how hard it is, even if it hurts my feelings. Yet they still show up, older by as much as 10 years, or heavier by 50-100 pounds, or chronic health problems, they can barely get into the restaurant, wondering if you need to call the paramedics. Now I even inquire about medications they might be on, and I can figure out the ailment myself. "Oh, you take Depakote?"
Dont waste my time with lies.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 10:14:35 AM
I'm very honest about my age -- I very honestly say I'm 22...

...I just don't tell them what units of time I'm using. If they assume I mean 22 years, then I can't be blamed for that, can I?
 zabet
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 2:02:53 PM
I just had a man email me who claimed in his profile to be 58. I just turned 59.

He admitted that he is actually 74, but thinks he looks young for his age, and asked why age was important to me!
 skyski
Msg: 56
view profile
History
percentage lying about age - how to check age
Posted: 3/25/2009 11:57:44 PM
I doubt there is any reliable answer about percentage - but I experienced 5 in a row - or 100% in that sample. If you're as tired of that as I am, it's pretty easy to check someone out:

I'm from the school of thought that feels if someone lies about something as simple as their age, they're gonna lie about other stuff - and I don't date someone I can't trust.
SO....Once you know their name, there are several sites that will give their age in years free:

http://www.pipl.com/ (month, too)
http://www.peoplefinders.com/
http://www.peoplelookup.com/
http://www.public-records-now.com/
http://www.intelius.com/search-name.php?
http://www.peoplesearchnow.com/
http://www.zabasearch.com/ (month, too)

If you wanna know their exact birth date, this site works:

http://www.birthdatabase.com/cgi-bin/query.pl

Note on this last one - women who have been married usually have more than one last name - so you often need to try more than one. Good Luck!
 tigershark7778
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/26/2009 10:01:03 AM
That's funny and girls are always the ones raving about it just being a number. Who cares we're all headed for a cemetery in the end anyway or is more important who gets there first?
 Gaddflye
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/4/2009 12:42:25 PM
These days it is pretty difficult to get by with lying about one's age which can readily be verified on the internet.
 dustyknight
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/11/2009 8:10:39 AM
I still find women lying about their age...After you meet, they then tell you they are older than their ad says..Their age or them isn't the problem..it's their lying I don't find attractive..You are who you are..just be yourself...
 Uncle Grumpy
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/11/2009 4:31:35 PM
Of the dozen or so women I have met in the last year only one (that I know of) She also had an old photo. I don't see the need or the point. I don't lie about that or anything else. Have a good friend that plays the game and dates women a lot younger. It only works for a little while.
 pizzic2
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:46:05 AM
Hi All! Have been on POF since last year. I am 54, and have never lied about my age and never will, besides, age is only a number and I feel, look and act much younger.

Happy Fishing!
Joyce
 celts123
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/19/2009 10:54:47 AM
I never met a woman that lied about her age. However I have seen some profiles where a woman would claim to be in her 40s. But she looks several years younger in her photos. It's possible that she looks younger than her actual age. But it's also possible that she used old pics. I have also noticed that some people will use an old photo as their main photo. But their profile will contain additional photos that are more recent.
 lilsmittenkitten
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/19/2009 7:52:44 PM
I think men do this quite often. I will get messages from guys and I will look at their profile. The age is usually early 30's and they look like they are in their mid 40's. It is really scary. Especially with the men who message me and tell me they are in their late 20's. They look much older, than their pics. It really is quite scary. I never realized how few attractive men Florida had to offer, until I moved here. It makes me want to get hitched to a yankee. I definitely won't complain about New England men ever again.
 danishsweetbread
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/19/2009 8:08:27 PM
On a paid site, I actually got an e-mail from a dude telling me "No way, I can't be 41!" and I just thanked him for what I took as a sort of back-handed compliment since nobody tells me I look older, I hear I look younger than I am and get hit on by guys too young for me, way past my limit.

I thought that was weird....like I must of doctored my photo or something? To me, I look plenty my age. I have plenty of grey hair I dye over and a few wrinkles I did not use to have 5 years ago...all attributed to my niece and nephews (watching over them while their parents are gone right now has aged me 10 years I think in 4 days)...

Anyway, back to the OP...I get turned off by liars pretty fast. Even if the guy does not look his age and has this "older women hit on me all the time so I lie about my age to get the PYTs..." explanation, I still pass him by and have.

Age may be just a number but maturity is not negotiable.
 dustyknight
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/20/2009 7:52:30 AM
One POF lady with a yellow caution dot says 59..she was 55 ..7 years ago when I met her..now I wonder if that were true then.
Another lady who says she is 55 on POF, she is 61 on another dating site.
I would think if they are going to lie about their age, they should lie on all the dating sites..
I find it's more 50/50 with the women I've met. Who really cares what age you are? It's the lieing that is a deal breaker. I do try and stay withing 5 years of my age up or down so we have something in common.
 tallyover
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/26/2009 7:54:06 AM
Even if I shaved ten years off I'd still be over the hill..LOL.

I have never lied about my age and I won't start now.
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/25/2011 2:44:32 AM
I did a thread search here in the Dating Experiences....and something I've noticed with some profiles.....I saw a woman actually ADMIT to lying about her age in the BODY of her profile reading...said she was 40 something, but put 30-something for search purposes.

Does this nullify the lie or is it still considered lying / deceiving?
 valenciacityx
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/25/2011 3:46:44 AM
Its 42, the Resultant answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything; why lie about it ?!
 Smarts and Heart
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/25/2011 8:05:06 AM
Have had quite a few men contact me from here who confessed to being older. One when I met him for a coffee and my expression gave away the fact the he look rough for his supposed age, ( I have expressive eyes, and a wicked sense of humour! What can I say, lol!)

Two confessed to being older even before we got to the meeting stage because I refused to go out with much younger men. One suddenly became 10 years older and the other 5 years older!

It's not a gender specific crime, I think it's a sense of delusion and insecurity on peoples' parts. They see themselves as they were in days gone by and wish they still were. The only one they fool is themselves.

I'd rather confess to my real age and have someone say, "Wow, you look good for your age", than lie and have them look at me and think, "Dang, she must have had a rough life!"

Here_In_Florida
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/26/2011 4:23:51 AM

It's not a gender specific crime, I think it's a sense of delusion and insecurity on peoples' parts. They see themselves as they were in days gone by and wish they still were. The only one they fool is themselves.

I have noticed, that older women who are active, hit the gym and /or had been blessed with the "My family passed down the ' I look 20 years younger than my own age' gene" is where they opt-in for younger men.

Why?

Because men their age hadn't received that "I look younger than my age gene". Or they've come to realize men stopped taking care of themselves at a certain point and let themselves go, she plans on keeping up the upkeep.

I knew of this one woman that had a boyfriend her age (she was in her mid 40's). All weekend he'd never leave the recliner and just watch the game. And she wasn't asking that the gym the way she did, she just asked that he'd go on a bike ride with her or get out and get some fresh air. lol

She just found that younger men were just more active.
 MsMuscleChick
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/26/2011 4:52:41 AM
Men do this all the time. " Oh, I am really 55 not 42 because I look younger than my age" . It is so lame. If people will lie about age they will lie about anything. Be proud of your age and who you are. Some men who are younger are more active but I have met some HOT men my age or older. I need more than good looks, I also need something in common. LOL
 inthroughtheoutdoor
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/26/2011 2:15:16 PM
Just caught yet another age liar posting in a thread that he's 53 yet his profile says he's 49...I think that's the fourth one I see today in the over 45 forum. I no longer take for granted that people are who or what they are on line, in my experience, the percentage of people who lie about their age, weight, and specially their marital status is over the top.
 dogwood
Msg: 73
Posted: 6/26/2011 2:32:38 PM

Just caught yet another age liar posting in a thread that he's 53 yet his profile says he's 49

Like there's a huge difference between 49 and 53. If you're gonna lie, go all out and say you're 20.
 vtsnowflake
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/27/2011 12:40:01 PM
I have never lied about my age, I don't see the reason to. And I don't lie about my weight either...(blush)
It's just a number not who you are. It doesn't make you more attractive by lying. It just make you look like a foolish person pretending to be something you are not. Kind of like being vain or in denial. My first response would be if you are lying about your age, what else are you lying about? Don't need to lie about your age if you are the person she or he is looking for. Don't blow it by lying.
 Landi1AZ
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/28/2011 2:12:10 PM
It's pretty common out here in Tucson. Can't say for the men, but I've no doubt they do. It's the Sex In The City, wannabe Cougars here. I know of 5 personally, that currently have 5yrs and more, shaved off. And yes, 2 of them are on other websites, posting yet another age lie?
I know of one that is a Graduate Degree, Therapist/Counselor. She is 51yrs old and a smoker. Yet on POF, 45yrs old and a NON smoker? (smoking is yet another BIG lie percentage) You see, she is trying to justify her "long term" relationship, age range selection. Which is men, ages 34-47yrs old.
Much in like one of the previous posts. At 51yrs old, she is not getting much contact or "action." From the youngsters she craves! So she lies to increase her market value. Likewise with her smoking, will accept a smoker (because she is) But also says, NO WAY for her smoking, to appeal to NON smokers as well.
There are some deep self esteem issues there. She obviously doesn't like getting older. (she is attractive) Obviously doesn't think men her age can bang her good. Obviously isn't attracted to men her age. And obviously believes she is entitled to and deserves, that HOT, hard bodied young guy. Even if she has to lie and decieve to get him.
But it really is sad and pathetic, because somewhere deep inside. She has to know, she can't get a man without lying. That sounds a bit self defeating to me.
Yes it is a HUGE red flag, when people start by lying! I asked her as a Counselor. What would she say to a patient that was doing that? Would she say, "you go girl!" Or try to get them to love themselves, for who they are, flaws, age and all?
Or what if she met a man for coffee and found out HE wasn't 45, but 55? Would she be indignant, offended, that HE lied about HIS age? Or would they share a laugh and say, "oh, me too?" Now thats a GREAT connection to share. And a wonderful way to build that SOLID "long term" relationship! (mutual deception?)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age