Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EmpireState30
Msg: 76
percentage lying about agePage 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
My experience is that nearly all men over 50 lie about their age. I just assume they are lying about their age and height
 vtsnowflake
Msg: 77
percentage lying about age
Posted: 6/30/2011 7:46:33 AM
Really? I guess I am naive!
I am surprised that someone would actually lie about smoking.
I am not a cougar because I am more attracted to older men, lol.
If I can't find someone without lying, then I'll just stay single. It's not the end of the world and it is better than trying to be someone I'm not.
 nonsensical
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/30/2011 8:46:58 AM
When I find someone is lying about their age it tells me they are not above being a sneak and a liar to get what they want. Those are Not the traits I am looking for in a partner.
 MsSookieStackhouse
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/1/2011 4:55:54 AM
This happened to me twice.

The first guy's profile said he was 35...and at the time I was turning 37. When I met him I thought he looked a bit older but not too much. So in conversation I found out that he attended the same high school as a friend of mine. So I asked him "Do you know Jason xxxxx? He's a year older than me so he might have graduated when you were a freshman..."

He was like "oh - well I actually graduated when HE was a freshman...ummm...when filling out my profile I 'accidently' but in the wrong birthday and I couldn't change it"

Yeah right...ironically he has a NEW profile here, still claiming to be 35.

The other guy was MUCH worse. His profile said he was 37. When I met him in person I didn't even recognize him. He looked at least 50 years old. To make a long story short, I Googled him after our meet and discovered I was right. The man graduated college in 1981...if he was actually 37 at the time he would have been what? 7 or 8 years old?

Oh and he's still on here...now claiming to be 38.
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/1/2011 5:28:43 AM

That said, I see a heck of a lot of women's profiles where they claim to be younger than I am, but look a lot older (imo)!!! :-/

Yeah, some seem to try to futily hold onto their youth by lying about it in their profile. It's soo funny, because they try to qualify it IN their profile

"Hey, by the way, even though my profile stats SAY I'm 38, I'm actually 45, I just happen to look young for my age....oh, and I always get carded! Tee hee!"

Seriously, people like that need to get over themselves.
 143daddyo
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2011 11:41:19 AM
What would be the sense?
 valenciacityx
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/2/2011 3:11:50 PM
this site runs on stats and boolean search tactics
If you think your real age or real height are detering you from getting 'action responses' you will lie.
If you are above the pedantic game of it, and don't care what their list serve parameters are, you wont.
simple
next maybe we can get rid of 'BBW, Athletic, Average, Skinny' and get some pounds in there; watch the new wave of lying begin ;)
 vtsnowflake
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/12/2011 12:41:45 PM
Nope, sorry, I have to disagree. I am 5'2", 183lbs. I am 52 years old born in 1958.
No lies, no shame. It is who I am. Does it hold me back from "action responses", I'm sure it does. Am I going to lie then, no. If he can't handle who I really am, then he isn't my type anyway. Sooner or later he will find out. I don't want to start a relationship on a lie.
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:13:37 PM
I had accidently found his birth certificate

LOL...he even STILL lied by 1 year when last questioned.

How did you accidently find his birth certificate?
 Irish_Stew
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/12/2011 2:37:13 PM
I read a profile of a guy who admitted in the text of his profile that he was actually in his mid 40s but he had put down late 30s because he was tired of receiving messages from women his age or older. He thought this way he wouldn't show up in their searches. Meanwhile, he's on the lookout for someone in their late 20s or early 30s. That was a bit strange.
 vtsnowflake
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/13/2011 3:06:58 PM
What a fibber he was, Irish Stew! He can easily block the older women by just typing in the age range he is looking for.
What I don't understand is when it is so obvious. I would be more embarrassed by the response when they find out I was lying.
 RazaMixta
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/13/2011 3:36:19 PM
I know!!!!
They all look their age so the only ones they are fooling are themselves.
Just by looking at a photo I can tell I'd be dealing with an old sick fat bluffing liar.
 Sînz
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/13/2011 6:06:18 PM
Wow, some of the stories in this make me kind of sad. I was raised to always be honest no matter what and it has just stuck with me. I would even consider myself brutally honest and wouldn't even lie even if it meant sparring someone from having their feelings hurt. This is just one of those topic's I will never understand as the truth always comes about.
 Betterthanblond1331
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:14:30 PM
LOL..there is a man on here..who I know personally. He has been 49 for at least 10 - 15 years..and his photo is from when he was in his early 30's. He's gray and looks pretty old. Likes em 20 -30 though..so he has to lie. Wonder what he says when he meets them?
 Sirenne
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:49:22 PM
I know for sure that once a woman is over a certain age, say 50, the amount of interest she generates is much much less. It is a fact. Same with men I guess. If someone acts and looks younger than what is the problem? We all lie a little on the dating sites and that is be expected. We need to get the interest and then hopefully those little lies dont matter as we get to know each other. But the man who says he is average when actually he is obese is a problem especially when eventually meeting up. Same with the women I guess.
 beluga13
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/5/2011 9:40:14 PM
I have come across so many men that lie about their age, that I have come to expect it. The disturbing thing is that people have no problem with the fact that they are lying. They think it's okay, because they don't want to meet someone "older," even if it is someone their own age! Then they say something brilliant like "age is just a number." Well, if that's so, why lie to meet someone younger? Let's face it, we all think we look great, but we are who we are. The age is on the profile for a reason and it's not right to lie about it.
 beluga13
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/5/2011 10:31:43 PM
It's true...not everyone out there lies. When I find out that someone has lied, I am immediately turned off. I know people exaggerate about certain things on their profiles, but lying about age is so blatant.
 tlw9191
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/7/2011 8:37:05 PM
I just ran across a woman's profile who said they were "31" yet went on to say they were a widow whose husband died back in 1995 and all her children had moved out of the house and were over 18.
 TedJMill
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2011 7:12:18 AM

I just ran across a woman's profile who said they were "31" yet went on to say they were a widow whose husband died back in 1995 and all her children had moved out of the house and were over 18.

"I would date you, but I couldn't date someone who was having sex and getting pregnant when she was a pre-teen."

I'm always honest about my age; I checked that my age went up after my recent birthday. (Although admittedly, some of my photos have been up for years). Back when I was 12, I insisted on paying full movie admissions price, even though I was short enough to easily pass for younger.
 Wh1te_Rabb1t
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/7/2011 5:05:13 AM

On here, people systematically screen out people by age so people lie.

NAIL ON THE HEAD. Screening out by age, income, height, body type, et al is done at all age levels and by all sorts of people. People cannot stand being screened out of consideration by things they largely cannot control. Makes you realize what it must've been like living in the South as a black person 50 years ago.

People who haven't been successful at dating also try to modify themselves constantly to meet one (or many) requirements of a potential dates within the sites. A little patience should be prescribed just as much as a little honesty, but since people aren't required to have either, the B.S. will keep piling up. At least when you sign up you cannot change your birthdate on a whim after the first week or so.
 joemac356
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2011 8:39:26 AM
I don't get it. As has been said, the other is going to find out anyway, which reveals a propensity to lie. I carried on a LDR with a woman for five and a half months online who'd lied about her age on her profile. She told me about it right away, explaining that she had experienced problems on another site where everyone was hung up on her age. The lie was eventually tallied into the equation later, when I caught her in a couple of other lies.
Lie once and I have a hard time believing anything after.

Two women I met from here lied about their ages, one of them, as much as ten years younger.

As I said, I just don't get it.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/8/2011 9:10:15 AM
Confession! I do not have my right age on my profile. I am actually much younger.

SeaCatcher
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/8/2011 12:06:22 PM

Yes, but if someone lies about their age then they are just as likely to lie about a whole lot of other things. I value honesty and don't want lies to get in the way of forming friendships. I've been in contact with a number of men on pof who have lied significantly about their age and it is this that has turned me off them. I am particularly suspicious of men who claim to be 10+ years younger than they actually are and are retired and express interest in moving in with me as it smacks of an attempt to get me to look after them in their old age. That is absolutely repugnant to me.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/8/2011 12:34:55 PM
Jeez Ive heard it all from women lying about their gender to men and employment!
 home_osorio
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/8/2011 4:00:31 PM
oh i lie about my age every time. sorry, am a girl and under 40 and answering.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age