Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 101
percentage lying about agePage 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Actually, I know someone in real life that's on this site that says in her profile she's 39. I caught her when she showed me some B-day pics of her 40th B-day party when we were hanging out with a group of friends. (I didn't say anything)....but her bday pics were taken about 2 years ago making her like 41 or 42.

I was thinking, "Wait a min, her POF profile states she's 39, and she's telling me here and now, these are her pictures of her 40th B-day??"
 recreator611
Msg: 102
percentage lying about age
Posted: 10/8/2011 7:13:57 PM
Well...only idiots lie about their age...only ends up in some big let down if the other party is hung up on age...and if age is a problem...not thinkin they need to be around that person.....figure it out!
 aylaausten
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/9/2011 6:55:23 AM
I haven't been on here very long and experienced this with the first guy I met. It was really a shame because I would have been more into him at his actual age rather than the year younger than me that he had posted, if I had found out the truth at the very beginning. Oh well. Better to find out sooner than later that someone's character doesn't get along well with your own.
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/9/2011 10:21:57 AM
It was really a shame because I would have been more into him at his actual age rather than the year younger than me that he had posted, if I had found out the truth at the very beginning.

Though, you do have to admit, you list no age range requirements in your profile.
 aylaausten
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/9/2011 3:39:48 PM
Do you mean the mail settings or saying so directly in my profile?
I don't see where either would make much of a difference if someone is lying.

If the lie is on their profile, it goes around the mail settings, and if someone is up for lying in order to get what they want, whatever that is, they're not going to be deterred by something written in a profile.

In the end, the number is not so much the determining factor, and a year or two younger is not a big deal either. It's the not being secure enough to be truthful, or the not being truthful due to wanting something different than stated on the profile.
 snowroses
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/9/2011 9:39:54 PM
Too True!...Age is going to happen whether you want it to or not....enjoy it while you can!..Obsessing about your age is a waste of the time you do have..
 smokincigars
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:05:45 AM
I am proud of my age, and I prefer to date women near my age because we're more likely to have common experiences; so I don't lie and don't think I would ever be tempted.

Now, if I shaved my beard and head I might be able to pass for younger, and I might do that someday -- but only because so many women in my age group look younger than they are too.
 --Zen--
Msg: 108
Posted: 10/11/2011 5:01:50 AM
I feel lying about it is a big sign of insecurity.
I like people guessing in person. Most guess around 27. After I say my real age real fun begins
 Oliver199
Msg: 109
Posted: 10/11/2011 7:42:43 AM
Honesty is always the best policy. I can understand, however, why some may lie.

Internet dating introduces a variable one doesn't usually encounter in "meat-space": filtering by criteria, such as age.

For example, if you met someone in a supermarket (or wherever), that had all of the key qualities you were looking for, but were, say, 35, would you say, "Oh, that's too bad! I won't date anyone older than 34"? Probably not. In cyberspace, though, that one year seems to be a deal breaker.

Another tendency I've noticed is, as women approach an age ending in zero, their upper age limit criteria remains static, i.e., someone who is 35 may keep an upper limit of 40, even as they themselves get older, implying that the 40 year mark is the equivalent of a carton of milk past its expiry date.

Maybe guys are the same.

I've also encountered women who are one age in their profile, but then state they are several years older in their description, usually blaming POF for the error. Uh huh.
 Wh1te_Rabb1t
Msg: 110
Posted: 10/15/2011 12:35:23 PM
If you ever wonder how many women screen out for age in searches...

I just turned 40 yesterday. For REAL. On Match.com you get to see who (and how many) people looked at your profile. In the past few weeks it's only been a handful a day at most. I haven't been 40 for more than a few hours, had not changed ANYTHING else on my profile, and have had several dozen views, mostly of women that I had never seen before.

Seriously; change your search specs EVERY time you go online. Women AND Men. You may just be surprised. Being 40 or taller than 6 feet are really meaningless statistics when it comes to compatibility. Read the damn profiles, and try trusting that the other person knows how to read. Within a couple emails you can tell if they are phony, but screening based on demographics is just plain stupid.
 Betterthanblond1331
Msg: 111
Posted: 10/15/2011 3:42:55 PM
White Rabbit..I agree...compatibility has nothing to do with all of the restrictions people put on their searches. If two people are compatible, so what if the woman is over 40? Or the man over 40. ??? I realized that although I am in better shape than I ever have been and have a lot of varied interests..I'm totally ignored because I happen to be 50. OOPS!
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 112
Posted: 10/15/2011 8:43:15 PM
I don't know what the percentage is of people lying about their age, but I don't see the point for doing so. It's going to come out sooner or later. And I agree that if someone lies about that, you may wonder what other lies they have created. As for myself, I state my true age. .if someone is going to not date you just because of a number, then they're the ones missing out. I will say the restrictions on age is helpful, because some people don't feel comfortable with too wide of an age bracket. . I'm more likely to date someone older than someone too young, for more reasons than the maturity and life experiences factor. . . I just feel that if there's too wide of an age bracket, people are not going to be able to relate to each other in terms of life experiences.
 flwrgrdn8
Msg: 113
Posted: 10/15/2011 9:03:38 PM
I just had this happen to me on POF> a man messaged me, seemed like a great guy. Very long note, very well-written, profile was great, great pics. Somewhere in the body of the note he mentions he lied about his age to get past the "geezer screeners".

I didn't finish his note. I simply replied, thanking him for his note, but declined to read more because I am not in favor of those that lie, (in any fashion) because if they will lie about that, what else do they lie about? What other character flaws would I deal with? Simply wouldn't be a match for me. My profile is exactly me, current pics, very detailed and all truthful.

I was right. He messaged me back this horrible, angry diatribe in which he heaped abuse upon me for being "shallow" and I forget what else. He went on and on (8 very lonnnnng paragraphs) about what a horrible witch I was for declining to contact him further. See? Clearly has anger management issues as well. First time blocking someone.

I just simply don't get it. Did he not realize he would get this type of response from most women? Why lie in the first place? He didn't bother to tell me how old he really was, but I can't imagine it was much older than his profile, unless all of his pics were a complete lie as well.

I guess just better for me to screen him out that way. Good riddance. Why lie?
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/15/2011 10:28:31 PM

I just had this happen to me on POF> a man messaged me, seemed like a great guy. Very long note, very well-written, profile was great, great pics. Somewhere in the body of the note he mentions he lied about his age to get past the "geezer screeners".

I've sometimes seen profiles of some women where they have lied about their age in the "stats" area, but later mention in the body of her profile she qualifies it with:

"I look young for my age, so I'm actually this age (and they tell the age)." And then brag a little about how they still get carded."

But later they tell their real age IN the profile. They just did it in the stats section, so when people do an age range search, they'll turn up.

One actually said "A lady never tells her age"
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/26/2011 11:54:30 AM
Impossible to tell without verification.

All I can say is that I have never lied about my age. It is what it is (55), I'm not "proud" of it, I'm just stuck with the reality of the actual number, even though I am the healthiest person I know, even AT my age.
 Wh1te_Rabb1t
Msg: 116
Posted: 10/26/2011 2:40:38 PM

If you ever wonder how many women screen out for age in searches...

I just turned 40 yesterday. For REAL. On Match.com you get to see who (and how many) people looked at your profile. In the past few weeks it's only been a handful a day at most. I haven't been 40 for more than a few hours, had not changed ANYTHING else on my profile, and have had several dozen views, mostly of women that I had never seen before.

This has inspired me to experiment...
For the last 24 hours on Match.com, my income has doubled and I grew three inches taller. I never wrote, winked or even looked at anyone else's profile. I changed absolutely nothing else on mine.

Instead of getting maybe a half dozen profile views on a typical weekday, I got close to 50 - and at least 42 of the women who looked I have never seen before listed in my 'Viewed Profile' window. I wrote down all the names, changed my height and income back, and I'm going to note if any of them look again during this week.

Christ, you WONDER why guys lie on their profiles? DUH!

Next week, I'm going to be 6'2" and make over $100,000 a year - for a day. Stay tuned.
 cubangent
Msg: 117
Posted: 10/29/2011 3:23:07 PM
How about the % of women lying about the weight and age 90%,
I have met some that the profile reads 5'7" 160 lbs, sound good, lmao when I met her she was at least 280, should I just pay for lunch and be polite NO, she already disrespect me by lying, so I just left.. another read 45 yeah right, so I told her you look older than my mother, she said I am 45 asked her show me your driver license, she turned around left???????????. so it happens to both sexes, all they are doing is lying to themselves...
 christyis4real
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/29/2011 3:26:51 PM
I've come across a few that looked way older than their age. Never gave them the chance to lie. lol
 bodypro88
Msg: 119
Posted: 10/29/2011 4:10:20 PM
I don't lie about my age. Or height, or income because they are going to find out eventually. I will cheerfully lie about whatever I think I can get away with if it serves me. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it.

Years ago I started posting stories from my life, my memoirs, in the creative writing forum so now there is nothing to hide. I advise ladies who come around me on this site, I tell them, "Read those stories and then get back to me." Some do, most don't.

Yes, I have experimented with pertinent criteria like income and height and gotten more views and approaches but it wasn't useful in the long run. I was being automatically exposed to taller women and women in a higher income bracket.

I would tell the truth about my height and income in the body of my profile but most of these women really didn't read my profile. They liked my face and I met their other criteria. Anyway I quit doing that right away because you don't blame women for your lack of stature or modest income. You don't call them shallow, you don't do anything, because it is pointless.

I don't know what people were before they registered onto pof but apparently pof purified them somehow.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/29/2011 6:46:13 PM
Im thinkin Ill up my age to 58 then maybe I can get some guys in their 30s! Duno whats up with 20 year olds these days ! I couldnt fathom dating a guy in his late 40s when i was in my 20s ...
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 9:55:15 AM
What's frustrating for me is that I've been extremely honest on my profile, not exaggerating anything, being truthful about everything from my likes and dislikes to my age, not putting up outdated pictures like some people, and yet every once in a while I get accused of lying about my age.

I have no reason to lie, take me as I am or leave me. Its much less complicated to tell the truth.
I have lost an extremely large amount of weight within the last year and like I said my pics are new, so they represent what I look like now, but even though I take care of myself as well as I can, I haven't had any plastic surgery, so I'm not going to look like someone who was always thin, or curvy or average, or whatever it is you'd describe me as now that I'm no longer obese.

Most of the responses I get are quite positive and of course I get many of the same flattering "wow, you're beautiful, you're sexy..etc" messages that I assume most women on here get. But every once in a while I get someone who doesnt believe I'm 44. Its kind of sad, being obese all those years, finally getting past it and now having people say thing about my age. But what I don't understand is most of those guys that tell me that they think Im being untruthful, STILL want to get with me, they just want me to "Tell the truth." I have no idea why a guy would want to be with a woman he thinks is lying or why he'd think a woman he accuses of lying would want to get get with him.

Anyway, I see alot of profiles where the guy definitely doesnt look like the age he lists on his profile, maybe he's lying , but because of what I experienced, I give the benefit of the doubt until I find out differently
 SharkByte81
Msg: 122
Posted: 10/30/2011 11:26:09 AM
My guess is that a lot of people lie about there age, both men and women. In my personal opinion, if a person is really looking for a relationship they will use their true age. Sooner or later you are going to find "the one" on here. She's going to agree to meet and the moment you walk through that door she's going to know you haven't been 27 years old in a decade. Congratulations. You just lost "the one". Players lie about their age. Serious people who want something more tell the truth.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 123
Posted: 10/30/2011 11:36:43 AM
I'm sure a lot of ppl do lie about their age, but what a stupid thing to lie about. If a relationshi progresses, how do you keep up a lie like that? I dated a guy a few years ago, that I met at a biker function, and he said he was 48. I was in my my early 40's, so I was ok w/that. He was bald, worked out everyday, didn't smoke, drank on rare occasions, & he looked young. He also had a daughter a few years older than my daughter, I believed him. It turned out he was 60! I was furious! I also found out he lied about everything! He was a pathological liar! I dumped him immediately.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:09:55 PM
Well the average age for women these days is 14 and I'm a size 12. The dress I'm wearing is a size 10. I have hips and thighs and a small waist....and I get a hell of alot of attention for my body these days. If there was a setting for curvy, i'd put that, but the closest thing was average. Lying would be saying athletic. So yes I'm average. I'm no longer BBW or Obese. If you see me that way, that's fine. But average means American Woman average, not Hollywood- size six average and again if I wished to lie, I wouldn't put up the most recent pictures I had.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:43:08 PM
Again, if that's what you want to believe fine, but we're not talking about BMIs, we're talking about AVERAGE size and the average american woman is 14. I'm one to two sizes less than that. I'm not thin or athletic, but I'm definitely an average American woman, size wise. I was a size 32 at one time...Size triple X, that would be BBW. Though I never felt that beautiful as a fat woman. If I wanted to decieve, I'd just put pics of my face and my shoulders...I have bony collar bones, but I make a point to put up pictures of my entire body. I know all the tricks .Take me or leave me ...Call me fat if you want...but I am what I am and you can see exactly what I am.

But if we're talking about 100 percent honesty, you aren't really 38 are you ? AS I said, I do try to give men the benefit of the doubt when I see their pics, but as long as we're talking about being 100 percent honest and true..you're at least in your 40s right? That's why you're mad at woman for being "sticklers" about age.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age