Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 48
view profile
History
percentage lying about agePage 7 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
What's frustrating for me is that I've been extremely honest on my profile, not exaggerating anything, being truthful about everything from my likes and dislikes to my age, not putting up outdated pictures like some people, and yet every once in a while I get accused of lying about my age.

I have no reason to lie, take me as I am or leave me. Its much less complicated to tell the truth.
I have lost an extremely large amount of weight within the last year and like I said my pics are new, so they represent what I look like now, but even though I take care of myself as well as I can, I haven't had any plastic surgery, so I'm not going to look like someone who was always thin, or curvy or average, or whatever it is you'd describe me as now that I'm no longer obese.

Most of the responses I get are quite positive and of course I get many of the same flattering "wow, you're beautiful, you're sexy..etc" messages that I assume most women on here get. But every once in a while I get someone who doesnt believe I'm 44. Its kind of sad, being obese all those years, finally getting past it and now having people say thing about my age. But what I don't understand is most of those guys that tell me that they think Im being untruthful, STILL want to get with me, they just want me to "Tell the truth." I have no idea why a guy would want to be with a woman he thinks is lying or why he'd think a woman he accuses of lying would want to get get with him.

Anyway, I see alot of profiles where the guy definitely doesnt look like the age he lists on his profile, maybe he's lying , but because of what I experienced, I give the benefit of the doubt until I find out differently
 SharkByte81
Msg: 49
percentage lying about age
Posted: 10/30/2011 11:26:09 AM
My guess is that a lot of people lie about there age, both men and women. In my personal opinion, if a person is really looking for a relationship they will use their true age. Sooner or later you are going to find "the one" on here. She's going to agree to meet and the moment you walk through that door she's going to know you haven't been 27 years old in a decade. Congratulations. You just lost "the one". Players lie about their age. Serious people who want something more tell the truth.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:09:55 PM
Well the average age for women these days is 14 and I'm a size 12. The dress I'm wearing is a size 10. I have hips and thighs and a small waist....and I get a hell of alot of attention for my body these days. If there was a setting for curvy, i'd put that, but the closest thing was average. Lying would be saying athletic. So yes I'm average. I'm no longer BBW or Obese. If you see me that way, that's fine. But average means American Woman average, not Hollywood- size six average and again if I wished to lie, I wouldn't put up the most recent pictures I had.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 12:43:08 PM
Again, if that's what you want to believe fine, but we're not talking about BMIs, we're talking about AVERAGE size and the average american woman is 14. I'm one to two sizes less than that. I'm not thin or athletic, but I'm definitely an average American woman, size wise. I was a size 32 at one time...Size triple X, that would be BBW. Though I never felt that beautiful as a fat woman. If I wanted to decieve, I'd just put pics of my face and my shoulders...I have bony collar bones, but I make a point to put up pictures of my entire body. I know all the tricks .Take me or leave me ...Call me fat if you want...but I am what I am and you can see exactly what I am.

But if we're talking about 100 percent honesty, you aren't really 38 are you ? AS I said, I do try to give men the benefit of the doubt when I see their pics, but as long as we're talking about being 100 percent honest and true..you're at least in your 40s right? That's why you're mad at woman for being "sticklers" about age.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 1:21:49 PM

OMG Gold dont listen to that guy ... jeez what a**** You are doing great with the weight loss and congratulations on your new body and enjoy all the attention you now get! Your right you are average but I disagree on hollywood theyre size 0-3 its rediculious how they starve themselves. I wear a 12 but Im just 5'2 so ya I put a few extra pounds and like you say take it or leave it right? Anyone wants to talk shit probably isnt anyone youd want to go out with anyways ...

Thanks friolera. You're right he's not worth my time...he'll be iggied from now on. I know he's just a bitter boy, because the fact of the matter is, he knows that I and you get much more attention from the opposite sex then he does and its frustrating to him because he believes he deserves it so much more.
Here I am, a woman in my 40s, size 12 of all things and getting quite a few messages a day and no doubt you do too, and he doesnt understand why women arent all fawning over a fantastic guy like him. So he'll just spend his time here spreading his misery and unhappiness to the rest of the world.

You are also right about Hollywood sizes , they are more like a size zero or one than a six..it is crazy. Judging from the response I started getting, I'd say just after I got under a size 16,not all guys want a woman that skinny.
It is kind of funny to me though, that while there's still alot of pressure to be thin, we have women who are getting butt implants to get BIGGER backsides. That cracks me up, because I got 99 problems, but needing a bigger butt aint one of em.!
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 3:46:04 PM

JMO but the red top pic (without the horns, lol) seems more in line with average. Could just be what you wore in the other pics might give the wrong impression to some people. You look pretty good in my book.

Thank you.
Im sure different clothes make a person look heavier or lighter, because I dont weigh any less or wear a smaller size in the red top picture than the other pictures. They were all pretty much taken within the year and I've been maintaining my weight for about a year and a half. But I still really like the dress in the pic with the birthday cake, even if it does make me look heavier, Im still going to keep it in my profile...it makes me feel "smiley"
And I also like the purple dress picture...it makes me feel "glam"

Oh but I DO have a confession to make...I guess I haven't been totally honest, but Ill come clean now. I'm NOT a natural blonde...boy it felt good getting that off of my chest.
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2011 8:13:44 PM

Same goes for people that say theyre good lookin... just sayin !

Yep or people that put "not single, not looking " in one part of their profile and "looking for a relationship" in another part..
 c_deacon
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2011 8:41:43 AM
And some of us just get better with age Charlie_girl.....

This is not just a man thing, and many women will get upset if you ask them about their age, or talk about how age has treated them. To me, asking someone's age when meeting and greeting, is like asking for their bra size, or penis size while having coffee or a drink.....might as well get it all out there..............

Now, let's look at the positive side of this.......If one thinks that I am not bad for being over 50, imagine what they would think if I was far past 60 and or 70, but still had your interest, and you thought I might be 50? For me, I have met those that claimed to be 40, and actually were 40, but looked at least 55 to 60, while meeting those that were 60 and looked less than 50.......there is no real question here with that......I date those I want to be with, and they me, and let the rest just happen..............

cd...........
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2011 8:58:05 AM

To me, asking someone's age when meeting and greeting, is like asking for their bra size, or penis size while having coffee or a drink.....might as well get it all out there..............

Wait...you mean I'm not supposed to ask guy his dimensions?? Well why didn't anyone tell me this before. No wonder they always look at me funny. I thought I was being polite, you know... showing him Im interested. How else is he supposed to know?

Now, let's look at the positive side of this.......If one thinks that I am not bad for being over 50, imagine what they would think if I was far past 60 and or 70, but still had your interest, and you thought I might be 50? For me, I have met those that claimed to be 40, and actually were 40, but looked at least 55 to 60, while meeting those that were 60 and looked less than 50.......there is no real question here with that......I date those I want to be with, and they me, and let the rest just happen..............

I need to start telling people I'm 60. Imagine the wows Ill get. Though if I want to get wows, I can show my before pictures..
Anyway, you have a good attitude, very positive. I'm sure you'll find someone compatible before too long
 Agallah005
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/16/2011 3:02:42 PM
well, I don't know, but I'm 36 and if I were to be 40, I would hope to be married by then, but if not, I would NOT lie about it, women will find out, unless it's on some fun nonsense.....but hell even THEN I would not lie about my age!!
 Agallah005
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/16/2011 3:03:44 PM
I have to agree with Maffers becuase when it comes to women, they LIE about their body types, LOL....OMG, are we all that dysfunctional that we can't just be ourselves?
 FormalistAesthete
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 8:56:38 PM
Should lying about age be a deal breaker?

I've met several women online who were clearly lying about their age (and I was able to find out their real age), but they were usually still within my dating age window. Still, I feel a little uncomfortable. It takes a certain amount of trust to get involved with someone, especially with someone you meet online and only see on scheduled dates. Is it fair to wonder whether people who lie about their age might be lying about other things?
 Giggles10000
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/14/2012 1:47:27 PM

Women lie about their age too.

Why is it that other people doing something wrong, makes it OK?
It isnt the age, imho, it is the fact they are in denial of their age and feel they need to LIE to be accepted by more. Imagine if everyone on here was honest, told the truth about their height, weight, relationship status, age, college education, income etc?

We would make more matches in no time ...the number of good looking people in each age bracket would increase and it would be ok to be a certain age.

To the guy showing the driver's license...I had thought of using blocking out all the info on mine but the birthday and putting it in my pics...
 Conversationist
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 7:54:21 PM
23 years young, born in 88. Don't believe me? Why would I lie about being 23?

;)

Honesty is the best policy, you may meet up eventually, so why lie about things like appearance or age?
 sentback
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:16:32 PM
Dumpling Girl Boy are YOU sure you REALLY REALLY want to GO THERE!!!!! men usually LIE about their HEIGHT... Yes some Lie about age but nothing to talk about..... Women LIE about their A G E and W E I G H T ! ! ! ! ! as the saying goes " Never ask a woman about their AGE!!!!!!! Thats suicide..... If a WOMAN ask " Do I look FAT in this DRESS??????/..... Thats SUICIDE toooooooo.... I am a caveman I have been TOLD many many times... But I have LEARN over the YEARS.... WEIGHT and AGE are a NO NO to ASK a woman... But thank GOD I have EYES!!!!!! I have BEEN fool a few times when I met the woman from POF. She was 10 years OLDER than her pic...... And many pounds over weight. I never mention it on our date. But it was the LAST date I NEVER call back. Oh yeah I hear this one ALL the time.. Quote " I AM BIG BONE WOMAN" he he he he he If I tell myself LONG ENOUGH I look like BRAD PITT I just might start believing I actually look like him. he he he he he
 shygirl413
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/22/2012 6:02:07 PM
I would say 80 percent of men on here over 40 lie about there age maybe more. Its discusting really and some look very very old maybe 60 70 and claim to be 50 come on are they kidding. I immediatly wouldnt talk to someone ever who doesnt look close to there age who wants a liar. I havent look at many womans profiles on here but i did see a woman i know from near where i live she is 56 yrs old and looks it her profile on here says she is 44 .. i think thats horrible
 sentback
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:20:38 PM
What KILLS me LMFAO he he h A look at a womans pictures she is OBVIOUSLY 50 pounds OVERWEIGHT and she has written on her PROFILE Build "ATHLETIC" ha ha ha ha ha
 skarabians1
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:55:49 PM
Don't understand why people lie about age, weight or height...they are planning on meeting you....right?? Better to get rejected before you even connect than when you meet. Do these people just want a cyber relationship??? I don't get it.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:57:16 PM
well how about if someone realy makes a mistake in the posted age. I did'nt notice that i put one year younger then im so it says 44 when im actualy 45. thought about redoing the profile but been way too lazy to do it. Didnt think one year would make a diffrence. but i must say that i didnt msg any one for the more then 9 month maybe i should
 jmark4
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:57:38 AM
studies from dating sites say around 60% of people are lying by 1-2 years about their age.

I'm not into it; I am who I am; but if I did lie I'd put 25. lol
 lobo65
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:36:47 AM
I've never lied about anything on my profile. My age is accurate, although I'd love to be younger again. That 5 mile bike ride yesterday wore me out.
 JDinMN
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/30/2012 2:49:06 PM
Interesting topic.

I remember when I was filling out the profile stuff and the age came up. I didn't think twice about putting my birthdate in there.

But a couple of seconds later. I was like, holy crud. Am I getting that old? It was almost like being presented and made to think about something that I haven't thought about in a long time.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/31/2012 4:07:02 PM

I don't know why someone would lie to me - I have posted looking for someone from mid-30s to mid-50s

You're not the only person on the site, that's why. You can't set your age for ONE person. :)

Additionally, I know why someone would lie. And it CAN be for their benefit, as far as short-term gains are concerned. Secondly, for the long run, they may miss out on chances altogether if they put their real age. At least they have a CHANCE if they're only a few years older than the other person thinks, and it ends up coming up.

I mean, once you're well past college age, how often does the age thing come up if you look the age you say, and it's not far off anyway, but just a psychological affect that's greater than the number? I know, it sounds like I'm advocating lying about the age... I'm just pointing out that I know WHY people would. They're not trying to lie to YOU directly, they're lying in their advertisement to get potentials -- and they have to stick to it.

If someone says they're 49, and they could pass for 47, but are really 53, they are probably optimizing their chances for a chance, where they wouldn't before. There's obviously negatives either way. They ruin things for themselves if & when they run across a gal who honestly likes guys in their early 50s just as much as mid 40s, and him wanting a relationship with her. It's a game of statistical probability I guess.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/30/2012 2:46:35 PM

charlie_girl_2: No clue about the percentage, but think it is probably quite high! Frankly, I have never met a man yet, who is really 58, 59, 60... he is always older!

As a follow-up to my previous post on this, I did a search of 50miles from my location for men ages 58-59 and came up with page after page after page! There just can't be that many out there in that age group within 50miles. So, I did the same search with the same radius from other cities. Same results. And so many of these men really DO LOOK older... much older!

Well I guess I really screwed myself as I listed my real age and I'm 58 right now. It sucks to be truthful and get lumped in with all the liars.
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/30/2012 6:35:05 PM
If I list my age as 40, will I be thought to really be 50 or more? lol

Well, I am always ready to prove my age with my drivers license. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > percentage lying about age