Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gurlseven
Msg: 119
view profile
History
smell plays a big part......!!!Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Yesss smell is a HUGE part of it for me... I love to smell good, and I love a man who smells good (doesn't have to be cologne, but I prefer a VERY slight dab of it).

...and breath, well, just take care of your teeth :) and brush your tongue!! If you still have a problem after that, see a doctor, it may not be something you can't fix up a little. We all have some sort of breath after food or working all day, but 'care' about it... don't just think it doesn't matter :)

Smell is my number one above 'attractiveness'. Ego/confidence is 3rd.

*snifs you all* :) mmm
 SmartAlec
Msg: 123
view profile
History
smell plays a big part......!!!
Posted: 8/12/2008 5:44:03 AM
strangest thing in Paris I found = getting into an elevator with a group of french women dressed to the nines - they didnt bathe I am sure of it! It was awful... combo of dirty hair, body odour, layering of perfume, etc. Makes me think North American women have the right idea here! Soap and water, touch of scent, that is all one needs. Bring on clean!
 60to70
Msg: 132
Posted: 9/2/2008 1:02:49 AM
Many years ago I "smelled" my partner. Neither then nor now did he resort to fragrances. Age took its toll, but this person still smells very nice. I excuse the odd bad smell, because the original smell never failed. His earthy outlook has never failed this relationship or his relationship with the world in general. Hark! to men who respond to the women who is elemental enough to recognize by smell which man is genetically suited to her sphere. Science backs up this debate. Should you be considering children.
Hoo la.
 GURULOUNGE
Msg: 159
view profile
History
what>>>>>>>>>>>
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:56:24 PM
YEP/ It's a hormone thing estrogen for the girls/ testosterone for the guys.
Ya don't smell it/ although couples have been known to wear or have in their
possession an article of clothing belonging to their partner.
Often it provides comfort/ Like a blankie. Term 'Chemistry'
I still to this day recall previous pleasantry's as far back as high school locked away
somewhere way back inside my 'brains'.

Doc.
 barbee1970
Msg: 161
Posted: 5/9/2009 5:32:54 AM
I'm not around alot of guys who use cologne, and I guess I'm use to it. I smell Polo or something and it really does noting for me.

Of course, I had a co-worker who would not shower and splash the stuff on. Gross!
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 162
Posted: 5/9/2009 5:53:20 AM
I think the whole smell factor is mostly biological... not metaphysical.

That said, it has to be there for me. I have to find the way my special someone smells in the morning to be pleasant.

Even morning breath varies from person to person.

It's just another of the 10 bajillion ways we can be compatible or not. lol.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 167
Posted: 5/9/2009 10:44:01 AM
Smell can play a part in attraction but thats it; if you are looking for sex then it's a huge, important thing. If you are looking for someone to love, not so much.

Attraction is several things to several people; it could be touch, the sound of their voice, a laugh, smell, their sense of humor, the way they carry themselves, confidence, how they handle adversity, if they are protective, if they are responsible and polite, romantic, passionate.

It could be lots of things to lots of people.

Smell can play a huge part in first attraction and seduction but attraction is a lot of things to a lot of people.
 cdeluca0331
Msg: 175
Posted: 5/10/2009 3:16:07 AM
Yes that is true...smell/scent plays a big part in my attraction for men...If I dont smell cologne on him or even the smell of the kind of soap he uses...I tend to automatically think he is not clean.
 ccdoesdd
Msg: 179
Posted: 5/10/2009 6:35:39 AM
That certain smell you're referring is called pheremones....(ics)
Giorgio Armani ..... does the trick for me....
 c_deacon
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 5:48:09 PM
Very true for both sexes.....

The key is to enhance your body smell that is specific to you and not try to hide it. Certain colognes or perfumes that match your body chemistry will do this, but unfortunately for most, they just add more of the smell they like, and not let their body dictate the smell that should be.

I have had a few women that have asked me not to wear anything at all, because they just wanted to smell me, and this was also with deodorant, cologne, and any other scents that might interfere with my normal pheromones.

If the smell matches you and your desires, it just works, and it can be interesting when they even ask you to sweat for them, in order for them to smell the real you, and they are turned on by it.......go figure.

OT........What I like to hear are those words......you smell great, and I have not put on one thing yet.......

Just my opinion........
 Captain Incognito
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2009 11:11:11 AM
I think it's very important. I know my girlfriend loves my smell, and when she's cuddled up to me sniffing my chest, it's kind of a turn on. I myself am not a fan of perfumes and heavily scented deodorant. It's a turn off for me.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 186
Posted: 5/21/2009 11:17:02 AM
I think a lot of women highly underestimate how crucial of a role smell plays.

Like... women who are very clean, wear really nice perfume... and don't take care of their coochie so it smells like a garbage can.

WTF is up with that? lol.... I mean, ladies, I know guys do this too... but it's not the same thing.
 Honcho
Msg: 188
Posted: 5/21/2009 3:04:34 PM
Farmer John was a rich widower and was showing a widow around his farm in his pickup truck: John says "See all those cows in that field? They are all mine." Next he points out another field and says "See all them calves? Well they are all mine too."
Finally John says, "Look over in that far field, all them bulls are mine." The widow becoming concerned asked, "John, since the bulls are in one field and the cows in another, how do you know when to breed them. John says, "Well them cows will give off a smell that I can discern when they come into heat, that's when I put them together." After returning back to his house, the widow jumps in her car and starts to back out of the drive, when she rolls down her window and says, "John, when you get over your head cold.....call me!"
 Rythmn
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2009 11:44:18 PM
i think it may be more about pheremones. but a while ago, two men in a row did not like the perfume i wore, actually an essential oil tinture, that two men before them did. so, i stopped wearing it and will figure that all out, after i find "my man"!

for me, certain after shaves bring back memories , like my first college boyfriend (old spice, don't cringe please)-- but i'm finding that i'm chemically sensitive to many of these aftershaves, as well as perfumes, myself lately. only if this is the case, i tell someone straight away and not make a big deal about it "several weeks later"! i just say i'm "allergic" to it. why some and not others, i have no clue.

my last relationship was very physical. not "only" physical, as we were best friends. but still, very physical. in the begining i could smell him coming a mile away! no, he did not smell that bad. it was the pheremonal attraction we had. plus, some other crazy stuff. however, when it all went south slowly in the third year, i found myself starting to not like his smell at all! it was very upsetting. but, also may have reflected his internal downward spiral, which in turn may have affected his body chemistry. i also read somewheres that often our attraction to someone's smell reflects a biological complementarity. eg. each of you has "something" redeemable that the other one has, should you reproduce. ahem, not that i was planning to do that in my late 50's!

i feel really badly at times, when i think of how it "was" and it was only ended last summer, but for me, that's a long time. so, i can assume that it will happen again. or i can soak my head in someone else's beer, which personally does not smell at all good to me. i don't drink that much, so it would "have" to be someone else's beer! i guess, i'll just keep my nose to the ground or maybe in the air!
 *buzz*
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:53:05 PM
I believe we are drawn by different smells to whether or not we stay around a person.

No wonder then why I have days when not meeting anyone due to my appetite for garlic LOL.

Hmmm ... thinking about garlic => *natural antibiotic* - it was not a vision when I was told: "You are preaching to the converted !!"
 quirky.dude
Msg: 199
Posted: 5/25/2009 7:33:54 AM
Yes, it's important, a little bit of nice perfume goes a long way. I like to smell nice too. I spray a little bit of cologne on in the morning and nobodies complained so far.
 Honcho
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/26/2009 11:45:57 AM
Ladies, lets take a poll. Which brand of men's cologne would you vote for as the most pleasing? I have expensive colognes but seldom use them because after several hours my body chemistry causes them to smell different than when first applied. After that change occurs, I don't particularly like the funky smell.
 DocElffington
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 12:05:51 AM
Oh yeah!

Pavlov's dog too!

A specific stimuli can insite a learned response.

Ever gotten a whiff of something that reminded you of someone?

Ladies, ever kept an article of your SO's clothing that smelled like him, for when he wasn't around?

Body funk isn't attractive to anyone.

But when a woman feels like a guy is treating her special and he's wearing a particular cologne.........

She'll partially attribute those feelings to that scent, in the future.
 aliveone1
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 9:48:41 PM
I saw a show on this subject recently on NBC or CBS...like many of you have posted earlier, it said there had been studies which show that we are attracted to people's scents who are different from us genetically which is supposed to give us a better chance of having healthy offspring.

However, the show went on to talk about another study which showed that birth control skews a woman's natural ability to do this. While on BC, women gravitate toward men with similar genetic make-ups, who would be more likely to produce un-healthy offspring with them.

Even more troubling to me though...how has this effected modern dating? I would wager a bet that most young women who are dating are on some form of hormonal BC. So, we find the love of our lives, who we are intensely attracted to....perhaps marry....when it comes time to have children, we go off our BC, and suddenly find that we are no longer attracted to our mates!

Could this have anything to do with the recent dramatic rise in divorce rates?

I found this tidbit of information very stunning and troubling!!

When I told a grey haired nurse at Planned Parenthood this, she just shook her head and said that she was glad she didn't have to worry about that anymore! lol.
 This_Knight_Is_On_A_Quest
Msg: 209
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:32:23 PM
I never realized that 'scent' played such a big role in attraction. I was do some research on kissing, thinking that kissing was the most important. It turns out that a big factor in the act of kissing is not just the actual kiss, but the fact that a person gets so very close and 'smells' the other person.

One gal wrote: Scent definitely plays a role in attraction. I've noticed sometimes I am not comfortable going near some men or being close to them physically even when there is no bad smell or anything off putting about them and sometimes I *want* to be close to some men without understanding why. Given that pheromones are detected consciously, I'm guessing it is because I don't /do like their pheromones.

Another gal wrote: This stuff is really powerful. I was once in a psych
experiment where we had to smell cotton swabs of various intensities and were asked to rate them. There was one I loved and it turned out to be the (combined) sweat of a few guys. I almost puked when they actually told me that. I typically find male sweat repulsive and hate gyms for that reason.
What I smelled in the cotton swabs was androstadienone, a metabolite of the sex hormone testosterone, which has strong pheromone-like activities in humans. It is was mmmmm simply wonderful. It made me feel so good, warm and secure and you're right it did have a smell that could be described sandalwoody-very pleasant.

I know it is important to bathe before meeting someone. I like to use body wash and that has a fragrance to it. However, some gals like this smell, while others don't like any artificial fragrance on a guy (being alergic to perfume). Once again, without rules, it boils down to a what-to-do decision when it comes to that first meet and greet - and trying to make a good impression.

I recognize this is an old post but I was wondering if today's posters had anything to contribute to this.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 210
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:48:09 PM
For sure, I went to the movies with a woman off Match a couple weekends ago and whatever shampoo, body lotion or perfume she was wearing was gross, almost made me gag throughout the movie.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/20/2015 7:06:00 PM
Smell is everything.
 petula1908
Msg: 213
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:15:28 AM
Aramis does it for me and smell is so important with attraction. Sometimes it is subliminal and sometimes it is more obvious.
 south_city
Msg: 214
Posted: 2/21/2015 7:58:45 AM
Bad breath / body odor / hygiene is a dealbreaker for me. However smelling good would only make a woman slightly more attractive to me. In other words, perfume that smells good isn't going to change an average looking woman ( in my view ) to an extremely attractive one.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 215
Posted: 2/21/2015 8:14:57 AM
Beauty is only a light switch away, unfortunately you can still smell them in the dark
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >