Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Honcho
Msg: 188
smell plays a big part......!!!Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Farmer John was a rich widower and was showing a widow around his farm in his pickup truck: John says "See all those cows in that field? They are all mine." Next he points out another field and says "See all them calves? Well they are all mine too."
Finally John says, "Look over in that far field, all them bulls are mine." The widow becoming concerned asked, "John, since the bulls are in one field and the cows in another, how do you know when to breed them. John says, "Well them cows will give off a smell that I can discern when they come into heat, that's when I put them together." After returning back to his house, the widow jumps in her car and starts to back out of the drive, when she rolls down her window and says, "John, when you get over your head cold.....call me!"
 Rythmn
Msg: 192
view profile
History
smell plays a big part......!!!
Posted: 5/21/2009 11:44:18 PM
i think it may be more about pheremones. but a while ago, two men in a row did not like the perfume i wore, actually an essential oil tinture, that two men before them did. so, i stopped wearing it and will figure that all out, after i find "my man"!

for me, certain after shaves bring back memories , like my first college boyfriend (old spice, don't cringe please)-- but i'm finding that i'm chemically sensitive to many of these aftershaves, as well as perfumes, myself lately. only if this is the case, i tell someone straight away and not make a big deal about it "several weeks later"! i just say i'm "allergic" to it. why some and not others, i have no clue.

my last relationship was very physical. not "only" physical, as we were best friends. but still, very physical. in the begining i could smell him coming a mile away! no, he did not smell that bad. it was the pheremonal attraction we had. plus, some other crazy stuff. however, when it all went south slowly in the third year, i found myself starting to not like his smell at all! it was very upsetting. but, also may have reflected his internal downward spiral, which in turn may have affected his body chemistry. i also read somewheres that often our attraction to someone's smell reflects a biological complementarity. eg. each of you has "something" redeemable that the other one has, should you reproduce. ahem, not that i was planning to do that in my late 50's!

i feel really badly at times, when i think of how it "was" and it was only ended last summer, but for me, that's a long time. so, i can assume that it will happen again. or i can soak my head in someone else's beer, which personally does not smell at all good to me. i don't drink that much, so it would "have" to be someone else's beer! i guess, i'll just keep my nose to the ground or maybe in the air!
 *buzz*
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:53:05 PM
I believe we are drawn by different smells to whether or not we stay around a person.

No wonder then why I have days when not meeting anyone due to my appetite for garlic LOL.

Hmmm ... thinking about garlic => *natural antibiotic* - it was not a vision when I was told: "You are preaching to the converted !!"
 quirky.dude
Msg: 199
Posted: 5/25/2009 7:33:54 AM
Yes, it's important, a little bit of nice perfume goes a long way. I like to smell nice too. I spray a little bit of cologne on in the morning and nobodies complained so far.
 Honcho
Msg: 200
Posted: 5/26/2009 11:45:57 AM
Ladies, lets take a poll. Which brand of men's cologne would you vote for as the most pleasing? I have expensive colognes but seldom use them because after several hours my body chemistry causes them to smell different than when first applied. After that change occurs, I don't particularly like the funky smell.
 DocElffington
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 12:05:51 AM
Oh yeah!

Pavlov's dog too!

A specific stimuli can insite a learned response.

Ever gotten a whiff of something that reminded you of someone?

Ladies, ever kept an article of your SO's clothing that smelled like him, for when he wasn't around?

Body funk isn't attractive to anyone.

But when a woman feels like a guy is treating her special and he's wearing a particular cologne.........

She'll partially attribute those feelings to that scent, in the future.
 aliveone1
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2009 9:48:41 PM
I saw a show on this subject recently on NBC or CBS...like many of you have posted earlier, it said there had been studies which show that we are attracted to people's scents who are different from us genetically which is supposed to give us a better chance of having healthy offspring.

However, the show went on to talk about another study which showed that birth control skews a woman's natural ability to do this. While on BC, women gravitate toward men with similar genetic make-ups, who would be more likely to produce un-healthy offspring with them.

Even more troubling to me though...how has this effected modern dating? I would wager a bet that most young women who are dating are on some form of hormonal BC. So, we find the love of our lives, who we are intensely attracted to....perhaps marry....when it comes time to have children, we go off our BC, and suddenly find that we are no longer attracted to our mates!

Could this have anything to do with the recent dramatic rise in divorce rates?

I found this tidbit of information very stunning and troubling!!

When I told a grey haired nurse at Planned Parenthood this, she just shook her head and said that she was glad she didn't have to worry about that anymore! lol.
 This_Knight_Is_On_A_Quest
Msg: 209
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:32:23 PM
I never realized that 'scent' played such a big role in attraction. I was do some research on kissing, thinking that kissing was the most important. It turns out that a big factor in the act of kissing is not just the actual kiss, but the fact that a person gets so very close and 'smells' the other person.

One gal wrote: Scent definitely plays a role in attraction. I've noticed sometimes I am not comfortable going near some men or being close to them physically even when there is no bad smell or anything off putting about them and sometimes I *want* to be close to some men without understanding why. Given that pheromones are detected consciously, I'm guessing it is because I don't /do like their pheromones.

Another gal wrote: This stuff is really powerful. I was once in a psych
experiment where we had to smell cotton swabs of various intensities and were asked to rate them. There was one I loved and it turned out to be the (combined) sweat of a few guys. I almost puked when they actually told me that. I typically find male sweat repulsive and hate gyms for that reason.
What I smelled in the cotton swabs was androstadienone, a metabolite of the sex hormone testosterone, which has strong pheromone-like activities in humans. It is was mmmmm simply wonderful. It made me feel so good, warm and secure and you're right it did have a smell that could be described sandalwoody-very pleasant.

I know it is important to bathe before meeting someone. I like to use body wash and that has a fragrance to it. However, some gals like this smell, while others don't like any artificial fragrance on a guy (being alergic to perfume). Once again, without rules, it boils down to a what-to-do decision when it comes to that first meet and greet - and trying to make a good impression.

I recognize this is an old post but I was wondering if today's posters had anything to contribute to this.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 210
Posted: 2/20/2015 6:48:09 PM
For sure, I went to the movies with a woman off Match a couple weekends ago and whatever shampoo, body lotion or perfume she was wearing was gross, almost made me gag throughout the movie.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/20/2015 7:06:00 PM
Smell is everything.
 petula1908
Msg: 213
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:15:28 AM
Aramis does it for me and smell is so important with attraction. Sometimes it is subliminal and sometimes it is more obvious.
 south_city
Msg: 214
Posted: 2/21/2015 7:58:45 AM
Bad breath / body odor / hygiene is a dealbreaker for me. However smelling good would only make a woman slightly more attractive to me. In other words, perfume that smells good isn't going to change an average looking woman ( in my view ) to an extremely attractive one.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 215
Posted: 2/21/2015 8:14:57 AM
Beauty is only a light switch away, unfortunately you can still smell them in the dark
 Maleman999
Msg: 216
Posted: 2/21/2015 10:40:09 AM
Is the technology available to have scratch-n-sniff pictures on profiles?
 Maleman999
Msg: 217
Posted: 2/21/2015 11:46:42 AM
"Smell to me is even more important than looks."

This is the land of the never ending deal breakers. So if a guy has everything else you want in a guy, but his smell doesn't do it for you, is it automatically a kick-him-to-the-curb result? Does every first meet start off with going up to the person and sniffing them, just like a dog sniffing a butt? If the first smell doesn't do it for you, do you turn around and walk out, since there would never be any attraction?
 daynadaze
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2015 12:47:25 PM
How can a guy (or woman) have everything you want but smell bad to you, ever be someone you'd want to be next too? The question is silly, if someone stinks and repels you, how would you be sticking around to find out everything else about them? These 'set up' questions are meaningless. We really don't have to make these decisions, they are pretty automatic and we don't even go there, for the most part. Otherwise you are just playing around with someone, what are you going to say, well I think you stink and I can't stand it, but I'm willing to gross my way through it and see if I can get over it? Who the hell would want that done to them?
 MyWorldIsEmpty
Msg: 219
Posted: 2/21/2015 3:36:18 PM
I never gave it much thought... but when folks talk about meeting to see if there is "chemistry" between the two, it is not just the appearance of the person that the mind takes in. On a sub-concious level we are evaluating lots of information. I never thought that smell was one of those considerations that one checks against. But it is there.

A co-worker told me one time that the thing she missed most about her deceased husband was his smell. I was too young and knieve to appreciate what she was talking about. I now appreciate what she talked about and meant. Smell just might be the most significant aspect of attraction. If not, it sure ranks up there! And without even really be aware that it is!
 petula1908
Msg: 220
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:02:30 PM
More importantly have a live video chat facility, that could cut out a lot of fakes and liars. But I digress.

As has been said, smell is important but does not override a lack of physical appeal.
 Maleman999
Msg: 221
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:03:43 PM

How can a guy (or woman) have everything you want but smell bad to you, ever be someone you'd want to be next too? The question is silly

I wasn't referring to someone who stinks and never bathes-that's what happens when you assume. I was referring to someone who is clean and has proper hygiene, but has a smell that some women would go bonkers over, but wouldn't do the trick for other women.
 petula1908
Msg: 222
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:06:14 PM
myworldisempty

Yes the smell is a large part of the chemistry and I saw a programme the other night that maintained that strippers get 40% more tips when they are in a fertile cycle than otherwise. It is not that the men know consciously what is going on but we are animals after all and I guess it may also be relevant for waitresses and their tips????

As far as smell being a dealbreaker Literate Hiker is still wanting to see that guy that smelled so odious on that first meet but wants to ask him more questions. Go figure.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 223
Posted: 2/21/2015 4:18:10 PM
Regarding LH and that odious dude?

Maybe he was wearing Sex Panther by Odeon? Ya know, panther piss?

Would her opinion have changed if the guy paid $2K for 8 ounces of that stuff?
 daynadaze
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2015 5:38:05 PM
So was I, if they smell bad to you, you aren't too likely to be around them, especially in a romantic relationship.
 ryuoki
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2015 5:38:30 PM
I have stated many times in many different forums, posts and even oral discussions that pheromones are being neglected these days. Deodorants, perfumes and colognes mask various odors our bodies make that others would normally take queues from. Sometimes it is preferential... some people can stink. But so long as bathing regularly it isn't that much of an issue to go without deodorants at times. The actual bad smell is bacterial more than body odor. As a whole this has been weakening us as a species. Look at the increases in allergy problems, possibly even as far as autism might be attributed to this. People who would normally not come together naturally are societally and mating creating offspring with various weaknesses. Another issue that goes hand in hand has to deal with our advances in medical technology saving lives with genetic disorders that natural selection would have weeded out allowing only the strong and more desirable traits to pass on.... now weaker traits are being passed on and mingled in with strong decreasing the strength each generation should grow by less and less.... basically diluting our genes with weaknesses.

http://www.athenainstitute.com/discovery.html

This one refers to quite a few different studies on human pheromones. No matter how civilized humans may think that we are, we are still animals and pretty much anything we do can be found in the animal kingdom behaviors as well. Many answers to our problems can be found with our distant cousins.

The internet has brought the world together while driving wedges between humans individually.
 gtomustang
Msg: 227
Posted: 2/26/2015 9:10:11 PM
"I saw a programme the other night that maintained that strippers get 40% more tips when they are in a fertile cycle than otherwise."

>>>Its been my observation for many years that 50% of the ladies I cross paths with during that ovulation period, are friendlier than average, showing more indicators of interest, and other behavior that might just make them more likely to meet someone who could impregnate that egg. No, I don't mean they were hanging all over me, I just mean their behavior was noticeably more social. And on this site, I've seen plenty of times ladies go from, "men are pigs who only think about sex" to a week later defending their right to have sex just for the sake of having sex.

I will posit, therefore, some of these exotic dancers may be getting more tips during this period of time b/c they are making more of a social connection with their client, whereas other times they are "decoupling" from the interaction where they trade a view of their body for money and adopt more than merely a stage name, but a stage identity in order to deal.

I do see also, that in talking about pheromones, people bring up colognes, which of course isn't one's natural smell,but a combo of animal pheromones and other scents (woody, citrus, etc) I'd love to see a scientific study where someone who recognizes pheromones gets tested with a bad head cold, or before and after quitting smoking. Since both tends to change the taste of food, when its really affecting the sense of smell of the food.
 wooweewoo13
Msg: 229
Posted: 3/3/2015 4:16:13 AM
Oh yeah....does play a part big time!....Ive run from woman who for some reason had an odore that wasnt good....weather it be their perfume or what-ever....lol....I try to present myself clean and not over done with cologne which Ive seen many guys do....like you can smell them a block away!...lol
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >