Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wahoo4me
Msg: 173
Is falling in love different at age 45+ than when you are younger?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I am 45 and in love -- really -- for the first time in my life. I had many romances in my 20s, met and married what I thought was my best friend in my 30s, and divorced a few years back. When I met my love, I was in the process of preparing myself mentally to "settle." You know, find someone who meets the requirements, someone you like and want to spend time with, but not necessarily someone who knocks your socks off. Boy, was I in for a surprise when my man walked through that door and I touched his hand for the first time. I'll be taking down my profile on this site today.

And yes, it really is the same in almost every way. I do think men are better able to express themselves, their feelings, when they're older and so that makes it even more intense. And I do think 45+ people are able to gauge more quickly whether the relationship is a true "keeper."
 zippytwo
Msg: 174
Is falling in love different at age 45+ than when you are younger?
Posted: 10/31/2011 4:57:26 PM
Yes, it's different....we've heard all the 'lines' and can pick up on the 'red flags' quickly and know we won't settle for anyone just to be in a relationship. We've gained wisdom over the years, and have seen a lot.

The feeling of falling in love is the same, that doesn't change, but we have. It's a wonderful feeling and fortunate are those that experience that again. It would be awesome if it happened and I haven't given up all hope for it, just not holding my breath!
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 176
Posted: 11/1/2011 9:00:20 PM
I know that many people see love as something you fall into. Something that sneaks up on you and knocks you over the head. I've been one of those people. But now, I think love is something you do. Something you give away to others and hopefully are given in return. What we call love when we are young and inexperienced can often be something else. (Or amplified by something else.) Lust. Obsession. Ego. Desperation. (I'm sure the list goes on.)

I think that as we get older and more experienced, we don't let these things cloud our judgement as much, or maybe we just become jaded. In either event, we tend to choose who we love, rather than trying to love whoever gets our blood up, or presents herself/himself in a time of need or weakness. That's if we allow ourselves to love at all.
 travelinshoes5
Msg: 177
Posted: 11/2/2011 12:13:56 AM
I fell in love and the hurt is ten times as bad as high school
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >