Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What about the personal ads on Craigslist?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JohnGaltLives
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What about the personal ads on Craigslist? Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
You know, curiously, Craigs List does seem to have a higher general success rate, at least in terms of generating first dates, than Plenty of Fish. Once you've weeded through the bots and paid-personals redirects (i.e., the fake ads), you then just have to find someone whose ad you find appealing, and they generally respond favorably to a sincere, well-written message (those who take the time to write well immediately establish themselves as several cuts above the "Show us your bewbs!", "Are you shaved down there?" and "Here's a picture of my****.." e-mails ladies typically seem to receive on Craigs List).

I'd be curious to see what statistics there are (if any exist) that show comparitive data for long-term relationship success from a site like Plenty of Fish (which for purposes of broad data-gathering would probably have to be lumped in with other dedicated, "serious" dating sites, even the paid ones) and from the personals on Craigs List.
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 52
view profile
History
What about the personal ads on Craigslist?
Posted: 2/21/2009 11:43:45 AM
I agree. A guy can post on CL and get as much or more response from real women(after weeding out responses from bots, spammers, and hookers) as he would on POF. I can't say the results are any better on CL, but it seems much less frustrating than POF.
 Street King
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/5/2009 4:11:54 PM
When using Craigslist you just have to jump in and start responding to people's profiles because if you're afraid you're contacting a spammer then you'll never respond to the real women who put their profiles on CL. I've used Craigslist numerous times and have had success in meeting women off of the site. But I've been fooled by spam and been contacted by spam. After a while you recognize spammers but until you try you'll never know.
 justinakrfc
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/7/2009 1:32:34 AM
Truth. Tons of spam responses. Sometimes I put out an ad and just get spam. Other times i get responses.

One thing it has taught me is that this whole dating thing is more than just pictures. Physically, I was into this one chick I meet, but personality wise, we completely clashed and I couldn't keep the charade up.
 Leisurely Ways
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/7/2009 10:07:13 AM
In my neck of the woods, the cops discovered these cyberland postings are a great way for prostitutes to acquire new customers.
-----
Trust me: I'm a (former) journalist.
 ml456
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/7/2009 10:35:17 AM

I don't think CL is any better or worse than POF. Many of the things that happen on CL can also happen on POF.

1. People who have a laundry list of requirements.
2. People who lie about their age, height, weight, marital status etc.
3. Rude, vulgar emails.

I agree. I know some people who have used both CL and POF. They actually had more success on CL in terms of getting first dates / meetings.
 mynamesnotjesus
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/7/2009 11:32:22 AM
General rules of thumb for Craigslist personals (m4w, w4m) are:
Don't contact anyone without a picture.
Don't contact anyone with a pic showing someone attractive in a general sense, or that you find attractive.

I think the only generally non spam, phishing, or fake ads are in the m4m section.
 suibhne
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:50:30 PM
When in doubt, dont.

Most are just scammers, as for the legitimacy, well, there is always one in a million.
 akimmbo
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2009 5:41:59 AM
simply put, Craigslist has become the scam 'gold standard' on the internet.

I might answer an add if someone had a radial arm saw for sale.....Might that is...because he may have an offshore account in bahamaia, where I must send a two thousand dollar money order, and he will send me the saw, change, his first born, and the key to Living Well.

I would never...ever answer a personal ad on there.
You will either end up with a lady who forgets to tuck in her balls under her mini skirt....at 500 bucks an hour

or...well, as recently witnessed...a stalker guy who 'will' Kill you.

these forums seem like a safe preschool playground compared to Craigs List of Anomolies.

JMO
Kimbo*******************************
 Commander_Cool
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/17/2009 8:39:42 AM
I've used craigslist in the past and it's a little hit or miss, in my case, mostly misses. From spam replies to no replies at all, craigslist personnels kind of suck. I have met two people through craigslist though and we're great friends, so in a sense, the old saying "nothing ventured, nothing gained" still holds true.
 billsmith1970
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/17/2009 8:58:15 AM
I have had a much better response on CL to my contacts than I have on here. As for actually meeting folks, one person here and it did not last but a couple of months, but then went into it looking for dating versus friendship first. I have contacted several women via CL, all very recently, and have several meet and greets over the next few days. Of course I am mostly looking for friends, being new to town and that makes a difference.

The hard part about CL is that you risk your email address so recommend getting a throw away address. At least here there are more measures taken to ensure there are not bots and other malicious activities going on.

Bill
 electriclamb
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/1/2009 10:46:03 AM
I've used CL some months ago. I estimate that maybe 50% of the ads are fake, and another 25% are crazy as heck. However, I did have a few really nice dates out of all the nonsense. Just use a different email account than your main one to reply. Set up a temp email account at another domain like gmail, yahoo, or excite just to keep the really hard-case nuts at a distance. Also NEVER give out any city names, streets or names of people you know until you are certain who you found is not crazy! CL has some good advice on keeping your privacy info private. Read it carefully and use good judgement. If it doesn't smell right run for the hills! These days I stick top PoF since, at least in theory, the matches are screened, photos are given (although some are faked a bit too) and you can chat a bit until you feel more confident that the other person is not a kook (this is highly subjective though.)
 jeepwmn
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/5/2010 12:55:03 AM
It's just another way of meeting people, really. But, I try not to use it if I can help it. The first couple of times, actually ended up dating men from there. .but nothing long term. The third time. .I'm regretting it. He ended up being way too clingy, even before we were able to meet. Actually, I was sick, and did not feel up to meeting, but he kept pushing the issue. I had to get off the phone (he kept saying "please say you'll still talk to me") and finally had to hang up on him. Even after I told him I wasn't interested in talking any longer, he still continues to text me. Yes, he just kept asking, creepy questions, like if I usually eat alone when I get home, am I able to meet potential dates at work, wanted to know exactly what I would be doing during the day. .wanting to know what I would be doing at what hours, etc. If I didn't answer my phone, he immediately sent emails asking me why I was ignoring him.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/5/2010 6:41:32 AM
I think your risk is the same. I've never personally experienced it but I've heard there are front profiles on every dating site like Match, Yahoo, etc..

I do know someone who used CL for dating and they did get dates and hookups pretty easily.
 Thesumofallparts
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:40:32 AM
First time I used CL personals, I met a wonderful young lady (attractive, educated, fun, SANE) and we had a really nice relationship.
In the times since, it's been very unsuccessful. Spammers are simply an inconvinience, having no effect on what I would consider a "success."
I actually see CL as a sampling of the normal population at large. It's not like I've had any better success here or elsewhere when it comes to online dating, than CL, in reality. There are nut jobs everywhere on the web and in real life.

I guess my conclusion is that you shouldn't rule out CL if you're using this site, it's not hard to spot fake adds or fake responses to your adds with a little practice. Sure, there are weirdos, but also good ones, too, which I know first hand.
 gypsyprincess76
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 12:53:44 PM
Personally, I would avoid Craigslist altogether. There is a remote chance you will find somebody worth finding, but you have to wade through a lot to do so. There is an aura of creepiness about those personals and some are just plain sad. Why would you try Craigslist when there are plenty of fish here? Sorry, pun intended!

redbirdgirl39
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:00:47 PM
There are fake people and real people on CL, same as here. In my opinion, at least on CL they might be more upfront about just looking for a hookup than pretending to be looking for more like some of the guys on here. Personally, I've been on more dates and made more friends on CL than I have on pof.
Oh and yeah, an alternate email address is definitely the smart thing to do.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:19:23 PM
I always thought Craigslist was for finding good deals, and great reading with a cup of coffee - the posts are better than reality TV. Do people really date from that site?
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/6/2010 9:34:48 PM
I used CL and had a few dates most of them just meet and greet and nothing past that. Also met someone that dated for a short time. I think there is a much better chance to meet someone of CL then most dating sites. The spam is nothing more then annoying. POF is more to read the forum then actualy meeting anyone.
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 8:22:06 AM
Yes, people do date folks they've met through craigslist, just like they used to meet through newspaper classifieds. I've done both.

Traffic on CL in my area (central Illinois) seems to be way down in recent months, CL management has cracked down on the scammers, spammers, bots, "happy ending" massage girls, and the out-and-out e-whores.

I can't tell though, whether legitimate posts have declined since the so-called Craigslist Murders", or whether there are about the same number now, just seeming fewer without the huge amount of bots etc.
 Thesumofallparts
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/8/2010 10:33:40 AM

There is a remote chance you will find somebody worth finding, but you have to wade through a lot to do so. There is an aura of creepiness about those personals and some are just plain sad.

So... what's the difference between this site and CL again? I see the exact same things here. Creepers, weirdos, crybabies and stalkers are all over the internet and real life. I'll maintain my position that these sites are merely a sampling of the population at large.
 34realwoman
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/8/2010 8:26:18 PM
I knew a few friends who went on some dates with people they met from CL. Although these dates didn't work out, I don't think CL is generally much worse than POF or other dating sites. Many dating sites will have people that are crazy, jerks, married etc
 whenwillthiswork26
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 9:52:44 PM
I put an ad on there once and got every non english speaking Guatamalan
and Mexican in south Florida answering me,
not that there's anything wrong with that.
 HardwoodFloorBoard
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2010 10:32:47 AM
^^^^Was your ad in Spanish? Or could they read English, but not speak it? And if they could read it, why couldn't they e-mail you in English?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/11/2010 11:32:07 AM
Here's another thing I found while surfing CL with my coffee. There are a lot of men in my area that are either single and looking to date (and have profiles on other dating sites as well) or married and looking to cheat that also post in the male for male section looking to either give or recieve sexual favors. Interesting how much matches up when you scan both pages. I feel bad for wives who are sitting somewhere having no idea their husband is hitting a bathhouse on the DL on his lunch break. Ick.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What about the personal ads on Craigslist?