Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 114
Must be college educated?Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Hmmm. Interesting. My blonde hair still doesn't explain how Einstein GRADUATED from the Polytechnik Institute in Zurich. (Graduated, as in, had a degree).
 spiderette
Msg: 115
Must be college educated?
Posted: 8/23/2008 6:25:27 PM
I don't know how men feel about it, but I'm just not attracted to men who don't have a lot (and I mean beyond college) of education. Just doesn't do it for me.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/23/2008 9:03:40 PM
Oh, snap Mish Man!

And don't forget, "iowadoc" may act as if having a "good job" is preferable in his mind to having an education, yet he works in the "medical profession," he's nicknamed himself "doc" and odds are, he isn't one.

Maybe there's an iowa surgeon on line, who can remove that chip from iowadoc's shoulder?
 Pete73052
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:07:51 AM
I like em dumb... that way I can keep several going at once...
 o76923
Msg: 122
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:14:01 AM
Alot of people here have been seeming to say that you don't have to go to college to prove that you are smart.

However, going to college with the intent of grad school proves that you are smart, dedicated, and have some desire to keep learning. On top of that, anyone working towards doctoral work in a field other than medicine or law is doing so pretty much purely for a love of learning. Outside law and health-care, there isn't an appreciable difference in pay-grade, hours, quality of work, or ease of application. So you either have to be an ego maniac who just wants to be called doctor, or you have to have a genuine love of learning.

That love of learning is what I'm looking for. It's why I am alot more cautious of someone who doesn't have college listed without a good explanation.
 Pete73052
Msg: 123
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:28:04 AM

However, going to college with the intent of grad school proves that you are smart, dedicated, and have some desire to keep learning.

Wow... is that the type of "proof" they require in schools these days?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 124
Posted: 8/25/2008 12:33:29 PM
^^^^The word "prove" has several meanings:

1archaic : to learn or find out by experience
2 a: to test the truth, validity, or genuineness of b: to test the worth or quality of; specifically : to compare against a standard —sometimes used with up or out c: to check the correctness of (as an arithmetic result)
3 a: to establish the existence, truth, or validity of (as by evidence or logic) b: to demonstrate as having a particular quality or worth
4: to show (oneself) to be worthy or capable

Try inserting #4 in the above and reading the post again.
 Pete73052
Msg: 125
Posted: 8/25/2008 2:14:59 PM
OK, let's try it.

"However, going to college with the intent of grad school shows that you are worthy or capable, that you are smart, dedicated, and have some desire to keep learning. "

Well, the sentence works better. Still not true though. And no, I don't believe that's the meaning our friend was going for... (I think #3) but I could be wrong... there's a first for everything.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 126
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:39:48 PM
Pete,

Nice job of editing that sentence.
 Pete73052
Msg: 127
Posted: 8/25/2008 3:56:19 PM

Just because someone's been to college (graduated) doesn't mean they aren't a moron.

If they go to Oxford, are they Oxymorons?
 o76923
Msg: 128
Posted: 8/25/2008 4:28:45 PM
I'm actually a fan of the edit job on the sentence too, thanks pete.

Also, zopz, you are trying to claim that because the converse of a statement is false, the original statement is false. Actually, the converse of a true statement isn't always true.

It is possible to be smart and never come within 50 miles of a classroom. However, grad schools don't just hand out masters degrees like toilet paper (yet). I honestly do not believe it is possible to get a degree from a grad school without hard work and intelligence. I also believe that if you are willing to go to school for an extra couple years to get a doctoral that it shows a desire to learn. 2 years of working your ass off for a reward that boils down to an average increase in income of less than $5k just doesn't seem worth it to me. So, I'm assuming that they do it for a love of learning.

None of this is to say that you can't have a desire to learn without going to college. It's just that you have to show me that you have that desire to learn, whereas someone who is on a grad school trek has already sufficiently demonstrated it to me.
 Pete73052
Msg: 129
Posted: 8/25/2008 5:29:08 PM
Wasn't it Mark Twain that said something like "I never let schooling get in the way of my education"...

2 years of working your ass off for a reward that boils down to an average increase in income of less than $5k just doesn't seem worth it to me. So, I'm assuming that they do it for a love of learning.

Wouldn't that be "proof" that they're idiots?
 o76923
Msg: 130
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:06:13 PM
I never said anything about wanting a partner who was good with money. I just want someone that will keep me intellectually stimulated while we're stuck in debtor's prison.
 Pete73052
Msg: 131
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:07:57 PM
What makes you believe other viewpoints necessarily have validity in them? Just curious... as I'm sure you can tell... I've mostly been asking questions. - that's how we unwashed masses learn things... well, that and watching our cell mates pile boxes up to get the banana.
 Pete73052
Msg: 132
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:34:53 AM
Just because it is a viewpoint other than yours, or other than mine, for example, it does not necessarily mean it has validity. Not all viewpoints do. However, many valid viewpoints on this issue have been made on this thread, for both sides of the issue.

Wouldn't that be an opinion?

Being able to recognize which viewpoints have and and do not have validity: primarily valid arugments are based on logic, reasoning and evidence.

I agree!

I believe an intelligent person is able to see and accept that any issue has more than one valid aspect to it. That is, nothing is black and white; everything is complex and has many facets. Being able to recognize, appreciate, understand and respect the varying sides of any issue is, to me, an indication of intelligence.

I agree with that too. However, the "validity" of the expression that "one must go to school in order to be educated" or "intelligent" (in another thread) is what I'm questioning... you see... I question the primary statement made in the OP. So naturally, it would seem that no "valid" viewpoints from opposing sides are being taken objectively - since the premise that one must be college educated to be intelligent (e.g. date-worthy for someone who is also college educated) is what is indeed being discussed here.
 Pete73052
Msg: 133
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:39:13 AM
BTW, another question: Has anyone debated/expressed to anyone's satisfaction that a college education is required for or even an indicator of intelligence - and that the lack of a college education is an indicator of the lack of intelligence?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 134
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:07:53 AM
I don't think anyone is trying to win an argument here, just stating their own preferences. The people who read the thread will probably not all go register for college, nor will they drop out based on the opinions in this thread.

It's just a sampling of some people's views so that, whatever your view point is, you can see which viewpoints are the same or compatible with your own.

For me, I prefer a college educated man. I tend more toward a guy with a scientific background than anything else, even though I do not have a science degree. There is a style of approaching issues and thinking about the world that I find is a nice compliment to my style. Now, is every guy with a PhD in some scientific area a genius? No. Are they all compatible with me? Also no. Do they make a ton of money? Definitely no. But when I find a guy with such a background and we do click, we seem to enjoy a general harmony that lasts a long time and it's not filled with endless nit-picky arguments designed to constantly show how smart they are.

Everyone on here has a different ideal in mind. Sharing our specific, personal ideals is just a way to break the monotony of useless generalizations about what guys, generally, think women, generally are looking for in a man (or vice-versa).
 Pete73052
Msg: 136
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:43:40 PM
It's just a sampling of some people's views so that, whatever your view point is, you can see which viewpoints are the same or compatible with your own.

I'm sorry... it sounds to me, then, that this should have been a poll question. If everyone's views are stuck where they are, and it's just a matter of weighing in - college or no college, then why discuss any of this?

Maybe it's a product of not being college educated, but I haven't become stuck in my views yet... how about you?
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 137
Posted: 8/26/2008 2:44:47 PM
tell me what other countries you've lived in and how you felt about them. Getting out of Dodge and surviving it is a major education.

I've also lived all over Europe for short periods. But best of all, I like Odessa. I was there during their "orange revolution" and the fact that the entire government was sporadically nonexistant for quite a while didn't seem shake anyone up too much. They are very resiliant and self reliant people. (My landlady, who was about 60 years old, would spend the day working, come home, cook up a storm and after dinner, head out to the nightclubs near the beach at Arkadia in her red high-heels and dance up a storm. She'd stay out later than me! Also, compare to the Russians, they get all the good weather and all the good food in Odessa being so close to the black sea.

Of course, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it much or ever even had the idea to go, if I hadn't taken Russian language and history classes in college.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:16:05 PM
1) Don't let one guy's preferences ruin your experience here. It's his loss.
As long as you value yourself, what others say is moot.
2) Going to college does not mean as much as it did once upon a time. Today, even a chimpanzee can get a degree.
 Pete73052
Msg: 139
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:50:36 PM
Today, even a chimpanzee can get a degree.

^^^ Good point. Colleges at least try to hold some control how ridiculous the information they dispense is. Clearly, we can't learn something from every chimp with an opinion on a subject.
 Pete73052
Msg: 140
Looking for a Longshoreman.
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:13:49 PM
^^^Instead of counting sheep, try counting long shear men...
 Invictus01
Msg: 141
Posted: 8/26/2008 8:40:01 PM
It would be interesting to see the percentage of people in this thread who bash college education even though they never went to college or left a couple of semesters into it.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:07:02 PM
Well, the service is a great education in itself, there's no doubt but it's not for everyone. I had a friend in high school, who in fact dropped out and eventually joined the air force. When we were kids, he was the most beligerent jack ass ever, always picking fights, always arrested for the most improbable screw ups ever, drank too much, did everything too much and had the thickest head on the planet. Total wise ass. It was all black and white, right and wrong, his way or no way at all. So he googled me 10 years later, while back from iraq, stationed at fort dix. I thought, oh geez, not this guy! He was insufferable in high school, I can't imagine him now, but we were friends as kids, and he's on active duty and all, so, what could I do, right? Anyway, he came up to boston one weekend and I couldn't believe how much hed changed for the better. Particularly being in the ground and dealing with locals in afghanistan and then iraq eased up all the dogmatic thinking he used to rely on so exclusively and got him very focused on people and how to understand them and actually get along with them. (He couldn't stop bragging about rugs he haggled for). The air force sent him for language training where he met a girl and actually got married "gasp"

But like I say, that kind of education is not for everyone, even though its great for some. My own options as a woman in the military would be somewhat limited, for example, (because I'd probably get thrown in the brink within 4 months for insubordination :)whereas in the liberal northeast, so conscious to promote and develop womens potential, with a suitcase full of degrees, I can do anything I like, from crossing over into various careers, scholarship to community volunteering with great programs here or abroad. But the key to all that is getting degrees for me, so someone who doesn't see that as a necessary or desirable pursuit will not support me in those endeavors, that have been and will continue being a big part of my life. Almost everyone on this thread who didn't finish college said it was silly to bother with it. So how could I carve a few hours out from those few I have after work to drag myself to classes, only to come home and hear about what a waste of time it is?
 Pete73052
Msg: 145
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:14:41 PM

Holding a degree can and does seperate you from the pack. Going to college and graduating is also a right of passage.

Huh? So college is kinda like a bar mitzvah?

Without a bachelors degree you can't go on for a masters degree.

Wait... let me think about that a while... OK, got it.

What the hell kind of education to you think teachers are required to have. Masters, that's what and also certifications. Wanna piss on that?

That's news to me actually. I know lots of teachers who don't have master's degrees. Where are you getting your information? I'd like to piss on the source.

Oh wait, you'd rather have HS graduates teaching your kids and preparing them for the competitive job market.

I'd rather my kids learn to think freely for themselves. Maybe HS grads would be better teachers... maybe people without an education at all would be better teachers. I don't see any benefit in pigeonholing them into careers.

You want your doctor to be well educated huh? Oh wait, no that's right you'd piss on his higher level of education as well.

Actually, I don't think doctors are very smart. If I did my job as hit-or-miss as a doctor does his, I can assure you I would be out of a job. Some jobs, unlike doctoring, leave no room for mistakes... just sayin'.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >