Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 30
HILLARY COULD HAVE BEEN NOMINEE, IF NOT FOR EDWARDSPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think that the outing of John Edwards affair would have helped Obama, not Hillary. Edwards is to the left of Obama, and Obama is to the left of Hillary.

What would have derailed Obama is if the Wright thing blew up while Hillary was still a viable candidate. She started doing a lot better in the primaries afterwards.

Unfortunately, timing is everything in politics -- or at least, it's a lot.

And I'm hugely happy about Hillary not getting the VP slot. Hopefully Obama will pick some liberal dweeb and send the moderates and independents packing to vote for McCain.
 exodusi1
Msg: 32
view profile
History
HILLARY COULD HAVE BEEN NOMINEE, IF NOT FOR EDWARDS
Posted: 8/14/2008 7:32:31 AM
Every once in a Blue Moon, we agree Fly. . .

DK is left of JE is left of Obama is left of Hillary.

Hillary and McCain use to be about even on the political spectrum, but McCain has moved a long ways to the right for this election.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 7:38:29 AM

I could have won a golf tournament yesterday if not for a strong wind that made me miss a birdie putt on the 18th hole.

So the point is...move on already!
 StrangerInTheHouse
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/14/2008 8:16:27 AM

I am a Republican as you all know, but I am voting for Obama

Wow... that's incredible...
That's GOOD, in my opinion.
I support Obama for the same reasons, although I generally vote democrat. I agree about Hillary's veracity... but what puts me off most about her is her arrogance. I don't like that idea that she can just buck the party or whomever every time she gets a notion. That's kind of like what we have now...
This is not a comment on anyone's politics, but it's the personal style of Leon Trotsky... all this cloistered decision making and stuff.
I want a government that's more transparent and directly accountable for what they say and do. I don't want to be forced to "trust their leadership" when they openly lie as much as they do.
I'm hoping Obama will bring that.
I like his style... Although he's changed his position on afew things, it's always well thought out and he's open about his reasons for doing what he does.
The jury is still out. Nobody knows if he'll be a good leader or not, but I believe so far that he'll be more like that than McCain.. or Hillary...
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:49:39 AM

Hillary and McCain use to be about even on the political spectrum, but McCain has
moved a long ways to the right for this election.

Well so has Obama (moved to the right). They will both go back to their respective
positions once the election is over.
 faith2565
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 4:12:37 PM
That statement (to me) sounded a little arrogant. It was very insensitive. When my mother told me about the statement I could not believe it, then I heard it with my own ears.

She would have started getting my respect if she had been more sympathetic towards his wife, being she was in a similar situation.

Me, myself and I would have just kept quiet.

Obama 08

faith2565
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 3:45:05 PM
Latest article related to this topic.
========================
Did John Edwards Cost Hillary Clinton the White House? Probably.

By Duane Wells | Article Date: 8/12/2008 3:10 PM
Forget blaming husband Bill Clinton. Hillary Clinton ought to give John Edwards a good dressing down the next time she sees him, because the wayward former political hero could very well have played a huge part in changing the fate of her historic race for the White House.

Across party lines, politicians are inextricably linked to scandal these days. That’s just the way it is. That said, all scandals are not created equal, nor are the effects of each equivalent.

Case in point, the current uproar surrounding the extra-marital affair former U.S. senator and presidential contender, John Edwards, admitted to having last week while seeking the Democratic presidential nomination.

Like so many others before it, the Edwards scandal may ultimately be looked upon as more than merely the beginning of the downfall of a once bright and shining political star. It could well become an event with ripple effects on both the political process and Washington's political structure that will be examined for years to come.

More specifically, John Edwards’ affair, coupled with the lack of reporting on it, will without question forever be examined by political historians as a potentially game changing factor in the 2008 race for the Democratic presidential nomination and the fate of those vying for it.

This week on Fox News, Sen. Hillary Clinton’s former communications director, Howard Wolfson, intimated that Edwards dishonesty about his adulterous relationship with Rielle Hunter allowed him to stay in the running to become the Democratic Party’s nominee and, in the process, siphon off votes that ultimately weakened Hillary Clinton’s campaign in Iowa and subsequent states.

“We would have won Iowa, and Clinton today would therefore have been the nominee,” Wolfson says, examining what might have happened if the news of Edwards affair had forced the North Carolina politician out of the race for the White House prior to the Iowa caucus.

That sentiment has been echoed by another Clinton campaign surrogate, James Carville, who said, “My instinct tells me that she probably would have done better had Senator Edwards not been on the ballot in Iowa, but that wasn't the circumstances at the time.”

The fact of the matter is, we will never know exactly what might have happened if John Edwards had not been in the race early on, but we can say with relative certainty that his presence certainly affected its outcome in some way, especially in light of recent revelations.
=============================
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/17/2008 4:08:38 PM
I'm not surprised that Clinton's communications director is saying this. Every analyst has examined the body and concluded that the campaign was just terrible. He's trying to salvage his own career as much as his reputation at this point.

But heading into Iowa, Hillary was cruising to victory. She crashed there coming in third. Clearly this was a vote against Hillary at least as much as a first and second place finish for Obama and Edwards. If Edwards had dropped out, the vast majority of those who voted for him would have gone to Obama.
 faith2565
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 5:55:41 PM
It is coming to an end for Hillary. Today, she was on the 'Black State of America' and I guess she had not remembered the video released of her speaking to the group of women. She was calling for unity and pity on people like Sheila Jackson Lee that supported her and are now up for re-election.
 Strongdad
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/17/2008 6:25:26 PM
Yes. It is over for the Clintons. Thank the gop.

Now, its Obama's turn.

My plan is working. Mwaaaa haaa haaaa.

Where is Michael Myers when you need him?
 faith2565
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2008 6:15:39 PM
Then Biden entered the scence (Keeper of all secrets great and small, friend to all and foe to none).
 faith2565
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Hillary's followers and Bill helped lose and continue
Posted: 8/24/2008 10:06:42 AM
You guys this is really over. Move on!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >