Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Money Subject... Again :rolleyes:      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jsphn11
Msg: 1
Money Subject... Again :rolleyes: Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
It's not a dating question, but I just would like opinions of an older crowd. What are you going to do if you live longer then predicted? I mean if you already spent all your retirement money, and are still alive?
 clasact
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Money Subject... Again :rolleyes:
Posted: 8/13/2008 6:34:58 PM
*looks around*

Hmm, I guess I AM in that "older crowd" now......just never think of me being one of "the older crowd"....

Me? Spend all my money? That would never happen!

But lets just say it did.....I would still garden and whatever else and just go with it. I'm very resourceful, always have been, always will be. Perhaps the dogs could get a job. I'm always tellin' them they need to contribute more to the household. If I would run out of money, what's the worst that can happen? They can't kill you...
 Karrpilot
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 7:01:26 PM
I just hope i get some retirement money. I quit one job before i was vested in the 401K account. Another i was laid off just prior to getting vested in the union's pension. With my luck, i might never get a chance to retire.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/13/2008 7:24:44 PM

It's not a dating question, but I just would like opinions of an older crowd. What are you going to do if you live longer then predicted? I mean if you already spent all your retirement money, and are still alive?

...Well by then I'm hoping to have found myself a sweetie who hasn't used all of his retirement money and we will live happily ever after in the retirement home somewhere in Florida.

...maeflowers
 clasact
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 7:31:40 PM
Or the alternative to my message #6 .......what *mae*^^^ suggests.
However, Ima beatin' you to Florida.........I'll be a resident there next year.
 Miss W
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/13/2008 7:59:53 PM
^^Have fun in FL ladies! I was there last year visiting relatives and we went to a party, where the "fun" was taking blood pressure...I kid you not and my relatives were highly embarrassed, but at least I learned that my blood pressure wasn't bad. I actually had a fun visit and have asked my sister to find me someone old and rich so that I could "play" with her and her friends instead of having to work....of course this was all said with the tongue planted firmly in my cheek. No kids and hopefully, my friends' kids adore me enough to look after me...otherwse, I am at the mercy of the public. Hopefully, I won't be able to remember. Humor aside, I do know of people without heirs who are having to be taken care of and friends who have extended care policies.
 Sapphireeyes
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/13/2008 9:03:11 PM
Being broke isnt as bad as some people make it out to be...you end up appreciating more things and not taking things for granted. Being poor in spirit, health, mental outlook...then ya got problems.
 moraima
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:34:43 AM
I plan to die with a zero bank balance and my credit cards maxed. I am the last of my kind, so it is not like I have anyone to leave it to. If there is anything it will go to charity.
 SueCat51
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 4:05:59 PM
My crystal ball blew up, therefore I can't predict how long I'll live. Now about my lifestyle, I figure I'll buy a tent from REI, have my flip flops, shorts, and t-shirt, and have a rum punch stand. Ooooh, I'll be right off the beach in Belize.
 STH III
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 4:13:21 PM
I will have to live on SS and retirement from the county govt I work for but I don't think I will be able to retire until my upper sixties. I want to pay my house off before then and if I can do that I think I will be OK. Now if I could find Ms. Wonderful and she has some bucks,lol.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 5:24:07 PM
Well, let's see....hopefully my pension fund won't go broke...social security won't go broke....and my parents won't go broke before they leave me a nice inheritance LOL! Aside from that....I hear cat food ain't so bad once you get used to the smell!
 Celticmist
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:50:12 AM
I really never needed a lot in the way of material goods. One of my favourite pair of running shoes has a hole in them and I can't bear to throw them away. LOL

I was also lucky enough to have retired from a job that gave me a good pension, and is indexed to cost of living. Add that to the fact I live in Canada where health care is paid for, and good drug & dental plans from my job that I opted to keep when I retired - I should be ok.
 Ron9
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/15/2008 10:42:10 AM
While I don’t have all that much these days. I was lucky enough to have made buckets of money a few times in my life. That got me the “memories” of travel - nice cars / boats / houses / big diamonds (for the money hungry first wife) and the first hand knowledge of “how the other half lives”.

So ..... been there done that (don’t have the tee shirt anymore it wore out).

I’ve been self employed for ........ around 100 years now (35 years) - no one person or company can ...... umm downsize me (fire me for being too old). I also work out of a home office so - work related expenses are pretty nonexistent. Good thing too ... right now business on nonexistent.

PLAN A:

I have worked my fanny off researching 74,000 companies. IF IF IF manufacturing ever comes back to the USA (even mildly picks up) I am positioned to make some decent money again.

My hopes are ..... the greedy CEOs finally realize putting so many Americans out of work by out sourcing their jobs ....... has ended up killing their potential customers off in their own country. The USA is actually a big market ........ duh - wake up greedy CEOs.

Also .... all this talk of “going green” will have some manufacturing going on. The types of companies that all this research (4 years of research) will be involved in (read need employees).

Work from home office - prepared and ready for any “come back” in American manufacturing ........ looking pretty decent (hopefully).

My work is also very mobile. All I need is a internet connection - computer (my vast files) and phone.

My potential mobile office is out in the driveway (motor home). Combine travel with some phone calls ...... not a bad life.

PLAN B:

If American manufacturing NEVER comes back at all - I still have enough information to potentially make at least SOME money. I built this house like a tank - I still like it - don’t owe much on it.

If I never made another nickel ..... I can still live ok just on social security. My monthly expenses is less than what I will get. If the gove goes belly up ......... oh chit .........

PLAN C:

If all goes to hell - which would include the government going out of business (some fluke happens and Geo Bush stays the President or Cheney gets in the office somehow or if McCain is the same old big business whore - which he is) .......

I have kept that motor home to .............. live in. I think I could park it at my nephews - he has a good sized spread just a few miles south of me.

PLAN D:

I don’t have any natural kids but .... I have two step daughters that love me dearly. BOTH of them have made it clear - I would be welcome to live with either of them. They are both married to good guys (that also like me) both fully educated - both have nice houses - and bright futures.

I am going with Plan A - for now
 jsphn11
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/15/2008 6:11:09 PM
OK, boys and girls, I am not ready to retire yet. I still have a lot of long working years to go.

Actually, I was talking about the time when you are really old and can't work. Not 70, but let's say 85. What are your options?
 itechman63
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2008 11:00:27 AM
A few weeks ago I sat at dinner with an aunt and uncle and my older brother went on with his elaborate plans for his retirement. After about 20 minutes they turned to me and asked me what my plans were for retirement.

I spit my drink out and laughed and laughed. Retire? That was a good one.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Money Subject... Again :rolleyes: