Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 x_file
Msg: 26
Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Now the woman has filed a lawsuit for 25 million dollars. What is your opinion on such a lawsuit? . Seems life a slam dunk case to me, But I'm no lawyer.

Stories like that makes it harder and harder to trust people by the day. I'm not lawyer either, but it does seem like a slam dunk case.
 lawgeek74
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.
Posted: 8/15/2008 12:06:28 PM
This is hardly a slam dunk case. I was wondering if she could recover any damages until I learned she could not work.

I can see where the wife could have trouble proving that it was the husbands actions that brought about her her case of HPV. She does have damages definitely, but she needs to prove that the husband gave her the virus. The burden of proof in civil cases is lower. This HPV could have been in her system for some time prior to her husband infidelity or she could have had other lovers. Even if the husband had HPV, it does not preclude her getting it independently of his actions outside the marriage. This would be an interesting case to follow.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/15/2008 12:24:44 PM
Does the husband even have 25 million dollars? And hpv is very common, it's not like HIV or HSV.
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 3:38:36 PM
I have a friend her husband cheated on her when he went to SE Asia went to prostitutes.. and now she has a form of Herpes that is more common in that part of the world.

Thing of it is.. he abandoned her.. and she filed for divorce but never got compensation for the STD.. but has to deal with it every few months..

She is a nurse too..

Anyway I think it is sad that a man can't use a condom.. when he is cheating on his wife.. that protects everyone.

sheesh.
 SueCat51
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 4:06:23 PM
I doubt if I'd award her any money. However, if she did a number on his pecker, I don't think I'd find her guilty. If I were in a relationship and my fella cheated on me, I'd tell him "there's the door, walk out that door, and don't let it hit you in the ass". It would be OVER.
 supernovastunnah
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/15/2008 4:08:44 PM
shell probably find out she has aids pretty soon....i think he should be punished for being reckless and putting someone who trusted and forgave him in further danger by ****ing countless prostitutes without protection ....to not punish him would be asinine.shell never be 100% again because she chose to forgive and trust someone which we can all say is foolish but who can blame her for wanting to try and save her marriage?I dont think someone should be punished for being a forgiving and trusting person ,however i do think someone who ****s whores without condoms should pay the price for infecting someone.
 supernovastunnah
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/15/2008 4:09:16 PM
so u support violence but not legal action???
that sounds bright.
 Wildman46
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/15/2008 5:17:24 PM
" Interesting. Should the woman bear 50% responsibility"

I say yes, Only because she stayed around after getting an STD the first time. Implied risk has to kick in at that point.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:43:38 PM
Yes of course she should win the money. The only thing she was "guilty" of was truly loving her husband. Maybe if she wins the case it will send a message to male and female cheaters. She should be able to win every cent the jerk has.
 windloverr
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 1:17:59 AM

It is estimated that 80 percent of all women – and 50 percent of men and women combined – will get one or more types of "genital" HPV at some point in their lives

This woman is a author; and suing because this has left her unable to work. Work with me here. She is one REALLY upset woman, and absolutely rightfully so, but 25 million?

Suing for giving her HPV? First off there is no way he could have known he had it. No, no good; unless she has some type of immunocompromised situation going on that he was aware of. If he KNOWINGLY gave her HIV, Herpes, Syph, or Gon, then knock yourself out. Divorce, is the only thing she can sue him for; although, going all CNN on his a$$ should make that a more profitable situation for her.

Besides, if she wins; then anybody can sue anybody who gives them an STD, of any kind; knowingly, or unknowingly.

Shoot him for cheating? Ok. Sue him for HPV? No.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/16/2008 1:54:00 AM

Now the woman has filed a lawsuit for 25 million dollars. What is your opinion on such a lawsuit?

She's not suing for nearly enough! He's got some criminal liability also. I think he needs to get locked up and away from the public. He's a danger to society.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/16/2008 2:54:25 AM

Should the woman bear some of the responsibility for sticking around after she caught him cheating the first time?

Instead of punishing her for naivete, why not reward her for trust and faith?
 GreenEyesGoldenLocks
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:00:57 AM
ok first lets put this in perspective:
HPV is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). About 75% - 90% of all people who have sex are likely to get HPV at some point in their lives. About 6 million Americans get HPV every year.

from http://www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/std/hpv.htm

granted, it sucks to be her, she married a loser but since she knew that going in I say thank her lucky stars its just hpv and not hiv and dont be so stupid next time around!
 Wildman46
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:40:58 PM
" Instead of punishing her for naivete"

One persons "naivete" is another persons stupidity, Should we go around rewarding stupidity also?
 ffryan
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:52:25 PM

What is your opinion on such a lawsuit?

Some sort of financial restitution seems appropriate. After all she'll have to undergo medical treatment and significantly adapt her lifestyle. Buthow in the world does somebody think up 25 million?
 lovergirl5
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:18:14 PM
I had to add this little story to this. I just had to.

I've been seeing a guy for a while which i thought was great until i found out that he could not commit to one person in the bedroom. Needless to say it ended. I did remain friend with this person ( ha ha for a little while) as i warned him about the possibility of diseases if no protection is taken. That guy freaked out on me!

I wanted to warn him since a friend of mine works for a pharmacy. There is a married man getting meds for HIV. I do not know if this man was infected before or during marriage but his current wife DOES NOT know that he has HIV. The pharmacy is instructed not to call him home for his medication as this is his request.

And the wife ? Sheesh, I would not want to be in her shoes. She may be infected now and she does not even know. Sad but true.

I dont blame the other woman one bit is attempting to get monetary compensation. If some men want to screw around, at least have the respect and decency to use protection.

And this friend that i tried to warn about dangers, well he's not my friend anymore.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:27:59 PM

like the guy who sued McDonald's because he wasn't smart enough to be careful with a hot cup of coffee and got burned - although he did win that one.

You're just a wealth of misinformation aren't you LMAO.

Here. Go educate yourself.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/16/2008 11:55:30 PM

The U.S court system is too involved things now, for example the Courts were set up for these functions:

1. To enforce Property rights.
2. To enforce and decide contracts over property and money.
3. Interpret the law.
4 . Handle matters of divorce, civil lawsuits, and to award damages to one party who wads directy injured by another party in a "monetary or economic" way.

In other words, technically according to Case law(which the U.S Court system is founded on based on British common law) you can only sue someone and receive compensation "IF" the compensation can be measurable due to a loss of money or property due to a certain condition such as pertaining to :your business, your property, etc.

The courts have no judical standing, constitutional standing, or common law/case law standing to award damages to an individual like this.

Being a lawyer, I'm wondering where you got this wealth of misinformation from? You've never heard of personal rights apparently.

what does contracting a STD have to do with enhancing or hurting someones economic condition or damages to their property or income? the answer? NOTHING.

It has to do with negligence and other possible intentional torts. Look it up some time or as a lawyer.

DId you know for example, that giving a legal opinion is, in many states, a misdemeanor if you're not a licensed attorney? When you make ridiculous statements such as the ones above, it's obvious that you ain't.

What this means is if a case affects ambassadors, ministers, foreign consuls, or any case where a State is directly named the party, Then the Supreme Court has the final say BUT if any of those conditions above are false, then then the Supreme Court only has appellate juristiction....Original jurisdiction is final, appellate is not... when most case are appealed to the Supreme Court, the Court assumes original jurisdiction and becomes final, but in the instances above, the Supreme Court can be over-ridden

This just gets stupider and stupider. Tell me, Perry Mason, where would you appeal a case you lost in the supreme court? Please. Don't bother answering. I'm still cleaning the coffee off my monitor after reading that rubbish. I actually think you just might believe the nonsense you're writing here.
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/17/2008 12:53:42 AM

Tell me, Perry Mason, where would you appeal a case you lost in the supreme court?

Um... I know... Hey... over here I know...

Buckingham Palace... IF you can get past the guards and Prince Charles' ears...

Wildman46
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/17/2008 7:05:04 AM
" Tell me, Perry Mason, where would you appeal a case you lost in the supreme courts? "

The court of public opinion of course, The forums on pof.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:18:27 AM

I hope she gets every penny she asks for and then some

Absolutely right on the money. Knowingly giving someone HIV is a felony in many (if not most) states as well it should be. What he did was despicable.
 southernlass
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:27:58 AM
I'm glad he's her ex husband and yes, she's more than entitled to millions in damages and it needs to be garnished from his wages so that she can immediately benefit from the money she's entitled to. She shouldn't wind up with some inane judgement that she can't do anything with.

If more people were held accountable for spreading sexual disease through promiscuity, sexual infidelity, etc., people would be much more particular about who they choose to become intimate with and marry. This would obviously be a good thing for everyone and but most especially for the institution of marriage.
 brownie360
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:52:26 AM
This is why I dont forgive cheaters. The very first time I found out about my now ex husband cheating, I left him , got a divorce and never looked back.
 flutterby56
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/18/2008 3:09:16 AM
when you get married it is to be for better or worse and if the court takes those vows literally then neither side of this issue is at fault and neither side should recieve compensation. It is all about a legally binding contract so it depends on the vows in my eyes if you want to talk literally , if you want to talk emotionally this is jacked up.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.