Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 55
Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I'd have to agree the man had a death wish.
He was cheating on his wife - legally she's entitled to half of all he owns when she leaves.
And sleeping with hookers.

Do we know if the sex was safe or not?

Where's the relevence to that?

Knowing he had contracted an STD (LOL I nearly wrote SUV!)
Knowing he had an STD is also irrelevent.

Statistics would show few men DO know they have them.

More than half don't even know nor do they WANT to know that STD's exist - as knowledge will further decrease the likelihood they might get laid.

(If I cover my eyes and can't see you then ergo I am invisible and can do anything I wish!)

He knew he was opening the door to STD's, HIV, and additionally he knew when slept with the hooker and then his wife he was sticking his****in two different women at the same time!

The man deserves what he gets simply because he's stupid.

Is there a monetary award for that?

I hope so!

Gourmetchef50
Msg: 56
Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.
Posted: 8/18/2008 12:58:29 PM
u can sue for anything..doesnt mean ur gonna 'collect'..
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/18/2008 8:21:09 PM

Hmm, well, now I have to ask though - is this about an STD, or is this about his infidelity in the marriage, or is it about medical damages?

Lets look at it from a legal precedent standpoint - suppose you are dating, in a committed relationship for, lets say 2 years, living together, but not married... one person cheats and you get an STD - according to this new legal precedent, is the other person entitled to sue for "damages"?

Legally, the answer to both questions (assuming you could prove it) is yes. Any more questions?

I agree with that, Hellofagal, however the key word (bolded by me) there is "knowingly" having sex when they had a disease. There is no test for HPV in males, ergo, how would he "know"?

Since you're obviously not a lawyer, let me enlighten you (because I am). The law can add "or should have known" to your bolded word "knowingly".

Think about this: You're standing outside of an elevator. The elevator doors are closed. You fire a machine gun into the elevator door. You kill three people inside the elevator. Do you think you could successfully defend against a murder change by saying "I didn't know anyone was in there"? Good luck.

I don't know of any legal precedent (existing case) that holds someone liable for passing on something you don't know you have.

See above.

he burden of proof there, is of course, whether he knew - which I can't see

Well, you can't see it because your basic premise is in error. It's a question of whether he KNEW or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN.
 Wildman46
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:56:38 AM
This thread has turned into legalize.....Mumbo jumbo. My eyes keeps glazing over reading all that BS.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/20/2008 10:39:26 AM

I *know* I am wielding a deadly weapon, and choosing to fire it. Yes, that is murder.

Yes but that wasn't responsive to the hypothetical. What I said was you couldn't defend against the charge based on the assertion that you didn't know anyone was in the elevator.

It was my understanding that spouses can't sue each other because the interspousal immunity doctrine.
I guess... there is a new interpretation of the tort laws.

There is no interspousal immunity any more. That common law principle has been abolished years ago.

http://www.divorcesource.com/MD/ARTICLES/skok18.html

Think about it logically. If what you said were the case, you could legally beat the hell out of your wife and there would be nothing she could do about it?

OOOOOkkkk. No more legalese . The office is now closed.
 kitkat855
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:45:38 PM
Well beyond an office affair.He was exposing her to every disease common with"professionals".Numerous accounts over these years.Do the math. He made a decision everytime he didn't use protection to expose his family.He has so little concern to both his marriage,kids, and wife, as well as his own safety.Played Russian Roulette everytime.How can another person know they are being lied to when the liar is intentionally concealing the facts.He admitted cheating in counseling.Perhaps it was already too late.Isn't infecting a person deliberatly with a fatal disease a criminal offense?He's the cheat.Let him prove she got it from someone else.She has apparently already suffered through several surgeries.He didn't know he had it.Get real.Cause and effect.You lie with dogs there's a good chance you'll get fleas.And if he did say she should die already what a horrible thing to say to a person you were supposed to love honor etc.The mother of his children.Shows his true intentions.Depraved indifference.Thats a crime.If she does die from this God help her.He should be criminally charged.Karma is a bf.Hopefully she takes him to the cleaners and survives .Then he'll be broke and won't be able to pay for sex.Hopefully he has a new form of Asian crud and his****rot's off and he dies a slow painful death.Friggin **stard.Btw Ms Doe might wanna go get a test or something.
 sarsss
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:37:16 PM
Well, one can always give the money to the charity, and, yes, definitely punish this ****er monetarily as he deserves it and much more!!!
 DDTlike007
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/24/2008 4:57:48 PM
The HIV infected wife should have talk to her states attorney and get her HIV infected husbund charged with attempted murder for affecting her,then when the wife dies from AIDS ,then the charge should be upgraded to first degree murder,being the husband probably knew he had AIDS or condone ,promoted his reckless sexual activities which resulted in his HIV infection infecting his wife.
 gtomustang
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/14/2013 7:44:45 PM
what is the $25 million amount based on, an inability to earn that over a lifetime?

likely, its b/c he has that much to get. perhaps that's the reason she stayed? :)lol

Its a pity what happened, but capeat emptor. You cannot save people from themselves, tho there's a market for it :)
 the_biggavell
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/23/2013 1:08:54 PM
Then you'd have angry and irate women the world over that dont understand what men are, suing people..
It would set in motion the notion that such things as "side piece" would be illegal.

Women would run out the woodwork, money hungry lol.

Learn the animal you are dealing with or else charge it to the game of life.... dude is gross though.
 Archiver
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/23/2013 5:16:32 PM
I wonder how the suit turned out. I'll bet it was dismissed. Can anyone find out?
 DragonBits
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/23/2013 5:37:58 PM
Ten years ago, the Maine Supreme Judicial Court ruled that a wife who sued her philandering husband for giving her HPV, the human papillomavirus, was not entitled to a judgment largely because he had no physical symptoms of HPV infection, had no medical diagnosis of HPV infection and could not have known he was infected — if he ever was.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27203560/ns/health-sexual_health/t/intimate-lawsuits-bedroom-courtroom/#.UrjlWWex7Vk

But other lawsuits have been successful.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/29/2013 7:05:45 PM
Well, at the very least she is creating work for lawyers, judges, clerks, etc, which is good for the economy.
That said, 25 million for an std is a bit much. Makes me kinda wish I got hpv from someone. That is a good payout.
 TheGuy1970
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/3/2014 8:40:58 AM
25 million seems like a reach especially since she knew he was a cheater. They cheat kick them to the curb plain and simple
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/3/2014 1:16:31 PM
If finding out a SO has a STD is so difficult, how does one find out how much the person is worth?? We all know that Billy Gates is a billionaire, and Hugh Hefner has a few million... but the average joe is lucky to have a home, much less $25 million in the bank that one could get at.
 cesska
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2014 7:01:39 PM
good for her for having the balls to sue

but the lawyers are the only ones who get rich in a suit
 sigungq
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2014 5:22:51 PM
I wonder if the OP's ex actually HAS $25 million? Otherwise, she's wasting her time.
 aero1126
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 8:16:59 PM
If he didn't know he had an STD, OR they can not prove he knew about the STD then there is no case. Look at it this way, lets say you are working on your car trying to fix it yourself. In the process you accidentally damage the breaks without you knowing. You then go an pick up a friend and the brakes fail and the friend gets injured. That wouldn't be a crime. Now if you knew the brakes were messed up and you still picked up your friend then that would be a totally different situation. I'm sure some of you are now thinking "well he cheated and their was risk he could catch something". That doesn't matter, because although cheating is morally wrong, it isn't against the law.

With that being said, even if he knew it still most likely wouldn't matter because she stayed with him after knowing about the first incident and lets be honest, do you really think she didn't know it was still happening until 10 years after the fact? Basically, it's like smoking for a decade knowing the risks and then trying to sue the cigarette company when you get cancer. It simply isn't going to happen.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2014 10:13:40 AM
Can anyone furnish a link to the original article?
I see a lot of blog posts and such but no papers or articles.

Sounds kind of like an urban legend to me.
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/6/2014 10:43:43 AM
^^^I think it was in every other issue of the National Inquirer since 1988.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2014 11:01:22 AM
Still not 25,000,000 for HPV...Im beginning to think this is BS.
 Midwest_Southwest2
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/7/2014 7:19:57 AM
... there would have to be proof "beyond the shadow of a doubt..."

That is is not the burden of proof, and it isn't even a real burden of proof in any case, criminal or civil.

Its a pity what happened, but capeat emptor. You cannot save people from themselves, tho there's a market for it :)

Then you'd have angry and irate women the world over that dont understand what men are, suing people..

Learn the animal you are dealing with or else charge it to the game of life.... dude is gross though.

Have to agree with the Biggavell on the point that you have to “learn the animal you are dealing with” but I think- or hope- that there are men who do not take a caveat emptor perspective toward other people or who do not assume that men are essentially cons and users to get what they can regardless of what harm they cause.

I know that there are men of caring and integrity, so I find the caveat emptor attitude and the assumption about “what men are” very sad.

Just suing him probably accomplishes all that she wants to accomplish, whether she wins/won or not- outing a manipulative liar who harms others.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/7/2014 5:53:52 PM
sigungq- Exactly what I was thinking. Even if she wins, if he has nothing to take she can't collect.
True story, I had a distant cousin that was at fault in a wreck that caused severe injury to the woman he hit. She sued him and won. He quit his job and worked "under the table" jobs from then on, she never got a dime.
My cousin and the guy that gave this woman the std are both scum, but I'm not in favor of what is increasingly becoming a "sue happy" country.
What's next? He/she left me, broke my heart, so I'm going to sue, we better not go there.
 Proteaus
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/8/2014 6:35:50 AM
To Opp : Funny thing is she is probably suing him for the std he caught from her while she was being unfaithful .
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Wife sues soon to be Ex-husband for 25 million for giving her an STD.