Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
No. I mean, i lived without one for years. But they do come extremely in handy when you have to have one for emergenices. Some times the nearist pay phone could be 20 miles away or longer.
 Padawan61
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????
Posted: 8/27/2008 8:43:25 PM
I wouldn't want my cell phone to be my primary phone like some people do, as researchers are discovering it may cause brain cancer with constant long term use

That has yet to be proven. And if you use a cordless phone, you may get brain cancer too. There are always some study going on about how everything is going to kill us all

I even heard that we might all die eventually despite all precautions

Imagine that ... and I thought I would live forever. Dang those pesky cellphones.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2009 6:48:38 PM
Most definitely. I think it's rather pathetic how so many people are so attached to their cell phones. What's even worse is when parents buy their 10 yr old kids cell phones. I have a pre-paid cell phone that I carry with me maybe 20% of the time. Most of the time it just sits in my truck. I'm not that important; I don't need to be available to people every minute of the day.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/11/2009 9:32:05 PM
~OT~ I didn't think I could until I'd finally had enough of the constant barrage of calls which lead me to "disconnect" mode. That was May of last year and the only time I have missed it was when I was traveling and stranded in horrific weather.
 helpimstuck
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/11/2009 9:36:42 PM
yes... .. i rather not have one but company makes me have one... not that i answer it when they call..
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/12/2009 7:33:13 AM
I can survive without a cell phone. But I do not want to. Just the same as the internet, car or indoor toilet.

I do not have home phone. I use cell for US call and Skype or IM voice chat for international.
 moneyforyou
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/12/2009 8:18:16 AM
yes of course you NEED one, for such urgent uses as calling home and saying: "yes now I'm at the corner of Fifth and Broad", "oh, now I'm at the corner of 6th and Broad" -constant update.

OR: when you go to the grocery store, walk around and ask the constant URGENT questions, such as:

"should I get thee 14- oz. can or the 19-oz. can of green peas?"

"should I get a watermelon or a cantaloupe?"

SOoooooooo much better than doing something STUPID & old-fashioned like talking before you go to the store, or RIDICULOUSLY old-fashioned, liek making a shopping list..

plus the added benefit of pretending to people who can't hear the actual conversation, that you are talking about something earth-shatteringly important..:

"yes I think to re-stimulate the economy, Secretary, we should..what's that? the President's on hold for me in the Situation Room? OK, got to go!"

bwahahaha..

~OT~ I didn't think I could until I'd finally had enough of the constant barrage of calls which lead me to "disconnect" mode. That was May of last year and the only time I have missed it was when I was traveling and stranded in horrific weather.

in which case, when you REALLY needed it, it probably wouldn't work due to weather conditions, or so many thousands of people ALSO experiencing a 'crisis' at the same time, the available circuits would be overloaded..busy signal or "no signal available"..

when the electricity grid shut down in North-east US & Eastern-Central Canada in summer 2003, most people found their cell phones were useless
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2009 9:33:36 AM
Yes but it would suck if you are out some where and you had to go find a pay phone just to call someone about something.

Sortin
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 7:58:49 AM

Yes but it would suck if you are out some where and you had to go find a pay phone just to call someone about something.

Gosh, we managed just fine without them when we were kids.

Before cell phones, there were pay phones everywhere.
 Amma63
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/13/2009 10:20:13 AM
I would much rather NOT have a cell phone - but my job dictates otherwise.

It is not attached to my hip, so quite often I do leave it behind when I leave the house, which annoys my girls................oh well - I'm out running errands and getting groceries - any idle 'chit chat' will just have to wait till I get home.

Mind you - it WAS nice to have when the kids started High School - it was easier to keep tabs on them then.

B.
 chameleonf
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/13/2009 2:22:35 PM
Yup....I can exist without one. The proof being I don't have one and I'm still existing.
 Amma63
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/13/2009 2:41:08 PM
Not The Cable Guy..........

"She Who Must Be Obeyed"

Thank you for allowing me to spit my coffee all over my keyboard.............

I am taking your line and giving it to my Brother - with your permission, of course!!~

B.
 whytwater
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/13/2009 6:12:26 PM

Well, its Vday and i almost wish i didnt have one

I don't. Brain tumors. Maybe. Just not willin' to take that chance.

Spencer Tracy played Clarence Darrow in an old black and white called Inherit the Wind. Great movie. He has all the lines. At one point, he talks about trade-offs. You can have airplanes, but the clouds will smell like gasoline. And you can have a telephone, but you lose the charm of distance.
Yeah, I have a land line. I operate a business and I need it for that reason. But a ring is a command to pick it up, and that doesn't sit well with me.
But when I'm on the road, or walking a trail, I want that distance, that sorta quiet time. No thanks, I don't need the world strapped to my waist. Tethering me. There's only room for one other.
 Sortin
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2009 9:09:15 PM

Well, its Vday and i almost wish i didnt have one. Then i wouldnt worry if it rang or not.

Maybe you should invest in one that works in both directions.
 LexyAlexia
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/14/2009 5:50:37 AM

I defiantly don't want people to have the ability to contact me anytime they want I would rather not have the interruptions all day long..

I do not understand why so many say this. It is very simple to turn off the cell phone if you do not wish people to call you.

but then again I might get an IPhone but mostly for everything except the phone part

Is an Ipod Touch
 shmodzilla
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/14/2009 6:42:56 AM
It is very understandable to me how for many people a cell makes daily life much easier and more productive. I understand that. Now on the flip side it annoys me to death that the other half of the population seems to be the ones that simply would die if they forgot their cell. It was hardly 10 years ago when cells became affordable and actually worked,people act like the world would stop without them. I have one over a land line because it is cheaper than a land line and i have it in case of an emergency,otherwise i could care less. Half the time i need to make a call i have to find my phone first.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:02:51 AM
I tossed my cel phone two months ago. I didn't really need one before, and I don't miss mine right now. I wonder why I event paid for one of those damned things for so long.
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:07:07 AM

"She Who Must Be Obeyed"

Thank you for allowing me to spit my coffee all over my keyboard.............

I am taking your line and giving it to my Brother - with your permission, of course!!~

Ah yes, brings back some memories. I think I'll stick another poll up at jeffersonforum.net and see what people think...
 kbodley
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 10:04:38 AM
Whytewater, you named one of my favorite movies (Inherit the Wind).

I too feel like a ringing telephone is a command to pick up, and cannot tolerate a ringing telephone -- however, the cell phone offers an option the landline doesn't! I can simply silence my cell phone, all calls go to voicemail, and I can enjoy the peace!

It does seem strange to me that I used to be a person who refused to get a cell phone, and in a short period of time decided to go wireless! Happened one day when I was paying bills, land line being one of them, when I received a phone call from one of my teenage son's friends asking me if I would go upstairs and tell him to get off his cell phone (talking to a different friend) so that he could get a call through! I suddenly realized that I was paying almost $75/month for a landline used almost exclusively for my son's friends to call and leave messages which I was expected to deliver! The landline got cancelled the next day! I have a cell phone! He has a cell phone! Never the twain shall meet!!
 HipsterChick
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/14/2009 9:44:08 PM
Yes, and I do.
Being tethered to an electronic device is not my idea of convenience.
I have a demanding job which I devote far too many hours to. I can hardly imagine being in constant contact.
The only draw back is, the disappearance of pay telephones. I guess they are a thing of the past. I rather miss them
 barbee1970
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/24/2009 5:33:10 AM
I wanted one for if my car breaks down and I'm out in the middle of nowhere. What I can't stand is employers who want to treat it like an electronic leash--answer when they call or else!
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/6/2010 3:33:50 PM
Being single with no family members, it's just makes more sense to have a cellphone ... being portable and all. I don't want to go home just to check messages ... and a cell is more versatile if your vehicle breaks down ... especially in the middle of a Canadian winter. I wouldn't want to walk miles to find a pay phone in -35 temperatures.

um, yeah -the only problem might be COUNTING on it to always 'get you out of trouble' -in the sense of doing dumb/risky things because you can 'always call for help' -it's one of the problems of many technologies - e.g. I see more people with 4WD stuck in snow than with 2WD, simply because they 'assume' they can go 'anywhere' - no it's not magic, just a little more grip.

this may come as a shock to those who are always in urban areas but there ARE places where there are no cell towers, you'd be 'out of range'. also cell phones can fail, the batteries die, etc., etc.

also even in urban centers during busy times you may not be able to place a call -for example I was in downtown Toronto during the 'great electricity failure of 2003' -could not place a call simply because so many people were trying to do so at the same time

I find almost all cell phones I've tried to have pretty crappy acoustic capabilities -nothing like the quality of a land line and a human-sized handset (rather than a micro-mini thing that doesn't reach between ear & mouth)

I do have one but use it as little as possible, and I definitely could 'live' without it
 want to travel
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2010 3:43:11 PM
i had one, and since its against the law to drive and talk on the cell phone, why have one in the car
i never used it, and when i did, it was not worth it so i gave the stupid thing up, i can wait till i get to a phone
 MsMicki
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2010 7:40:30 PM
Cell phone free and love it!!

Anybody that knows me........knows where to check if I'm not at home.
If I'm not at my "usual" places......leave me a message at home......I'll get it when I get there!!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/7/2010 1:18:10 AM
I have offed the TV
The house phone went years ago
The cell phone is next.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >