Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MsMicki
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I get a kick out of the people that think they can't survive without one!

People ask me all the time .....what do you do if you have a flat tire?
Uhm........I change the tire!! Same thing you did 5 years ago before you had a cell phone.

Drives me nuts to be with someone and their kids call just to ask where the
peanut butter is!!
Cell phones have made people completely reliant on others.
Seems it's too easy to call/text someone for an answer to a question you could figure out yourself if you would just take the time!
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 70
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????
Posted: 7/7/2010 9:48:05 AM
^^

No one is suggesting they "can't survive without one."

the thread title WAS:

"Could you EXIST today without a CELL phone????

obviously a bit of hyperbole, but I have heard people claim that they could not 'exist' without their car, cell phone, widescreen plasma TV, etc., etc.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2010 11:19:06 AM
We have one cell phone between us. It's a great convenience, but we could certainly exist without one. However, since public phones are going the way of the dinosaurs, it's getting harder and harder to manage without one.

We should probably get another cell phone and cancel landline service. That we could do without for sure!
 TX9
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/8/2010 12:35:50 AM
I couldn't live with out my cell mainly because its way easier for people to get a hold of me. I've had my own TV when I was a kid but I've been buying my own music and such when I was 15. When the PS3 came out I shelled out over $700 for it. I like to stick with the old things I have till I have to get a new one of it. My family was never rich so I end up buying my things.
 Matt_L_91
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2010 9:26:11 AM
I don't want to go back to a world without smartphones. I use it for everything from listening to music on the bus to finding places I need to go on google maps to calling/texting my friends on the go to give them a heads up if I'm going to be late, using MSN when I'm heading home late at night and feel lonely, or distracting myself in a waiting lounge by playing a quick game.

I also use it to tune my guitar (it has a tuning app which works great every time) and has a "To Do List" app that has it go off three times a week to encourage me to stick with my weight lifting regime. I actually used it the other day to look up a couple videos on exercises I haven't tried before, because if you want to be taught how to lift weights at my gym it's $160 bi-weekly for a minimum of 12 weeks.

It has a piano app that let's me plink away on a tune I may have thought of in my head, has a GPS system to give me driving directions when we do road trips, tells me what movies are playing and when in my city, allows me to check my bank balance and transfer my money between accounts (password protected, of course). It has the weather so I can find out as I head out the door if I need a rain coat or if I stay at a friend's house what it's going to be like tomorrow.

The camera could be better (all my profile pics were taken with it), but it's useful when I see funny things in my city that are begging to be photographed. It's got a gameboy advanced emulator when I want to kick it old school with retro games and a metranome (spelling?) for when my friends try to teach me dance moves. It's also got a translator and a dictionary on it.

So yeah, I never want to be parted this baby again.

Actually if anything I want cell phones to become more ubiquitous and invasive in everyday life. A good example would be augmented reality via glasses or contacts. Then at least I could sit up straight while using the phone instead of looking down at it. Sometimes it's a real pain in the neck! :P
 C2H5OH
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2010 9:00:19 PM
I have an iPhone.I probably use the phone part of it 10 minutes in a month.It's pretty much a portable computer for me....internet,email,GPS,taking pictures/video,music,games,etc...

I could live without it,but it definitely makes life a whole lot easier :)
 theforumfiend
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/11/2010 12:44:38 AM
You can all laugh, but cell phone addiction is a real thing.
Even people that are not addicted can be quite attached to
their phones. Remember seeing the news about all the
people that pre-ordered the iPhone 4? Oh, and let's not
forget those that stood in long lines to when they went on sale.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/11/2010 9:21:15 AM
You thought I was saying all those people are addicted? Naw,
I acknowledged the addiction, but apparently you missed the
part where I said:

Even people that are not addicted can be quite
attached to their phones.

Before saying:

Remember seeing the news about all thepeople that
pre-ordered the iPhone 4? Oh, and let's not forget
those that stood in long lines to when they went on sale.

Yeah, some people are sheep.
 whytwater
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/11/2010 1:13:08 PM

I got an answering machine for my landline so I don't have to answer the phone while I'm home. Now, why would I want to take the phone out of the house with me??? lol

I gotta agree with this guy. I have a caller ID on my phone, because I want to know who's trying to interrupt me. Yep, interrupt. A phone call always, always, always is an intrusion into whatever I'm doing when the phone rings.
I do have a cell, and I do sometimes carry it with me, but I set it to vibrate rather than ring. I kinda like the idea of somebody remotely controlling the sudden buzz/hum in my pocket, whether front or rear. Lol It's more of a welcome distraction, that sensation, than a rude intrusion.
If people only knew they were turning me on just by calling me, . . .
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 81
Posted: 7/11/2010 3:29:02 PM
I do have a cell phone, and for a while my child and I used it fairly regularly. I wanted my child to be able to let me know if she had an emergency when I wasn't home. Say 'fire on the stove' when I'm at a movie or 'hey we need peanut butter' when I'm at the store. It was handy too if we needed to make some sort of arrangments when we were apart.

However, since our lifestyle has changed, the cell hasn't been used at all in a couple months.

I absolutely could do with out it. I think that technology in a lot of ways has ruined people's social skills. It really bugs me when you are having a meal or coffee or some other activity with a friend and they're texting. You're supposed to be present with the person you're with at a given time not wishing you were somewhere else.

Nutt
 RushLuv
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/13/2010 11:41:53 AM
^^^What he said.

I can be without a cell phone for a period of time, but there is no way that I could be without one period.

Cell phones are very convenient, and important and unless someone is a hermit, and don't have much at all going on in their lives, I don't see how it would be possible to exist without a cell.
 whytwater
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/15/2010 1:34:52 PM
A good friend recommends this, for just about everything that bothers ails, frightens or bedevils you:

Chop wood. Carry water.

I tried it, and it sorta works!
 DrummingNut
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/15/2010 2:47:44 PM
I agree with that ^^
(don't know if you were kidding, but nonetheless.. I agree, lol)

As for cell phone? Noooooooooooooo I do not want one.

If I am out and about and do have an emergency?
I'll figure out what to do.
Always have.

Made it to age 58 without one.
Will continue to make it.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/19/2010 6:36:46 AM

If I am out and about and do have an emergency?
I'll figure out what to do.
Always have.

Made it to age 58 without one.
Will continue to make it.

yes, you might. but the people you are with might not LOL. if you are with someone and they have an emergency.... ..
I'm in a gigantic minority.
Everyone I'm out and about with.. have cell phones.
Seriously. Drives me nuts. They all have one.
Plus, it seems 85% of the people around us has them too!

Me not having one? The chance of that endangering anyone else is beyond slim. Tooooo many other people have them!
 cuillerier
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/5/2010 11:46:53 PM
Nope I dont need one. 90 percent of the talking on them is unnecessary or can wait till you get home. I dont use GPS either, or maps on the phone either. if i have a problem with my vechicle, eventually a farmer will drive by and give me a hand.
 nipoleon
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 2:10:48 AM
If your still using a cell phone, you are a generation behind the technology.
Everyone now has the I-phone, smart phones. The mini-computers with total wireless internet connection, you can watch TV, take still pictures and digital motion pictures, and it's also a cell phone.
The biggest problem is typing on those tiny key boards.

But, I wont be getting one of those either.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:29:13 AM
I know we all complain about persons using mobile phones while driving. And of course, texting while driving is ridiculous and extremely dangerous A few of us do actually use them as briefly and carefully as we can in our cars -- and only when necessary to get driving directions (mapquest was wrong!), emergencies, etc. Or better yet, leave cell calls to passengers with us.

Now I hear reports that auto mfgs may soon be required to put signal blocking devices in all new cars so that mobiles can’t be used at all.

I wonder what’s going to happen when everyone to who needs to make a call while driving suddenly has to pull over and stop on the roadside to make those calls? Traffic jams, peole stepping onto the freeways, lotsa folks competing for off road parking spots, no?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/6/2010 10:27:17 PM
I could.
but could date without one.
(be like not having a car)
so I have one.
 redgtoguy
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/7/2010 3:48:36 PM
that would be hard to imagine....life without a cellphone,hmmm. you get things done so much faster.
 kari135
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 5:29:27 PM
I could, but I sure wouldn't want to. I have a land line for DSL, and after 1 1/2 years of it being in my name, I still get calls from collection agencies for people who had it before - or people who just used it as a fictious number when filling out a credit app. I no longer answer it, I only use it to call toll free numbers. I got my cell when DH first became bedridden, and I've kept the same number through many moves and several carriers, and it's my primary contact number. It took me a solid year to get my email address changed with all the financial institutions I use - why would I even want to consider changing my phone number too?

There are courtesies that should be observed, though. It's easy enough to set it to vibrate instead of ring, and to just ignore calls when you're with someone. You can always return a missed call, after all. There are only two people I would take calls from at any time, because of who and where they are, and it definitely would be an emergency I'd rather not be notified of by a local cop.
 ThatGuy1082
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/15/2010 5:25:22 PM
Absolutely I could. Cell phones and cell phone companies have created a culture based upon the illusion of freedom. In reality you are paying for a mobile anchor. A small device you really don't need. It's an abused tool and a toy, not a necessity. Can you believe we have bought into a marketing scam that sells us minutes, or "air-time" and letters of the alphabet? Who really needs to spend $400 to $500 a phone that makes movies, takes pictures, surfs the Internet, or lets you watch your favorite TV shows? After you buy the phone you have a $100 monthly plus phone bill tied to a two-year contract, linked to your credit rating. Alexander Graham Bell had no idea where his invention would go. Would he comprehend the need for a separate ring-tone for every person in your phone's contact list? Or would he say what's the point?

I see children, pre-teens texting away, and you know they have nothing important to say. Then there are the behemoth SUV driving, self absorbed, overweight housewives babbling away about rhetoric, gossip and social trivialities, and I think,,,, what simplistic useless thought is she wasting their breath about? Paying no attention to the road, blubbering on and on about nothing, and oblivious as to her surroundings. Then there are the folks that seem to have no manners whatsoever. Taking calls whenever and wherever they please regardless of respect to others. If you really want to see a total waste of time and money, visit a Starbucks and watch the 20-somethings dressed ridiculously, trying to look as though they have a clue drinking $5.00 foo-foo coffees, speaking audibly to no one, but are texting away faster than I can type.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2010 12:21:22 AM
I do...one of my more memorable experiences was getting stuck in a snow bank. A nice person pulled over and asked "Can I help?....I have a cell phone!"
Without even thinking, I looked at him and replied...."Can you dig with it?"

The look on his face....LOL...

Self reliance is seriously lacking these days (it was before...just moreso now)
On winter road trips I don't leave the house without a shovel, snow boots, candles, sleeping bag, food, water and a full tank of gas.

Similarly, when I bought my truck, I insisted on manual drive...after all, it's the only way to jump start a vehicle solo...

...blubbering on and on about nothing, and oblivious as to her surroundings.

Or his...friend of mine trashed his BMW doing the same thing (speed was also a factor) and had 3 kids in the car. (all survived)

Whenever I'm on a highway and I see other drivers chatting, texting, etc....I grip the wheel a little firmer...and watch them closely...
 whytwater
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/16/2010 6:09:19 AM

Whenever I'm on a highway and I see other drivers chatting, texting, etc....I grip the wheel a little firmer...and watch them closely...

Yeah, me, too. And I use the same approach whenever I see a car with Jersey plates.
 k_trout
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/10/2011 10:16:33 AM
I used to have a cell phone, decided I didn't really need it & when the time available ran out I didn't renew.

When I did have the cell, my friends used to get PO'd because I only turned it on when I wanted to make a call; I kept telling them the cell was for MY convenience, not theirs.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2011 1:34:38 PM
I did not have a cell phone until 2.5 years ago when I had to get one for the business startup I was part of. Used to drive my cell phone addicted-girlfriend crazy that I didn't have one -- I got one some time after we broke up, and she is STILL beside herself that I actually have one. It was, unfortunately, a necessary evil in doing business. Looking back to an episode in November 2007 (almost a year before I got it), I probably lost out on breaking my current 4 year long dateless streak because of some major miscommunication with a serious potential date that would have been averted if I had a cell at the time.

Nevertheless, I still hardly need the thing when I'm not in production (and getting/making 5 dozen calls a day). I can go weeks at a time without it doing anything. My last call on it is from last week, from my own home phone, when I was testing it to make sure it was working. I do think much more popular people than I am at the moment probably NEED a cell phone, but mine is pretty much just for business and emergencies (I think back to some of the pre-cell phone accidents and catastrophic car issues I had and realize how much easier and less chaotic those situations would have been with a cell phone).
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >