Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 karma1160
Msg: 109
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I am really thinking about getting rid of my landline which I hardly ever use.
The only thing it is really good for is internet. I have DSL.
I need a cell phone, because I have a rotating schedule and sometimes I just don't have time during normal business hours to take care of business.
Plus it is necessary in case of emergencies.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 110
Could you exist today without a CELL phone????
Posted: 1/11/2011 9:23:20 AM
^^

What does a 9 and 11 year old need with a cell phone?

maybe to set up their drug buys?
 barefootkitten
Msg: 111
Posted: 1/15/2011 12:26:10 PM
I had a cell when I was at university so that my child's daycare could get ahold of me in case of emergency, but now that I am working at places with landlines, or home (where I have a landline), it has become unnecessary. I switched to pay as you go years ago and haven't topped up my phone in months as I NEVER use the cell.

I feel if people want to talk to me they can do it when it's convenient FOR ME. While I'm out actually living my life I don't feel that I need to be at the beck and call of anyone who has my number. If someone wants to talk to me, they can just as easily phone my home number and leave a message on my answering machine for me to return their call when I have time.

As far as emergencies go, most stores have a landline they will let you use if you politely explain the circumstances. Last year, before I got my new car, my old car wouldn't start (the starter had died). I didn't have my phone with me (it was at home charging that day) and needed to call someone for a ride. I just walked to the nearest store, explained the situation, and they kindly let me use their phone to call someone for a ride. A cell phone is a CONVENIENCE, not a necessity.

There is, furthermore, no reason whatsoever why a child or teenager NEEDS a cell. When they are at school, it's just as easy to call the school in case of emergency as it is to call the student. What cell phones really offer these KIDS is a distraction from the thing they are actually supposed to be doing, and that is LEARNING.
 k_trout
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/15/2011 3:02:25 PM

I switched to pay as you go years ago and haven't topped up my phone in months as I NEVER use the cell.

As far as emergencies go, most stores have a landline they will let you use if you politely explain the circumstances.

People should remember that if you have a charged cell phone and have no time left on your plan it's still handy to keep it in your car or purse, backpack etc because you can still use it to dial 911 & the call will go through.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/16/2011 1:59:52 PM
It's not that difficult to WALK somewhere to a phone if need be.

I'm just saying, the "emergencies" people claim they need them for are rarely real emergencies and the real times one may need a phone for are extremely rare.

I carry my phone with me (even though it doesn't have any money on it right now) simply because I can't wear watches and I like to be punctual, so I can check the time on the phone, but that's really all it's good for.
 jed456
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2011 9:18:17 AM
I just got a cell phone last month my first for emergency use only otherwise I cant stand the things.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >