Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Georgia Invades RussiaPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The only reason the USA is silent, is because they are a nation of little girls.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/18/2008 5:39:48 PM
Even the BBC has been lacking on reports. I guess the 22nd should dropParis behind the lines.
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/18/2008 5:44:54 PM
And where are the Welsh?!?!
Summer Caucus fighting is bang on time this year, and this one looks like an absolute belter!!!
 gentalltheway
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/19/2008 9:05:13 AM

President Bush is still President, still in office and already history is showing George Bush as one of the best Presidents

Some are sooo funny in here...

History will be showing something alright but you will have to look at the other side of the scale to see what it will be.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/20/2008 1:45:24 PM
Hmmm..."wealth doesn't produce jobs"...what does...are we truly a nation serving cheeseburgers to each other...why don't you say who does create jobs and hire people?
 exodusi1
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/20/2008 9:18:42 PM
Decomposer;

Welcome to the fray. . .

It is a tireless job trying to make sure the spin of the right wing isn't the only voice, that reason is also placed upon the plate so those who come here searching for answers don't see only their misinformation. Your posts are both eloquent and extremely accurate. . . I am impressed. . .

As for the guy who thinks Dubya is the best president ever.

SteelCity1981
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 4:37:53 AM
What a B.S. topic. That’s part of Georgia’s country. The Russian's were the ones that came in and invaded Georgia and Last time I checked, that wasn't apart of Russia. Geography skills goes a long way.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 2:54:48 PM
Hey Genuis go do a google map some time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=country%20of%20georgia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

http://www.gurteen.com/gurteen/gurteen.nsf/id/L000696/$File/gg-map.gif

OMG! Look at what we have here. It's still in Georgia no way. What's next are you going to say New Mexico is still apart of Mexico?
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:14:42 PM
Auh No, i'm stating that regardless of what you want to call it's still apart of Georgia.

The United Nations, European Union, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Council of the European Union, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and all other countries in the world recognize South Ossetia as part of Georgia.

Seems pretty damn sound to me.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:15:06 PM
Auh No, i'm stating that regardless of what you want to call it's still apart of Georgia.

The United Nations, European Union, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Council of the European Union, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and all other countries in the world recognize South Ossetia as part of Georgia.

Seems pretty damn sound to me.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:35:40 PM
These so called Russian peace keepers are occupiers of Georgia and have been for years towards Russian sympathizers living in South Ossetia.

It's still apart of Georgia.

And there you have it.

The new NM statement was in regards to what Russia is doing to Georgia as if Mexico would just try to come in and take NM because they felt like it was theirs just because some sympathizers lived there. That’s exactly what Russia is trying to do. First it’s South Ossetia, and then it will be Georgia.

Sounds like you are sympathizing with Putin; I’m meaning you’re basically siding with Russia’s motives.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 4:20:11 PM
You're really reaching. You can try to spin it all you want, the fact remains it's apart of Georgia's country which was the basis around this whole debate. Furthermore you can't compare an already established country with a colony in an undeveloped world those are two entirely diff things.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 4:37:40 PM

"South Ossetia as part of Georgia"

Can't get anymore clearer.

Here is the big diff. The Colonies were first est. by pilgrims, that were trying to escape the religious tyranny of England but was later on occupied by English rule; South Ossetia is in a country already established by Georgia. That's where it's getting spun. You are trying to correlate two diff things and make them seem like they follow under the same criteria. South Ossetia was never occupied by Georgia, because it has always been apart of Georgia itself. It wasn’t like South Ossetia was a territory of Russia and Georgia decided to invade it.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 5:26:52 PM
I understand they were all former satellite states of Russia but when they broke off what is now Georgia, South Ossetia is apart of and has been since the beginning.

How isn't it alike? Because you made it sound like the colonies were always apart of England and we overthrew them, when it wasn't as I explained above. South Ossetia is already in an est. country. It wasn't like South Ossetia was a diff country or territory of the current Russia and Georgia decided to expand its territory and invade, it’s been apart of Georgia from the beginning. So no I’m not missing any key points here, I’m right on the historical boundary marks. You're looking at it as more political drivin and i'm looking at it as more boundry drivin and that's where we differ.

It depends on which side you are looking. at. Some say Russia did by having its occupires in Georgia's country and I tend to agree with that statement.

Now appreantly you have a diff view on it then what's there which is fine. I can respect that.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 6:37:30 PM
What?

For starters Al-Qaida has been so torn up in Iraq by U.S. forces that they have been fleeing continuing to flee Iraq. Yeah it sure sounds like we lost there......

Second of all I do believe that it was Russia that stood down in the end against the U.S. during the Cuban missile crisis back in the early 1960's.

Third of all didn't Russia's almighty army get driven out by a bunch of half trained rag tagged Taliban in Afghanistan in 1979? I do believe so.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:02:13 PM
If the US wasn't in our business? But you just said that Russia could defeat the U.S. So surely that shouldn't have stopped Russia from taking over Afghanistan?

But then again Russia sure didn't mind getting into Businesses that they didn't belong in like hmmm the Korean War conflict and the Vietnam conflict in which sparked the U.S. involvement in both wars. I mean while Russia was on this divide and concur path the U.S. was trying to prevent the dictatorships from taking over newly developed democratic nations. Hey our involvement in Afghanistan was just paying Russia back the favor and besides I do beleive Russia was trying to take over Afghanistan which they had no right to do. You can say what you want about the U.S. but it has never taken over an entire country and claim it as its own during the history of this nation and that's what seperates a democratic nation from a communist nation.

And no Russia pushed back at the last minute during the Cubin missile crisis it’s in the history books and I’m not talking U.S. History books but in world history books as well except for prob in Russia.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:19:48 PM
The U.S. could stop Russia if we had to. We did it once in the early 60's we can do it again, but this time it would prob spark WWIII and that's not a matter of if that will happen it's when that will happen.

I'm not saying that the U.S. is all saints here. The U.S. has done some shaddy things in it's past to but nothing compaired to Russia's past.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:50:29 PM
What are you talking about? Al-Qaida has already been defeated in Iraq by U.S. forces Al-Qaida is on the run, we are now on our way out of Iraq because the Iraqi gov can now hold its own and there is no need for us to be there anymore.

I agree lets hope Russia and the U.S. don't go to war against each other, because if that happened WWIII will break out and no country will be spared. It will end up being the democratic countries vs. the communist countries all over again. You will have South American and Central American dictatorships fighting other South American and Central American democratic nations. Europe, North America, Australia and Japan would be fighting against Russia and China. North and South Korea would start fighting The South pacific like the philippians and Vietnam will start fighting. The Middle East would be spun into a regional civil war. Pakistan and India would nuclear bomb one another. African nations would resort to gorilla conflicts with one another considering the U.N would be disbanded by then. It would be a global disaster.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/22/2008 4:32:16 PM
decomposer, that's what i was talking about. I was talking about now not when we first invaded.

bellicose, what the hell are you talking about????
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/22/2008 5:24:32 PM
Another perspective from a few days ago,

"http://www.larouchepac.com/news/2008/08/21/georgias-strike-against-south-ossetia-was-british-led-operat.html

Georgia's Strike against South Ossetia Was British-Led Operation, LaRouche, Steinberg Tell "Russia Today" TV News
Increase Decrease
Georgia's Strike against South Ossetia Was British-Led Operation, LaRouche, Steinberg Tell "Russia Today" TV News
Aug. 21, 2008 (LPAC)--Lyndon LaRouche was interviewed live today by the English-language Russian TV channel Russia Today, following the previous day's airing of part of an interview with EIR senior editor Jeffrey Steinberg, recorded in Washington on August 19. The interviews, which were illustrated with footage from the South Ossetia war zone, are archived on Russia Today's website, at http://www.russiatoday.com/guests/video/1478 for LaRouche; and http://www.russiatoday.com/guests/video/1470 for Steinberg. The Russian Today service was launched last year under Russian Information Agency Novosti auspices, with official backing, to counter distortions of Russian realities and policy, appearing in the world press.
Here are the transcripts.
RUSSIA TODAY: Now, to talk more about the war in South Ossetia and its repercussions for the world community, we are now joined live from Germany, by American philosopher, economist, and political activist, Mr. Lyndon LaRouche.
Thank you very much, Mr. LaRouche, for joining us. Well, let's focus on what happened in South Ossetia: Do you think the war in South Ossetia was started to alienate Russia, and was it a well-staged provocation?
LYNDON LAROUCHE: It's part of a British-led operation with American support, which was intended to crush Russia by a series of encirclement actions, typified by what happened in Poland just recently.
RUSSIA TODAY: Now, what do you think of the media coverage of this conflict?
LAROUCHE: Well, for some time now, in the United States, we've had the most dishonest coverage, of all kinds of things, I've seen in a long time. Most of the European coverage and the American coverage was pretty bad. It was far from the truth in most of these instances.
RUSSIA TODAY: But why do you think the West turns a blind eye to who started this war?
LAROUCHE: Well, the war actually started as an attempt, immediately, to eliminate Russia as a significant factor, to isolate it, to surround it, and break its will. I think that the Putin government responded quite appropriately and had a correct intelligence estimate of what the nature of the situation was.
RUSSIA TODAY: What interest, your opinion, does the United States have in the Caucasus?
LAROUCHE: It has no particular interest. This is not really a U.S. interest matter. It's a matter of certain international forces. Take the case of George Soros: George Soros is a British national, who operates against the United States, and operates in many parts of the world, who was the key author of the present government of Georgia, and who is the representative of a branch of the British Foreign Office, which actually coordinated this entire operation.
RUSSIA TODAY: But how might the conflict affect the balance of powers in the world in the long run?
LAROUCHE: I think we're headed for the potential of a new missile crisis, comparable to what happened in 1962--but worse. And this is the danger: We are on the verge, both of a general breakdown of the world's monetary-financial system, and in such a period, we are again looking at the "Guns of August." We're looking at the threat of World War III.
RUSSIA TODAY: Well, thank you very much for your comments and your time, Mr. LaRouche. That was American economist, philosopher and political activist, Lyndon LaRouche from Germany.
- **************** -
JEFFREY STEINBERG: [starts mid-sentence] ...the Russians would blink and not respond with force in the face of this provocation. They had some naïve idea, that the U.S.-Russian relationship was so important that Russia would take steps that would be actually suicidal in terms of their constitutional obligations to defend Russian citizens.
The Georgians were using updated versions of old, World War II era, Katyusha rocket batteries. And any military expert knows that these are not precision-guided weapons. They fire off six to a dozen rockets at one time; they go to a sort of a broad field of fire, and you know, if you're using those weapons, that you're going to cause massive civilian damage. And so, my understanding is that the capital city of South Ossetia has been completely leveled.
There's tens of thousands of refugees who fled north, into North Ossetia. We don't know the final casualty figures, but numbers in the range of 15-20,000 have come up. And this was all as the result of the initial assault coming from the Georgian forces, before the Russians responded with overwhelming force, that forced the situation to come to a halt, that lasted only about three or four days. And basically the Russians called the bluff of the Georgians and those in the West, typified by people like George Soros, and Sir Mark Malloch-Brown of the British Foreign Office, who were behind Saakashvili from the beginning of his political career, promoted him, and obviously were pushing him to take a provocative action, that didn't work out the way they thought it would: Russia did not simply roll over and play dead, and ignore an active aggression and an act of brutality against Russian citizens.
And there's very good reason to believe that this is one of the most classic cases of what, here in the United States, was referred to as the "carpetbagger government": People who came in from the outside, who had a sort of a limited association with the country, but who came in, and really imposed a policy that was not necessarily in the interests of the majority of the Georgian people. So, you've had foreign interests, not Georgian interests, setting the agenda of the Saakashvili government.
And frankly, that government was losing a great deal of popular support. And I think one of the immediate motivations from Saakashvili's standpoint, for going with this adventure, this provocation in South Ossetia, is that the opposition was gaining strength. If there were early elections, he was going to lose and be out of power. And so, he used the ploy of moving to seize South Ossetia, back from the status of an autonomous region, to being fully integrated back into Georgia, as a way of bolstering his nationalist credentials, to try to save a presidency that was collapsing.
And from a larger standpoint, you had British and certain American factional interests, playing this game to run a provocation against Russia. Because some people in the West would like to get a new Cold War going, at this point, to distract attention away from issues, like the financial crisis and other things like that. "

Bliss
 gtomustang
Msg: 81
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 8/27/2008 5:00:37 AM
Remember the good old days, where we go back on the ACBM treaty we signed, we asked for Russian military bases to launch a war on Afganistan from--and got them? Then the price of oil went up, and we couldn't push Russia around anymore....

Now we're arguing about Russia doing what we did in 1991. A nation attacks a neighbor, and we take it upon ourselves to go in and defend...until the invader says, "but I thought America was OK with it!" We've got a presence on bases in former ComBloc nations, missiles in Poland--what's with all this Cold War BS? Bush's father left Somalia for Clinton, did the son decide to top dad by leaving not one war, but 3?
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 94
Georgia Invades Russia
Posted: 9/4/2008 3:28:39 PM
It's interesting how a couple months ago. Russia and the states were in a disagreement over the czech. Anti-missle batteries the states put up on russias border.
Rice has meeting with putin and others.
Bush flys to russia to give a letter directly to putin..
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >