Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbilly
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Do you ever get use to being single?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
One of my many Mottos is ( I'd rather be alone than to wish to God I was!) That's what I tell myself when I am lonely. I am sure many of you can relate.
 bellazingara
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do you ever get use to being single?
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:37:44 PM
Yes it is very possible....it's also possible to enjoy it if you take time to get re-acquainted with yourself. Ultimately you have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy in a relationship. You'll come to see too that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Embrace your singleness and enjoy it while it lasts!

Best Wishes,

H.A.
 Ron9
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/22/2008 11:56:02 PM
After being married most of my life - I’ve now been single for 4.5 years.

At first - I ran around like a silly boy - looking for a girlfriend. After about a year of that ...... I started to realize it was not as easy as I thought it would be.

I’ve always been WAY TOO PICKY - even as a kid I was picky. Looks like all those years of being married would have fixed that but ....... NOPE lol.

Anyway - about two years ago - logic took over. I started to accept that I would prob be single from here on out.

Two years later - I am fully use to it and have ZERO problems regarding being single from here on out.

YES - you get use to being single.
 jadegreen
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2008 8:47:44 PM
Yes you can. And after a number of years you may even begin to like it and wonder how you can learn to live with someone again...that's a trip isn't it
 EagleEric
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/1/2008 9:53:32 AM
If you can't get used to being single, I doubt that you'd have much tolerance for marriage.

The Eagle
 stephaniezowie
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 1:42:52 PM
Yes you get used to it.
Then the idea of someone up your tail all the time
becomes the problem.

Just my opinion......
 professora
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Do you ever get use to being single? NO WAY
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:13:18 PM
Hi solar panel and othrs.
Solarpanel said "Teaching yourself to walk away from dating situations that would be bad for you improves your self-esteem and it does you good to observe the dating process for a while without diving in too."

I learned quickly to walk away. the men i meet agree that it is better to part quickly rather than drag it out. been lucky this way. BUT I STILL DO NOT like being single. this is the longest single spell i have had in my life. maybe age? dont know but i know enough about myself to know i dont dive in without caution.
 professora
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:23:32 PM
responding to Magnificentlady : you sd: "I would never trade living alone for being married. Single means 100% independence to do what you want, go where you want, and eat what you want-" I appreciate what you said but want to rebuttal with:

i was married 26 yrs and then later had a long time bf- and with both i was completely independent. i went where i wanted, ate what i wanted, etc. With each man we were sort of "ships in the passing night"...but the house was filled with their scent, so to speak, and their presence was there. The intimacy was special since we were otherwise so independent.

Peppie
 Invictus01
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:46:34 PM
I got an opposite problem. I can't get used to dating 'cause I'm so used to being single.
 RoughAsGuts
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 7:50:25 PM
Its funny how the ones that are least likely to enjoy being single are the ones who arent much fun themselves lol.

Being single teaches you to be resourceful & resiliant and getting used to your own company. It really makes us question ourselves. If your lousy company then being single will be hell for you, because you take "YOU" wherever you go!

As for me Im great company, all my mates can attest to that, and whenever the party is glum Im always only to happy to liven things up. Im a jokester and never take things too seriously. And why should I, we arent immortal, and we are only passing by here in this game called life.

So next time your feeling whether you will ever get used to being single, ask yourself if you cant get used to putting up with your own company, is it fair to ask that anyone else should shoulder that burden for you?
 ck1time
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 8:07:24 PM
I am. Technically, you're alone when you're born. And the same when you die.
What's the difference in between? A state of mind. Of course you make a difference
in the meantime. Companionship, co-creating life, raising a family. You are still 1,
a single human entity.
 Ron9
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/3/2008 1:15:26 PM
oops ....... I meant to put this post in a different thread.
 ________
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/3/2008 3:07:29 PM
Yes -- on balance I would take single over attached any day of the week, month or year. But you need close friends to make it work.
 Dpilot1
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/4/2008 7:30:13 AM
Well, I'm going on 59 never married. I'm used to it. Every now and then someone wakes me up and I realize what I've been missing and the benefits of what I have too. I think there's plusses and minuses to both ways of life. However a happy, marriage filled with love is I think the closest to Heaven you can have on earth. A bad marriage is the closest to Hell you could find.
 CherylCake
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/4/2008 8:09:45 AM
Ya, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Been on both sides. Each has its plusses & minuses. Just be happy with what you have, or God won't give you any more to complain about.
 want to travel
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:37:17 AM
being single is terrible, and not natural, i hate it, but so is being in a relationship that is not loving
 evrybdy
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:24:53 PM
I've experienced being single more than relationships most of my life and I guess it does boil down to really appreciating the person you are inside and what you want out of life and going for it, and not caring what other people might think ofyou for it. That's when you show your true self. As an example, now I am focussing on my health which has gotten bad and getting help from family so I am not even dating or meeting anyone, but I am going to school and reading and taking in learning at an insane level, getting A's, and I am 35 going to school with 18 year olds.lol I laugh sometimes at it all, but it's made me really get to reacquaint with myself, that person we take the least amount of time to get to know. I'm journaling now, thinking about my mother I lost a year ago and learning how to stand for something in myself. Should a man come around that wants to be my friend, that is how I would want it to start, not an insane rush to get someone to validate me through love, but someone who likes what they know so far, and might want to know more. After all, that's what I am trying to do =)

M
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  >