Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bliss serendipity
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Significant lead in polls for McCainPage 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Thanks Slowride for the advice. Reading has been much more pleasurable and faster.

Bliss
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 60
Significant lead in polls for McCain
Posted: 9/10/2008 1:19:28 PM
Ya know, it doesn't take much scepticism to realize that the above is almost certainly a ridiculous mischaracterization of a statement.

But the right wing machine needs a new phony outrage every day. Yesterday it was Obama using an expression very common in political circles, today it's this. Can't wait to see what tomorrow's is going to be.
 kabiosile
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 1:34:44 PM
I am sick of both parties garbage. When are we going to have a substantive discussion about the issues? right now the polls reflect peoples emotions in reaction to lies put out on Obama's tax plan and who slept with who accusations, candidates opinions of who has enough experience. etc.

To me once again Mccain and Obama are BOTH falling flat on their faces. People are arguing like this is a vote for who should be prom queen as opposed to who could work as our leader and work for making progress in our nation best.

We should be demanding there be substantive debate which includes the other parties besides D and R. Where these two parties will have to answer to what Nader, Cynthia , Barr, Paul etc. have to add to the debate. Right now we have a one party system split by a fence with an elephant and donkey show. Right now our nation smells like elephant bullshit and we look like a bunch of jackasses. It has turned into a bad version of gossip, distraction lies and garbage. In the mean time no one is talking about changing the direction of the nation which is in SORE need of real change. Let's hear from all the candidates what they consider change.

Mccain has to first admit the Republicans under Bush were wrong, and that he has a plan to move away from the rat hole Bush led us into. He then needs to inform us the voters of maybe what that plan is and not just say he is a maverick, a pow etc.

Obama needs to spill more details, I have read his book so, I know what he wants to do but, he needs to sell it to the nation of people who think reading is bad for you and lay into the republicans for lying and slandering him.
He can do this and turn things to his favor very easily by just laying out exactly what he wants to do. If he does this properly and ignores all the little traps Rove sets up to play on rural americas fears and emotions, He will show Karl Rove and gang sitting behind the curtain with their pants down to everyone and show them for the scumbags spin masters that they are. They have no substance only lies and fear and obama needs to nail them good once and for all.

Nader, Paul, Barr, McKinney etc. all other party candidates MUST get their message to the masses. They are working on this and they should have a debate before the R and D get their debate since they wont let them be part of it. That way the american public has fresh in their minds the concerns and ideas that these other parties stand for respectively and compare them to what Obama and Mccain have to say.

Then we can talk about polls, and who we are thinking we should vote for. As I see it right now we have a one eyed man leading a bunch of blind sheep to the slaughter house.

I say let every candidate get on their soap box and tell the people what they will do and not bicker and have hissy fits over he said she said.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/10/2008 3:06:57 PM
nefarious101 ---

The Obama campaign just can't help themselves. They just love shooting themselves in the foot. First they give the McCain campaign the pig/lipstick soundbite, and now they've given away the entire election by asserting in a public forum that they don't have the best candidates running for the job!

I don't think it's Sarah Palin you have to keep away from the press, it's Obama and Biden.

By the time this dynamic duo is finished self destructing, they'll have trouble getting elected dog catcher!
 Simlasa
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 3:16:22 PM
Palin is obviously qualified to be president...
Look at the lies and fraud she has been spouting... certainly THAT is presidential material.

Yay! Here comes more of the same!
 cncgandolf
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 5:17:04 PM
The RNC bump is erroding. Here are today's poll results. (I like that this site shows many of the polls and the history).

RealClearPolitics Poll Averages
General Election: McCain vs. Obama

______ ____Poll Date Sample _____McCain (R)___ Obama (D)____ Spread
RCP Average 09/05 - 09/09 -- ______ 47.4 ______ 45.1 ______ McCain +2.3
FOX News 09/08 - 09/09 900 RV____ 45 ______ 42 ______ McCain +3
Gallup Track 09/07 - 09/09 2714 RV__ 48______ 43 ______ McCain +5
Rasmussen 09/07 - 09/09 3000 LV ___47 ______ 48 ______ Obama +1
NBC/Wall SJ 09/06 - 09/08 860 RV ___45 ______ 46 ______ Obama +1
Hotline/FD 09/06 - 09/08 924 RV ____45 ______ 44______ McCain +1
ABC/W Post 09/05 - 09/07 LV ______ 49______ 47______ McCain +2
U Today/Gallup 09/05 - 09/07 823 LV__ 54 ______ 44______ McCain +10
CBS 09/05 - 09/07 655 RV ______ 46 ______ 44 ______ McCain +2
CNN/OpRsrch 09/05 - 09/07 942 RV ___48 ______ 48 ______ Tie
 geeleebee
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/10/2008 5:51:55 PM

I noticed the audience was pretty much ALL black. hmmmmmmmmmmm

I would have said, and the crowd was pretty much all Americans. Please share with us what the crowd being black had to do with it.

Slowride...Slowride...Slowride...Obviously, the fact that most of the audience was black means that there is some kind of covert ops happening at the Baptist Convention in Ohio. Right damn NOW.
I wanna know--were any of them wearing tinfoil hats??? Was there evidence of helicopters hovering near? (b l a c k helicopters--coincidence? I think NOT!).
Mighty suspicious goings on...
 OneBlend
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:00:36 PM

I am sick of both parties garbage. When are we going to have a substantive discussion about the issues?

I second the motion. This whole process, once again shows how ignorant people can be led by the nose. How funny to watch the blind lead the blind, yet how sad it is the corrupt politicians have divided people who can't see they've fallen prey to the bullshit political game and reveal how distracted they are from the real issues.
Perhaps they just won't realize what the real issues are until they're made to see them the hard way. By any means, it's getting really old, really quick. To see people so disengaged that they have to bicker about nonsense lends validity to what other countries think about this one.. The trained seals are performing and their children and their children's children will pay dearly for the rose colored glasses.
Looks like it's long overdue for air drops of pocket constitutions.
 faith2565
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 8:34:33 PM
The big jump is Palin.

CNN also interviewed people working for the democratic party in Ohio and several people when called over the phone admit 'they like Obama, but can not bring themselves to vote for a black man'.

Anderson then stated that people going on and on about his religion, pin, etc can be seen as disguised 'racism'.

A co-worker of mine stated she feels that many of the white people that say they are going to vote for him, when they walk in the booth will vote for McCain, because they truly can not vote for a black person. Especially if their views do not align with McCain it may really be racism.

She is a republican proud and red, but she is a really good friend. It is good to talk to real friends on the other side.

Obama/Biden 08
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:10:47 PM

I am sick of both parties garbage. When are we going to have a substantive discussion about the issues?

I would assume during the debates. You don't have long to wait. The first one will be September 26.
 faith2565
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:13:54 PM
Thank God! I can not wait until the 26th. I caught the end of the speech and now they are having an entire forum on Larry King about
pigs wearing lipstick. It is a saying. This is ridiculous do we not have more important things to discuss.

Truly only time will tell.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:50:13 PM
". This is ridiculous do we not have more important things to discuss"

When all the Republicans are offering is 4 more years of the same but from an extremist female from Wasilla AL then paranoid attacks is all they can discuss.
 faith2565
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 9:54:14 PM
It really looks like that.
 geeleebee
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/10/2008 10:44:29 PM
Remember the speech Obama gave at the DNC a few years ago? Young, unexpected, fresh--his words inspired hope. He was a bright, shiny star on the horizon--many of us could feel that this man was something special. Now, he's campaigned for a while, and we're used to him. I still have much faith in him, and will vote for him. I still believe that he is something extraordinary.

My point is this: Sarah Palin is the new shiny star of the moment. Witty comebacks, clever stories, darling children. She will tarnish, as they all do, and things will settle down so we can gather information, not gossip, and make decisions based on what she's actually done, not on what she says she's done.

Polls change with the wind.
Actions before words.

Obama/Biden 08
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/11/2008 7:47:47 AM
Sarah Palin is the new shiny star of the moment. Witty comebacks, clever stories, darling children. She will tarnish, as they all do, and things will settle down so we can gather information, not gossip, and make decisions based on what she's actually done, not on what she says she's done.

Palin won't be around for 2 years before we vote. We won't have time for the "shine" to tarnish on her star.

McCain rolled the dice and came up with a winner who complements him and will help him win in November.

On the other hand, Obama picked "2nd best" even by Joe Biden's estimation.

BTW, Obama lost a little ground in the RCP average today, due to the Rasmussen poll which had Obama up by a point last time. It is now tied, bringing McCain's average up from 2.2 yesterday to 2.4 today.

So I guess that prediction about a rapid decline after the RNC isn't coming true.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:32:35 AM
What do you mean "unless"?

There is new real dirt coming out about Palin every day. She's just another "grab what you can with both hands" Republican. Albeit one who says the opposite of what she does. Not just another greedy Republican - a pretty, hypocritical greedy Republican.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 76
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:35:51 AM

I'd wait just a bit before celebrating, as I said.

I'm not celebrating, just noting that McCain isn't sinking like most people expected. He rose a teeny bit more in RCP (to 2.5) since I wrote this morning. McCain seems to be hanging in there.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 77
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:39:37 AM
I never saw anybody predicting a rapid decline.

The GOP has been masterful in controlling the media agenda and the news cycle. But at some point it is going to come back to issues, and on that the Democratic ticket has a clear advantage.

Overall, there should be a 3 - 5 % point Democratic edge come election day, but a significant edge in electoral votes.
 darjeeling
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 12:23:22 PM

FOX is the only one which is mostly fair and unbiased.

I was watching FOX during the DNC mostly as oppositional research ... but mostly I watched C-Span.

Since the RNC however, and the launch of Sarah Palin ... FOX may as well be considered as the Official News Source for the McCain campaign ... a literal propaganda arm.

Whatever happened to the Obama's Lipstick on a Pig Thread? Boy, thats an embarrassment now ... isn't it.

caw
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/11/2008 12:55:10 PM

Gallup Polls today has McCain leading Obama by 4 pts still. Looks like it is a sustained momentum vs simply a bounce.

Is this the same Gallup organization that had McCain up by 10 points yesterday?

There's a poll I saw on TV... probably can be found on the Internet..where approx. 60% of Americans believe the Media to be biased and over half (around 55%) of that number says it is biased to the Left...with 14-15% saying it's biased to the Right and the rest.. undecided.

If you repeat a lie often enough, many will believe it. But you have an extremely right wing biased news. It's just that the right has been whining "left wing media bias" for decades now.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/11/2008 12:57:49 PM
Is this the same Gallup organization that had McCain up by 10 points yesterday?

No the poll that has McCain up by +10 is the USA Today/Gallup. The daily Gallup had McCain up by 5 points yesterday and 4 today. Overall, McCain's been holding tight. He's only come down .8 points out of his 9.9 point bounce.

Like I said a couple of weeks ago, they've been firing their bullets too early, and the wore down a lot of people on the Obama side, but the bounce back is coming. Today Obama is plus five in Ohio.

Actually if you now look at RCP's state-by-state map you'll notice the bounce has caught up to the statewaide polls. On the electoral map Obama/Biden is 217 and McCain/Palin is 216 with 105 a toss up. Florida and North Carolina have gone from toss up to the McCain camp, Ohio is still considered a toss up according to RCP. Of the 11 toss up states a couple of days ago, 2 have gone to McCain with the rest still a toss up. No states have been converted to Obama.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:27:47 PM
I think most pundits will tell you that it was over for Obama the moment he didn't pick Hillary.

The Consequences of Rejecting Hillary
Did Obama pick the wrong person to be his running mate?
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/545moqlh.asp

Could Clinton Have Palin-Proofed Dems?
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/10/politics/politico/main4433771.shtml

Maybe Clinton Would’ve Been Better, Biden Says
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/10/maybe-clinton-wouldve-been-better-biden-says/?mod=googlenews_wsj

Newt Gingrich: Hillary Clinton should be on Deomcrat’s ticket
http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?articleid=1118202&srvc=2008campaign&position=9

Did Obama blow it in picking Biden?
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/shared-blogs/ajc/thinkingright/entries/2008/09/11/did_obama_blow_it_in_picking_b.html

Obama did finally have the common sense to go crawling on his hands and knees
yesterday to beg Bubba to campaign for him, however, he's not going to be able to do the
circuit like Sarah Palin can for McCain. Even if he was willing, Clinton's health isn't good
enough to go campaigning non-stop without sleep. And he probably has speaking
engagements that he has to attend to as well.

Bubba's about the only star quality power Obama's got to try and help himself out of the
mess he's made.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:33:30 PM
You're citing editorials in the Weekly Standard, Wall Street Journal and by Newt Gingrich on why the Democrats are doomed.

I'm thinking they just might reflect the teensiest bit of bias.

Hillary wouldn't have been a good choice. She showed herself to be a pretty terrible campaigner by blowing a campaign when the nomination was in the bag. Biden never really had much of a chance and bowed out early - but like most Senators he wanted to be President and figured this was his last chance to take a shot.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:41:29 PM
"http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/floridapolitics/entries/2008/09/11/poll_mccain_50_obama_43_in_fla.html

Poll: McCain 50, Obama 43 in Fla."

A poll of the palmbeach post would be biased by the readership of the palm beach post .... I'm impressed that as many as 43% of such a conservative source would be pro-Obama.

Polls reflect the bias of the source. Be careful how you use them.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:49:30 PM
You're citing editorials in the Weekly Standard, Wall Street Journal
and by Newt Gingrich on why the Democrats are doomed.

I'm thinking they just might reflect the teensiest bit of bias.

Okey, dokey. Here are some more from sources you might like better:

From the LA Times

Hey, Hillary Clintonites! Forget Sarah. Joe Biden loves ya!

Polls out this week seem to indicate that a sizable chunk of female voters nationally,
presumably including at least some Clintonites, have swung over to the McCain camp in
the last three weeks, which is a scary thing for a front-runner because women voters are
the majority now.

Read the first comment too, which is right on the money.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/09/hillary-clinton.html

From the International Herald Tribune
Biden living up to his gaffe-prone reputation
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/11/america/biden.php

From Newsweek
Biden on Clinton: She 'Might Have Been a Better Pick Than Me'
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/archive/2008/09/10/biden-on-clinton-she-might-have-been-a-better-pick-than-me.aspx

Oh, and the piece de resistance

From the Harvard Law Record (too conservative for you?)

The courage to lose
http://media.www.hlrecord.org/media/storage/paper609/news/2008/09/11/Opinion/The-Courage.To.Lose-3426291.shtml

I can find you more if you're interested.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >