Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 118
Significant lead in polls for McCainPage 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

How does a rational person consider for even a nanosecond that a candidate's name--first, last, middle--in ANY way is a measure of his/her abilities to lead this country?

Got me. I'm not voting for him, but his name sure isn't the problem.
 geeleebee
Msg: 119
Significant lead in polls for McCain
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:11:05 AM

how do you think the brave men and women that serve this great nation as servants to our cities and states would feel knowing that the commander and chief could not even become a defender of everyday people . not an FBI agent or even a beat cop. Yes there should be a federal law that states if you can't pass a back ground test the real servants need to pass then you are not fit to be in the highest office of our great nation.

Not sure where your information comes from, however, BACK ON TOPIC:

'Significant' leads are temporary. Voters are still busy being enchanted with the newbie. This, too, shall pass for some/many of them when they begin to realize that Palin isn't informed enough about global issues--which anyone in the position of VP should be.
 itechman63
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 9:30:07 AM
Phil, that article doesn't even indicate any Obama backlash. That's folks freakin' over the Palin phenomenon that already is losing some luster.

I wouldn't say there isn't precedence to the Democrat campaign style of trying to run on issues while the GOP gains an edge in winning elections because they show a candidate looking funny in a helmet riding a tank.

I believe that panic and hysteria may hurt the Democrats more than any campaign on either side. They can easily be called "The Shoot Themselves in the Foot Party" and they're threatening to do it again.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:10:35 AM

Come on folks, we are not voting for the next American Idol!

A lot of young americans are stupid that way. They will go with anything that's "trendy" without looking in depth on why they are really doing it. You see that all the time at the Mall.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:36:46 AM
That isn't the point she was making. All you're doing is trying to justify why you think it's ok for Government to impose its religious beliefs on others, yet you spout "smaller Government!". I find this hypocritical.

No, again, I was stating there are other options besides abortions if you don't want to keep an unwanted baby. I could care less weather government makes abortion illegal or not but I really think it's none of their business. Leave it as it stands for all I care.

I personally have no religious beliefs, but from a morality standpoint, I think if you are against the death penalty because it is taking another human's life, then so is abortion. Any belief otherwise I find hypocritical.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 125
Posted: 9/13/2008 10:37:59 AM

McCain's numbers are already starting to drop, as I predicted.

Actually, what you said is McCain would lose his bump in a week. The bump was 9.9 points, and the drop is .9 point.

My opinion is that the numbers will stay steady, or close in a little until the first debate on September 26. If one of them has a clear win in the debate, then that candidate's numbers will start to rise.
 tallskier
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:08:50 PM

'Significant' leads are temporary.

So, when BHO has a "significant lead", it will be temporary?
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 128
Posted: 9/13/2008 12:19:53 PM

Just something to consider, and add to your......experience.

Things aren't like they were 100 or 150 years ago. The least qualified President in our time was Jimmy Carter, and he'd been Governor for 4 years. You might add Bush to that given that the position is mainly ceremonial with most of the power vested in the Lt. Governor.
 kabiosile
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:00:14 PM
The least experienced presidents of our nations history are looked at as some of our best.

Lincoln only had 2 years in washington in the house of representatives and then 12 years later he was elected president.

Kennedy was another.

That is a tired argument. Polls mean squat, what matters is what happens on election day.
 cncgandolf
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:02:26 PM
"So, when BHO has a "significant lead", it will be temporary?"

If he does, than yes. That's why when Obama had the lead after DNC I said "don't get****." .... This election will be a fight to the very end of election day. I can only hope and pray it is clean enough that it ends at the end of election day this time.

Obama 08 - the only real voice for real change.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 132
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:11:26 PM

Lincoln only had 2 years in washington in the house of representatives and then 12 years later he was elected president.

Kennedy was another.

As I said above Lincoln was President 150 years ago. The realities of being President now are different.

Kennedy WAS NOT another. He'd served two terms in the House of Representatives (4 years) and one term in the Senate (6 years). So he had 10 years of federal legislative experience by the time he became President.
 faith2565
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:21:19 PM
This forum is not about abortion. But, if you guys continue it will be another closed thread.l
 mjk21258
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 1:36:55 PM

No, again, I was stating there are other options besides abortions if you don't want to keep an unwanted baby. I could care less weather government makes abortion illegal or not but I really think it's none of their business. Leave it as it stands for all I care.

I personally have no religious beliefs, but from a morality standpoint, I think if you are against the death penalty because it is taking another human's life, then so is abortion. Any belief otherwise I find hypocritical.

The point being made was about political beleifs, it wasn't about abortion. If you wish to discuss abortion go to a thread about it.
 faith2565
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:03:06 PM
Yes, the numbers have dropped and they are closing the gap once again.
-----------------------------------------

September 13, 2008
Gallup Daily: McCain 47%, Obama 45%Race remains in statistical tie.

-------------------------------------
Here is the thread about abortions.

------------------------------------

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10150329.aspx

--------------------------------------

Obama/Biden 08
 cncgandolf
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:06:26 PM
"47.4 (14/08)"

"Strange that everytime I go to the same site, I get different numbers:

RCP National Average 47.4 45.0 McCain +2.4 "

You both have the 47.4 figure for today. If you go to the historic page of real clear you will see that you can compare the figure for Sep 9 to Sep 14 for each poll ... which is what he did with one of the poll choices.

You gave current from one page of the site (I can't find the one you used). His issue was change in polls from another page of the site. The current 47.4 indicates a drop.

When I go to the home page of the cite at http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/
I get the following.... which does have a link to the page he used (the "more polling" link), but I don't see a page to the link you used.

RealClearPolitics Poll Averages
General Election: McCain vs. Obama
Poll Date Sample McCain (R) Obama (D) Spread
RCP Average 09/05 - 09/12 -- 47.4 45.0 McCain +2.4
Gallup Tracking 09/10 - 09/12 2761 RV 47 45 McCain +2
Rasmussen Tracking 09/10 - 09/12 3000 LV 48 45 McCain +3
Hotline/FD Tracking 09/10 - 09/12 913 RV 45 44 McCain +1
Newsweek 09/10 - 09/11 1038 RV 46 46 Tie
FOX News 09/08 - 09/09 900 RV 45 42 McCain +3
Associated Press/GfK 09/05 - 09/10 812 LV 48 44 McCain +4
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 09/06 - 09/08 860 RV 45 46 Obama +1
ABC News/Wash Post 09/05 - 09/07 LV 49 47 McCain +2
USA Today/Gallup 09/05 - 09/07 823 LV 54 44 McCain +10
CBS News 09/05 - 09/07 655 RV 46 44 McCain +2
CNN/OpinionResearch 09/05 - 09/07 942 RV 48 48 Tie
More Polling Data | Chart | News
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 2:26:44 PM
Someone else brought abortion into it, not me. I just offered up another route and of course, that is a no no to a lib so now everyone is going to pound me for it.

But take a minute and reflect on why McCain has a lead right now, and why I believe he will win the election. Most of the people who live in liberal areas are in very close groups of large amounts of like-thinking people (but remember there are still plenty, or at least a few republicans in the mix). When you get out into the more rural areas, you have the old fashioned God fearing people who still have those old time values. Things haven't changed much in these parts of the country and most people (in these areas) don't want to see the kinds changes people like Obama represent. So they are willing to take the bad of McCain along with what they see as mostly good. And there aren't all that many liberals to balance it out in the "central time zone" as it is called.

And the more they get called ignorant and dimwitted by the left (just as we repubs get called on here), the more it drives them away from anything good the democratic party has to offer them.
 faith2565
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:07:43 PM
I was not attacking one particular person concerning continous postings about abortion, but the truth is this forum is not about abortion. Many threads have closed because people just continued to get off the subject. Do not take it personal.

My motto has become. Do not argue with someone or get sucked into their argument. It back fires every time.

Back to the subject.

In a couple of weeks the polls will go back to normal. The exitment has been over Palin. McCain is running a smear campaign and not focusing on the issues.

So until then when it comes to the polls I am just going to relax.
 faith2565
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:21:00 PM
The republicans are running a negative campaign. We will be glad when Obama fights back harder and stops telling us to leave subjects alone.
 mjk21258
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:35:16 PM

Someone else brought abortion into it, not me. I just offered up another route and of course, that is a no no to a lib so now everyone is going to pound me for it.

Abortion was mentioned as an example of something the religous right uses to push their beliefs on the rest of nation, it wasn't mentioned as an issue you turned it into new one for this thread.
 faith2565
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2008 3:39:49 PM
Yes, he did because he stated his mother was a teenage parent. McCain used 'pigs wearing lipstick' against Hillary, but even when the media found the clip he could not remember. The republicans were trying to get Obama to apologize. I am glad he did not this time and stood his ground. Abortion is something the right uses as a guilt vote. But, it does not matter the polls are starting to stablize.

McCain 47
Obama45

Obama/Biden 08
 geeleebee
Msg: 142
Posted: 9/14/2008 10:57:05 AM

And, now he is getting his message out on his views re' how to handle Disaster Events. He and Obama differ significantly. McCain is a 'boots on the ground' ... i.e. have a system of where the needed supplies are ready to be immediately distributed by the local businesses... water, lumber, etc. to get things back going immediately and not having to wait on the gov.

Obama cancelled an appearance on SNL because he said it wasn't appropriate, given the devastation from Hurricane Ike. He is encouraging people to help out with disaster relief--in other words: to put their boots on the ground in Texas.
 geeleebee
Msg: 144
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:06:49 PM
In terms of policy platforms, Obama has proven himself a leader in that arena. He has always been about community service and extending a helping hand.
Political posturing? Doubt it.
Just as McCain 'would have done', is a 'what if'. Obama wasn't in a 'what if' situation.
I see McCain's choice of Palin as political posturing--to the detriment of our country.
 rpxtu
Msg: 145
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:18:05 PM
Palin believes that dinosaurs roamed the earth only 4000 years ago. Need I say more.
 geeleebee
Msg: 146
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:22:25 PM

Obama cancelled SNL for political posturing. Just as McCain would have done..for the same reasoning.

Wow...mind readers...
Or, did you mean that McCain would have cancelled for political posturing, just as you say Obama did?

More likely, Obama cancelled because he honestly is as community-minded as his career has shown him to be.
 rpxtu
Msg: 147
Posted: 9/14/2008 1:36:26 PM
Well you can say Obama thinks there are 57 states but Palin really does believe the earth is 6000 years old. Really? how smart can she be? Not very I'd say.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >