Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What's your favorite "secret ingredient"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 79
What's your favorite secret ingredient?Page 4 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
TB you sparked my memory of a different variation on chili
that my oldest friend's wife made in Oakley UT.

Pineapple in a spicy chili.
 SaturnFly
Msg: 80
What's your favorite secret ingredient?
Posted: 8/30/2008 12:51:39 PM
I marinate them mushrooms in A 1 steak sauce overnight, might sound dumb but I think they are great
 best kept secret
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/30/2008 1:40:56 PM
A LOT of great Ideas here!!!

I bake a lot....I like a little corn syrup in my oatmeal raisin cookies.....

Grated Hershey bar in my chocolate cakes.....

This taste like Orange on chocolate cakes...(Frosting..whipped cream/cream cheese/lemon juice/powered sugar) I will frost cake with chocolate but in empty center, a generous amount of the cream cheese frosting...swirl from out to in. I top with toasted/caramelized pecans, salted a bit with sea salt! Oh yummm!

Almond extract in my sugar cookies......

And buttermilk in place of milk.

I love to cook too and usually mix things up each time but the common works are:
(I don't measure)

Cumin in my tomato based soups....

Lemon pepper on fish, chicken, veggies....

Sea salt instead of table salt....

lemon juice....(lots of things)....

Strong coffee (ground beef, meat loaf, chili, some cakes)....

Brown sugar (meat loaf)....

Caramelized onion (add to soups, meats, eat on side, add to veggies).....

There are just so many....I know I'm forgetting import stuff!

junipermoon
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 4:49:48 AM
if you get a fresh vanilla bean, cut it in half and split it open, you can store it in your sugar jar to infuse the sugar with a vanilla flavor.
 InterestedBystander
Msg: 83
Posted: 8/31/2008 4:55:52 AM
when making a mexican dish , i toast then grind my own cumin seeds.......
and to a lot of Italian red sauces i add fennel seeds
 texasbaby
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:13:53 AM
Hawaiianluau,, Seriously,, pineapple??? Did she use juice, crushed, chunks or what exactly?? Interesting,,, I will say I have eaten salsas that had pineapple or mango and although the flavor was very different, I have to admit,, they were good. Tasty on grilled chicken tacos..

tb
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/31/2008 7:36:04 AM
I guess she would have added some juice too. Not sure.
It was definately chunks and probably canned. I'd never seen it before or since.
I asked if she made it especially for me (since I'm from Hawaii)
and she said no she makes it like that all the time.
 resQchick911
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/31/2008 2:21:20 PM
Add a teaspoon of mayonaise to any cake recipe...Makes it soooooo moist!!!

*Just Jim*
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/31/2008 4:13:23 PM

Lemon pepper on fish, chicken, veggies....

Yes, I've used lemon balm from my herb garden and it rocks in salsa, various dishes,etc!
 kimtut
Msg: 88
Posted: 9/1/2008 9:48:04 PM
Old Bay seasoning on chicken. Yummy! :)
 Ideoform
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2008 9:57:33 PM
I have a new favorite secret ingredient!

Smoked Spanish Hot Paprika, also known as Pimenton de la Vers picante. Bought from a local spice importer.

Its good mixed in garlic mayonnaise as a spread for grilled chicken and fish.

I put it into my favorite garden vegetable/black bean soup (everything from the garden)--you only need a small amount--and it is fantastic. It has a smoky, rich, depth of flavor--nothing like it.
 TAMIVB
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 11:51:04 PM
i actually use adobo as well, i love it and so does everyone that eats my chicken.
 oceaneyess
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2008 11:59:24 PM
Deviled Eggs.....

Certainly not a gourmet meal,but I just made this and served these at a party last week with my two secret ingredients and everyone loved them.

I add curry and some honey along with the normal mayo etc mix....

Very tasty.
 DD10
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/7/2008 4:24:35 PM
I'm a professional dinner party chef and I would say the most common occuring extras consistently seen in the upscale entrees are things like wine, nuts, shallots and cream.

Not necessarily all at the same time but they aren't things I put in my everyday food at home with any regularity.
 SummerWheatley
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/7/2008 8:22:01 PM
DD10~ interesting info. A friend recently made a simple fig jam recipe with port and shallots that was fantastic. Tasted a lot more complicated than it was.
 jadegreen
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 9:34:59 AM
It seems I use onion powder in everything these days...
 jadegreen
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 9:38:06 AM
Just yesterday made homemade pizza and I did put some sataed(how u spell that) onions on it, but had to sprinkle some onion powder on...seems can't ever get enough of that flavor...
 Passion8Frank
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/8/2008 6:45:58 PM
lol.. good question!

Depending on what your making, I like to use Sasafran (not sure on the spelling)

it gives a great taste to Chicken or anything you have to cook for a long time.
 webchick
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:50:15 AM
hey frank, is that saffron or sassafrass?? or something else?
 JDH80
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/9/2008 12:59:10 PM
Why has cilantro become the new parsley. People use it for colour, filler, garnish, if you use lots it adds flavour. But most people that I know who use it, simply use it way too often. Cilantro salad?! Yeah, I have a friend who made salad (regularly) with as much cilantro as lettuce. Scary, eh?
Don't get me wrong. It's great in the right things and in moderation, it just seems (at least around here) that it's the new fad food.
One thing I will say for cilantro - you couldn't do a good Riata without it (and, yes, lots of it). Riata is an Indian thing. It's a sort of a dip. The one I enjoy most is simply cucumber, sour cream and cilantro, and a few spices, oh and lime juice (I like a little extra lime in mine). There's lots of variations on it. I could eat that stuff on nearly everything. MMMMmmm.
 lostincali
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/9/2008 1:08:02 PM
I forgot about cilantro( coriander),it's a must have for Mexican cooking(besides chili powder and oregano).A little cilantro in salsa or in a breakfast burrito works for me.
 *Angelita*
Msg: 100
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:24:58 PM
Before sliding them into a hot oven, sprinkle exactly three grains of sea salt atop each mound of chocolate chip cookie dough.
 sumthinfrench
Msg: 101
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:28:37 PM
Where do you buy rose water?
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:34:46 PM
I have a collection of Asian condiments that always seems to make their way into my cooking in some combination. In particular - oyster sauce, soya sauce, sambal oelek (chili paste), sweet chili sauce, hoisin sauce and sometimes worchestershire sauce. I was trying to follow a (new to me) Italian meatball recipe yesterday, and when it came to adding salt, I couldn't help myself and used soy sauce for a richer flavour. I agree with the person who mentioned umami.
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:38:14 PM

My most favorite secret ingredient for savory dishes is roasted sesame oil...

I use that too!!! In something as simple as rice, toasted sesame oil & the Frontier's chicken broth powder make it so flavorful that it doesn't need any sort of gravy or sauce. I like to add a dash of parsley, some garlic, onions, & sliced mushrooms for a really nice side dish. Yummmmm
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What's your favorite "secret ingredient"?