Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do men feel about women with silver hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MsMicki
Msg: 251
view profile
History
How do men feel about women with silver hair?Page 11 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

I think that old barn door looks way better with fresh paint than all worn and chipped and faded.

Excuse me........but I am far from worn, chipped or faded......tyvm.
I can just about guarantee you I get far more messages complimenting me on my "unpainted" white hair than you do on your "painted" blond hair......from men and women both!
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 252
How do men feel about women with silver hair?
Posted: 3/19/2011 6:22:15 PM
^^Oh Ms Micki, I wasn't referring to YOU as an old barn Or any women, for that matter.
I wasn't actually talking about hair colour per se. I guess I meant generally keeping up appearances.
Sorry. I can see how you're not a mind reader.
PS I'm sure you get heaps more messages.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 253
Posted: 3/19/2011 6:46:19 PM

Excuse me........but I am far from worn, chipped or faded......tyvm.
I can just about guarantee you I get far more messages complimenting me on my "unpainted" white hair than you do on your "painted" blond hair......from men and women both.

Owie!! I may have missed something, but I so don't see where this was a personal attack. Personally? I have gray hair and I can't stand it. It's not viewable, at all, thank God for my natural color that hides the one spot where it chooses to reside. I have been told it's "nice" that I don't color, but for me? I'd rather NOT see it.

~OT~ My SO is stunning. He has gray at the temples. And yet? There is a difference between us. He looks "distinguished" and if mine showed? I'd look old. It's pretty simple. There is a double standard here. No matter what anyone says. It's a cosmetic/gender difference. I'm OK with this, for the moment. If it begins to bother me, seriously? Mine will disappear. Nothing personal to those who prefer to keep their hair gray, but it does make one look older ~ I'm not ready to go "graceful into the night." But that's just me.
 MsMicki
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2011 6:53:12 PM
Thanx for the clarification......cuz that sure read like only women that dye their hair are "fresh"...and us white haired wenches look worn!
(and no, I did not think you meant just "me" personally....but women with grey hair in general)

To each their own.....but I will repeat......Damn it's nice not to have to worry about roots and touch ups and the color coming out right!
I'll also admit I'm very lucky that my grey/silver/white hair (cuz I got all 3)
is a nice vibrant shade.

And for those that insist it makes someone look older......I am absolutely never guessed to be 48 years old. It may not be a guess of alot of years younger....but it is always younger. Never once has someone guessed me to be older than I am.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 255
Posted: 3/19/2011 7:32:03 PM

And for those that insist it makes someone look older......I am absolutely never guessed to be 48 years old. It may not be a guess of alot of years younger....but it is always younger. Never once has someone guessed me to be older than I am.

Wow, that's wonderful. I've not been so lucky. I'm often times guessed to be the exact age I am or a few years younger. There have been those who have guessed me
much younger, I found they have ulterior motives. But that's just been my experience. I am not ready to go under the knife or the peroxide yet, but I likely will be happy to do so when I'm not feeling the love anymore. It's a to each their own, I know that I rarely think someone is younger than their age ~ I can spot an age-liar quicker than I can type "How old are you REALLY???" (and I type fast.....LOL) much like actual age, there are tell-tell signs (at least to me) and I'm happy to admit, I've not done anything yet to avoid those signs, but I don't ignore them, either. I'll happily accept those white-lies I hear, I am not ready to face my reality yet: I'm getting old.
 MsMicki
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2011 8:05:09 PM
so far.......the couple extra pounds I carry seem to be keeping the wrinkles at bay!
so that helps alot! But I'm noticing some darkness under my eyes that my mother and her mother both had.....not sure there is any fighting that!

I do expect all the time I spend in the sun to catch up with me at some point tho!

Never understood the need to lie about one's age.....that will baffle me forever I think!
For me, I think that's one of the reason's I don't dye my hair anymore.....my hair
was jet black before......and I've never found a black hair dye that looked anywhere near natural. I see some women with the dyed black hair and it just looks so fake.....and personally I think it makes them look older!
 inthroughtheoutdoor
Msg: 257
Posted: 3/20/2011 7:59:44 AM

my hair was jet black before......and I've never found a black hair dye that looked anywhere near natural. I see some women with the dyed black hair and it just looks so fake.....and personally I think it makes them look older!

I also had very dark hair, not quite jet black, but close enough. And you're right (IMO)...there is not one colour/dye out there that can duplicate my natural hair colour without it looking fake and making me look not only older, but foolish.

So I use various shades of brown - I (home) colour my hair approximately every two to three weeks and I alternate between a dark/er shade of brown one time and the next, I go with a paler, warmer tone, so the ends don't become too dark between haircuts. I'm too cheap, too lazy and too apathetic to go to a salon to have my roots done professionally so keeping my hair short is the trade off.

I also have very thin hair and it's getting thinner as I get older - my entire hair pulled in a ponytail fits in an elastic the size of a cigarette, which is another reason I keep it short - a shorter/layered haircut gives an illusion of volume - it also makes it easier to hide/cover balding/thinning areas, if any (in my personal opinion and that of my professional ex- hairdressing self:).

As far as the OP, I tried to be brave a few times in the last few years and go natural (80-90% grey) but I honestly look like shyte with no colour in my hair - it makes me look faded and old, or at least older than I feel.

Even when my hair starts to pale between dye jobs, specially when I am busy/lazy and wait a month or more, I start to look sick and all washed up and regardless of how enlightened or above it all I like to think I am, the way I look affects how I feel about myself. Maybe in ten years I'll go grey - not now though - right now, it's hard enough coping with the all the other dirty rotten tricks my aging body is playing on me:(

Oh I almost forgot...how do men feel about blah blah blah...couldn't tell you and I couldn't care less how men or anyone feels about what I choose to do with my hair - besides, different people will have different opinions so Imma go with those who like what they see, regardless if it comes in a bottle or not;)
 poferette
Msg: 258
Posted: 3/20/2011 10:09:38 AM
I have loved men that have gray/silver/white in their hair. Why would it be different with me? I am getting older and it is getting more and more white hairs, but at least I still have hair right? If they don't like my hair, geez, move on ya know.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 259
Posted: 3/20/2011 11:44:14 AM

~OT~ My SO is stunning. He has gray at the temples. And yet? There is a difference between us. He looks "distinguished" and if mine showed? I'd look old. It's pretty simple. There is a double standard here. No matter what anyone says. It's a cosmetic/gender difference.

I feel this way too. I LOVE gray/graying hair on men. So darn sexy.

~ I'm not ready to go "graceful into the night." But that's just me

Nope, not just you...I intend to fight it all the way..lol

...mae
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 260
Posted: 3/20/2011 4:30:41 PM
So not wanting to look someones best by blending or covering gray is now the new "painted woman".
OMG!!!!!!! From some posts I would have thought some much more open minded..

* cough*

I am sure ruby and we other "painted" women that highlight or lighten our hair to have the gray blend or covered are SHUNNED by men

Op you look fabulous.

Do what you feel better doing.

I have highlighted my auburn hair to a strawberry blond or light red since I was 12 with "Sun In" then did my first box of" Nice and Sleasy" around 15.

There have been very few times since I have not done something to alter my hair color.
( Pregnancy) was one.

It makes fine hair feel thicker and oily hair less oily feeling.
It ads shine and bounce, I did before my first white hair poked through at 36..I LOVE it.

My choice.

Somehow this thread seems to be all about one poster now..Gawd have mercy..I should be so freaking HAWT and get so many messages ..BOW WOW me !!

Never understood the need to lie about one's age.....that will baffle me forever I think!
Riiiight.

I have found more men I know than women lie about age..and what has that got to do with hair color or any of your "beauty advise" like staying a "few" extra pounds got to do with it?
No thanks..

I can spot an age-liar quicker than I can type "How old are you REALLY???" (and I type fast.....LOL) much like actual age, there are tell-tell signs (at least to me)

^^^^^^^^^Ditto.
Check the neck, chest and forearms for age spots, sags, wrinkles. Seems some forget to moisturize/sunscreen that area.

IMO It's the WHOLE PICTURE of the person.

If you are healthy looking, take some pride in your appearance and have a good attitude do what you feel you need to do.

Hair and skin should look healthy also.
If some color makes you look and feel better why not?

Call me superficial all you want. Believe it or not, I'll still sleep just fine at night.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Forbid anyone get braces..LOL

Yeah I had those also..at 9..My Mom was soooooo superficial like that.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 261
Posted: 3/20/2011 5:22:48 PM

Hmmm----I would have guessed you to be about my age, give or take a year. Coloring is the way to go for most of of us---especially the Barbara Bushes of this world that look older than their hubbies. Me thinks I'll stick with my dye job, thank you very much.
 MsMicki
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 6:23:34 PM
Somehow this thread seems to be all about one poster now..Gawd have mercy..I should be so freaking HAWT and get so many messages ..BOW WOW me !!

Give me a break.....never once said anything of the sort .I said I get numerous messages complimenting me on my hair.....not sure how you can translate that into me claiming to be hot

of your "beauty advise" like staying a "few" extra pounds got to do with it?

Not sure who pissed in your Post Toasties.....but if you can't comprehend the humor behind my statement without twisting it into "advice" that's your problem....not mine.
I did not state you or anyone else should put on extra pounds.....it's called laughing at oneself. Try it sometime.
And maybe read the comments leading up to that post......you will see there was a flow of conversation going on.

I have repeatedly stated.......To Each Their Own........but I have just as much right to respond to comments about "looking older or looking worn" as you do to say you feel better coloring your grey.

Per the original question........I have yet to meet a man that didn't like my white hair.
Maybe it translates better in person......but the color of my hair has only seemed to attract more men that the other way around. My statements are based on what men are saying to ME.........and what they are saying is they find my confidence to let my hair go white quite refreshing.

And as I said many pages back.......it seems more women have negative comments/suggestions about white hair than men
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 263
Posted: 3/20/2011 6:54:07 PM
^^So, it's your hair color that attracts men to you here, not your posts? Mmmm.
I don't think more men than women dislike gray hair. I think it's more acceptable for women to color it, that's all.
 m_church
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 6:59:38 PM

.......it seems more women have negative comments/suggestions about white hair than men

Maybe hair is just more that of an importance to women than men... not in the appreciating it so much as in the constant battle to maintain it... it just seems more important...
Personally, I love red hair on a woman... seconded by brunette.... but thats me...

Hair is really transitory... If it looks bad, change it, dye it, shave it, grow a mohawk, or whatever.... Color can be changed anytime... it's simply not that important...

Hair is worn by the person, not the person being worn by their hair....
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 265
Posted: 3/20/2011 6:59:52 PM
Not sure who pissed in your Post Toasties.....but if you can't comprehend the humor behind my statement without twisting it into "advice" that's your problem....not mine.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Obviously it is YOU who can't comprehend humor---as evidenced by your overreactive dig against women with "painted blond hair" in message 267.
 MsMicki
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 9:13:15 PM
Did you read the post I replied to???

I think that old barn door looks way better with fresh paint than all worn and chipped and faded.

"Fresh Paint" was originally used by Ruby.....not me. I was only responding to the connotation of grey hair as being "worn.....".(whether she meant it that way or not...that is how it read)

Implying something there?
My profile clearly states I am not here to date.....so I'm not trying to attract anyone....but I do get numerous messages from not only men searching.....but also many forum readers (men and women) on my hair. I'm not bragging....I'm just responding to the nature of this thread. As probably 90% of the men looking at my profile aren't participants of the the forums.....your implication of my posts drawing attention falls way short of the insult it was intended to be.

Not sure why anyone would take umbrage to my saying I get alot of compliments on my hair.......if I was stating the opposite and saying I was getting nasty messages telling me I looked like an old hag ya'll would be saying those men are aholes and not to listen to them!!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 267
Posted: 3/20/2011 9:25:56 PM

Not sure why anyone would take umbrage to my saying I get alot of compliments on my hair.......if I was stating the opposite and saying I was getting nasty messages telling me I looked like an old hag ya'll would be saying those men are aholes and not to listen to them!!

I think it's interesting that you get so much said about your hair. I have beautiful hair and it's not really something that is mentioned all that often. There are those who've mentioned it in a first email, or very early on, and I don't usually communicate with those for too long as there is much more to me than my hair ~ but I do find it interesting that you attest so many speak of your hair. JMO
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 268
Posted: 3/20/2011 9:29:46 PM
Fresh Paint" was originally used by Ruby.....not me. I was only responding to the connotation of grey hair as being "worn.....".(whether she meant it that way or not...that is how it read)

I must admit, I was more surprised at your reaction to my post than the guy calling us ''old barn doors''!
Why do you keep going on about how many compliments you get on your hair? It just looks like hair to me. And no one is getting upset about this; it's just when you start to compare yourself to those who don't have gray hair, saying men find us less attractive than you..that's when you sound a little ridiculous. I'm specifically referring to your comments about how you get SO MANY MORE emails than I do about your hair. How the hell would you know? And yeah, I guess a few of us might be saying your mail "deluge" could have something to do with your posts in the sex forums rather than your hair color.
 MsMicki
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 9:41:10 PM
Actually I find it interesting too!
And the fact complete strangers will stop me on the street to tell me they love my hair.
Still takes me by surprise.

Can I explain it? No!
But I do know it happens......alot.
I was a member here when I was still dying my hair.....and I only recall a few comments on my hair....usually about my headfull of curls....and like you, never in a first email.
That was my point when I originally commented about getting alot of messages about my hair color......that men seem to love it.....obviously to the point they will take the time to message me to tell me so....even knowing I'm not here to date.
I never once said I was more attractive.......just that I get alot of messages that are solely about the color of my hair. VGE has admitted to getting basically no mail just about her hair...and other women I've talked to have said the same.
That's my frikken point!! You do remember the topic at hand here, don't you

Well, IME, they seem to love it!

BTW......my post in the sex threads result in very little mail here......guess the men don't "assume" as much as you think they do! Most of my mail regarding sex are from women asking me questions or thanking me for sharing.....so your attempts to insult me for my openness will never compare to the exceptance I've recieved from others.

I can only relate to you what my experiences are.....you are more than welcome to believe them....or not.
 m_church
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 9:51:45 PM

Not sure why anyone would take umbrage to my saying I get alot of compliments on my hair.......

Don't worry about it.... As they say, "Self-praise is better than no praise..."
(And don't take that to mean that otherwise you'd get no praise... That's not what I intended.... )
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 271
Posted: 3/20/2011 9:54:52 PM
No one's taking umbrage at your posts.
This sort of stuff is a little silly..
I can just about guarantee you I get far more messages complimenting me on my "unpainted" white hair than you do on your "painted" blond hair

but whatever floats your boat.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 272
Posted: 3/21/2011 12:46:51 AM

Hair is really transitory... If it looks bad, change it, dye it, shave it, grow a mohawk, or whatever.... Color can be changed anytime... it's simply not that important...

Hair is worn by the person, not the person being worn by their hair....

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly.

Ya think? * cough*

I can just about guarantee you I get far more messages complimenting me on my "unpainted" white hair than you do on your "painted" blond hair

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How defensive, insulting and childish is that?

Wanna place a bet in Vegas that's not true?

Now .........

That's my frikken point!! You do remember the topic at hand here, don't you

Who is upset??

YOU keep tooting YOUR horn.

...I am absolutely never guessed to be 48 years old.

^^^^^^^^
Keep thinking compliments are given to only you and they are sincere, with out an agenda..You can't be that naive.

I think the original topic is not about YOU.

Gray hair does make MOST women look and feel older while some women just look older no matter what.

Just like it is hard to not look washed out with very light hair for some.

The op looks fabulous and it is a rare one that can pull it off IMO.
She could pass for younger with or without the gray, as are most of these ladies in this thread.Very beautiful and younger looking than their stated age.

Every woman with flaws should know lighter hair whether gray or blond softens her look and helps deflect from faults.

Maybe nature is telling us something.

Dark hair in the black/ brunette family is very unforgiving to any imperfections of the face and jaw line.
Salt and pepper hair unless thick "skunk" stripes is the most aging on women in general.

Men..its considered distinguished.
You can take a mouse and lighten her up a shade and she looks brighter and better IMO.

Thankfully I have a choice.

I have enough humor and not to many problems, but don't find your statements directed to others in this thread anything but
defensive, judgmental and self promoting.......

What IS funny .......The thought I would eat CEREAL.

KABOOM..FRUIT LOOPS .........Whateva..Hmmm Kashi maybe during a hurricane with no electricity.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 273
Posted: 3/21/2011 1:16:38 AM
A hurricane with no electricity..you WILL be eating inside, won't you??

The funny thing is when I read this:

You can only put so many coats of paint on an old barn door before it just looks like an old barn door with too many coats of paint on it

and responded:

I was actually thinking of a real barn door. I know, it's tragic. But I live in the country and started thinking of that old barn door all faded with bits of old paint on it and ..well, yes it WOULD look better with a fresh coat..
It's menopause. I've got the attention span of a gnat. Sigh..
So..I agree, some women look amazing with grey hair. I don't know how guys feel about it. I've never asked. I think when a woman's over 60, she'd look better silver or grey. Actually, make that 70...
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2011 4:27:33 AM
Damn...I love a good cat fight and this is a good one.
Ok...The OP looks GREAT.
Some women look good with grey hair others do not.
For some reason I find short grey hair more appealing than long grey hair.
Long, dry scraggly grey hair...ICK.
meow...
 poferette
Msg: 275
Posted: 3/21/2011 7:16:24 AM
I am so glad today is one of my days off so I could read this. Love it.

Honestly, I do and have gotten emails from men complimenting my hair, telling me never to cut it, how great I would look on the back of their bike with my hair flying, etc. etc. So I can believe emails like that do happen.

Will I go totally white? Who knows. I have auburn hair, that means there is tons of different colors. But with my freckles and transparent skin, I really don't think coloring my hair will ever be an option. I can't see my having one color. I can't see me going to get my hair done all the time to touch it up. Oh heck, I even paint my own nails. I can't see wearing fake nails. I like being me.

Now if I could find a man that I dig, regardless of their hair color, that would be great. I do like hair on men. Perhaps I won't find someone that really digs me back again. After all, there is more to aging than just hair. There is the stretched skin stomach that had 3 kids. The scars on me from accidents etc. I am getting older and so is my body.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do men feel about women with silver hair?