Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do men feel about women with silver hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ideoform
Msg: 51
view profile
History
How do men feel about women with silver hair?Page 3 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I've always had very long light brown to blonde hair. I got a streak of grey last year when I was very sick. (Just like the bride of Frankenstein! :)

I have dated a lot since then, and when I have mentioned it, the men have all said "what grey?" This is a large silver streak right in front, over my left eye. I think being mostly blonde it just looks like I have a silver highlight. I think its how you carry yourself and wear your hair. Makeup seems to help me be less "washed out" looking, but I think that the best cosmetic in the world is a smile, a positive attitude and getting enough sleep.

I worried about turning 50 next week, and how that would affect me as a woman, and so far, everyone I meet thinks I am younger by a lot. I just tell them, this is what 49 looks like!

Perhaps we have all been too afraid of being considered unattractive to be able to experience being proud to have made it this far, and to have accomplished what we have accomplished. If we can be proud of having come this far, we might be able to wear our real age with a real sense of confidence.

I have noticed, too, that men like long hair. At least I have been told this by men pretty often.

I have some really cute friends who have short hairstyles--but it is the really, really short style, like less than an inch at the neck, and because they have everything else that goes with womanhood, they look gorgeous. I think it takes courage to wear the really short hairstyles, but they can look really feminine, too.

Its the in-between hairstyles that can get complicated, take more time to care for, and because these styles change with the fashions more, they can start to look dated quicker--grey or not.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 52
view profile
History
How do men feel about women with silver hair?
Posted: 12/11/2008 7:59:36 PM
I would like to feel a silver haired women about to melt in my arms.
 keeper92019
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2008 7:07:01 AM
Most men don't mind women with silver hair. I think it depends on the whole package. I'm 54 and started turning silver in my mid-thirties, and it drove my mother nuts. I'm the youngest of seven, and she didn't want a gray-haired "baby." She constantly bugged me to dye it. I never did, and I'll bet I've received at least one compliment per week for the last 20 years. At least half of those compliments come from men, even young ones. My 20-something son told me that a friend of his never refers to me as "your mom," but calls me the "silver fox." For example -- it's not "is your mom going to let you use her car," but "is the silver fox going to let you use her car." My son says "and don't think that doesn't bother me a little."

Another good thing about it is that when I'm meeting someone for the first time in a public place, I tell them just to look for the only woman there with long white hair. There aren't very many of us around!
 whytwater
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/13/2008 9:16:35 PM

Another good thing about it is that when I'm meeting someone for the first time in a public place, I tell them just to look for the only . . . (one) there with long white hair. There aren't very many of us around

Hey! I use that line. Lol. And I've been snowcapped since my late '30's, too.

does the carpet match the drapes?

Realize this question was not directed to me, but . . .
Nope. I'm one of those two-toned vehicles. Everything below the neck is original factory color.
 ernstt
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/16/2009 3:46:26 AM
older women who do not color their hair, are the absolute best, it is about aging with dignity, it is about honesty, it is about intelligence, it is about free highlighting
 scottishexile2008
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 11:32:43 AM
when you see a woman with silver hair the thought to me is she is getting old is that nota sign of a women r guy getting old ...plus stress makes hair go grey.silver too ...and bad diet
 texasbaby
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2009 12:42:59 PM
Bad diet causes grey hair???? Really? I never heard that before... But, please, tell us more. Exactly what are we eating or not eating to cause grey hair??

tb
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/16/2009 2:46:22 PM
I just started coloring my hair again after 2 years of being gray (I know, my picture is over 2 years old). Men rarely looked at me at all when it was gray, even when I was wearing it longer. I just got a short haircut because my hair texture has gone from silky to coarse and it looked like witch hair when I grew it out. I went out the other day with my newly colored hair and actually got some glances. Now all I need to do is lose more weight and get that facelift, lol. Wear your hair the way you feel comfortable with, not because someone else wants it a certain way. It's your damn hair. I'll go gray again when I get sick of touching up those roots every 4 weeks, which could be next month or never.
 *Wasabi*
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:34:57 AM
I asked my hairdresser if I should colour my hair and she said "no way, women pay to have hair like yours ". It's easier for me not to and I'm more of a natural woman anyway, minus the hairy armpits, etc. I think feeling comfortable with yourself is much more appealing than a dye job, but I could be wrong on this.
 c_deacon
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:52:20 PM
OP......I suggest that you get a nice looking wig and put it on, shape it, and then take some pictures. Once this is done, you can ask family, friends, and even better, those of us that are strangers to let you know which way we feel.

You are correct that your face is younger looking, but from what I see, your gray with silver mix, makes you look your age, and not as young as I believe you would look with a good hair color job, not a cheap one....please....

The whole point here is how does it look on you with the total affect, just as long hair will look good on some women, and short on others. Men can have the same problem as well, and some look better with salt and pepper hair, and some better with silver hair, and some better with no hair at all.

The point would be to experiment and find out which fits you the best and why, and then go for it......

Just my opinion........
 northoftown
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/18/2009 6:22:53 AM
There is nothing wrong at all with silver hair... I knew early on that my family starts early, so I had to get used to it quick. Mine started coming in in during my 20s, a little at a time and now I'm a good mix of salt & pepper. Have had some women volunteer to pluck them for me, which I refused. Overall, it seems to bother ladies more than it does men. Mostly, I think it bothers those who are afraid of getting/being older.

I've seen ladies that looked absolutely beautiful "frosted", and feel sad for those driven to conceal it, especially when they color it unnaturally dark, so you can easily tell.

Keep it how you want it, and let others make their own opinion. But polite people only voice their opinion if it's positive.
 northoftown
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/18/2009 11:36:10 PM
I feel for those who change their appearance to suit someone else's perception of their image, instead of their own feelings or wishes.
Yes, I wear more weight than I would like. But my beard is to regain the freedom I lost being told to shave it every day for 20+ years in the military. If I shave it, I have no double chin (just a colder one).
I don't know who peed in your coffee or whatever today, but your sad, cute, ineffective little barb is more amusing than stinging. (Especially because my Steelers just won today). It sounds more like misdirected retribution or hatred, and does little to project a positive personality on your part. I attacked no one, yet you turn rude and attempt to personal... I've never met anyone so touchy when I lived in Europe.

I hope this translated correctly:

I' trauriges m waren Sie Schmerzen, aber ich bete Sie erlerne zu verzeihen
 Whodoguru
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/21/2009 9:58:02 AM
Personally, salt-n-pepper is HOT! But gray and silver is good.

It's already been said, but it's not the hair (or lack of) but the woman.

(Does the purse match the shoes? Until now I had never thought of that, but now that you bring it up..................)
 dustyknight
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:08:31 AM
look at Emmylou Harris...
nuff said...

but since they have this silly minumum verbage..
Silver is much different than white. Funny how they define a male as a "silver fox"....but a lady as "that older lady with the silver hair"

Now the "blue hairs" are the funny gals..lol
dusty
 whytwater
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/22/2009 12:25:33 PM

What i hate seeing is woman with a great head of hair that don't maintain it
Men too!

Gulp. Guilty, I guess. Daaayym!
 TallWillow
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/22/2009 12:49:01 PM
But what do you do with the eyebrows?

I leave my eyebrows their natural color, just like I do with the hair on my head. I just keep them tweezed/waxed to maintain a nice shape.

Does the collar match the cuffs, etc.? I'll never tell.

As far as how men feel about silver hair, I guess it's like so many other things: a matter of personal taste. Some will like it and some won't. Like preferences for age or build or whatever, I figure it helps select out people who wouldn't be good matches.

Interestingly, there was an article in More magazine last year by a woman who experimented with another dating website and found that she got quite a bit more attention when she posted her picture with gray hair than she did when she posted it with her hair brown.
 Notdesper8atall
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/15/2009 10:01:48 PM
OP Let me toss my two cents in here and see how much it rattles in the cup..lol. First off I think your an attractive lady no matter what your hair color is or was. IMO I dont see how the color of your ( or any other womans) hair would cause a man to "overlook" you but I guess it could happen. Lord knows there are some women out there who over look me because of the hair I have lost..lol. My hair loss began in my late 20's and now in my mid-forties the part in the middle has grown quite a bit. Rather than going to the expense of the newest trends in getting it back I have chosen to shave the rest of it off. Some women find it attractive others not so much..to me it doesnt matter..I like it. If someone is willing to pass over another person for the hair ( be it color or style or even lack thereof) on top of the head rather than whats inside of your head.. I feel your far better off that they "overlook" you in the first place. Oh and seeing that your an English teacher I hope that you wont be to harsh on my sentence structure and use of punctuation..lol. Good luck to you.
 Ree734
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2009 10:41:07 PM
quote] The real question is "Why do people with white/gray hair insist on calling it 'SILVER''. It's GRAY
Well mine is white, not Gray.
And some is silver not gray. It maybe a case of you say tomato and I say tomahto.

Anyway, I haven't colored my hair in a while. I thought I would see how locs look with white in them. In some of the loc books they women look stunning. I have thought about how I will be perceived. But I decided that if you look at the white in my locs instead of at me and decided that it made me someone you wouldn't want to be with, then I would rather you move along.
 JerzyDude
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/17/2009 5:58:04 AM
I've always been attracted to women with "natural" hair on their heads. Grey/silver can be quite sexy.

In my silly opinion: men who demand blonde or otherwise dyed hair have not grown up completely. That's not necessarily bad, but it shows stunted development. Like guys who will only date women 15 years younger than they.
 pocketlisting808
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2009 4:31:47 AM
I am a woman first, ....... with silver hair second. I don't expect a guy to agree with me on everything but we better agree on how I look or there is nothing else to discuss. I like my hair color, my eye color, my skin color and if he wants to be my guy , he will too.
 MsMicki
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2009 2:48:07 PM
When I did color my hair......I didn't do it for the men.......I did it for me
and when I chopped it all off a few years ago and went "au natural"......once again, I did it for me!
This is me........and it feels great to be me!
I have far more confindence in myself just being me.......then someone that was constantly wondering if her roots were showing!
I still take great care of my hair........it's healthier and shinier now that I am not using any chemicals on it.......
and damnit........I feel sexy whether a few men disagree with me or not!
 canyunflyer
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:19:02 AM
I can't speak for Men in general.... allthough there are probably a lot of them who can't see past 'grey hair'. However, I can tell you how I feel about yours. I would Love to "feel" it!!! hows that. ha! In the end, it is all about beauty. Some women just seem to have it... and some, well.... they were just out in the lower 40 pickin' posies when it was being handed out. ha. And, it isn't about whether your hair is silver or not. In fact, a truly handsome mature woman can be accented in magnificent way by that thick silver hair! Sometimes the artificially colored hair can look quite unatural on mature people. (and then theres those blue and pink old ladies styles...??? omg.) And, we all know how it looks when your roots are grey and the rest is black...??? Oh no. Better get that dye out! You are on the right track OP, and let me say, for what its worth... you would be one of those "handsome" women.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/24/2009 5:57:48 PM
When I see a woman with silver hair I treat her with deference. As a former Boy Scout I may ask her if she would like me to help her cross the street.
 ummagumma60
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/23/2011 8:52:44 AM
I feel that salt and pepper, gray, silver or white hair on women is very sexy and often quite attractive. I agree that we men sometimes often overlook women with this hair color, even if we compliment them on it, but I have no problems going out and being seen with a woman like this.
 english lass
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/23/2011 2:06:05 PM
my dad started going grey in his 20's and was white in his 30's, looked very distinguished too.

but I do admit, I do think grey hair 'ages' a person, whether or not it's really 'old' hair... white is better - could just be a fashionable dye choice :)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How do men feel about women with silver hair?