Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 adachu
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Britishness - What does it mean to you?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
"the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish people shouldn't be considered British at all - they're a different breed" so that begs the question do you just call the English English and get rid of the British denomination ?

My opinion for, what its worth , is that there is no such thing as Britishness or Welshness, Scotsness etc we are a mongrel nation, accepting migrants and invaders from different races and cultures for centuries. We just happen to inhabit this group of islands we call the British isles and as such are deemed to be British.

The thing i love about this country is the fact that (apart from a few racist nutters) we are able to assimilate and absorb differing groups and cultures and the be the better for it .

Oh and nobody brews beer as good as us
 Talk4England
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Britishness - What does it mean to you?
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:28:21 PM
I'm wondering what you mean by...'It was 1066 since the English last had an English king'??

Reference to the fact that since that date all monarchs and their immediate descendants that have ruled England (as individual country or part of UK) have not been 'local' ie French, Dutch , German, Scottish Welsh etc. Introduces the arguement about when a newcomer becomes native.

Maybe at a push Cromwell might break this rule.
 Talk4England
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 4:08:25 PM
Its kinda true depending on how you define being English.

For example Richard The Lionheart - the great English king (ha) was French and lived in England for only a few months. He hated England but it was his cash cow.
He once joked that he would sell England (or was it just London ?) if he could get the right price. Poor old Robin Hood !
 adachu
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 12:47:18 AM
"after suspecting I might be British or worse English...I don't have a problem with Brits... "

Sangfroid - you contradict yourself how can you say you have no problem with Brits but preface it with that comment - sorry i dont understand?

Also your name is interesting , Sangfroid - a French term often used to describe a quitesential stiff upper lipped Brit which you obviously despise

I might also add before you accuse me of being little Englander arrogant Brit etc i am actually of Irish, Catholic and Republican descent and persuasion and i never intended to suggest that Irish people refer to themselves or are even referred to as British. I was merely asking the question how do we refer to people from Great Britain,(which does not include the island of Ireland), or should the denomination be made redundant.
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2008 7:07:21 PM
The music of Elgar conveys a feeling of Britishness or Englishness to me. His music captures nobility, decency and fighting spirit. I'm thinking of his Pomp and Circumstance marches, Enigma variations and three symphonies. (I like full orchestra stuff!)

First World War poetry, Siegfried Sassoon, Robert Graves' book "Goodbye to all that."

Evelyn Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited," R F Delderfields, "To Serve Them All My Days"

Jennings and Darbyshire, Billy Bunter, Richmal Compton's William books... Comics I read as a child... Beano, Dandy, Beazer, Topper, Sparky (got this one every week and revelled in the adventures of Hungry Horace, Keyhole Kate, Roger the Dodger, Billy the Cat and Davey Spacer) . War and football story based comics like Hotspur and Valiant. My sister's Bunty and Jackie with stories about heroic skaters and dancers etc...Sci fi comics like TV 21 (I won't mention the influential influx of American comics for the purpose of this thread)...

Bruce Pennington..Paul Nash, Henry Moore, Lucien Freud and Francis Bacon...

Dirk Bogarde and his Doctor films, Carry on films, Hylda Baker and Jimmy Jewel in "Nearest and Dearest."... George Formby..the BBC (especially radio 4)....

There's loads of other stuff from my formative years that creates a nostalgic aura of Britishness for me, but I realise that todays kids will form their own impressions.

I'd like to think that whatever else changes, the basic sanity, fairness and decency of our nation will continue.

On the subject of multi culturalism, I see no value in any kind of enforced "pledge of allegiance." I just hope that immigrant cultures will absorb something of the British ethos and naturally become more like us.
 Loose_end
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2009 7:08:10 PM
Pie & Mash
Crumpets
Tea with the Vicar
The Village Green
Football
Lager
Thatcherism
HP Sauce
Beans on Toast
Chip Butty
Castles
Red Telephone Boxes
Steak & Kidney Pie
Colmans Mustard
Rolls Royce
The Spitfire
Mushy Peas
Saucy Postcards
Grandads wearing a hankie on their heads
Roast Beef & Yorkshire pudding
Wimbledon
Cricket
Shakespeare
Monty Python
The Beatles
The Royal Navy
Stiff Upper Lip
Bowler Hats
Bisto
Helen Mirren
Multi Culturalism
Hadrians Wall
Stonehenge
Carry On Films
Toad in the hole
The Co-op
Woolies (sad)
HMS Victory
Admiral Lord Nelson
Wembley
Silverstone
The Kinks
Lack of religion
Pebbled Beaches
99 cornets
Bubble & Squeak
The Severn Bridge
The Channel Tunnel
The M25, M6 & M1
The 8th Army
Church Bells
The Pub
Jam Roly Poly

Well, i guess i could have said "tons" and left it at that. Well, thats a small sample of what it means to me anyway. And when i'm away, i miss it too much
 Loose_end
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 5:24:00 PM
Damn! I forgot

Wrights Coal Tar Soap. (how i managed to forget this is beyond me)
 Loose_end
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 6:05:37 PM
Posted By: paulinemab on 3/11/2009 153 AM

I don't claim to be a champion of the world

Yet on the 21st January

Posted By: paulinemab on 1/21/2009 929 PM

I am a champion of the world

How do you plead maam?

oh, and know and remember this,..the dear old British Throne was in Scotland long before it was in England,and long long before it was in Britain or Scotland, it was in Ireland.

And long long before that, there wasnt any such thing as a "country"

As for English, Irish, Scots & Welsh, i love the banter.
 Loose_end
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 4:23:41 AM
English people likle to call themselves British when abroad because if they call themselves ingerlish , most foreign folk will think them to be violent yobbish wankers

Oh i dunno mate......

I delight in telling people i'm English, just to see if they run away screaming, or perhaps, they might biff me one to test my 'hardness'.......That wouldnt be so nice, i dont like being biffed....

Northern Irish people don't call themselves British?! You never heard of Unionists?

Yes!! Unionists dont call themselves British........What do loyalists call themselves though?

We should ask every single Irish person what they call themselves, and then reveal the results. I hope none of them lie about it, otherwise it could really skew the numbers.

Spam
Egg & Chips
Chip Butties!
Football Terraces
Irony
Bovril

These are some more things that mean British to me (i'm sure you get them elsewhere, but i dont care) ooh! That rhymes
 Loose_end
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2009 9:50:11 AM
Almost forgot (but not anymore)

The Kinks

When i'm away from jolly old blighty, playing anything by The Kinks makes me long to come home
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >