Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hd-Lowrider
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How do you define Athletic?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Just my opinion but I don't consider "athletic" as a legitimate body type description. Too subjective. A Sumo wrestler has no less an athletic body then a Kenyan marathoner. Personally I wouldn't be attracted to someone built like either.

I try to stay in decent shape and workout 4-5 times a week with my 18 year old son and have decent muscle mass and definition but it's still covered with a minimal layer of "padding". But I'm working on that. What I think would be great would be to require listing of height and weight. For that to be of any use everyone would have to be TRUTHFUL and post full body photos wearing something that wasn't 5 sizes too big for them. Never Happen!
 just_kroms
Msg: 27
How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 9/9/2008 9:59:23 AM
id say for the purposes of this site and others like its obviously refering to body type solely not ability or lifestyle. Its grouped with thin, average, few extra pounds , etc.

if i put thin does that mean i dont eat much? or if i put my type as average does that mean i work 40 hours a week in a cubicle read the Times on sunday? no because none of it is referencing lifestyle.

Along withthat you can be athletic andnot have an athletic build...but regarding BODY TYPE, i think its best to take the generally accepted 'defined muscle, lean' description of it.
 CanUKeepUp33
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:05:53 PM
Perhaps two definitions....

An "Athletic Physique" could be someone who may resemble definition...muscularity...and shape.

An "Athlete" could be someone who exceeds at one or more sport

Combine the two, and you may have an "Athletic Body"....

From someone who does what I do...it's all subjective...and never take someones opinion from another to heart.
 omans009
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:22:05 PM

Perhaps two definitions....

An "Athletic Physique" could be someone who may resemble definition...muscularity...and shape.

An "Athlete" could be someone who exceeds at one or more sport

Combine the two, and you may have an "Athletic Body"....

From someone who does what I do...it's all subjective...and never take someones opinion from another to heart.

That is a good definition, I agree with that one.
 omans009
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:25:45 PM

I'm 6" 1', 180 pounds. Have no defined muscles in my body. I don't work out. I tried it once but didn't like the environment in the gym. Would have been a lot better to try and do some outdoor activity. At any rate, am I athletic, thin or average?

I'm listing my body type as thin in my profile and a few minutes ago someone gave me a review and she said I should use athletic instead of thin because she thinks I'm in perfect shape. Again, it's a concept that varies from person to person but, am I athletic? I feel comfortable calling myself thin but this whole "athletic" stuff had piqued my interest.

There is a HUGE difference between thin and athletic. If you don't have defined muscle at all and never workout, then you are not athletic. I would say you got an average body not thin.
 omans009
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:40:33 PM

Here on PlentyOfFish, I define it based on the physique appearance alone and not on actual athletic ability. I laugh when people list "athletic" as their body type when their pictures say otherwise (appears to be soft with extremely little to no definition at all/skinny-fat/has muscle, but all hidden under a considerable amount of fat). I hate sounding harsh and nit-picky, but my opinion is biased because I weightlift and have seen plenty of physiques that are truly athletic.

I agree ... the thing is a lot of people say they are athletic because they play some sport for fun. I'd say if your body fat is around 10-12% (for a guy obviously) with lean muscle then you probably are athletic (of course height and weight matters, you know what I mean). I am also someone who sounds mean but I am not.
 just_kroms
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/10/2008 11:47:46 AM
considering 60% of the pple in the US are now considered overweight to obese...average has taken on a new meaning from what some may think..
 Vintage_Treads
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/10/2008 6:35:20 PM
As a state of mind, it would be determined by the frequency and extent to which a person exercises. People of all body shapes and levels of fitness exercise, and to me they're all athletes.

But as a 'body type'? To me it involves so sort of obvious muscular definition and/or tone, somewhere (anywhere) on their body. A person can be skinny and still lack definition because they're sedentary. Likewise a person could be able to bench press 250 lbs, but is so overweight one cannot discern tone. So an athletic build is an appearance that suggests person exercises on a regular basis.
 piscescoda
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/5/2008 8:11:24 PM
Defined body, NO EXTRA BODY FAT. Working out 3 times a week does not make you have an "athletic" body shape if you're still 20 pounds overweight.
 Sam4ever
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/5/2008 9:26:43 PM
everyone are saying similar stuff over and over. It's simple just someone who excels in cardiovascular and resistance training.
 satx78218
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 4:40:49 AM
So distance runners, swimmers, cyclists, true athletes, who don't carry excess muscle are not athletic?
 Diva_31
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/6/2008 9:04:30 AM
For me I think it is someone who is in pretty good shape and works out or is active more than just a couple of times a week. I'm active now, but no where near being athletic, but I'm on my way there...think we all have different definitions of what it means to us.
 good kitty
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/8/2008 7:27:32 AM
Athletic is working out 3+ times a week with decent cardio and strength training included for both men and women.
No sixpack required either way, no bulging veins either.

Althletic is also not getting winded in bed, while carrying me to that bed or when supporting my weight standing..
 EasyRidin
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:30:25 PM
If it's for a profile, I'd say you have to have a body that is athletic.

Therefore, not without muscle tone, not 'fat', not anything suggesting lack of physical exercise.
I don't know if it's like that for everyone, but when it says athletic, it has to seem fit.
 DreamDancer44
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/10/2008 3:00:19 PM
I was talking with a friend about this the other day. The option on here is to describe body type. You can look to the other types as examples, "thin, a few extra pounds" That's more like a physical feature. You can be active in sports and consider yourself an athletic person but your body type might be thin, average or even, a few extra pounds. A guys messaged me once saying he goes to the gym 5 times a week. He was clearly in the "A few extra pounds" body type.

To me athletic body type is someone who has muscle definition. Not body builder but maybe someone along the lines of David Beckham or the like.
 shurite48
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/11/2008 10:20:42 PM
I don't have much problem with the people that say atheltic in their profiles. But trust me on this one, when they say average they mean an average fat A$$.
 good kitty
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/13/2008 5:06:51 PM
Athletic is when it shows and proves its physical prowess.
Athletic is NOT when a person goes to gym to "hang out" and is still fat.
 h_m
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/13/2008 5:47:32 PM
in my mind it works like this:

athletic is looking like your body is built for a purpose. you've built it over many years of training. weight lifters are athletic. marathon runners are athletic.

this is athletic:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6698/28522956212431071001sz9.jpg
http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/us/transcendence/running/images/russell032105

average is looking like you're just a regular gym rat/ joe shmoe. joe six pack is not athletic. models are not athletic. a girl who is "toned" (i hate that word) is not athletic. i am not athletic.

this is not athletic:

http://frillr.com/files/images/CAETANO_PADIAL2.preview.jpg
 Sam4ever
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/14/2008 5:29:42 PM
lol I bet that guy thinks he's so ripped and athletic (last picture)
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2008 6:58:39 PM

this is not athletic:

http://frillr.com/files/images/CAETANO_PADIAL2.preview.jpg

At his age, he could very easily be a soccer player, tennis player, runner, BMX'er.
There is nothing in that picture that indicates non-athleticism.
 MtLoopHiker
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/21/2009 8:26:06 PM
There seems to be a difference of opinion regarding the definition of 'athletic' between folks that try to sculpt their bodies for a defined look, and those who define it in terms of performance parameters, and don't give a rat's patootie about physique.

I'm kinda curious about that, as I'm contemplating whether to change my description to 'athletic.' I can run a 10K with no problem, can bike a century tomorrow, and can hike a 4-mile, 3400' vertical mountain trail in 90 minutes. But I still have 'average' in my profile. And it just doesn't quite fit.
 Bill228
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/22/2009 6:51:06 AM
I would normally define someone as athletic if they were in good enough shape to seriously compete at an amateur/professional level in any sport or fitness related activity. I guess as a selection on POF, it would be a little more lax, just having a physique that is toned/muscular. That's just my interpretation though.
 Jumbie564
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2009 11:12:32 AM
I can't believe this has run on for three pages.

Listen, the category is 'Body Type'. The choices are all adjectives to describe what someone's body looks like. Lifestyle is irrelevant - although for most people to acheive the althletic look they would have to exercise and watch their diet.

Put another way, if you walked in on someone robbing your house and they were muscular, what adjective would you use to describe that person to the police given the same choices available on POF? The police want a description so that they can narrow their search for the culprit fitting the description. They don't care if the perp lifts weight, runs marathons, plays tennis, whatever... they want a physical description.

Simply put, if your body shows muscles, you're athletic. If it doesn't, pick one of the other adjectives.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/22/2009 4:52:42 PM
Being athletic should be be defined as how one's self is, how active are they, what leasurely activities do they participate in and continuiosly do on a weekly basis.
 Jumbie564
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 6:57:59 AM

Being athletic should be be defined as how one's self is, how active are they, what leasurely activities do they participate in and continuiosly do on a weekly basis.

Wrong, you're describing lifestyle. The category is 'Body Type', nothing else.

"Athletic" is an adjective used to describe one's body, not whether they're active or not.

Ask yourself this, why should "athletic" be used to describe lifestyle when "thin", "average", "a few extra pounds", and "bbw/m" is used strictly to define how one's body looks?

The purpose of "Body Type" is to paint a mental picture of one's physical appearance. Someone who is "active" and participates in "leisurely" activities on a weekly basis may be thin, or average, or carry a few extra pounds, or may be obese. Or, they may be muscular (athletic).
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?