Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Edsta
Msg: 53
How do you define Athletic?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
"Athletic" to me usually suggests someone with shoulders wider than their waist---definitely not a pear-shaped body and not rail-thin either, but certainly no rolls of fat. In men's clothing, "athletic cut" shirts or suits usually means less room around the waist.

If a woman lists herself as "athletic," I hope that means she's got nice strong shoulders, muscled arms, and solid well-defined legs. But in the back of my mind there's always a voice that says, "hmm, I wonder if she's just using "athletic" as a euphemism for "chunky?" (I'm sure that voice speaks to women as well.) In that case I keep my fingers crossed that she's firm-chunky as opposed to flabby-chunky...or as a friend of mine used to say, "the kind of girl you could throw around the room safely during sex." LOL

On the other hand, a lot of athletic women I knew in college (softball, field hockey and lacrosse players especially) tended to have a distinctive shape: sort of chunky square hips but normal legs and upper torso. A sort of sturdy, strong peasant-type body. Which I didn't particularly mind, since they usually had very energetic and vivacious personalities to go with it.

Have to agree with Jumbie that "athletic" in a PoF profile refers to body type rather than lifestyle. However, one's body type is usually a reflection of one's lifestyle.
 PlayMakerJZ
Msg: 54
How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 2/23/2009 12:38:38 PM
Yeah, it's no mystery that under the Body Type category, that Athletic describes, uh, BODY TYPE. Not physical talent, not sports involvement, not physical activity, but purely the way you look.

Even with appearance alone, it can be defined differently, but I think a flat stomach is a constant across the board.
 gogirl!
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:51:10 PM
The definition of "Athletic" can be very subjective, but one thing I am SURE of is that Athletic means NO BEER GUT. I'm amazed at how many guys with pooches call themselves "Athletic." I mean, if they are going to lie about something that blatantly obvious, heaven only knows what else are they are gonna lie about... Be warned ladies of Faux Athletic Guys!!!
 CMonster
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/22/2009 3:58:03 PM

Wrong, you're describing lifestyle. The category is 'Body Type', nothing else.

So exactly how could a person achieve an athletic body without having such a lifestyle?
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/23/2009 10:27:07 AM
Athletic is in the body type section so I don't define it by how often a person exercises. I define it as relatively low body fat% with relatively high muscle mass relative to "ideal" average and gender. Compare that to Thin which would be relatively low body fat% with proportional amount of muscle mass ex. Alicia Keys

This is complicated by people with exceptionally low muscle mass and thus have high body fat percentages without being considered fat. I think these people are refered to as "skinny fat"
 IMskiier4384
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/23/2009 12:48:15 PM
This is a really good question.

I would define someone that is Athletic as being able to bench press at least 1.5 times their weight (so someone 150 lb. could bench press 225 lbs.), run a 17 in under 1 minute, 12 % or less body fat, and very flexible or good with stretching.
 JustAManWithAPlan
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/23/2009 1:53:36 PM
^1.5 times BW on the bench as a minimum is quite extravegant. I think half that should be the minimum, good would be 100%, 1.5 times would be impressive/great better than that would be amazing/elite
 FL CO
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 6:01:23 PM
Its hard to say. Its really up to the person reading the profile to decide if they think the person is athletic or not. Do they prefer running backs or track stars. Both are athletes, but will have very different builds even though both would have an athletic build. I could put athletic for mine, but I don't have the sterotype football player athletic build. I've got a cyclist build, which is thin and athletic, so to avoid anyone saying that I was being misleading I just put thin.
 FL CO
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 8:12:44 PM

So, being a dating forum....and that most individuals want to know what a potential date looks like...

be fair...look in the mirror....do you LOOK athletic

My issue is that clothed, I look slim. In just shorts I look athletic. Not to toot my own horn, but I've over heard female friends telling other girls when going to a pool party or the beach to just wait until he takes his shirt off.
 FL CO
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2009 8:28:47 PM

When you know what your max heart and vo2 max is i would assume that you are an athlete. Having said that there are people out there that pack on an extra 20 pounds and are still athletic and can jog for miles. I suppose in terms of what we think is the definition of the word athletic we tend to think of greek statues that show defined muscles and a severe lack of body fat. I ride my bike at least 4 times a week and put on somewhere around 250 miles a week so i tend to think of myself as looking athletic as my muscles are very defined, not big but defined, and i could use some more body fat. But the trouble with body fat and bike riding is that you will need to carry that up hills. So many people are obsessed with the latest trends in bike technology when they don't realize that the greatest weight saving they could make is to lose their own bodyweight as opposed to getting the latest titanium crank bolts. Sorry...got a bit off topic there :)

I hear ya. I got comments all the time on my glutes when I was putting the miles on every week. I'm hoping to get back into it, but its rained almost every day for a week now, and isn't supposed to stop until atleast Thursday. Nice name btw. I'm sure you get a few emails asking about it. I used to be able to go with whatever wheel set I wanted, but now that I'm hitting the gym hard, I'm probably going to have to get away from the radial lacing, because I'm heavier and also a hard rider.
 outdoorsfuninsun
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/24/2009 9:42:53 AM
what about someone who is considered a "natural athlete", are they just athletic by default?
 Bluegeenes
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/25/2009 4:10:01 PM
I have seen enough profiles on this site to come to a firm and unarguable definition of "athletic'. It is as follows:

Athletic: adj.; A quality possessed by anyone with a profile on POF, regardless of actually physical condition, weight, activity level or ownership of a mirror.
 James Bottomtooth III
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/25/2009 5:54:57 PM
...I think someone is an athlete when he no longer has to care about those numbers, but just gets the job done and looks out from the top of the podium...

I bet there is not an athlete that competes on a world stage that does not spend some time focusing on those numbers.

...How do you define Athletic?...

It is meant to describe the way you look not the way you live.

Yes there are people that are Athletic that do not look it and there are also people that look Athletic that are not.

They are exceptions to the rule.

So for those people I would suggest they use that text box below the photos to clear the air.

Edit: People perceptions of their own bodies may differ from what others may think. Same way that when you hear your voice recorded it never sounds like your own voice. People see them selves in mirrors differently that others view them. The amount varies from person to person.
 zarathustra00
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2009 6:31:43 PM

I bet there is not an athlete that competes on a world stage that does not spend some time focusing on those numbers.

Olympic lifters?
 Jim978
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/26/2009 2:14:06 PM
I use the standard used by the Men's clothing industry.

In that, there is a term called "drop". When buying a suit the "drop" is the difference in inches between the chest measurement and the waist.

A 6" (or more) "drop" is an "Athletic" type.

If the drop is less than 6" then you have to look at inseam. If the waist is less than or equeal to the inseam the type is "slim" or "thin". If the waist larger then the inseam then the body type is "stout" (or what would probably be considered "average" in today's world).

If one's waist measurement is larger than the chest measurement you have "negative drop" and you are over-weight/obesse.
 Jim978
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/26/2009 2:52:20 PM

I may be over simplifying this but wouldn't a person be some sort of athlete to have an athletic body? Not to say that they would need to be a professional or competitor, just someone who regularly performs in some sort of athletic activity.

Does hauling a couple tons of roofing shingles up a ladder every day qualify as an "Athletic activity"? How about moving a few tons of cement blocks? Or a few hundred major appliances?

There are still a whole lot of people out there that do manual labor for a living. Many of them lift quite a bit more weight than your average gym rat does every day.
 CMonster
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/26/2009 5:17:31 PM

There are still a whole lot of people out there that do manual labor for a living. Many of them lift quite a bit more weight than your average gym rat does every day.

Does just performing manual labor give a person the technical prowess of someone who's athletic?
 salmon steak
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/26/2009 7:24:44 PM
some one with above average endurance and strength? I known people that can run but are twigs eitherwise and people who are strong but don't last long with cardio.
 monalee1
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/26/2009 10:59:02 PM
hi.. althletic>> active and in good shape, warmly Mona
 Edsta
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/27/2009 1:51:15 AM

Women: when guys think of "athletic", they're thinking they can see your abs... or at least that they can feel them if they touch there... or at least that your tummy is "flat"... no "FUPA" as we say (pm me for a definition of FUPA), and your thighs/legs are proportionate - and you don't have bootee.

Not really.

I think of an "athletic woman" = exercises regularly enough that her body is firm rather than flabby, and doesn't get winded easily, could probably run 3 miles without having a heart attack. She might be lean and slim (yay!) or a little on the chunky side but still relatively firm not jiggly. Certainly no FUPA, but I would NOT necessarily expect washboard abs, to say the least.

Very different from "woman athlete," which is all too rare a breed these days.
 Jim978
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/27/2009 2:57:34 AM

Does just performing manual labor give a person the technical prowess of someone who's athletic?

What does "technical prowess" have to do with a body shape? I know plenty of gym rats that can't walk without tripping over their own feet.
 JHowRides2Night
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/27/2009 4:58:33 AM
It depends where you live. I live in America so when I think of average, I think of a fat person. I consider myself athletic cause I'm in good shape. That's all there is to it.
 CMonster
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/27/2009 9:33:03 AM
What does "technical prowess" have to do with a body shape? I know plenty of gym rats that can't walk without tripping over their own feet.

The same thing that makes you believe that doing manual labor would give a person an athletic body. Just being strong doesn't make a person athletic, it also involves having some type of sporting talent.
 chip1331
Msg: 76
Posted: 5/27/2009 11:39:25 AM
I'll make it easy. Figure out your BMI and percentage of body fat. Men/women with a percentage of body fat equal to or less than 13%/20% respectively are athletic. For every 5 points of BMI over 22 if you're male or 20 if you're female, you get a 1%/2% respective reprieve on body fat, I.E. if you are a guy with a BMI of 27 you can be athletic with 14% body fat. If you don't have a percentage of body fat that low, you're whatever the BMI chart says you are: slim, average or overweight.
 CMonster
Msg: 77
Posted: 5/27/2009 1:27:45 PM

Many posters are making the mistaken assumption that athletic ability/skill always directly correlates with having an athletic body type. This is simply not the case all the time. NFL lineman are amazing athletes. They posses strength, quickness, speed and agility and yet many of them would not be described as having an athletic body type.

But they have an athletic skill along with most people who consider themselves 'athletic.' It's a bit suspicious when someone claims to have an athletic bodytype without being active in some type of skilled sporting activity. At best they could consider themselves fit. These could possibly include the people who consider themselves better than average but without athletic abilities.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you define "Athletic"?